Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-08-2011, 09:55 PM   #31
Bobman
Regulator

Default Re: Another Qantas flight goes wrong...

The highest death toll in an Australian aviation disaster was 40 in 1943 and that was a military flight.

The largest plane to ever crash in Australia was a RAAF Boeing 707 off East Sale, Victoria with the loss of 5 lives.

I don't think we have much to worry about anymore here, considering we got through the 70s, 80s & 90s, which were the worst decades in aviation safety globally.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2011, 10:02 PM   #32
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
ive been on 40+ qantas flights in the last 10 months i reckon and not one issue...

i'm day tripping to karratha tomorrow, 737 there, 717 back and you make me nervous about the engine popping ha ha

the only issue ive had in a flight was on a skywest flight from Esperance back to Perth and it was too turbulent to serve lunch. I was so hungry :(
Something in this post, now it seems people always focus on the negatives no matter what.
No im not sayin this isnt a serious issue or any other for that matter but how about some focus on the positives like the above post.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2011, 10:41 PM   #33
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

QANTAS have out scourced to remain competitive against the newer state backed airlanes from the Middle East. How else are they meant to do it? People will fly with who's best for their wallets, no different to what we buy. Another thing, could the rise in faults simply be from the rise in media reports about them...? As in they were always there it's just we're paying more attention to them now...
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2011, 08:17 AM   #34
dags41v
Black 2006 XR8

I will continue to fly Qantas despite the rise in reported incidents but the new Q bag tags have me a bit baffled. Out of the last 5 trips I have been on, twice my bags have gone on their own holiday before joining me later ........ sort of ruins the convenience.
Old 27-08-2011, 11:00 AM   #35
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

pics of bags laying on beach sipping cocktails ??
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2011, 09:33 PM   #36
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
I'd do about 80 to 90 Qantas flights a year, sometimes more. The newer planes are OK but the 767s are a pile of junk for reliability. Nice plane in their time but they are due to be pensioned off.
Agreed. everytime i hop on a 767 i cringe... the A330's are great though!!! I saw a 747 pull up at the domestic terminal in Perth the other day, and even that was looking a bit worse for wear (externally) :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedutchman92
717 mate...I would be nervous
HA HA no issues!!! I had the nice sandwich pack too! Salami with cheese and roasted capsicum relish!! Better than the usual lettuce/chicken ones you get on 717's ha ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Something in this post, now it seems people always focus on the negatives no matter what.
No im not sayin this isnt a serious issue or any other for that matter but how about some focus on the positives like the above post.

I definately see where you are coming from Dallas, and im not a nervous flier lol but the more I watch Air Crash Investigation and the like, and hear about planes breaking in WA (esp going to Newman) when as soon as they build a Maccas there, ill be heading up that way, makes me a touch nervous ha ha
Old 05-10-2011, 01:16 AM   #37
BAGT514
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well,

SUPRISE SUPRISE

The 2pm Qantas flight from Newman to Perth popped an engine today not long after take-off....

"Semi - Silhouette" 2003 BAGT #514
2007 GT500 factory supercharged motor built!

Sensation Blue 2011 FG GT-P # 101
KPM Streetfighter Monster
5.2lt MMR short motor / Stage 3 MMR heads / Boss 302 Exhaust cams
FR20 Simmons / Tein Coilovers / Eaton Tru Track / Very scared 305/25/20" Nitto Invo's
ZF fitted with a NIZPRO Stage 2 input shaft & Excedy Clutches
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11408502
BAGT514 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 09:25 AM   #38
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Meh.
There's issues with all airlines. I've seen a Delta DC10 pop its number 2 (in the tail) on the ramp.
I've seen a BA747 pop number 3 shortly after rotation, only to declare it would continue on 3 engines. It later declared a fuel emergency and diverted.

I've also seen up close and personal the new 787 that will replace the 767 starting next year; be excited, it's going to revolutionise flying.
As for the engineers going offshore, it's nothing new, although over 93% of maintenance gets done here.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 09:31 AM   #39
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

I'm flying out in 5 hours...
Only 3 hour flight to N.Z...
We trust these people big time...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 10:18 AM   #40
richo77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To the OP, if you are so concerned about Qantas then i'd suggest to stop flying. It's that simple. Is anyone holding a gun to your head to get on that plane? I'm sure you could find a local job in QLD less than an hours drive from home but you fly because you want more money, which I dont fault you for by the way.

Planes or anything else mechanical will fail, no matter where it gets serviced or by whom.
richo77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 01:51 AM   #41
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its false ecconomy sending maintenance overseas to another company. For example when heavy maintenance was in Sydney. If an aircraft had a problem, there was a ready supply of parts. Now they have to be hired from other companies to get them through. because they cant grab an engine or other parts of an another aircraft that wont be flying for a while while its being re furbished.

Also theres a case where they get delays in asia when a Qanats plane gets put on the waiting list because another companies aircraft jumps the que because they pay more. Hence lost profits because the aircraft is out of action for longer than necessary. Then when it gets back the job sometimes isnt doen properly & has to be fixsed again when it gets back here.

I makes you wonder why aussies should support them when they dont support us. Why dont we just use a cheaper asian airline.

Qantas had a reputaion built on being safe & Australian. People were willing to pay a little more because of that. Now there shifting all the jobs overseas & the safety is becomming questionable. Will people still pay a little more to fly with them?

I feel sorry for people like my old neighbour that did his apprenteship with Qantas in heavy maintenance, now all the jobs are going overseas, he will have to either go overseas to get a job or get a new career.
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 01:58 AM   #42
vhcbm
having Fiesta withdrawals

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Ford couldn't fix my BlueTooth issue. This member posted a download link, with instruction, on how to do it myself. One week on, the unit hasn't played up once. Three different dealers told me to virtually 'Live with it. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neale

I feel sorry for people like my old neighbour that did his apprenteship with Qantas in heavy maintenance, now all the jobs are going overseas, he will have to either go overseas to get a job or get a new career.
Unfortunately for aviation in Australia there isn't much choice for jobs as we don't really have that many airlines, 2 of which are Qantas anyway (Jetstar and Qantas airways).

Virgin is coming up the ranks and expanding quickly which means more jobs. But at the end of the day it's British so the money you pay for a ticket with them is probably partly going overseas.

Tiger...well.

Past: 2009 Ford Fiesta LX in Vision Blue - Sold
vhcbm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 02:22 AM   #43
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaniSS
They keep outsourcing to Asia it's only a matter of time before a plane goes down.
before a prane go down?
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 08:45 AM   #44
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think the number of defects in relation to the number of flights has increased but we now have a media that just loves knocking anyone they can just for a story. mechanical faults are a fact of life be it aircraft trains trucks or any form of transport, the important thing is not the defects it is how the are handled. qantas still has the best record in the world ( no passenger fatalities from crash or mechanical defect) a record imposible to better.
Being late is better than not getting there at all and as I see it qantas have done things that may cause inconvenience but have done so in the interest of public safety. maybe it's time to get behind our national airline instead of constantly knocking it

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 08:55 AM   #45
FPVGT500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1000 jobs lost but also the Qantas CEO yearly salary trippled as i was told by a engineer, if flying internationaly go Emirates
FPVGT500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 09:58 AM   #46
69XWGT

While they're out sourcing their maintenance it's going to keep happening.

They pay for a service and thats what they get , exactly whats on the service schedule.

Where as the QANTAS guys working for the company will be checking a lot more than what is required.
69XWGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 10:21 AM   #47
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neale
Its false ecconomy sending maintenance overseas to another company. For example when heavy maintenance was in Sydney. If an aircraft had a problem, there was a ready supply of parts. Now they have to be hired from other companies to get them through. because they cant grab an engine or other parts of an another aircraft that wont be flying for a while while its being re furbished.

Also theres a case where they get delays in asia when a Qanats plane gets put on the waiting list because another companies aircraft jumps the que because they pay more. Hence lost profits because the aircraft is out of action for longer than necessary. Then when it gets back the job sometimes isnt doen properly & has to be fixsed again when it gets back here.

I makes you wonder why aussies should support them when they dont support us. Why dont we just use a cheaper asian airline.

Qantas had a reputaion built on being safe & Australian. People were willing to pay a little more because of that. Now there shifting all the jobs overseas & the safety is becomming questionable. Will people still pay a little more to fly with them?

Heavy maintenance has gone to Avalon, not overseas.
VH-OEH a 438 is down there right now.

Quote: