Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-08-2011, 09:31 PM   #1
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 
Default Steve Jobs

Bit of a downer for me today with Jobs retiring from Apple. I'm a massive Apple fan, not just smart phones. I own 5 Macs. Not 1 windows machine to be found at my house.

Hopefully the new CEO will keep things on a roll. Perhaps Woz can come back too.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...250892702.html

Old 25-08-2011, 10:57 PM   #2
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 
Default Re: The cult of Jobs

Jobs wasnt really doing that much anymore anyway? As far as Id heard he'd been on medical leave since January. So if anything he would have only been a consultant. Which seeing as he's remaining on the board of directors, I imagine his role in reality will still be the same.

Only thing that will be missing is him presenting the press conferences.

Thats what i've been led to believe anyway!
Old 25-08-2011, 11:07 PM   #3
Paxton
Cobblers!

It's just another day tomorrow at Apple. Tim Cook has been running the show for most of the year, and he has been lined up as Steve's successor for a number of years.

Like CS123, I'm a massive Apple fan. We've got three Macs, an iPhone each, we share an iPad, and have other apple miscellany around the house for internets and music.

Unfortunately, I don't think Steve is long for this world. He's not well, and looked terrible during the WWDC Stevenote this year. Sadly, I think he will be lucky to make the end of the year. Just get used to Phil Schiller - he'll be the one doing the Keynotes.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2011, 11:13 PM   #4
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

cult is right, apple doyens are cult like in their blind brand faith
Old 25-08-2011, 11:16 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
I prefer the term "Zealot", or "Fascist".

I'm anti-apple, Microsoft and Android only in this house!

Interesting that he stepped down though.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2011, 11:31 PM   #6
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
I own them because nothing on the market can do the job like a Mac can for what I need. It's very pragmatic for me.
Old 25-08-2011, 11:52 PM   #7
Barnaby

My first job 20 odd years ago was fixing Macs...have been a fan boy ever since. Have 3 here, plus all the old gems in the shed...SE30 anyone.

And yes, Steve will be missed. A bit of a tyrant at times but he will still be impossible to replace.
Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2011, 12:35 AM   #8
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
South Park's Human CentiPad episode had me PMSL.
A $3000 iMac couldn't match my new $1800 build
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2011, 09:27 AM   #9
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

One thing just to throw out there,

Windows Phone 7 is just as restrictive as the iPhone. You cant see it in explorer so there is no drag and drop - everything you want to get on there must be done with Zune. You cant even directly sync with a desktop email program with Zune - thats something you can do with iTunes.

For the record I don't like iPhones, I think the software looks boring and now the iPhone 4 just cant match up to the current specs of the Sensation/Atrix/Galaxy SII.

I will always also pick a Windows computer over Mac purely because my experience troubleshooting computers makes me know that Windows give you a lot more settings and options when fixing things. Macs just hide the stuff you need to fix things - drivers are the perfect example.
Old 26-08-2011, 09:52 AM   #10
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlerj
I will always also pick a Windows computer over Mac purely because my experience troubleshooting computers makes me know that Windows give you a lot more settings and options when fixing things. Macs just hide the stuff you need to fix things - drivers are the perfect example.
One of the advantages with a Mac is that the software is designed for the hardware so you are not chasing drivers for mainboards, disks, video etc. That is one of the things I particularly love about them.

The only drivers you may have issues with, although I never have, is for printers and cameras. These are all under /Library and if you know how to use *nix, open terminal and you can navigate to the directory and rm them.

The ability to changes things are there in OSX, things are just done the unix way.
Old 26-08-2011, 10:45 AM   #11
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

I don't think I have had a driver issue on a Windows computer for nearly a decade.
Old 26-08-2011, 11:48 AM   #12
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
I don't think I have had a driver issue on a Windows computer for nearly a decade.
Lol, I have but it usually results in a driver being made or the hardware functioning as I need it to without one.

The real interesting fact of Jobs resigning is Apple shares dropping 5% immediately after. I wouldn't touch Apple stuff with a 100 foot pole but hopefully this doesn't deteriorate further otherwise the other companies won't make better products to beat Apple with.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:58 AM   #13
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

rumour has it that Jobs has passed away. Will be interesting to see what happens to Apple over the next few years.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:02 PM   #14
JJ500
Starter Motor

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...210811910.html
JJ500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 12:05 PM   #15
Tobey
BF Ute...

www.apple.com
Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 12:07 PM   #16
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Default Re: The letdown of iPhone 5

RIP Steve Jobs

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/tec...006-1lag8.html

Quote:
Apple says the company's co-founder Steve Jobs has died. He was 56. In a brief statement the company said Jobs died Wednesday. He had been battling pancreatic cancer.

AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 12:08 PM   #17
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

Steve Jobs just passed away. RIP.

Last edited by flappist; 06-10-2011 at 01:34 PM. Reason: bit of respect please
kaniSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 12:11 PM   #18
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

wtf. rip Steve Jobs.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 12:13 PM   #19
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Steve jobs

We lost another 1 today, personally I dont like apple products and there insane way of doing things, but ,,

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-10-0...s-dead/3317496

Silicon Valley pioneer and Apple co-founder Steve Jobs has died after a seven-year battle with pancreatic cancer.

The 56-year-old was diagnosed with a cancerous tumour in his pancreas in 2004 and has been on medical leave for an undisclosed condition since January 17.

"Apple has lost a visionary and creative genius, and the world has lost an amazing human being," a statement on Apple's website reads.

"Those of us who have been fortunate enough to know and work with Steve have lost a dear friend and an inspiring mentor."

Mr Jobs recently stepped down as chief executive of the company which he co-founded in a garage when he was 21.

Apple's board of directors issued a statement saying they are "deeply saddened" by Mr Jobs' death.

"Steve's brilliance, passion and energy were the source of countless innovations that enrich and improve all of our lives," the directors said in a statement.

"The world is immeasurably better because of Steve.

"His greatest love was for his wife, Laurene, and his family. Our hearts go out to them and to all who were touched by his extraordinary gifts."

He oversaw the company's most prosperous period, including the design and launch of the iPhone and iPad.

Mr Jobs's death came the day after Apple unveiled the new iPhone 4S at its headquarters in Cupertino, California.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:23 PM   #20
Theo@BluePower
Bluepower
Donating Member1

Default Re: Steve jobs

any loss is tragic, especially for those left behind.

RIP, and best wishes to the family
03 9305 3000

Theo@BluePower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 12:41 PM   #21
BLU-DVL

Default Founder of Apple Dead at 56

Jobs, who underwent an operation for pancreatic cancer in 2004 and a liver transplant in 2009, had remained with Apple as chairman of the board of directors.

Apple released a statement confirming Jobs' death.

"We are deeply saddened to announce that Steve Jobs passed away today," the statement said.

"Steve's brilliance, passion and energy were the source of countless innovations that enrich and improve all of our lives. The world is immeasurably better because of Steve.

His greatest love was for his wife, Laurene, and his family. Our hearts go out to them and to all who were touched by his extraordinary gifts."

Jobs resigned as Apple CEO in August with Tim Cook named as his successor.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:48 PM   #22
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Default Re: Founder of Apple Dead at 56

We dont need 3 threads on the topic.
Also this isnt to discuss the apple product either so any 'anti apple' people refrain, its not hard.

RIP Steve Jobs
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 01:15 PM   #23
XESP351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ500
VERY good article.

RIP Steve Jobs.
XESP351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 01:16 PM   #24
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XESP351
VERY good article.

RIP Steve Jobs.
That was a good article. This is a great speech he gave too

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2005/j...bs-061505.html
Old 06-10-2011, 01:21 PM   #25
dawsman
FG GT 335 Owner

Even though this was expected, it's still a shock that such an influential person like Steve Jobs is no longer with us. RIP Steve.

TOY: 2011 FG GT 335 #0498, Nitro, 6sp MANUAL, 18% tint, Herrod K&N Filter, Herrod-JLT oil breather, Manta twin 3" s/s cat-back exhaust, Shockworks adjustable coilovers, R-Spec wheels (build thread)

DAILY: 2015 PXII Ranger Wildtrak, Pride Orange, 6sp auto, tech pack (pics here)

BEFORE: 2005 Mercury Silver BF XR8 ZF Auto, 20% tint, custom 2.5" cat-back exhaust, Advanti Zeta 19" wheels (found it!)
dawsman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 01:21 PM   #26
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

RIP Steve Jobs.

Would be nice if a condolence thread didn't escalate into Android v Apple thread. Let's thing of nice things to say, not look to negatives.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 01:21 PM   #27
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
Bit of a downer for me today with Jobs retiring from Apple. I'm a massive Apple fan, not just smart phones. I own 5 Macs. Not 1 windows machine to be found at my house.

Hopefully the new CEO will keep things on a roll. Perhaps Woz can come back too.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...250892702.html
Still a young man , also shows all that $$ and power and he could't save himself
Shame it happened .
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 01:33 PM   #28
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Steve Jobs - Amazing Incredible contributor to all things technology....

Sad - but was inevitable with Pancreatic Cancer.... Nobody survives that one...

RIP
Old 06-10-2011, 01:47 PM   #29
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Incredibly young to go at 56 years of age.

What he achived and has given us has re-formed our lives in business and personal. Let's face it, iPhones, iTunes, iPod, iPads plus all of the other Mac gear. These items are now a way of life and a way of doing business.

RIP Steve, your achievements will not be forgotten.
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 01:53 PM   #30
BHDOGS
Banned

RIP jobs

Last edited by flappist; 06-10-2011 at 02:35 PM. Reason: not needed
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post