Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-12-2023, 11:15 AM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default LHD to RHD: Euro Projector/Discharge Headlights

In relation to one of the slow moving repairs underway. Both RHD “xenon” type directional (swivelling) headlights with housings broken past practical repair. Hella manufacture. RHD units seem to be at least $100 dearer used than LHD.

What I’m wondering is, given the modular nature of these headlights’ design/assembly, is it readily possible to swap “handing” by components accessed through the standard openings?

This is something that others like PJ may have encountered; I’m hoping for informed comments. The Internet “research” I’ve done has (as usual, not surprised) turned up erroneous comments, half baked ideas and general defeatism.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2023, 11:48 AM   #2
Toiler
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Default Re: LHD to RHD: Euro Projector/Discharge Headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
In relation to one of the slow moving repairs underway. Both RHD “xenon” type directional (swivelling) headlights with housings broken past practical repair. Hella manufacture. RHD units seem to be at least $100 dearer used than LHD.

What I’m wondering is, given the modular nature of these headlights’ design/assembly, is it readily possible to swap “handing” by components accessed through the standard openings?

This is something that others like PJ may have encountered; I’m hoping for informed comments. The Internet “research” I’ve done has (as usual, not surprised) turned up erroneous comments, half baked ideas and general defeatism.
The "handing" will likely be defined by a fixed metal plate. If BiXenon this plate moves - it moves out of the light path when going to high beam. So I think it would be doable but I also think the "glass" will have to be separated from the backing section and the Hella (I assume) projector system dismounted to get the required access. I am basing this on the biXenon headlights by my toy SL - that although the rear access is reasonable as the ballast is mounted internally - I think no possible to re-engineer in place. Although if your hobby is building ships inside bottles you may be able to do it from the rear :-)

The other choice is replacing the entire Hella subsystem with a Chinesium Hyperboloid LED projector lens with a mating Hella mount.
This user likes this post:
Old 25-12-2023, 07:39 PM   #3
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

It looks provisionally feasible.

This is the left side damaged headlight, it is indeed a “Bi-Xenon” type as you identify them. Three motors control it - one flips the dipping blade down (failure mode is dipped), one with a feedback pot drives the large brass worm to swivel when turning, and not shown to the right is the up/down levelling motor controlled off the sway bars.
If I can remove two T-25 screws (one is visible to the lower right on the headlight reflector backshell flange while its mate is horizontally opposite) then the RHD backshell will likely come out the bulb access hole. Special tooling is probably limited to a fabricated cranked T-25 driver. When we get closer to a prospective headlight purchase I’ll make up a tool and see if this premise works.
Old 25-12-2023, 08:26 PM   #4
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[I][Special tooling is probably limited to a fabricated cranked T-25 driver. When we get closer to a prospective headlight purchase I’ll make up a tool and see if this/I]

std 1/4" long shaft from a socket set with a flexi/swivel head thingy?
Old 25-12-2023, 08:34 PM   #5
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I think it’s going to be a bit cramped for that. To braze a bit through a small piece of 4mm plate and cut a 1/4” square drive hole opposite (not unlike a crowsfoot bit) should work. Even potentially bodging by use of a ball tip hex key might suffice. It’s only got to come out once and go back in tight, once.
Old 25-12-2023, 08:54 PM   #6
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

The only difference from a LHD to a RHD is the lines in the lenses and adjustment of the beam, if it has a clear lens you might be able to just adjust to suit RHD.

When We drove the little RHD Getz from England to France, while we were on the train to Calais, we fitted stickers to the headlight to redirect the beam for the LHD countries we were going to drive through, if we had a headlight beam machine we could have adjusted it to suit, I don't even know if the stickers worked or if it was just a band aid .
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: