Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 18-10-2006, 08:07 PM   #1
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Shell V-Power

I know this fuel is new and came onto the market today, but has anyone filled up with it? Is it better than Optimax was? Just want to know people think about it. Currently I fill up with BP Ultimaite. I find that it is good fuel but with the amount of driving I do I would rather the 4 cents off thing even though it is a small discount. But overall its all about the quailty of the fuel going into my car.

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2006, 09:00 PM   #2
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AFAIK, Its exactly the same... They just changed the name, and confused everyone by changing the pump colours... Blue is now Red, Red is now Green... lol Although i must admit, i filled up with Shell 95 (Green pump) and for the first time in a long time, the needle didnt move for the first 100km...! Go figure.
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 12:10 AM   #3
JD2004

I used V-Power Racing in the car and if has abit more bite.. but tends to return to normal fuel fairly quickly (i.e 2 days or so) so the first 2 days its full punch then after that it looses power back to about premium unleaded..
Not too sure about the factual evidence on this because my car is only brand new and has only been tried on 3 tanks full. but il report back if it happens again.

Luke
Old 19-10-2006, 12:35 AM   #4
Danny
GT4.

Put V-Powerin in yesterday. AFAIK its the same as Optimax, so I'm not expecting anything.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 12:45 AM   #5
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD2004
I used V-Power Racing in the car and if has abit more bite.. but tends to return to normal fuel fairly quickly (i.e 2 days or so) so the first 2 days its full punch then after that it looses power back to about premium unleaded..
Not too sure about the factual evidence on this because my car is only brand new and has only been tried on 3 tanks full. but il report back if it happens again.

Luke
This is because the car takes a while to "learn" of the new fuel, and once learnt is compensating by injecting less fuel.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 02:00 AM   #6
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Shell claim that V-Power is a new blend
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 08:56 AM   #7
Marshy79

Well hopefully its a different fuel to Optimax.. but i doubt it.

Optimax had additives in it that eats plastic. I know when the first GEN3's came out some people only used Optimax and the petrol ate through the plastic in the fuel sender unit that lives in the tank... thus stuffing up their fuel gauge.

Also there was talk about Optimax's RON basically dying off as the fuel got older.

I use it if im filling up near work. Otherwise Mobil's premium i tend to think is th ebest fuel.
Marshy79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 11:39 AM   #8
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Marshy thats a big load of BS.

If the fuel did infact eat through plastic plenty of people would have problems not just holden V8's. Plenty of people optimax without ill effects and if the GEN3 has fuel sender problems its a GEN3 problem not a Optimax problem.

The life of fuel largly depends of how its stored. If you keep it in a sealed container in a cool place away from direct sunlight it can last 6months. 1month in a tank is the limit before it start get worse. This happens with ALL fuel.

Tests have been done and showed no difference between each 98RON fuel (Shell, BP, Mobil etc). IF you get 98ron no matter what brand you getting almost the same thing
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 12:19 PM   #9
Forest Bear

I always used optimax and collect the receipt and lob it in the car's log/diary every time. Will help when its time to sell.

This V-Power has "Friction Modification Technology" which lubes the parts the fuel comes into contact with. Sounds okay to me.
Forest Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 01:00 PM   #10
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well don't you all think it would take time for the V-Power to go through the pumps because I'm sure they wouldn't have pumped out the tank of Optimax and put in V-Power. I can only try it and see what my results are on my car. Like most of you have said it's the same thing

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
Old 19-10-2006, 02:08 PM   #11
Stugots
2006 Focus LX Hatch

They probably changed the name due to the dodgey reputation that's gone with Optimax (whether justified or not). Just search any Car/performance forum and you can be sure to find 'Don't use Optimax!' threads full of half-truths, rumors, rantings and bad experience stories about Shell Optimax. V-Power is probably the exact same fuel, just rebranded.
Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 02:16 PM   #12
BlackLS

THey've actually been using the V-power branding oversea for a while now. I recon there just standardising everything now. Any mention on the ethanol content?
Old 19-10-2006, 02:17 PM   #13
raymon81

I had always used optimax before but i just recently changed to vortex98 and find i get more kms out of the caltex fuel. I also think my car runs better on vortex98, the car feels smoother. Ill be trying this new fuel just to see if i can get more kms out of it, thats what matters most with me but like somebody said before, i belive its optimax with a different name only to get people interested.
Lowered 30-35mm King springs, Custom leather interior, Polished standard 17s rims, Cadance monoblock amplifier and Alpine Type S sub woofer, clear reverse+fog+tail lights, Angel eyes and a few CHROMEEEEEE bits on my baby.
raymon81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 02:19 PM   #14
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymon81
I had always used optimax before but i just recently changed to vortex98 and find i get more kms out of the caltex fuel. I also think my car runs better on vortex98, the car feels smoother. Ill be trying this new fuel just to see if i can get more kms out of it, thats what matters most with me but like somebody said before, i belive its optimax with a different name only to get people interested.
Rock on Caltex VORTEX98....

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 02:44 PM   #15
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
THey've actually been using the V-power branding oversea for a while now. I recon there just standardising everything now. Any mention on the ethanol content?
I read on the Shell website that V-Power does not contain any ethanol.

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
Old 19-10-2006, 03:58 PM   #16
Stugots
2006 Focus LX Hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOCUSonTHIS
Well don't you all think it would take time for the V-Power to go through the pumps because I'm sure they wouldn't have pumped out the tank of Optimax and put in V-Power. I can only try it and see what my results are on my car. Like most of you have said it's the same thing
At the end of the day, I think the fuel is only as good as how the shifty station owners and tanker companies handle the fuel, how long it's stored, condition of the storage tanks and what garbage they add to it between the refinery and the pump.

I've noticed the same fuel at 2 different servos to be completely different. The Caltex on Enmore Rd Newtown has consistently bad batches from my experience in both car & bike compared to some others.
Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 04:44 PM   #17
FRA
Mr Focus

Shell can call it whatever they like.
it's not that good.
Go Mobil
Cosworth: 2.5" high flow exhaust system, piston & rod 8.5.1 Ford Racing: Tail lights, engine cover, racing wing, cnc'd head, manifold, 70mm tb. Lentech: Torque Convertors with 23 spline input shaft, valvebody
Oz racing: WRC OBX: 4-2-1 race header
SCT: xcal3, dash scan.
FRA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 06:29 PM   #18
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Quote:
They usually put the fuel in the tanks for a month or so before they re-label it.
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 06:30 PM   #19
melbzetec

Quote:
I read on the Shell website that V-Power does not contain any ethanol.
V Power contains no ethanol. V Power Racing does
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.

Old 19-10-2006, 06:45 PM   #20
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the confirmation Steve, I was talking about the 98RON fuel not the 100RON. I think its the V-Power racing is the replacement for the Optimax with the ethanol

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
Old 19-10-2006, 07:49 PM   #21
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I have recently run a first tank on Vortex 98 and I'll be honest, I hit 300km on half a tank, normally I hit 260km on the Vortex standard premium (95 RON). It definitely pulls harder now too, in higher gears. I will wait to run a few more thanks before I truly judge, but it seems better in most ways so far.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:44 PM   #22
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Has anyone been using V-Power on their Focus/Mondeo?? If so what km are they getting from it

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
Old 13-11-2006, 12:07 AM   #23
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have been running it.... But to be honest, I dont get much difference... i find a bit more 'grunt' so i generally use it ;) :1syellow1
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 12:11 AM   #24
JD2004

Quote:
Thanks for the confirmation Steve, I was talking about the 98RON fuel not the 100RON. I think its the V-Power racing is the replacement for the Optimax with the ethanol
Optimax 98RON - V Power 98RON
Optimax Extreme 100RON + Ethanol - V Power Racing 100RON + Ethanol

They are two different fuels with different octane ratings

Luke
Old 13-11-2006, 08:04 AM   #25
BlackLS

Those with LR's, make sure you check the ethanol rating. LRs can't take ethanol
Old 13-11-2006, 03:18 PM   #26
mondeoman
Starter Motor

I thought any car was able to work properly on blends of up to 10% ethanol.
What is the problem with the LR Focus?
mondeoman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 04:57 PM   #27
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been using Optimax Extreme/V-Power Racing for a while, but currently i've been trying BP Ultimate, V-Power, Vortex98 etc etc. The 100RON (with 5% ethanol) fuel made the engine operate slightly smoother than 98RON fuels. Performance and fuel economy is roughly the same.

So yeah, whatever your priorities are.....
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 05:29 PM   #28
melbzetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondeoman
I thought any car was able to work properly on blends of up to 10% ethanol.
What is the problem with the LR Focus?
There are a handful of cars that manufacturers say should not use E10 ethanol blends. Focus LR is one of them. But supposedly could use E5

See FCAI link here

http://www.autoindustries.com.au/eth.../00000005.html

Old 13-11-2006, 05:47 PM   #29
mondeoman
Starter Motor

I see what you mean, I was suprised that a manufacturer would go backwards on ethanol compatibility like that. I was also unaware that Europe had a max of E5 fuel.
mondeoman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 07:03 PM   #30
Uni

i bought some Vortex 98 the other day, car runs like a dream

where does one buy this 100RON fuel? who makes it?

Uni/.
Uni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post