Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-11-2010, 06:12 PM   #331
3vXT

Maybe you have to unlock it or something, I still can't find the full nurburgring road course.

EDIT: I think the top gear track is opened up after you complete the combi van race that is in the special events link (you need to be a level 4 to enter). The AMG one (level 6) unlocks the nurburgring nordshliefwhatever. I think, going to try now

Last edited by 3vXT; 25-11-2010 at 06:17 PM.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2010, 06:12 PM   #332
mrghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so was it worth the wait? I'm not getting it i don't have a PS3 and i can't justify getting one just for that game when i got forza 3
mrghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2010, 06:26 PM   #333
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Geez that apex magazine is thorough!!! Going to take a while to read. 1hr and a bit before i can finally play.
Old 25-11-2010, 06:39 PM   #334
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Why did mine not take 30 mins to load?

Got a Skyline as a first car, wow....

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2010, 08:21 PM   #335
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

It provided possibly the most excruciatingly painful experience I've ever had playing computer games in excess of 30 years. I'd be surprised if the Police haven't been called by my neighbours after a touch on the final corner of the Level 4 'special' challenge after I had taken the lead rendered it as disqualified causing an almighty shriek that even shocked and confused me.

The menu system - confusing and rubbish. The wait for menus - I feel like I want to stick my controller up my nose. The music - driving me up the friggen wall until I had to google to find how to disable it. The licence tests, have to typically be within a bees dick of the right line using a goofy and imprecise controller to get gold causing many beatings of head vs wall. In essence, it's classic Gran Turismo.

At least with the 'Premium' cars as I prefer to race in cockpit view, the driving experience once you actually get into the car - sublime.

What's the more enjoyable game? Forza 3 by a country mile. It's so uncomplicated to upgrade your car - class racing is brilliant - you can load it up and be racing with any car with any upgrades in a flash.

What gives you the better sensation that you're actually driving a car? GT5.

Sad they don't develop for the PC. It'd be so much better.

FWIW - after I resisted the temptation of grinding my GT5 disk into powder so I could fire it out my back passage - I raced that level 4 challenge again and unlocked the track.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2010, 10:13 PM   #336
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

That yaris race was the most painful gaming experience in my life. Why anybody would like driving one of them is beyond me.
Old 25-11-2010, 10:20 PM   #337
JoshXR

delete

Last edited by JoshXR; 25-11-2010 at 10:31 PM. Reason: double post
JoshXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2010, 10:30 PM   #338
JoshXR

How would anyone rate it against Forza 3 keeping in mind i have had extensive hours in all the GT's 2 3 and 4 ? xbox is currently dead looking to upgrade but dont know what to do ?
JoshXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2010, 10:41 PM   #339
SeduceXR
Seduce FG XR8

Any idea how to change bhp to kw? I was possible in GT4, have they removed this option?
SeduceXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2010, 10:49 PM   #340
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

How does one turn off the music it's driving me nuts!

Must say C63 + Ecu Tune, No driving aids.. Smokeshow even on semi slicks, lots of fun.

Im enjoying it but got the Red Dead Redemption Expansion pack today and enjoying that more.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2010, 10:50 PM   #341
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

MAD game, I love it, I have my B licence and my A licence already, GT5 gave me a car from 1983 coz thats the year I was born and today 25/11 is my Birthday. Its a 350z, pretty cool actually! the handling is SO realistic and the rendering on the cars is insanse and I still have my CRT till sunday can't wait to see it then. I have about 6 cars now and have unlocked the Top gear test track.

You lot winge to much "waa waa they didn't make it excatly how I like it waa waa"
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2010, 11:20 PM   #342
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
How does one turn off the music it's driving me nuts!
IIRC, Settings -> Hardware -> Sounds (or something like that).

Unintuitive menu system since you have to scroll right to select the sounds in that sub-menu. I then think there's 3 music options you have to mute - at least, that's how I did it.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2010, 12:31 AM   #343
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrghia
so was it worth the wait? I'm not getting it i don't have a PS3 and i can't justify getting one just for that game when i got forza 3
Forza 3 is still in front in some aspects.

Steering on GT5 with the control is unbearable. On forza 3 I can use the control with ease.
Gt5 with a Steering wheel is great.

Apparently Gt5 has 1000 cars? Too bad you can only view a few hundred at a time. I hate the way the used car dealership is setup. It gives you like 20 random cars, and changes them after each race.

Load times are ridiculous compared to Forza 3

No performance 4wds? But they have slow vans and family hatchbacks? Don't see the reasoning behind that.

Cannot look sideways on the outside of the car. Forza 3 you can do this easily.
Drifting with the control is hard.Quite easier with the steering wheel.

Arcade mode only has a select number of cars. Arcade mode in forza you can drive any car in the game.

So those are a few things Forza still has over Gt5.

But in most other aspects gt5 is better.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2010, 01:08 AM   #344
3vXT

I've loved all the gran turismos (and i'm not a forza fan) but i'd seriously play this one first before I bought a new console for it. I've been playing it all day and its great once you get on the road but a genuine PITA the rest of the time. I know its only early but polyphony has spent years dressing up the same idea and it shows when you navigate the menus and look at the car list. I know I keep mentioning the menus but they are really that bad, as I posted earlier, they are like a really bad website that makes no sense. The server thing is incredibly annoying but i'm assuming that will be fixed at some point, can't see them adjusting the menus now.

The driving physics are a big step up from GT4 (as they should be) but I haven't played Forza3 enough to compare them.
Old 26-11-2010, 01:51 AM   #345
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Well so far I have a B licence. Annoying it made me buy a vehicle before starting the licences as I don't use said vehicle. I got the used 97 Sylvia in Lightning yellow as first car, have also done some go kart races.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2010, 09:48 AM   #346
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73

No performance 4wds? But they have slow vans and family hatchbacks? Don't see the reasoning behind that.
Do you mean pickup trucks? There is a specific race for them so there must be a few.

Quote:
Arcade mode only has a select number of cars. Arcade mode in forza you can drive any car in the game.
You can drive any of the cars in your garage, you just need to select them as a 'favourite'. Don't ask me why they needed to make it so convoluted, I have no idea.
Old 26-11-2010, 09:57 AM   #347
3vXT

I remember in GT3 or 4 I got all gold on the first licence, won a new MX5 and spent all my money on tyres, exhaust, gears and a weight reduction. It wasn't a rocket in a straight line but it carved everything up in the bends. I'm not too upset about not being able to do the same thing this time, I played for a bit last night and had well over 100K to spend, I've got a shiny new camaro parked in my garage now and some change left over.
Old 26-11-2010, 10:25 AM   #348
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Got up to my I-C License.

In my stable:

Go Kart
Z28 Camaro w/400hp+
240sx w/399hp
62 Special w/618hp+ (My god, go into bumper cam and listen to the idle)

Loving it so far. The wheel is a must I think with this game...Although it’s hard to come back from a good slide

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2010, 10:26 AM   #349
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Well I am considering returning this already. It was o.k for the first hr, now it is getting on my nerves. I have played and owned every GT game, but this is the first I can't use my controller properly on. From the beginning I re mapped the buttons so R2 and L2 were accel and Brake. However steering is still extremely hard. The load times are attrocious and it always seems to be installing. Your home page, well where to start, it is terrible. I am also suffering from horizontal lines when turning as the game can't refresh the image fast enough, there is a name for it. All up For a game sooo long in development it is a huge let down. Forza 3 is my pick, sorry polyphony but you have had years to develop this game right and you have not. Turn 10 is only on their 3rd version and yet they are getting it right.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2010, 10:42 AM   #350
hardlynormal

I found Forza gave you everything straight away, which is fun for someone who doesn't plan on playing it for long, but meant i had very little urge to continue playing.

within an hour of Forza 3 you could have a stupidly quick car.

GT5 guides you through, teaches you to handle cars as you go.
i've got a G25 and couldn't be happier with the driving aspect of the game.

if i want to 'modify' a car i'll go back to Forza, but for the thrill of driving, GT easy.
hardlynormal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2010, 10:44 AM   #351
hardlynormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903
- It still does not have software support for the clutch in my G25, WTF? its only been how many years?

