Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-07-2018, 10:03 PM   #1021
articulatedsphinx

Default Re: 2018 Ranger Raptor

I’ve noticed spray in bedliners aren’t as popular here as they are in the states. Does anyone have any good suppliers that do them here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
articulatedsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2018, 11:12 PM   #1022
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
I will be interested to see what the economy is like on the 2.3 EB in the US when it goes on sale later this year.
You would think they would try to reduce as much weight as possible. Lucky fuel economy not that big of an issue over there.
Old 27-07-2018, 03:56 PM   #1023
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
You would think they would try to reduce as much weight as possible. Lucky fuel economy not that big of an issue over there.
Huh? CAFE means fuel economy is a big deal. Very big.

Unless commercial vehicles are exempt?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2018, 03:58 PM   #1024
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew View Post
It is notable that he only grumbles about the engine when he's on road.....i took it that he meant under those conditions it's underpowered, and more because of power/weight than the sheer output of the engine itself. Doesn't matter a stuff whether it's 2L, a helluva lot of 2L engines pushing out a chunk of power these days. But in its current form a petrol option would have been nice...the 2.3 would seem to still fit Fords downsizing strategy but would it have paid back Fords investment in getting that engine into the Ranger in markets where fuel is pricier than the U.S.?
Petrol is scarce in the outback.

Diesel was the right choice for this class of vehicle. City people might buy it but it's not the intended market.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-07-2018, 03:59 PM   #1025
articulatedsphinx

Quote:

CAFE doesn't mean anything for pick-ups. We Americans don't care about fuel economy for those. Have a read of this great article.

"—meaning the manufacturer certifies the total weight of the truck and its cargo can be up to 8,500 pounds—said manufacturer does not have to submit fuel economy estimates to the EPA or even put them on a window sticker. Automakers don’t publish fuel economy ratings for three-quarter ton and larger pickup trucks because they don’t have to. And though they certainly could if they wanted to, I’ve yet to see a company advertise so much as an optimistic MPG estimate on a heavy-duty pickup."

https://jalopnik.com/its-time-to-cal...-al-1784479190
3 users like this post:
Old 27-07-2018, 04:49 PM   #1026
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenk View Post
From your comments it appears that you will never buy a new vehicle ever again
No, just wary of buying the first gen of a new model. You pay a premium for soon to be superseded tech, then get hammered by the resale.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2018, 05:08 PM   #1027
articulatedsphinx

Really good video, not just a review but a longer drive and more continuous shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR1ofQD-hlY
Old 27-07-2018, 07:36 PM   #1028
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

From the Darwin media launch a few days ago:

https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...review-113805/

https://www.caradvice.com.au/669708/...erlay-9VNe34w6

Im sure there will be more to follow...
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2018, 07:41 PM   #1029
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
No, just wary of buying the first gen of a new model. You pay a premium for soon to be superseded tech, then get hammered by the resale.
A highly recommended strategy regardless of the marque as history shows.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 28-07-2018, 09:27 AM   #1030
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:

I mean to the consumer. Ranger is petrol only over there...that would be suicide in most countries.
CAFE they can get around....hence the hybrid F150.

Surprised CAFE hasn't been canned already.
Old 28-07-2018, 10:48 AM   #1031
articulatedsphinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
I mean to the consumer. Ranger is petrol only over there...that would be suicide in most countries.

CAFE they can get around....hence the hybrid F150.

Surprised CAFE hasn't been canned already.

Also you given that petrol is so cheap in the US and the fact that ford has just recently announced they will stop all passenger car production save for the mustang and one car, and focus (heh pun) only on SUVs and pickups...

Old 28-07-2018, 11:24 AM   #1032
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by articulatedsphinx View Post
Also you given that petrol is so cheap in the US and the fact that ford has just recently announced they will stop all passenger car production save for the mustang and one car, and focus (heh pun) only on SUVs and pickups...
And a Fusion that will become a sportwagon..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2018, 03:42 PM   #1033
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
And a Fusion that will become a sportwagon..
Subaru Outback style. Couldn't understand why they can make that and not a new Fusion sedan based of it though

Or is it just because profits from mid size sedans is just about non-existant, whereas they can charge a higher price for an Outback style vehicle and actually generate a profit?
Old 30-07-2018, 06:29 PM   #1034
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Subaru Outback style. Couldn't understand why they can make that and not a new Fusion sedan based of it though

Or is it just because profits from mid size sedans is just about non-existant, whereas they can charge a higher price for an Outback style vehicle and actually generate a profit?
I'm hearing that the sales mix collapsed in the last 12 months,
of course why wouldn't it when Ford presents almost the same car
as it had four years ago but with higher lease payments..

Also heard that replacement is not exactly Subaru Outback looking in styling,
something a little different and more suited to Ford's plans, selling something
slightly changed from Fusion for around $4K more with styling that more
buyers want..

Last edited by jpd80; 30-07-2018 at 06:34 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 30-07-2018, 07:39 PM   #1035
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew View Post
It is notable that he only grumbles about the engine when he's on road.....i took it that he meant under those conditions it's underpowered, and more because of power/weight than the sheer output of the engine itself.
I'd say so. I'm sure it will be fine around town and in most offroad situations, but he saying it's pretty uninspiring in the usual high speed overtaking move.
Lets keep in mind that he is driving a brand new car with nothing in it but himself.
Add a couple of passenger, whatever is in the tray, maybe a small trailer and all the other usual junk that ends up in your car after ownership for a year or two. All that weight isn't going to help.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2018, 07:43 PM   #1036
articulatedsphinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
I'd say so. I'm sure it will be fine around town and in most offroad situations, but he saying it's pretty uninspiring in the usual high speed overtaking move.

Lets keep in mind that he is driving a brand new car with nothing in it but himself.

Add a couple of passenger, whatever is in the tray, maybe a small trailer and all the other usual junk that ends up in your car after ownership for a year or two. All that weight isn't going to help.

I get that it’s probably going to be slow overtaking, but my real question is if it is technically faster than the wildtrak, and people haven’t complained about that vehicle?

I think a lot of this is expectation management.

Old 30-07-2018, 08:53 PM   #1037
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I see it as an FX-4 with the body suspension and tyres to go with the image,
people had no problem shelling out for what was basically a $64K sticker pack.
A $74K Ranger Raptor basically tests that market even further...

Buyers for Ranger Raptor diesel draw from 200 markets, a V6 EB Ranger Raptor
would draw from two markets, Australia and North America. So until influence
from the USA filters through in next gen, it's diesel for now..
3 users like this post:
Old 31-07-2018, 02:38 PM   #1038
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
I get that it’s probably going to be slow overtaking, but my real question is if it is technically faster than the wildtrak, and people haven’t complained about that vehicle?

I think a lot of this is expectation management.

It's about 200kg heavier than a Wildtrak from the article I read. So it will be slower.
Old 31-07-2018, 02:43 PM   #1039
articulatedsphinx

Quote:
It's about 200kg heavier than a Wildtrak from the article I read. So it will be slower.
CarAdvice tested it with a V-box

The review videos have it faster by like half a second, due to the torque and 10kw more power. I can’t find the wildtrak comparison but I imagine a XLT would be even lighter than wildtrak due to the sliding garage door thing.

“Newly released performance figures include a top speed of 170km/h and 0-100km/h acceleration in 10.5sec. This is about half a second quicker than the Ford Ranger XLT 3.2 but about a second slower than a Colorado.”

https://www.motoring.com.au/ford-ran...review-113761/

Old 31-07-2018, 02:50 PM   #1040
articulatedsphinx

Found the quote I was looking for

”The biggest negative is the lack of straight line performance from the 2.0-litre diesel. We strapped the VBox to the Ranger Raptor and recorded a 0-100km/h time of 10.4 seconds, which is marginally better than the 10.5 second official figure. To put that into perspective, we've previously clocked the 3.2-litre Ranger at 11.1 seconds, but you'll be hosed at the lights by anybody in a Colorado, which we've clocked at 9.7 seconds to 100km/h and well and truly hosed by a V6 Amarok at 7.9 seconds.”

I guess my question is still, how was this never an issue with any other ranger review? I think this is more of an issue with the “Raptor” expectation than anything. I see the added costs as a suspension cost, but I guess others see it as not getting an engine.

Old 31-07-2018, 02:56 PM   #1041
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you'll find the RR is quicker than the 3.2 wildtrack.
but we all expect the new 2.0 Wildtrack to be quicker than the RR, as the new Wildtrack will have the same running gear minus the big wheels & extra weight
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2018, 03:03 PM   #1042
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
CarAdvice tested it with a V-box

The review videos have it faster by like half a second, due to the torque and 10kw more power. I can’t find the wildtrak comparison but I imagine a XLT would be even lighter than wildtrak due to the sliding garage door thing.

“Newly released performance figures include a top speed of 170km/h and 0-100km/h acceleration in 10.5sec. This is about half a second quicker than the Ford Ranger XLT 3.2 but about a second slower than a Colorado.”

https://www.motoring.com.au/ford-ran...review-113761/

I figured your were referring to the 2.0 Wildtrak, which will obviously be quicker.

This months Wheels mag clocked the 3.2 XLT at 10.1 0-100. The 2018 MY, not the new 2019 MY which isn't on sale yet.
Old 31-07-2018, 03:08 PM   #1043
Hemihunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
For those commenting on the tyres about how the KO2 existed prior, looks like they are indeed special.

Which means $$$ for me when I go to replace them. I wonder if you'll be able to order them from 3rd parties. Maybe someone will test other brands etc. I wonder how much it really matters, although given that they have gone to this trouble I can't imagine for no reason at all...

"Engineers from both companies tested various tyre compounds and suspension settings to come up with a complementary package to achieve the desired traits. The LT285/70-R17 KO2 used on Raptor might look like any other BFG KO2, but it has a unique rubber compound and its own part number."
K02 are readily available, Just had a new set on my Raptor great overall tyre
and as SVT recommended them, that is good enough for me.
Hemihunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2018, 03:24 PM   #1044
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This whole power thing is out of control...

It's faster than a normal ranger and I have never, ever read one article that says a ranger is too slow for overtaking so better buy a Colorado.

Most of the moaners would be screaming for their mummy if they were taken on a high speed dirt run in one.

We have been waiting forever for a car like this and now it has arrived all I seem to read is complaints about it's 0-100 times. - seriously.

XC Cobra #181.
Old 31-07-2018, 03:37 PM   #1045
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
This whole power thing is out of control...

It's faster than a normal ranger and I have never, ever read one article that says a ranger is too slow for overtaking so better buy a Colorado.

Most of the moaners would be screaming for their mummy if they were taken on a high speed dirt run in one.

We have been waiting forever for a car like this and now it has arrived all I seem to read is complaints about it's 0-100 times. - seriously.
Wrong, you’re attempting to control the narrative like Ford but it’s not going down the path you/they expect.....

The Raptor represents performance therefore it should live up to it’s name. Otherwise the Raptor is no different to a Hilux TRD.....a sticker pack.

Should have brought in the Ecoboost in the Raptor.........
Old 31-07-2018, 03:52 PM   #1046
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How's that Amarok keeping up on the dirt?

Oh that's right...its not.

Performance is a lot more than acceleration. Seeing as though the raptor will smoke anything on dirt I think a sticker pack is a stretch.

XC Cobra #181.
Old 31-07-2018, 03:54 PM   #1047
articulatedsphinx

At the risk of sounding like a Ford fanboy, I ordered the truck for the suspension.

Would a bigger engine have been better? Sure. I guess I have just become used to the compromise that occurs in Australia all too often.

If/when Ford releases the big engine'd raptor I'll buy that one too!
3 users like this post:
Old 31-07-2018, 04:37 PM   #1048
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
The Raptor represents performance therefore it should live up to it’s name. Otherwise the Raptor is no different to a Hilux TRD.....a sticker pack.
I didn't realize the only difference between regular Rangers and the Raptor were it's body stickers...those suspension changes including expensive Fox units and a completely different coil sprung rear axle slipped passed my on the Toyota spec sheet....and the Hilux kills the Ranger in every road test review written on this planet.

Everyone wants more power, hell they made a TV show about powering up anything from the washing machine to cars... it was called Home Improvements...

Last edited by Dr Smith; 31-07-2018 at 04:45 PM.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 31-07-2018, 05:01 PM   #1049
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
Wrong, you’re attempting to control the narrative like Ford but it’s not going down the path you/they expect.....
really?

if performance is such an important criteria, why is Colorado and amarok not further up the sales charts?

There is a massive group out there, that buy cars and then modify them extensively to enable them to go offroad. Ford have taken a punt and given people a factory option. buying something like this with full 5year factory warranty would appeal to a lot of people in my opinion.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2018, 05:26 PM   #1050
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Could have, would have, should have......

Given there is a F150 Raptor Ecoboost available in Ford’s product line up, Ford Oz is treating its customers with contempt with the Ranger Raptor offering.