Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 30-09-2011, 10:17 PM   #31
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Default Re: Plumber rip-off?

id be very happy to pay 225 for that job.

im a carpenter and if i only charged for the time on the tools on the days where i drive around doing 10min jobs id earn 2 hours pay in a day. cant pay the bills on $130 or even fill the ute.

my girlfriend is a lawyer and she is charged out at $400 an hour at 6min sections even if she is only on that task for a 2min phone call. so be glad it wasnt her you needed.

and to the ones saying dont give it a go your self- do it and if it works, sweet you saved your self some money, if not it will cost you the same as if you got someone out in the first place.
Old 30-09-2011, 10:33 PM   #32
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain awesome
id be very happy to pay 225 for that job.

im a carpenter and if i only charged for the time on the tools on the days where i drive around doing 10min jobs id earn 2 hours pay in a day. cant pay the bills on $130 or even fill the ute.

my girlfriend is a lawyer and she is charged out at $400 an hour at 6min sections even if she is only on that task for a 2min phone call. so be glad it wasnt her you needed.

and to the ones saying dont give it a go your self- do it and if it works, sweet you saved your self some money, if not it will cost you the same as if you got someone out in the first place

Or could cost significantly more. Many home 'handy men' stuff up even easy tasks, resulting in much larger bills. Especially when it is a licenced task, like plumbing or electrical. There is a reason why you have to have a licence to legally do it.
Old 30-09-2011, 10:38 PM   #33
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

and results in more money for me. win win
Old 30-09-2011, 10:49 PM   #34
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Why do you need to be licenced to do plumbing or electricial work around your house but anybody can legally work on their car??

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
Old 30-09-2011, 11:18 PM   #35
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
Why do you need to be licenced to do plumbing or electricial work around your house but anybody can legally work on their car??
Table 3: Your can of worms is ready.
Old 30-09-2011, 11:25 PM   #36
AMGC63
Banned

Food for thought.... It costs $45.00 to raise an invoice, on average $90.00 per hr to provide a tradie and cover overheads... Travelling to a job is still part of the job, someone has to pay their wages whether they're driving or working....
Old 30-09-2011, 11:52 PM   #37
dawsman
FG GT 335 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMGC63
Food for thought.... It costs $45.00 to raise an invoice, on average $90.00 per hr to provide a tradie and cover overheads... Travelling to a job is still part of the job, someone has to pay their wages whether they're driving or working....
Yeah, hence my comment about arranging this repair through the hot water system manufacturer. Private plumber might have been cheaper. Having said that, it sounds like I paid the going rate anyway, so no dramas.

TOY: 2011 FG GT 335 #0498, Nitro, 6sp MANUAL, 18% tint, Herrod K&N Filter, Herrod-JLT oil breather, Manta twin 3" s/s cat-back exhaust, Shockworks adjustable coilovers, R-Spec wheels (build thread)

DAILY: 2015 PXII Ranger Wildtrak, Pride Orange, 6sp auto, tech pack (pics here)

BEFORE: 2005 Mercury Silver BF XR8 ZF Auto, 20% tint, custom 2.5" cat-back exhaust, Advanti Zeta 19" wheels (found it!)
Old 01-10-2011, 12:00 AM   #38
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
because if you house floods or burns down and insurance finds out its caused from dodgy work you will not get a pay out.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:16 AM   #39
sudszy
Banned

it would pay to call a local plumber, at least they wont be compelled to charge you for travel time.

Most people here say the charge was the going rate so its all ok?

Good luck to plumbers and sparkies charging what they do and maintaining enough business to put them in the big $.

Its no surprise though, trades have been discouraged in the last 25 years and now we are paying the price for a lack of competition.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:31 AM   #40
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain awesome
because if you house floods or burns down and insurance finds out its caused from dodgy work you will not get a pay out.
What about if you change your brakes and run into something?
Old 01-10-2011, 08:37 AM   #41
AMGC63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudszy
it would pay to call a local plumber, at least they wont be compelled to charge you for travel time.

Most people here say the charge was the going rate so its all ok?

Good luck to plumbers and sparkies charging what they do and maintaining enough business to put them in the big $.

Its no surprise though, trades have been discouraged in the last 25 years and now we are paying the price for a lack of competition.
So out of curiosity who pays for their wages while they're actually driving??????
Minimum call out fee is just common sense.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:07 AM   #42
Rambunctious

I could put up an answer/argument to just about every reply to this post but I will stick to the important points.
The valves on water heaters are there to stop damage from over pressure/over temperature and there are different valves for different heaters, and if the valve is not the correct one or is installed incorrectly, the heater can explode. One blew up in Queensland recently.
Here is mythbusters link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGWmONHipVo

Not only that, the heater in question had gas connected. Some years ago I saw a friend with severe facial burns from working on his own gas water heater. He had seen me install it a few years earlier and he thought it looked easy as well.

In answer to ratter re why do you need to be licensed for plumbing/electrical let me answer your question.

Plumbing...Plumbers protect your health just as you, hopefully, protect peoples well being by making their car safe.
Electrical...I posted here just last week..12 volt kicks...240 volt kills.

Retired plumber, drainer, gas fitter, restricted electrical
Old 01-10-2011, 11:59 AM   #43
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambunctious
In answer to ratter re why do you need to be licensed for plumbing/electrical let me answer your question.

Plumbing...Plumbers protect your health just as you, hopefully, protect peoples well being by making their car safe.
Electrical...I posted here just last week..12 volt kicks...240 volt kills.
Understand your answer and agree to a certain point, but any person can go work on their car, in fact a few years ago supercheap were selling brake pads and supplying a generic set of instructions how to do it, if you need those, you should not be doing the job.
Not taking anything away from plumbers or sparkies, but there are plenty of other jobs/careers that have peoples safety in mind and these trades do not need a licence.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:04 PM   #44
CJR09
RPO 77

Quote:
Understand your answer and agree to a certain point, but any person can go work on their car, in fact a few years ago supercheap were selling brake pads and supplying a generic set of instructions how to do it, if you need those, you should not be doing the job.
Not taking anything away from plumbers or sparkies, but there are plenty of other jobs/careers that have peoples safety in mind and these trades do not need a licence.
well maybe they do need a license? case in point above?

if there are issues with motor vehicle industries then they need to be taken up with respective governing bodies

irrelevant what you can/cant do in motor vehicle industry anyway - the point here is anything to do with plumbing/gas/drainage/electrical a license IS required to ensure public safety and if work is done by unlicensed persons then insurance is null and void and the persons doing the work face criminal prosecution - people should not be advising on and encouraging illegal work

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

Old 01-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #45
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJR09
well maybe they do need a license? case in point above?

if there are issues with motor vehicle industries then they need to be taken up with respective governing bodies

irrelevant what you can/cant do in motor vehicle industry anyway - the point here is anything to do with plumbing/gas/drainage/electrical a license IS required to ensure public safety and if work is done by unlicensed persons then insurance is null and void and the persons doing the work face criminal prosecution - people should not be advising on and encouraging illegal work
am I allowed to change a tap washer myself, or do I have to spend $120 on a plumber every time a tap drips?
Old 01-10-2011, 02:31 PM   #46
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what about a light globe?

Old 01-10-2011, 03:00 PM   #47
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

We had a plumber at home for two hours, moving a pipe and adding some copper piping for the laundry - $850, he put in a new tub as well. Materials equated to about $300 bucks, the rest was labour...

You will find the cost of things increases with anyone who is actually running a legitimate business, as they have public liability costs (which on the cheap side is $80 a month), business expenses, accounting fees, licencing fees, registration, fuel costs, etc. Granted, some of that comes back to them, but they're not always employed 365 days of the year, if they have staff they have workers comp, superannuation, wages, etc.

You payed less for the plumber's labour than a washing machine technician was going to charge me for a callout before he even touched the machine...

As for why anyone can work on their car...well...because there's no law saying you can't (or shouldn't).

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 01-10-2011, 03:30 PM   #48
Rambunctious

Quote:
am I allowed to change a tap washer myself, or do I have to spend $120 on a plumber every time a tap drips?
Legally, where town water is connected, you are not allowed to touch anything up to and including the tap, but the funny thing about licensing of trades is that it is only the tradies who cop the fines for not doing the job in the correct manner.
Changing a tap washer is only part of the dripping problem, the tap must be serviced and lubricated and in good condition, and the tap seat must also be in good condition or it needs to be recut.
My taps and the washers I use usually give me trouble free motoring for about 10 to 15 years.
This link should handle any further questions.

http://www.servicecentral.com.au/res...fessional/1260

Last edited by Rambunctious; 01-10-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:31 PM   #49
CJR09
RPO 77

Quote:

a washer you are allowed to change yourself

Quote:

a light globe is outside the scope of works as a plumber

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

Old 01-10-2011, 03:36 PM   #50
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Depending on what sort it sometimes yes, sometimes no.

If the question is can you legally change a domestic light globe fitted to a BC or ES socket that has been installed by a licensed electrician on your own property then yes.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:09 PM   #51
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

I came home at 2 am on the Monday just past to find the back garden by the house slab had a new fountain, turned off the water and dug out around the new fountain to find the elbow bringing the water up over the slab and into the house had blown. Removed the offending elbow and replaced with a new i had, turned on the water, no leaks, filled in the hole all good...

Time = 40mins
Cost = Zero $$

Bugger paying for someone to come out at 2am to fix something i am quite capable of doing me self...

(Electrical i leave to the experts, i hate electricity )

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 01-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #52
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL]
sorry to add a bit more of reality yo your thread but that is the LAW these days to get QUALIFIED TRADIES to do the work
so its illeagl to do work on your own plumbing.

what is the charge? illeagel fixing of a leaking pipe?

I think if I went to the local Police shop, and confessed that i changed a washers with out a lincese, it would be a joke. I know this example is a stretch, but it is your claim.

I think you may be mistaken.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:37 PM   #53
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke
so its illeagl to do work on your own plumbing.

what is the charge? illeagel fixing of a leaking pipe?

I think if I went to the local Police shop, and confessed that i changed a washers with out a lincese, it would be a joke. I know this example is a stretch, but it is your claim.

I think you may be mistaken.
Actually yes it is. There are laws on this and if you do not comply you can be charged.
You can also void you insurance e.g. water damage.
With unlicensed electrical work if your house burns down or worse burns down the one next door as well you will have no insurance and will possibly end up in jail.

When I was in my late teens, early 20s I worked at the electricity supply board and there were several people charged with unlicensed work on their own homes which usually lead to them being ordered to have it re-wired by a professional except for one case in Howard where the amateur electrician was fined $3000 and THEN had his electricity disconnected until his whole hose was redone.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:43 PM   #54
gtfpv
GT

dont worry mate , been there done that . in 1993 when i bought my 1st home and moved in , a day later the aarm started beeping , i looked at the sticker on the alarm and called the company who said its a $150 call out + parts . i reluctantly accepted as it was my 1st home and i had no idea what it was .
the next day this real big fat person came out to the house , and i could not tell if it was a woman or a man , so called it buddy , and got some really weird looks .
the person went to the fridge area , and turned the powerpoint on .

we've all been there . next time look at it 1st and see if you can do it before grabbing a phone , also with things like that ask the neighbours houses all have the same problems and neighbours most likely have done it . or can tell you how . cheers .
DID YOU PAY TOO MUCH ??? NOOOO you just didnt know how to do it . your problem not the plumbers . think of all the money the plumber loses by people who know how to do this simple job .
Old 01-10-2011, 05:04 PM   #55
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Actually yes it is. There are laws on this and if you do not comply you can be charged.
You can also void you insurance e.g. water damage.
With unlicensed electrical work if your house burns down or worse burns down the one next door as well you will have no insurance and will possibly end up in jail.

When I was in my late teens, early 20s I worked at the electricity supply board and there were several people charged with unlicensed work on their own homes which usually lead to them being ordered to have it re-wired by a professional except for one case in Howard where the amateur electrician was fined $3000 and THEN had his electricity disconnected until his whole hose was redone.
i get that about the electrical side or it, and about voiding insurance and warranties etc. but it just doesn,t sound right that its aganist the law to fix a leaking pipe ,to me it sounds ridiculous. well if thats the fact then i must be a crimial.
all i hope is that there is no busted pipes until i can hand myself into the police, as i,m affraid there will be a strong urge to fix it. as i have live stock , i hope they can surive until a plumber can be found.
hopefully i'll get away with a good behaver bond.

but like i said, it seems a bit of silly to me.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:17 PM   #56
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
i get that about the electrical side or it, and about voiding insurance and warranties etc. but it just doesn,t sound right that its aganist the law to fix a leaking pipe ,to me it sounds ridiculous. well if thats the fact then i must be a crimial.
all i hope is that there is no busted pipes until i can hand myself into the police, as i,m affraid there will be a strong urge to fix it. as i have live stock , i hope they can surive until a plumber can be found.

ACTUALLY there is more to it than that ,your expansion valve has to comply , and also be the right pressure relief kpa , for the system , also the condition of the tank etc needs to be checked . say for instance you fit the wrong expansion valve which causes a tank leak causing hot water burns , or flooding to someones body/or property . it's not just black and white .
if i licenced plumber makes a mistake like that , his liability insurance will cover the damage. if you do the mistake than no insurance . it's as simple as that .
and the plumber is much more unlikely to make an error .
Old 01-10-2011, 07:19 PM   #57
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Laws don't always make sense and are sometimes leftovers from a bygone era (like speed limits) but remember that plumbers worked in Lead (hence the name) use very dangerous chemicals like MEKP etc. and not only work on water pipes but also sewerage which has significant health issues.

Bottom line, you asked and were answered by several people who actually do this stuff for a living and all said the same thing so it is probably right.......
Old 01-10-2011, 07:26 PM   #58
CJR09
RPO 77

FFS people - it is a criminal offence

more often than not unlicensed persons undertaking illegal work are fined generally to the tune of 2-3k through court proceedings chargeable under the plumbers act, pretty sure its got nothing to do with the cops anyone can bring these charges (although if someone was blown up then you can rest assured they will be!)

if the wrong expansion valve is selected for replacement then a) if the pressure/kW rating is too high the risks of explosion increase (which are very real) - b) if too low then energy efficiency goes out the window

Old 01-10-2011, 07:30 PM   #59
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
What about if you change your brakes and run into something?
im not a mechanic but id say you might be in some trouble if that was the cause of the crash.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:09 PM   #60
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK, the story has been told and the question and answer time is now at an end.
Closed Thread