- I'm hoping this is just me being stupid but I can't find the nurburgring. I found 2 nurburgring tracks but not the 20K road course from GT4.
Clutch can be enabled by pressing triangle at some point, its the same as Prologue.

The nurburging track you want needs to be unlocked by playing through career.
hardlynormal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2010, 11:17 AM   #352
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Im using the controller at the moment and not having issues with steering. I need to get a wheel though. Punting my chromeline R8 through Suzuka in the wet was great fun.

I was annoyed at having to remap the controller though. I did the full install so load times are normal.
Old 26-11-2010, 11:17 AM   #353
EF-MattyB
EF-Weapon

Default Gt5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903
I've loved all the gran turismos (and i'm not a forza fan) but i'd seriously play this one first before I bought a new console for it. I've been playing it all day and its great once you get on the road but a genuine PITA the rest of the time. I know its only early but polyphony has spent years dressing up the same idea and it shows when you navigate the menus and look at the car list. I know I keep mentioning the menus but they are really that bad, as I posted earlier, they are like a really bad website that makes no sense. The server thing is incredibly annoying but i'm assuming that will be fixed at some point, can't see them adjusting the menus now.

The driving physics are a big step up from GT4 (as they should be) but I haven't played Forza3 enough to compare them.
There is a 133mb patch you have to download to be able to connect to the server/race online etc. I saw a post of one of the GT websites yesterday.

http://www.gadgetsandgizmos.org/gran-turismo-5-glitches-patch-coming-saturday-27th-november/
EF-MattyB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2010, 11:32 AM   #354
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I personally love the game. Love the graphics, love the cars, love the tracks. Some of the details on some of these tracks is breath taking.

I basically played Arcade mode all night last night on the Zonda and the Mustang drag car, or what looked like a drag car at one of the tracks and it was a night, wet one. Coming around one bend, there was fireworks in the back ground which I didnt expect. Little details like that impress me. Yes I know I have a simple mind, but I have found stuff like this a pleasant surprise.

The off road/rally tracks look killer. the graphics are incredible.

Personally I knew some purists would have a problem with some of the finer things about this game, I dont blame them as its been a long time waiting and the expectations have been raised ever so high due to the delay, but for me who just enjoys the experience of car games, I love it and I will adapt to the game happily.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2010, 12:15 PM   #355
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yeah I cant wait, its about the driving.

Although when on ice/dirt I think the stuff thrown up when you are behind a car could be better, it seems the same fluffy dust from the online vids.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2010, 03:16 PM   #356
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

Thumbs up

Quote:
So those are a few things Forza still has over Gt5.

But in most other aspects gt5 is better.
Ben would you mind explaining what gt5 does better than Forza? Imo you have given a faily balanced review so far.

I have an xbox360 and a PS2 and have owned all the other GT installments.
I am thinking of pulling the trigger and purchasing a PS3 to get GT5 which is a major investment.

I have owned all the Forza installments as well and love F3, the fact it doesn't have every japanese car ever built and has more exotics is something i like. I don't want to drove a turbocharged yaris.

Things like loading times and access to most cars when you don't fell like racing is something i like about F3. I also only want to use a handcontrol so it has to be able to give precise feedback.

Some may think people are moaning when they criticize GT5 but to be honest GT5 should be near perfect in most aspects. Saying that i personally don't know much about the PS3 and whether it's processor is on the limits of its ability.

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y30...ent=Movie2.mp4
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2010, 04:01 PM   #357
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Does anyone know if the 6 axis controller can be used for steering on GT5?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 26-11-2010, 04:02 PM   #358
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Does anyone know if the 6 axis controller can be used for steering on GT5?
Doubt it mate...Want me to have a look tonight?

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2010, 04:05 PM   #359
blueoval
Critical Thinker

yeah let me know if ya can mate. Really appreciate it. I know it can be used for F1 and it would be awesome if it could for GT5. I tried to see the option to turn it on or off and couldnt find it.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 26-11-2010, 04:09 PM   #360
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
IIRC, Settings -> Hardware -> Sounds (or something like that).

Unintuitive menu system since you have to scroll right to select the sounds in that sub-menu. I then think there's 3 music options you have to mute - at least, that's how I did it.

Cheers, much better with that gone.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post