Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 24-06-2009, 07:00 PM   #1
tezd1
Starter Motor

Default mondeo auto transmission

I have an LX Mondeo with about 8000 klm on the clock. When I travel on highways at 100 Klm per hour the trans is still in 5th gear , it is only when I get up to about 106 Klm per hour that it drops into 6th gear OK on a freeway but not on country roads in Vic. Is this normal or does anyone know if I have a problem? Ihave been to a dealer but without them having the car for testing they could not be specific.

tezd1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2009, 12:48 AM   #2
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezd1
I have an LX Mondeo with about 8000 klm on the clock. When I travel on highways at 100 Klm per hour the trans is still in 5th gear , it is only when I get up to about 106 Klm per hour that it drops into 6th gear OK on a freeway but not on country roads in Vic. Is this normal or does anyone know if I have a problem? Ihave been to a dealer but without them having the car for testing they could not be specific.
Sixth gear comes in at above 60kmh below that it will not engage not even in Sport mode so how do you know it's not in 6th gear? should be below 2000rpm

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2009, 02:05 AM   #3
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine will not change up to 6th until just over 100 km/h. Once in 6th, it then changes down at about 80 km/h on a light throttle.

But you can always use the manual mode to change up to 6th below 100, then either continue to select gears manually or move the selector back to auto.
Old 25-06-2009, 03:58 PM   #4
tezd1
Starter Motor

I noticed the revs were high at 100 so I put it into manual mode and changed it into 6th the revs lowered down and the display on the dash indicated that it was now in 6th --- It stays in that gear until; I start climbing up hills or slow down to around 80 or 85 -- I am concerned as to whether this is a fault --- It just seems high in speed to me before it actually changes itself
Old 26-06-2009, 03:38 AM   #5
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's exactly what mine does. I don't think it's a fault as 6th is obviously an overdrive for motorway cruising - it's only doing about 2,200 rpm at 100 km/h. Usually, I'm up to 100+ quickly on a motorway or the open road so it's not an issue. But it is a little annoying that it won't use 6th at say 90 km/h, although I can always select it manually if I need to.
Old 27-06-2009, 10:20 AM   #6
Rapscallion
Seduce G6ET

This was discussed in a different thread some months ago. I can't be bothered trying to find it but the upshot was that sixth gear arrives at just over 100kph. Mine does it. It is not a problem with the 'box. Just select it manually if you want it earlier.
Rapscallion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2009, 01:10 PM   #7
tezd1
Starter Motor

thank you thats the reply I was hoping top see
Old 30-06-2009, 03:44 PM   #8
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh well that makes me very happy,my Mondeo must be the only one that selects 6th above 60kph in auto because the RPM reads the same as when in S mode with 6th gear selected

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2009, 12:55 PM   #9
Francis

Do you guy's like the Mondeo? I'm looking at buying an 2007 one but also looking at a Mazda 6 that is cheaper and seems to have more power.
Francis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2009, 01:53 PM   #10
wusyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis
Do you guy's like the Mondeo? I'm looking at buying an 2007 one but also looking at a Mazda 6 that is cheaper and seems to have more power.
There is a good chance that you will get a biased opinion on this forum.

I loved my dad's HA Mondeo back many years. It was sad to see Ford pulled out for a number of years.

I love my current Mondeo. Generally, I like the way how European cars drive than Japanese cars but that's a personal preference.

I am sure that both the Mazda6 and Mondeo are good cars. I suggest that you try out both cars before making a decision.