Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-07-2019, 05:33 PM   #3391
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Default Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Looks like cycling has sucked you in aswell mate.
Enjoy.

Looks like it. I'm doing it more for my mental health.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2019, 06:33 PM   #3392
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Looks like it. I'm doing it more for my mental health.
Solo riding is extremely therapeutic.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:40 PM   #3393
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I have been researching some dual suspension mountain bikes and so far I like the Giant bikes,

I didn't realise that they were so expensive though, and the range to choose from is like buying something from the supermarket or Bunnings, too much to get your head around.

What are people's thought's on the Giant Trance and Giant Anthems, I have seen some 2nd hand Giant Anthems advanced 0, which retail for 9k, but obviously selling 2nd hand for around 2-3 k, they are 2015 models, carbon frame etc,...

What knowledge do people have or is there anything I should be considering when forking out such monies ?.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-07-2019, 08:01 PM   #3394
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post
I have been researching some dual suspension mountain bikes and so far I like the Giant bikes,

I didn't realise that they were so expensive though, and the range to choose from is like buying something from the supermarket or Bunnings, too much to get your head around.

What are people's thought's on the Giant Trance and Giant Anthems, I have seen some 2nd hand Giant Anthems advanced 0, which retail for 9k, but obviously selling 2nd hand for around 2-3 k, they are 2015 models, carbon frame etc,...

What knowledge do people have or is there anything I should be considering when forking out such monies ?.
Just be really careful. Unless you know what you are looking at , the service on front and rear shocks , drive train , wheelset , front and rear shifters and disk brakes, etc you could very easily add $500 - $1000 to your purchase price and we havent yet looked at the integrity of the frame. If your purchase bike is mint and there isn't nothing to spend , then you're comparing it against brand new bike with a lower level of componentry. However , it possible if you shop around you can get a brand new model for little more than what you would pay for someone's well used bike. The $2,500 - $3,500 market is very competitive, and it shouldn't be to difficult to find a new bike

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Batmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2019, 10:08 PM   #3395
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmobile View Post
Just be really careful. Unless you know what you are looking at , the service on front and rear shocks , drive train , wheelset , front and rear shifters and disk brakes, etc you could very easily add $500 - $1000 to your purchase price and we havent yet looked at the integrity of the frame. If your purchase bike is mint and there isn't nothing to spend , then you're comparing it against brand new bike with a lower level of componentry. However , it possible if you shop around you can get a brand new model for little more than what you would pay for someone's well used bike. The $2,500 - $3,500 market is very competitive, and it shouldn't be to difficult to find a new bike

Thank's mate, I have just changed direction and bought a brand new , (one of the last ones left in large size)2019 Giant Trance Advanced 29 er.
I can't wait to get it.

Last edited by galaxy xr8; 23-07-2019 at 10:38 PM.
Old 24-07-2019, 07:43 AM   #3396
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thank's mate, I have just changed direction and bought a brand new , (one of the last ones left in large size)2019 Giant Trance Advanced 29 er.

I can't wait to get it.
Well done. You will love the 29er. It's makes us weekend hacks ride like a pro.

Old 24-07-2019, 08:06 AM   #3397
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Well done. You will love the 29er. It's makes us weekend hacks ride like a pro.

I had a demo one for the week and loved it, the 29" wheels were fantastic and really do improve the bike from the 27.5", the suspension although not as much travel as some others, still is quite enough for me and feel's a lot more then it actually is, I'm sure I'll never bottom it out at my age.

The only downside I could say was the seat was a little hard for my liking but easily swapped out for something better, and also the brakes..... I am used to the bite of the Shamano, and the brakes on this bike are the sram guide T which are the bottom of the range for sram, which once again are easily swapped out for anyway if I feel the need I have too, but for the time being it may just be a case of getting used to them, time will tell on that front.

But I'm in love with the fluro Green and how the bike rode with ease up some very step and adventurous climb's that my old bike never could.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2019, 12:56 PM   #3398
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I had a demo one for the week and loved it, the 29" wheels were fantastic and really do improve the bike from the 27.5", the suspension although not as much travel as some others, still is quite enough for me and feel's a lot more then it actually is, I'm sure I'll never bottom it out at my age.

The only downside I could say was the seat was a little hard for my liking but easily swapped out for something better, and also the brakes..... I am used to the bite of the Shamano, and the brakes on this bike are the sram guide T which are the bottom of the range for sram, which once again are easily swapped out for anyway if I feel the need I have too, but for the time being it may just be a case of getting used to them, time will tell on that front.

But I'm in love with the fluro Green and how the bike rode with ease up some very step and adventurous climb's that my old bike never could.
Agree. Some years ago I was fortunate to do a back to back demo from a hardtail, 27.5 and through to the 29er. Years ago you would have never considered a dually to race XC . My friend owns a bike store and said I would be blown away by the stability of the 29er over steep and narlee descents. I wasn't sold as I was concerned about the added weight.
The demo day , I rode the hardtail , and it felt fast. Rode the 27.5 and loved the stability especially over rough grounds and small steps up and down. Rode the 29er , and couldn't stop smiling for the moment I clicked in . The 29er doesn't care way line you take , you don't need to be precise with your lines , it just absorbs anything you throw at it and best of all after a circuit you come away still in great nic. You have lost any speed tip toeing as you need to do with the hardtail. I have no idea how we ever rode the 26' hardtail.

Old 31-07-2019, 08:48 PM   #3399
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Well I just had my first big stack on the new bicycle. Left shoulder so sore can barely move my arm. Will go to see doctor tomorrow if still the same.

Question to all you riders who do thousands and thousands of kilometers, are crashes something we need to put up with as they come with the terrain? I see professionals on TV crash so it is not just us novices.

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
Old 31-07-2019, 09:09 PM   #3400
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Well I just had my first big stack on the new bicycle. Left shoulder so sore can barely move my arm. Will go to see doctor tomorrow if still the same.

Question to all you riders who do thousands and thousands of kilometers, are crashes something we need to put up with as they come with the terrain? I see professionals on TV crash so it is not just us novices.
I don't ride that much anymore due to family commitments and work, but I've done over 30000km in the last 6-7 years, and I've crashed twice. Hit a car once when it turned in front with no warning. Garmin said I was doing about 45kmh. All happened so fast I don't remember much but I was commuting home from work and I reckon my backpack saved me. Second time a cat ran out in front of me and I swerved... again doing about 45. This time I was lucky it was cold. I had about 4 layers on. Landed on my shoulder. Ruined my gilet, wore a hole through two tops and stretched my base layer. Arm warmers now have treat holes in them. VERY lucky I had gloves on (always wear gloves) as otherwise my hands would have been shredded. I landed on my bike and had very sore ribs for a while.

So to answer your question, I don't think it needs to be par for the course. I don't do mtb riding though so maybe it's more common in those circles. Most of the guys I rode with have been riding much longer than me and only a handful of incidents between them all over the years.

I'm nowhere near as fearless since crashing though. I used to really go for it on downhills but much more cautious now. Just more mindful of what 'could' happen.
Old 31-07-2019, 09:13 PM   #3401
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

Riding on the road, it sorta comes with the territory, but having said that the only crash (I've ridden all over Oz in the last 35 years) I have ever had on the road was not my fault when a Sydney taxi drove me into the gutter to pick up a passenger... WTF.
Partner when over her handlebars at slow speed off road a couple of weeks ago, stick in the front wheel.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 31-07-2019, 09:20 PM   #3402
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:

I had a crash a few years back, landing on my left hip and shoulder. I hit the bitumen on a greasy bit of road when it started to rain, and the tyres lost interest in grip for some reason.

After getting xrayed, I had an impingement on the bursor in my shoulder. I booked into a Physio and started working with them on getting repaired, and it's all good now.

About the same time a mate of mine came off his mountain bike and did a similar injury to his shoulder. He went to the local hospital, and that was about it, and it took him years to recover from the fall.

Just a thought, Syndrome, for getting treatment for your shoulder.

Like Prydey, I've developed an allergy to falling. If I fall, I find it hurts.

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them

@GasoLane;
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 31-07-2019, 09:57 PM   #3403
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Like Prydey , I have my share of accidents commuting to and from work. All the various scenarios. Most that commute on the road will have a story. Unless you are lucky to commute at low speeds or on bike trails (don't get me started about walkers, dogs and other riders on bike trails , as they can be as dangerous as cars and pedestrians on the road) then you're going to come off. I recommend if you're commuting on bike trails , ride as though everyone is wearing a blind fold and can't see you as it's better to be a few minutes long during the commute than sitting in the back of an ambulance. Bunch riding , limit your time riding with inexperienced riders or riders who are unable to sit in or hold a wheel . On the mountain bike , know where you're riding , ride within your ability either on your own (especially on your own) or within a group.
There are many more lessons , but as a start , following those and you should stay upright for a little longer

Old 01-08-2019, 05:24 PM   #3404
351LTD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looking at replacing my Scott CR1 Pro and looking for advice on going to electronic gear changing (Ultera Level or above)
351LTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2019, 06:51 PM   #3405
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351LTD View Post
Looking at replacing my Scott CR1 Pro and looking for advice on going to electronic gear changing (Ultera Level or above)
I have demo both SRAM and Shimano - both brilliant. As much as it hurts to say , I would at this stage stay away from Campagnolo regardless of price - there is a inherited fault with the front chain ring derailler.
It's important to understand moving away from your Scott CR1 Pro - you will want to move forward , so moving to electronic you will need to look at frame/drive train/wheelset and cock pit , etc at the upper end to get either close or below(preferably below) to your CR1 weight and ride.
I like the Scott Addict RC under 7kg with Dura Ace DI 2 and Carbon Disk wheelset.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:40 PM   #3406
351LTD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was thinking Scott addict (non RC) SE. Which is the same as the addict 10 but with DI2 ,the addict RC is the racing version and the addict is endurance version as is the CR1,which I am more than happy with but the 10 x 2 running gear is getting hard to get the parts for.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:50 PM   #3407
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Was thinking Scott addict (non RC) SE. Which is the same as the addict 10 but with DI2 ,the addict RC is the racing version and the addict is endurance version as is the CR1,which I am more than happy with but the 10 x 2 running gear is getting hard to get the parts for.
If you weren't so keen on DI 2 , the Avanti Super Stores are selling a Avanti/Mech Dura Ace , etc for under $3,000. Worth a look

Old 02-08-2019, 09:54 AM   #3408
351LTD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sold on DI 2 but if it is reliable over time (do 300 Plus Kms a week even in winter)may be the way to go or is good old cables still a lot more reliable! Had a good run out of the Scott so keen to stick to the brand as well.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:32 AM   #3409
prydey
Rob

Di2 is pretty solid these days. About the only issue is getting a flat battery while out riding. Then you lose the ability to change gears. Not sure if they have a battery life indicator on them.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:31 PM   #3410
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not sold on DI 2 but if it is reliable over time (do 300 Plus Kms a week even in winter)may be the way to go or is good old cables still a lot more reliable! Had a good run out of the Scott so keen to stick to the brand as well.
Reliability isn't a issue. I have friends that do monster k's (500ks + on the road) and (200ks on dirt) without any problems. It's basically no different than charging your Garmin or Lights. Charge and off you go. Even in CX racing , I haven't heard of any reliability issues with either brand. If you can afford it and you're stepping up with your new purchase from where you stand now , then it's something you should do. However, as earlier stated don't go DI on a lesser frame and lesser built kit. Don't spend the money on new to go back wards. If your current bike is functional and it isn't in need of a complete re- build. Then stay with it until you can afford to step forward and up. Trust me new and shiny and easily forgotten when the ride is lesser than you have had

Old 02-08-2019, 06:20 PM   #3411
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Just a quick question on covering a new bike with a clear protective film... I have seen some pre-cut ones that are made for the specific bike, i.e, like Giant Trance etc, but they are quite expensive.

So I am looking to just buy some film and do it myself, has anybody covered their bike before and if so what did you use, I have seen some 3M product's that seem to be the go, like a roll of 70mm or more in x metre lengths.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:29 PM   #3412
351LTD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My current CR1 is Ultegra everything ,the Addict SE has Ultegra DI2 but unsure whether they are going to be imported into Australia and as per car yards the young guys behind the counter in cycle shops lack product knowledge so we will see.Not into hard core racing but more doing miles and the odd long distance event so comfort going into my 60s is where it's at for me but still want good gear !!
Old 02-08-2019, 08:23 PM   #3413
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Just a quick question on covering a new bike with a clear protective film... I have seen some pre-cut ones that are made for the specific bike, i.e, like Giant Trance etc, but they are quite expensive.

So I am looking to just buy some film and do it myself, has anybody covered their bike before and if so what did you use, I have seen some 3M product's that seem to be the go, like a roll of 70mm or more in x metre lengths.
I have used 3M on my MTB. I covered the chain stay from chain slap and the bottom of the down tube where it meets the bottom bracket.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:27 PM   #3414
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
I have used 3M on my MTB. I covered the chain stay from chain slap and the bottom of the down tube where it meets the bottom bracket.

Yeah that is the main area of concern for me, but also some underneath the carbon frame and where leg's might rub and where the internal cable comes out at the top tube.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:38 PM   #3415
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah that is the main area of concern for me, but also some underneath the carbon frame and where leg's might rub and where the internal cable comes out at the top tube.
Always underneath the spots where the cables meet the frame - especially the head tube

Old 04-11-2019, 11:12 PM   #3416
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Always underneath the spots where the cables meet the frame - especially the head tube
I didn't do this when I built my bike and now 7 years later its a major regret. Probably should do something about it given this frame will need to last many more years.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:24 PM   #3417
prydey
Rob

for the road guys on here...

my rims are in need of replacing due to the brake track getting worn. I currently have campagnolo zonda (2013 version) and the brake track has about a 1mm concave if you hold a straight edge across it, on both rims. There is no rim wear indicator on these rims. Bike shop recommended I start thinking about replacing them. Done about 30000km and been absolutely bullet proof.

My dilemma is, just buy another set of Zonda's, knowing the product is very good or try something else. Hard to beat the Zonda's for value. I do like the style. Next step up in the campy range is Shamal but these are double the price and not sure I could justify that price difference for minimal returns, if any.

Mavic Ksyrium elite's get a pretty good rap.

Any suggestions for a good quality wheelset around the $500-$800 mark? Campy are all handbuilt and the hubs are very good.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:11 PM   #3418
prydey
Rob

So rather than buy new rims I decided to upgrade the bike.

Picked this up on Sunday

share image online free

For those playing at home it's a 2015 cannondale super six evo hi mod dura ace 2.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:27 PM   #3419
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

I'm missing my bicycle. Damn shoulder.

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
Old 12-11-2019, 06:27 PM   #3420
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Nice upgrade Rob!

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon