Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 24-08-2010, 04:18 PM   #1
vunny
Starter Motor

Default Ford Power Button - Switch off Engine but not Electrics

Can anyone tell me how to switch off my MB Mondeo XR5's engine without switching off the electrics.

Sometimes I want to turn the engine off but leave the radio/HVAC still on.

Currently when I press the Ford Power button it turns off engine + electrics. I have to press the power button again (without clutch) to activate the electrics again.

Anyone got a better suggestion?

vunny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2010, 04:24 PM   #2
warren77

The way you have described it is how I do it.
The Sony 6 Stack will also play for an hour if you press on the headunit On/Off button.

Personally I don't run the HVAC without the engine running.
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2010, 06:20 PM   #3
marcusturbo

I'm not sure that you can configure the Power button to do anything else when you stop the engine. It is a bit of a pain in the *** when you stop and have to switch the Radio/iPod back on but it's on one little push away.

As with Warren77, not sure that I'd run the anything with the engine off. You could only get the fan/blower to work as to power the AC compressor you need to engine to be running, I think??? . If it's that hot keep the engine running and if not then just open all the windows and sunroof.
Old 24-08-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

So how is the button different to any other car you have ever owned? With a key you still have to turn the engine off with the key than turn the key to acc or back to ign to get the electrics back up. The button is no different; in fact it’s possibly easier as you don't have to fumble for the keys in the ignition.
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2010, 08:19 AM   #5
entheos

push button to power down then push the on/off button on the radio.....only takes half a second to come back on....
entheos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2010, 11:28 AM   #6
vunny
Starter Motor

Thanks everyone for the advice.

These are just minor niggles as no car is perfect. But overall the XR5 is a real gem. Don't need hyper straight line speed but powers on when you need it.

Smooth ride especially for sports tune suspension and plenty of grip even if the road is a little greasy. Solid build, huge space, classy interior and the red stitched leather seats are the bomb! The bodykit really turns the visuals up a notch.. really classy and not an after thought like some of its rivals.

I'm also kind of glad the model is not too popular cos it always turning heads (what hot *** car is that look??)!

Sorry to rave on... just one very happpppppy customer!
vunny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2010, 10:34 PM   #7
Zippy7

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie0735
So how is the button different to any other car you have ever owned? With a key you still have to turn the engine off with the key than turn the key to acc or back to ign to get the electrics back up. The button is no different; in fact it’s possibly easier as you don't have to fumble for the keys in the ignition.
Actually, in a normal car, you'd switch the key back to ACC position. That would switch the engine OFF, but keep the radio and accessories ON. With the Mondy, we switch the engine AND accessories OFF, then have to switch accessories back on separately.

Only 1 extra action... (won't say 'step', because if I did, I might start the car!)

I wondered about this the other day when I pulled over to park, but wanted to wait in the car and keep the radio on... 2 actions, not one.
Old 27-08-2010, 10:30 AM   #8
Dusty1
Giddy up!

It could be argued that having the power button saves actions as well. Instead of inserting key, and having to turn it to turn the engine on, the action is to push the button.

My partner is paranoid about the car getting car jacked, so if I go and check the PO Box, I take the key (and lock the car) and she turns the radio on using the on/off switch.

I do think the amount of time after the keys are taken out to when you can't lower the windows anymore is a bit quick.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2010, 11:37 AM   #9
entheos

you lock your partner in the car??? :P do you get him/her to disable the interior scan when you lock the car??? cause otherwise the alarm would go off wouldn't it?
entheos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2010, 03:19 PM   #10
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by entheos
you lock your partner in the car??? :P do you get him/her to disable the interior scan when you lock the car??? cause otherwise the alarm would go off wouldn't it?
Not quite, so far as our car is concerned. A single remote click secures the car from outside - a second remote click fully secures the car from both outside and inside and then the interior scan commences, at least that is what the manual says, I can't confirm this because I have not tried it out - why tempt fate

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2010, 04:16 PM   #11
hotdiesel
Starter Motor

By the way with my MB Titanium, the Radio/CD etc. will remain on after the Power Button cancels the Engine, if the Auto Gearbox Shifter is in any gear other than Park. Screen message appears to suggest moving the the Shifter to Park.
Once moved to Park, the Radio/CD etc. is cancelled.
hotdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2010, 07:59 PM   #12
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by entheos
Alarm? Do they have one?
I thought it was just a passive disable type security system.
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2010, 11:37 AM   #13
Dusty1
Giddy up!

I have no idea why she likes to be locked in the car. But I guess it's to get some peace and quiet.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post