Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-02-2024, 09:42 AM   #121
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Re: Australian fuel efficiency standards aimed at cutting petrol bills, 'catching up' with US

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatgas View Post
I can add fuel to this fire, anecdotal though it is.

I have a handful of independent panel shops as clients and they all either handball the EV's when they come through the system or write them off. They don't want the liability of a possible smoke show after repair and the margins are even thinner when the repair doesn't involve the zappy zappy stuff (as others mentioned due to the significant use of aluminium, welded or bonded).
But most EVs don't use much aluminium. Model S and X did but Model 3/Y are all steel. As are most of the other products on the market.

The certified repairer where I've taken my cars to have plenty of EVs coming through for repair and they just repair them without fuss. They also are the certified repairers for Lamborghini and Porsche. Great workmanship and their rates are very reasonable when asking them to do a cashie for minor repairs outside of insurance.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2024, 09:46 AM   #122
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Re: Australian fuel efficiency standards aimed at cutting petrol bills, 'catching up' with US

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot View Post
Lots of media reporting this morning that Apple is to shut down its division that is working on its electric vehicle. Apparently moving some of the team over to working on AI. And this is after it gave up on its full self driving project a few years back.

While sinking a few billion into a black hole EV project and then walking away with nothing might seem wasteful, but this is the way capitalism works. The successful survive and the weak perish.

It also says a lot about managerial confidence in being able to make a buck out of EV. Ditto, investor's confidence in EV when Apple's stock rose 0.7% immediately after the announcement.
Also shows how much of a Headstart Tesla has and how far ahead they continue to be. They build EVs with bigger margins than ICE manufacturers. They are priced very competitively against the rest of the market as well.

I always laughed when people rubbished them (on this forum) saying, "just wait till the other more established brands turn up and Tesla will be cactus". Yeah, it's not as easy as many thought to build an EV profitably.
This user likes this post:
Old 28-02-2024, 09:51 AM   #123
fatgas
Purveyor of fine filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
But most EVs don't use much aluminium. Model S and X did but Model 3/Y are all steel. As are most of the other products on the market.

The certified repairer where I've taken my cars to have plenty of EVs coming through for repair and they just repair them without fuss. They also are the certified repairers for Lamborghini and Porsche. Great workmanship and their rates are very reasonable when asking them to do a cashie for minor repairs outside of insurance.

That's another part of the problem, the smaller operators are being quoted insane amounts to become certified repairers for Tesla and the other EV's.
fatgas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2024, 09:53 AM   #124
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatgas View Post
That's another part of the problem, the smaller operators are being quoted insane amounts to become certified repairers for Tesla and the other EV's.
Yes, very true that could be happening.
Old 28-02-2024, 10:15 AM   #125
CitroŽnbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Given Australiaís love affair with statutory write-offs due to such calamities as a bent A-pillar, itís surprising people are worrying much about repairability.
CitroŽnbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2024, 10:29 AM   #126
fatgas
Purveyor of fine filth

No word of a lie, there was a Kia of some variety in one of the shops and the car was declared stat write off because there was a deep scratch on the drivers A-pillar.

Yep, a scratch. The insurance assessor couldn't even determine if it was caused by the accident or was pre-existing.
Old 28-02-2024, 10:31 AM   #127
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:

Can't edit it: should read that model 3/Y are almost all steel. Still a little aluminium used which I learnt today!

Thanks @ljf12 !
Old 28-02-2024, 11:22 AM   #128
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Also shows how much of a head start Tesla has and how far ahead they continue to be.
Yup, I agree. Tesla went through a world of hurt to get their EV process working at its present efficiency. Others thought it would be relatively easy to copy (aka the second mover's advantage). Not so.

Getting back to the ALP's changes to Australian fuel efficiency standards ... I think that there is a fine line between gently nudging the market / supply chain in certain directions and exceeding the capability of either to absorb the change. A bit like driving on snow and ice, gentle little nudges can achieve far more progress than excessive inputs. To me, this change reeks of an unnecessary regulation, too much too soon.

Sure, it is a political exercise and since the ALP - with support of the Greens - have the numbers in parliament, they can make whatever changes they like. That is the way it works in our democracy. But the ALP shouldn't complain or whinge if the electorate turns and bites back, hard.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2024, 11:26 AM   #129
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot View Post

Sure, it is a political exercise and since the ALP - with support of the Greens - have the numbers in parliament, they can make whatever changes they like. That is the way it works in our democracy. But the ALP shouldn't complain or whinge if the electorate turns and bites back, hard.
I hope parties do the right thing without worrying about the next election only. These standards are long overdue and whatever date that was set was going to be a shock to the system for those not wanting to change.
Old 28-02-2024, 03:45 PM   #130
fatgas
Purveyor of fine filth

Quote:
I hope parties do the right thing without worrying about the next election only. These standards are long overdue and whatever date that was set was going to be a shock to the system for those not wanting to change.

Shirley Ewe Geste?