Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-02-2018, 08:09 PM   #811
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2018 Ranger Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
I like driving at a good speed on dirt roads. Recently got a flat tyre after hitting an unexpected pothole in a Pajero hammering down a dirt road quickly. (20km/h below the speed limit before anyone has a cry)
20km/h under the speed limit ‘hammering’ down a dirt road ‘quickly’.

Nope - I ain’t going there
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2018, 11:53 PM   #812
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

He didn't say it was a smooth dirt road...

a lot of city folk don't understand that sometimes, around 80 kph is the smoothest balance on a corduroy road
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2018, 01:48 AM   #813
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

RTR Really Tuff Ranger.
FERG_51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2018, 03:06 AM   #814
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
He didn't say it was a smooth dirt road...

a lot of city folk don't understand that sometimes, around 80 kph is the smoothest balance on a corduroy road
Nope he didn’t - just a dirt road. Sorry just shytes and giggles no offence intended. I like the Pajeros too, they are great on the dirt - cheers
This user likes this post:
Old 28-02-2018, 12:44 PM   #815
roKWiz
Cabover nut

I don't know but just out of curiosity I wonder how Ford have addressed the frame strength around the rear coils and how heavy its made the ute?

I know Ford have beefed up the ladder frame under this ute and attached coil sprung suspension under the exact pivot area where regular 4X4 have been snapping at the chassis due to either to much overloading or fitting airbags where its created localised stress.
I have read the Ford blurb release, I wonder whether this will show up in the real world driving as most would usually load them up to the max for touring.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2018, 03:29 PM   #816
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Taking continual potshots at it is clear enough. Nice try though.
The post you replied to was my second post on the subject in 26 pages and neither of those posts I'd made at that stage was taking potshots at the vehicle, i had simply enquired as to its intended market at that stage.

Last edited by Raptor; 01-03-2018 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Insults removed and will not be tolerated. Turns out it wasn't really required.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2018, 03:37 PM   #817
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just for reference the X350D claims 7.9/sec to 100.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/626070/2...350d-revealed/
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2018, 05:44 PM   #818
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Just for reference the X350D claims 7.9/sec to 100.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/626070/2...350d-revealed/
Not bad. That’s 190kw/550Nm through a 7 speed.

The Ranger Raptor is 33kw/50Nm less through a 10 speed. Will be interesting.

Comparing off-road stats between the two - no comparison.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:38 PM   #819
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post
20km/h under the speed limit ‘hammering’ down a dirt road ‘quickly’.

Nope - I ain’t going there
It was quite rough. Defiantly not a regularly maintained rural road.
If I didn't state I was doing below the 100 rural road speed limit someone on here would be complaining about how crazy I am for driving fast. Pretty sad you have state disclaimers on car forums, but it's the way it is.

Quote:
Nope he didn’t - just a dirt road. Sorry just shytes and giggles no offence intended. I like the Pajeros too, they are great on the dirt - cheers
Pajeros might be good offroad, but they have probably the most uncomfortable suspension out of the 4x4 wagons I have driven.
About as comfortable as an old 4x4 ute with leaf suspension.

Quote:
Not bad. That’s 190kw/550Nm through a 7 speed.

The Ranger Raptor is 33kw/50Nm less through a 10 speed. Will be interesting.

Comparing off-road stats between the two - no comparison.
I'd like to see 190kws and 550nm through a 10 speed. That would be impressive.
I have to say the engine specs for the X Class is what I would have hoped for the Ranger Raptor.

Last edited by Ben73; 01-03-2018 at 06:45 PM.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2018, 09:07 PM   #820
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post

I'd like to see 190kws and 550nm through a 10 speed. That would be impressive.
I have to say the engine specs for the X Class is what I would have hoped for the Ranger Raptor.

As many had hoped. Maybe they’ll offer bigger numbers with the 2nd gen although as mentioned, I think the 2litre TT Diesel is ample for what it’s designed for including towing/carrying with that box. I think the fuel efficiency will be absolutely magic when on those big trips.

As Hameedi mentioned, the engineers crunched the numbers for a 13 speed but still chose to go with a 10. I think FORD have pushed the boundaries in a good way with this Raptor and now other manufacturers are taking note. Interesting days ahead.
Old 02-03-2018, 03:48 AM   #821
spvd02

Quote:
As many had hoped. Maybe they’ll offer bigger numbers with the 2nd gen although as mentioned, I think the 2litre TT Diesel is ample for what it’s designed for including towing/carrying with that box. I think the fuel efficiency will be absolutely magic when on those big trips.

As Hameedi mentioned, the engineers crunched the numbers for a 13 speed but still chose to go with a 10. I think FORD have pushed the boundaries in a good way with this Raptor and now other manufacturers are taking note. Interesting days ahead.
I think you're dreaming if you think that the fuel efficiency will be that great. Running on constant boost this will be no more fuel efficient than larger capacity diesels that have higher outputs. A test of the Transit in the UK (by Autoexpress I think) with the ecoblue showed that it used 40% more fuel than the claimed combined fuel consumption (I think 6.1L/100 is claimed?).

The Ranger, being heavier, with the 4wd architecture, running a higher 'performance' version of the same engine will certainly be no econo-box. Mark my words - I believe the real-world fuel usage will disappoint, just as it did back in the day the Territory diesel was launched. With 2 turbos on-song, the Ranger won't mind a drink. I doubt there will be any advantage running this engine as opposed to a larger capacity alternative with similar outputs.

Of more concern to me with this engine is what it will mean for the rest of the Ranger line-up. If the duck's guts version has only a modest power/torque gain, can we expect absolutely no gain for the XL-Wildtrak variants? That would be a bit of a let-down, as the current Rangers aren't all that special on the performance front. It also wouldn't make sense if the Ranger XL outperformed the Raptor.

I would prefer to be positive, but it still looks like a gigantic stuff-up by Ford, and a wasted opportunity. I cannot help but think about how much appealing it could have been if the engine selection didn't appear the over-stressed, under-sized unit that it is. Would anyone buy it with, let's say, 150k on the clock? What would the replacement cost of this ultra high pressure, ultra high turbo-boost, hot-running, technological marvel be?
* Mods: Fox cat-back exhaust, Simota CAI, larger intercooler, Spider iMode chip-tuning plug in.

Engine responds very well to mods, but auto gearbox can become unsettled trying to cope with the extra torque. Good fuel economy overall: 9-12L/100km city, 8L/100 country.
spvd02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-03-2018, 10:03 AM   #822
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by spvd02 View Post
I think you're dreaming if you think that the fuel efficiency will be that great. Running on constant boost this will be no more fuel efficient than larger capacity diesels that have higher outputs. A test of the Transit in the UK (by Autoexpress I think) with the ecoblue showed that it used 40% more fuel than the claimed combined fuel consumption (I think 6.1L/100 is claimed?).

The Ranger, being heavier, with the 4wd architecture, running a higher 'performance' version of the same engine will certainly be no econo-box. Mark my words - I believe the real-world fuel usage will disappoint, just as it did back in the day the Territory diesel was launched. With 2 turbos on-song, the Ranger won't mind a drink. I doubt there will be any advantage running this engine as opposed to a larger capacity alternative with similar outputs.

Of more concern to me with this engine is what it will mean for the rest of the Ranger line-up. If the duck's guts version has only a modest power/torque gain, can we expect absolutely no gain for the XL-Wildtrak variants? That would be a bit of a let-down, as the current Rangers aren't all that special on the performance front. It also wouldn't make sense if the Ranger XL outperformed the Raptor.

I would prefer to be positive, but it still looks like a gigantic stuff-up by Ford, and a wasted opportunity. I cannot help but think about how much appealing it could have been if the engine selection didn't appear the over-stressed, under-sized unit that it is. Would anyone buy it with, let's say, 150k on the clock? What would the replacement cost of this ultra high pressure, ultra high turbo-boost, hot-running, technological marvel be?
Don’t share any of your concerns.

As mentioned in another thread, if it’s power you want in a ute the TITAN is coming to Oz with a 252kw/752Nm engine. Power problems solved for the power hungry. Plenty of choice.

As for overstressed/undersized, not concerned behind a 10 speed - period.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:49 AM   #823
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Nissan Titan? At almost 5.8m long and more than two-metres wide.
Thats like F250 size isn't it?
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2018, 11:19 AM   #824
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
The Nissan Titan? At almost 5.8m long and more than two-metres wide.
Thats like F250 size isn't it?
That’s the one - big truck, big engine, happy Australia.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:53 AM   #825
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

I find it funny the banter back and forth about RR.
Its not even in the market as yet yet some confirm its all good on and off road yet it hasn't been in anyones hands but the Ford Reps with the press.
Where is all this, it will this that coming from - oh just whats been read.
Seriously turn it up.
Lets wait till stock finally arrives and more real feedback comes to hand in the future.

Titan, who asks for a Titan ? because people are going on of the disappointment regards a TT2.0D, well they don't wish for a nissan I think people here are are wanting a Ford product first and foremost.
Even a F150 is too large for our typical roads - incl Titan being its US competitor that for here are perfect for those regional farm owners no doubt about that but for surburbia forget it, we've never wished for this size.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2018, 12:17 PM   #826
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd love to know what Ford's projections are for sales of the RR in Thailand, South Africa, UK/Europe S.America and Australia/NZ as these are the markets for a diesel variant. U.S. would surely get a petrol if they get the RR.

Nissan honcho's recently admitted they focused on the domestic markets where the Navara ute is built when designing the latest model and this has been to the detriment of Australia, it's 3rd largest volume and where constant updates have been required and applied to try it rectify issues and match opposition products.

Even though Raptor is Australian developed, is Australia it's biggest market in raw numbers. I would love the Raptor to have received the 3.0L V6 tdi and hopefully this makes it into the regular Ranger's like Wildtrak although it would look very odd having a 180+kW tdi in a Ranger and a 150+kW in a Raptor.

Ford Australia has form here, NZ gets a 125kW tdi in their Transit Customs as stock, while here we get the 96kW version and no choice. Interestingly my drivers manual only lists the 125kW engine.

By the way the Raptor isn't designed to cruise the streets for well-off tradies and "self-employed" buyers no longer interested in wagons/sedans, small suv's, it will be bought there obviously however no other opposition has a direct mid-size ute competitor yet and once off-road jumping and flying as shown in the promo-vids then no other higher powered STOCK ute will keep up.

Last edited by Dr Smith; 02-03-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2018, 12:35 PM   #827
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
I find it funny the banter back and forth about RR.
Its not even in the market as yet yet some confirm its all good on and off road yet it hasn't been in anyones hands but the Ford Reps with the press.
Where is all this, it will this that coming from - oh just whats been read.
Seriously turn it up.
Lets wait till stock finally arrives and more real feedback comes to hand in the future.

Titan, who asks for a Titan ? because people are going on of the disappointment regards a TT2.0D, well they don't wish for a nissan I think people here are are wanting a Ford product first and foremost.
Even a F150 is too large for our typical roads - incl Titan being its US competitor that for here are perfect for those regional farm owners no doubt about that but for surburbia forget it, we've never wished for this size.
Banter in the pub section, outrageous!!!! Plenty of banter to come yet and yes, we will wait patiently. I do like what one of the journos said though after spending time with it - it’s not a sticker pack and shyte just real.

How big is an F150R that many would love to see here? Personally I have zero interest in the Titan, zero. It will though bring more choice to this country and could open up more doors for bigger trucks.

Banter on.....
Old 02-03-2018, 01:05 PM   #828
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Don’t share any of your concerns....................... As for overstressed/undersized, not concerned behind a 10 speed - period.
How do you figure that as use of the 10 speed is so this pitiful engine always operates in a higher rpm range versus being in a higher gear and having buckets of lazy low rpm grunt.
ozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2018, 01:13 PM   #829
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Banter in the pub section, outrageous!!!! Plenty of banter to come yet and yes, we will wait patiently. I do like what one of the journos said though after spending time with it - it’s not a sticker pack and shyte just real.

How big is an F150R that many would love to see here? Personally I have zero interest in the Titan, zero. It will though bring more choice to this country and could open up more doors for bigger trucks.

Banter on.....
I'm sure you will banter on sharon

Yep that last quote was one point not in the air, finally a performance orientated 4x4 product.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2018, 02:45 PM   #830
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 
Default Re: Mercedes Benz X-Class

Quote:
Now we’re fitting bigger tyres and wheels to the Merc - yeah righto that’ll do it, not even gunna waste typing an answer to that.
You just did

Can I remind a number of you posting in this thread that name calling, insults and the like targeting other members is not on. So far I've just been editing it out but it's becoming a bit too common for that to continue.

Play nice.

Last edited by Raptor; 02-03-2018 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Hahaha, posted that originally in the Merc thread - same msg. Same suspects.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 02-03-2018, 03:01 PM   #831
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

http://www.soundracer.se/
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2018, 03:34 PM   #832
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Don’t share any of your concerns.

As mentioned in another thread, if it’s power you want in a ute the TITAN is coming to Oz with a 252kw/752Nm engine. Power problems solved for the power hungry. Plenty of choice.

As for overstressed/undersized, not concerned behind a 10 speed - period.
Nissan have said they will look at it, but no other RHD country wants it so you may as well call it dead in the water.

Why are you claiming it's coming here.

https://www.goauto.com.au/news/nissa...-26/70051.html
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-03-2018, 07:51 PM   #833
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Thanks for the link and From the article:
Quote:
But at the launch of the Navara Series III outside Melbourne last week, Mr Gupta cited several barriers to entry for the Titan in Australia and New Zealand, including the small anticipated sales volume, costs involved in right-hand-drive conversion and the fact that the Antipodes is paired with the UK and Thailand which “are not showing any appetite for full-size pick-up”.
As we know, Post factory RHD conversion, very expensive in comparison to factory RHD.
The other point is insufficient customer base to make a strong business case..

We have as much chance of seeing an F150 here as a Titan...

although, a Factory RHD F150 might be a mesmerising lure for Ford..
Old 31-03-2018, 08:25 PM   #834
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Ford Ranger Raptor launched in Thailand – RM210k

https://paultan.org/2018/03/30/ford-...ailand-rm210k/

Quote:
As such, pricing for the pick-up in the Kingdom has been announced – the Ranger Raptor 4WD goes for 1.699 million baht (RM210,000).
= about $71k AUS

Still can't find anything firm for here.

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2018, 09:49 PM   #835
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The new 2.0 Panther diesel is an all aluminum engine so it's going to weigh about the same as the old petrol 2.5 I-4,
much less than the 2.2 it replaces and miles in front of the 3.2 I-5, maybe close to 150 Kg less which will do wonders for
steering feel.

For those of you who have actually done a lot of miles in diesel vehicles, you'll know that once a diesel
is up to speed, the diesels don't tend to drink fuel like petrol turbos. Heck, I have a 1.5 diesel kangoo van
for work and even when i fang the crap out of it on the highway with a bit of a load it won't use more than 8 L/100 km.

So i am confident that Ford knows what it's doing with the diesel Raptor but appreciate that it does not cover
the expectations of those wanting a road going sports truck and hopefully the 3.2 gets reworked and a 10-speed auto.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:41 AM   #836
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Chrysler are hoping to bring the Dodge Ram 1500 in for around the same price as the high end Amarock, Ford's etc....$80k.... If they can will make market interesting.!
Old 01-04-2018, 06:29 PM   #837
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There was a report in January that Peter Fleet, a Ford Asia Pacific chief
was in Detroit trying to secure a factory RHD F150 for the region - V6 Diesel?

If Ford manages that then I expect we'll see a bit of competition locally,
although the V8 diesel F250 might sit better with market expectations..
2 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2018, 12:57 PM   #838
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

jpd80 Ford are going to have to do something with the Ram 1500, Silverado 1500, 2500 and 3500 coming.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:15 PM   #839
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

https://www.caradvice.com.au/614740/...xt-generation/

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2018, 02:22 PM   #840
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
Thanks for the Link, Ford's three US F Series plants shurn out over 90,000 F Trucks each month,
So any RHD manufacturing would be tiny in comparison to 30,000 RHDs a month,

Mind you, Ford recently moved manufacture of Super Duty Cab Chassis trucks to Avon Lake,
a fourth plant in the US, so it's possible that RHD Super Duty construction could be run out of there
at a less hectic pace...

Don't get me wrong, this isn't happening next year but you can bet that Ford is eyeing every
opportunity to sell as much high profit product as it can in our country..

And consider this, a factory RHD Mustang will undercut the HSV Camaro by around $15K
so it's logical to assume that F Truck buyers will be rejoicing if Ford does a factory RHD..
3 users like this post: