FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Teaching a Learner Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Not according to this under the subheading 'Merging'

https://www.rsac.tas.gov.au/campaign...ules-tasmania/

Note the broken line in both graphics.
Its the same as in SA
Yeah pretty sure that is a national road rule.Don’t know why State Govts don’t all use a national set of rules! would eliminate a lot of confusion for interstate travellers
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2021, 07:59 PM   #92
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Yeah pretty sure that is a national road rule.Don’t know why State Govts don’t all use a national set of rules! would eliminate a lot of confusion for interstate travellers
Tas Gov website.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2021, 08:51 PM   #93
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
In SA, the broken white lines don't extend to the end of the lane where a 'Form One Lane' sign is installed, thats why the leading vehicle has right of way in either lane.

Where a 'Left Lane Ends' sign is installed the broken white line continues to the end of the lane as they do where 'Overtaking' lanes end. In this instance, the vehicle in the left lane must give way regardless of positioning.

These two scenarios are often confused as many people don't know the difference.
I've always been aware of these differences, however, on the open road where there are overtaking lanes, if anyone wants to be a moron and try to round me up within the last 100m or so, you best be prepared to either brake hard, or put your foot down, as I'll be coming over. Yes, by the letter of the law I'd be in the wrong, but just don't be a tosser on the road. Learn to share. Also, me indicating is not an invitation for the person on the right lane to speed up and fill the gap I'm trying to fill.

Getting back to the thread topic, the most valuable piece of advice I gave my daughter, was be patient and always leave plenty of space ahead of you. Sure, it can be frustrating at times and feel like you are going backwards, but it can save your life and contrary to popular belief, costs virtually nothing in travel time.
Old 18-08-2021, 09:35 PM   #94
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There are some regional issues prevent a national set of rules.
Hook turns in Adelaide and Melbourne.
The Northern Territory has a 130 KM?H limit on some roads, I believe the rest of the Country is 110 or less.

I am sure there are more differences.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2021, 09:52 PM   #95
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBSXR6 View Post
There are some regional issues prevent a national set of rules.
Hook turns in Adelaide and Melbourne.
The Northern Territory has a 130 KM?H limit on some roads, I believe the rest of the Country is 110 or less.

I am sure there are more differences.
Probably there are more differences,but surely it wouldn’t take a lot to make 99% of the rules national
Old 18-08-2021, 11:14 PM   #96
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

teens are a lot more capable than we give them credit for. just some basic car control for an hour or so, then some slow speed laps around the neighbourhood is enough to let them loose on the roads.
simon varley is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2021, 08:42 AM   #97
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Probably there are more differences,but surely it wouldn’t take a lot to make 99% of the rules national
U turn at lights is different, In VIC you can do it unless a sign says you cant, most others you cant do it unless a sign says you can.

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2021, 08:46 PM   #98
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
teens are a lot more capable than we give them credit for. just some basic car control for an hour or so, then some slow speed laps around the neighbourhood is enough to let them loose on the roads.
To quote a John McEnroe..." you can't be serious "...

Cheers Billy
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2021, 09:44 PM   #99
mondeomatureguy

Hi Guy's
i am a very easy going guy don't get upset that much and very patient.
As i drove for a leaving and as my exwife had just got her leaner's permit i would give her a few driving lesson's.
It started off ok but then went down hill. I would say something to her and i don't know if she was deaf or what but would't do as i asked when she was driving.

A perfect situation was we had just brought a TR V6 magna and it was two weeks old and we were driving along a long stretch of road in the Suburbs.
I could see about 300 meters up the road a car turning right and i told my exwife to slow down as a car was turning right ahead.

Instead of slowing down she went faster and before we knew it we were on top of this car still waiting to turn right.
I told her to " take her foot off the accelerator, i took the wheel from the passanger's side and we went around that car turning right and then she hit the brakes and we pulled up and stopped'.

I asked her " when i tell you what to do does it go thru one ear and out the other ear'?
If i hadn't taken the wheel our two week old car would have been written off.
In the end she went to a driving School because she told me I made her nervous".

I brought her a Toyota Seca second hand because i wouldn't let her drive the Magna any more.
She did get her driver's Licence in the end and i asked her to tell me when she goes out driving if she could please tell me"?

when she asked me why " I told her So i can keep off the road".
some people are not meant to drive a motor vehicle that's a sad fact of life and one of those people was my ex wife.

She was a danger on the road. Wouldn't listen to or take notice of thing's at all.
We once drove up to cairns and i was resting after driving 500ks and she was driving when i noticed she went right thru a give way sign.
I took over and drove to Cairns and then drove back to Sydney two weeks later.
mondeomatureguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2021, 12:16 AM   #100
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We had a bad experience down here on Friday arvo.Young local girl on L plates.lost the car in heavy rain on a bit of a corner,hit the armco amd slid down the wrong side of the road and side on into a car coming the other way.end result 2 drivers seriously injured and her parent and grandparent in the passenger side of her car both fatally injured