Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-03-2023, 04:56 PM   #241
hayseed

Default Re: Chinese cars make record sales in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
And that makes it acceptable in 2023?
Not at All..!
But, To My Mind. The Chinese Car industry Today is in a similar position to what he Aussie one was in back Then...
Give them a few years & they'll have their act together Big Time I think..!
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2023, 06:30 PM   #242
Warrenk

Quote:
This was rusted right through the bottoms of the doors and was completely visible on the outside. Not just rust appearing in seams.
So you are saying that the issue with the Everest is acceptable because it was only in the seams(this was a recall issue for Ford, so there were more than one vehicle). Maybe the rust in the Chinese vehicle was an environmental issue and not a production issue.
Old 22-03-2023, 08:09 PM   #243
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lightbulb Re: Chinese cars make record sales in Australia

Sales on Chinese Made Vehicles are misleading.
Some figures quote cars made by Chinese Manufacturers and others include cars made by Overseas manufacturers in China such as Tesla, etc

Last edited by EBSXR6; 22-03-2023 at 08:37 PM.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2023, 09:47 PM   #244
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
That's an interesting point, and probably the subject of a different thread altogether, but are car manufacturers (and other goods as well) making their product with a shorter lifespan because of cost cutting or because of the turnover rate of their consumers? Conversely, have consumers changed their expectations of product life because of the manufacturing process or do they just prefer to turn things over more frequently. Which is the actual driver (no pun intended)?
I feel a lot of the cost cutting is to mitigate the amount of money they are spending on battery-electric R&D.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-03-2023, 10:45 AM   #245
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I feel a lot of the cost cutting is to mitigate the amount of money they are spending on battery-electric R&D.
I would love to know just how much R&D is required in comparison. I would assume developing a new ICE engine and calibrating it's tune, calibrating it's powertrain/transmission to match etc would take far longer than an electric motor and it's drivetrain. Building a new platform is expensive but just like ICE vehicles you share and mod it for various variants so I'd expect a similar cost if not cheaper for an EV. Electric motors surely cost less to build than an ICE engine. Is building a battery factory more expensive than a new engine casting and production plant?

So.....show me the money....I'm thinking it's more likely...."we can charge more because demand is high and we don't build enough and it's also early days for early adopters"....yes I'm cynical....then if they used Aussie engineers, they would save more again...
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-03-2023, 11:56 AM   #246
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

I'm with you Dr.......
Though regards to the mention re "cost cutting" and Fox mentioned is going the less quality/shorter lifespan route, occured long before EV investment came into the equation.
Sure the OE's had been starting the cost reports/studies etcetc and then Tesla hit the OE's jumped farfar quicker re EV's but the product/car quality as we knew it changed long before.
OE's building plants in new lower labour cost countries - components from new sources reducing their cost etcetcetc
Even as late as our local Falcon for eg, the AU interior was of higher quality than what was delivered for BSeries from 02.
The euros was far above them all in quality look where that went, long before EV/Tesla launched in 08.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2023, 12:46 PM   #247
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
I'm with you Dr.......
Though regards to the mention re "cost cutting" and Fox mentioned is going the less quality/shorter lifespan route, occured long before EV investment came into the equation.
Sure the OE's had been starting the cost reports/studies etcetc and then Tesla hit the OE's jumped farfar quicker re EV's but the product/car quality as we knew it changed long before.
OE's building plants in new lower labour cost countries - components from new sources reducing their cost etcetcetc
Even as late as our local Falcon for eg, the AU interior was of higher quality than what was delivered for BSeries from 02.
The euros was far above them all in quality look where that went, long before EV/Tesla launched in 08.
Even the stereo with the premium package in the AU Fairmont/Fairlane Ghia was miles better than that BA-FG versions when it came to sound quality.

I'm with FTE and Dr on this one, early adopter tax on EVs they're way simpler cars than traditional ICE, they would cost less to build.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2023, 02:58 PM   #248
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217
AH Bingo, a similar question or more so me not appecting the reported QC issues of the modern day Mustang.

Agreed Boss, its 2023, ok maybe the product doesn't last as it once did back in the day BUT at least bring it out to market spot on to spec, no mis alignments etcetc yet one bloke quoted thats the Norm of a Pony forever and a day, correcting error.
I answer if I'm paying sub $100k my pride and joy should be damn spot on ?! if the cheap cars under $50k can why can't my $90K for eg Mustang.

The Mustang build quality just isn't good enough. But strangely enough, i've never heard americans complain about it. Which is probably why they consider it acceptable. I wonder if the feedback they would have got due to the amount of re-works required in australia to get panel alignment right ever flowed back to them, and if they ever acted on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenk
So you are saying that the issue with the Everest is acceptable because it was only in the seams(this was a recall issue for Ford, so there were more than one vehicle). Maybe the rust in the Chinese vehicle was an environmental issue and not a production issue.
Not at all. Just one case significantly worse than the other. And one was recalled as you say, the other was ignored. Rust seems to be a significant issue with these chinese vehicles if owner feedback is to be believed. Especially in the utes.

It's not a common issue with Everest and Ranger. Not to say there hasn't been cases of it, as the recalled ones attest to.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2023, 03:01 PM   #249
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Even the stereo with the premium package in the AU Fairmont/Fairlane Ghia was miles better than that BA-FG versions when it came to sound quality.

I'm with FTE and Dr on this one, early adopter tax on EVs they're way simpler cars than traditional ICE, they would cost less to build.
It's more a case of having to design most of the car from scratch that adds up to them being significantly more expensive to develop. ICE cars can borrow parts, engines, drivelines etc from other models, and are commonly built on platforms from previous models.

With new EV's, pretty much everything bar interior bits and pieces has to be designed from scratch. I've had a Mach E up on the hoist, and underneath nothing looks like anything you would see in an ICE vehicle bar the suspension components.
Old 23-03-2023, 06:17 PM   #250
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Boss
The yanks are used to sub standard product period for decades.
What do you expect for the prices they pay compared to the rest of world.
If they whinged pricing would go up obviously then they’d whinge again lol…..
You really agree a mustang is worth near triple figures - not me I tell you for the dough.
They are like a Falcon there yet we pay euro price for them + Oz tax and obviously with hardly any competition under 100k it’s easy sell and profit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23-03-2023, 07:38 PM   #251
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
The Mustang build quality just isn't good enough. But strangely enough, i've never heard americans complain about it. Which is probably why they consider it acceptable. I wonder if the feedback they would have got due to the amount of re-works required in australia to get panel alignment right ever flowed back to them, and if they ever acted on it.
Talking to someone I know with FNA, a fair bot of stamping work is now outsourced, when the parts come to them the alignment/match up is really bad…

Quote:
Not at all. Just one case significantly worse than the other. And one was recalled as you say, the other was ignored. Rust seems to be a significant issue with these chinese vehicles if owner feedback is to be believed. Especially in the utes.

It's not a common issue with Everest and Ranger. Not to say there hasn't been cases of it, as the recalled ones attest to.
This.
Chinese companies haven’t done the hard years of experience with corrosion
that the Americans, European, Japanese and Koreans have and solved years ago….
Amazing how many buyers think the shiny new penny will just stay that way…
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2023, 09:10 PM   #252
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
I would love to know just how much R&D is required in comparison. I would assume developing a new ICE engine and calibrating it's tune, calibrating it's powertrain/transmission to match etc would take far longer than an electric motor and it's drivetrain. Building a new platform is expensive but just like ICE vehicles you share and mod it for various variants so I'd expect a similar cost if not cheaper for an EV. Electric motors surely cost less to build than an ICE engine. Is building a battery factory more expensive than a new engine casting and production plant?

So.....show me the money....I'm thinking it's more likely...."we can charge more because demand is high and we don't build enough and it's also early days for early adopters"....yes I'm cynical....then if they used Aussie engineers, they would save more again...
Quote:
It's more a case of having to design most of the car from scratch that adds up to them being significantly more expensive to develop. ICE cars can borrow parts, engines, drivelines etc from other models, and are commonly built on platforms from previous models.

With new EV's, pretty much everything bar interior bits and pieces has to be designed from scratch. I've had a Mach E up on the hoist, and underneath nothing looks like anything you would see in an ICE vehicle bar the suspension components.
As alluded to, it more of a situation of needing to tool-up for a whole different way of building cars and their powertrains. They are basically starting from scratch compared to factories fitted with everything needed to manufacture internal combustion engines and transmissions. The need to calibrate an electric powertrain would be a similar amount to an ICE powertrain, just different.
Mustang GT

Old 24-03-2023, 11:10 PM   #253
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
As alluded to, it more of a situation of needing to tool-up for a whole different way of building cars and their powertrains. They are basically starting from scratch compared to factories fitted with everything needed to manufacture internal combustion engines and transmissions. The need to calibrate an electric powertrain would be a similar amount to an ICE powertrain, just different.
This supports that notion.............

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-new...on-evs-in-2023

"The company still expects that the production costs versus revenue of its first-generation EVs will break even this year.

The loss in the EV arm will come predominantly from significant investments in Ford’s EV manufacturing capability such as its newly built production sites in Kentucky and Tennessee.

Ford’s investment in three EV and battery production plants is expected to cost the company around US$11.4 billion (A$15.7 billion) and create around 11,000 jobs.

Additionally, Ford will continue to invest in battery technology, offering EVs powered by both nickel cobalt manganese (NMC) and lithium iron phosphate (LFP) batteries.

Currently, the business from Ford’s combustion engine vehicles is funding the transition to electric vehicles."
Mustang GT

Old 25-03-2023, 12:06 PM   #254
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
This supports that notion.............

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-new...on-evs-in-2023

"The company still expects that the production costs versus revenue of its first-generation EVs will break even this year.

The loss in the EV arm will come predominantly from significant investments in Ford’s EV manufacturing capability such as its newly built production sites in Kentucky and Tennessee.

Ford’s investment in three EV and battery production plants is expected to cost the company around US$11.4 billion (A$15.7 billion) and create around 11,000 jobs.

Additionally, Ford will continue to invest in battery technology, offering EVs powered by both nickel cobalt manganese (NMC) and lithium iron phosphate (LFP) batteries.

Currently, the business from Ford’s combustion engine vehicles is funding the transition to electric vehicles."
All while ICE buyers continually get price rises to fund EV’s.

With the amount of EV’s i’ve seen pictures of on fire over the last few days i’m wondering when the alarm bells will start ringing. The video’s of Tesla’s spontaneously combusting are all over the socials atm.
2 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2024, 04:04 PM   #255
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

In 2023 sales of Chinese made cars was 57% higher than their 2022 sales

https://www.news.com.au/technology/m...d5296fa5c4b804

How soon before Chinese passes Thailand as the larger source of vehicles for the Australian market?

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2024, 08:35 PM   #256
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
In 2023 sales of Chinese made cars was 57% higher than their 2022 sales

https://www.news.com.au/technology/m...d5296fa5c4b804

How soon before Chinese passes Thailand as the larger source of vehicles for the Australian market?
Not too long due to blind sheeple looking to buy cheaper EV's......
You could say they will be the supreme Bunnings of the impending auto duracel industry.
Old 04-01-2024, 08:38 PM   #257
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Not too long due to blind sheeple looking to buy cheaper EV's......

You could say they will be the supreme Bunnings of the impending auto duracel industry.
Wouldn't the sheep be people buying ICE because that's what society has always done?!
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2024, 08:59 PM   #258
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

uh hum, ice is a known product whereas as quoted, sheeple will buy cheap EV's, price price get it ?!
Old 04-01-2024, 09:00 PM   #259
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
uh hum, ice is a known product whereas as quoted, sheeple will buy cheap EV's, price price get it ?!
I think you need to understand sheep. Sheep follow the known product that the majority buys.

EV owners, by definition, can't be sheep.
Old 04-01-2024, 10:34 PM   #260
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

you need to understand yourself, in time as cheap chinese EV's keep coming to market the flock of sheeple grows.....
Old 04-01-2024, 10:50 PM   #261
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
you need to understand yourself, in time as cheap chinese EV's keep coming to market the flock of sheeple grows.....
You're still using the term incorrectly.

iPhone users, for example, would be sheep because they're so many of them.

Hilux and Ranger buyers are because people buy them to fit in the crowd..

EV buyers now are not sheep. They make up a tiny percentage of the cars sold. Maybe oneday the sheep will join the EVs. Just not yet.

Sheep still buy ICE

Though Within EV buyers , people who are buying Model 3/Y could be considered sheep.

Last edited by kypez; 04-01-2024 at 11:02 PM.
Old 05-01-2024, 08:56 AM   #262
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Why are we so quick to throw out one liners these days.

Super simple, manufacturers read the market, sometimes roll the dice, and sometimes do really well.

Chinese are doing no different to any other country previously, pricing and flood markets to get people in and then hopefully they are good enough for a repeat buyer...then start raising the price.

The "sheep" are doing what is best for them, thats democracy at work, if people are threatened then have these discussions with potential buyers but at the end of the day the bloke down the road can buy whatever he wants; particularly now where there is very little impact to local jobs.

Im happy the Chinese are doing this, it will keep the others honest for a little while at least. Once the major guys come online then it will be another maket again but its certainly alot of talk at the moment so the next year or two should really should if EV is serious or not...we are still skirting around the edges.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2024, 09:50 AM   #263
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Tic Tok, Tic Tok. The Chinese government are just misunderstood.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: