Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Old 19-02-2005, 11:18 AM   #1
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 
Default Sponsor banners

Guys,
I've noticed that the top of the page is a bit "busy" with all the sponsors logos and it looks like you mave have trouble fitting more on soon.

I was wondering if you have considered modifying the software so that when the page renders the script picks one logo to display. Next time it will display another sponsor logo. Every time you render a page you get another banner. As members surf the site they will get to see all the sponsor logos.

That way the sponsors can design entire banners instead of just a small logo and they all get equal exposure on the site. You will also be able to support more sponsors as well.

Just a thought.
cs123 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2005, 11:32 AM   #2
LUXO_8
windsor user

sounds like a good thing, i was thinking something the same...
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2005, 01:23 PM   #3
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Problem with that stuff is its just more overhead and download, more work for the server, and more delay for those poor sods who dont have broadband access.

I'd be hanginging onto the simple HTML stuff as much as is possible. It may be getting very busy there before long though.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2005, 02:19 PM   #4
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
Problem with that stuff is its just more overhead and download, more work for the server, and more delay for those poor sods who dont have broadband access.

I'd be hanginging onto the simple HTML stuff as much as is possible. It may be getting very busy there before long though.
I don't get you? I'm saying make the server pick a single sponsor each page load and round robin them. Same server load, same page size. This is achievable via a simple mod to the servlet
Old 19-02-2005, 02:37 PM   #5
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
I don't get you? I'm saying make the server pick a single sponsor each page load and round robin them. Same server load, same page size. This is achievable via a simple mod to the servlet
How do you ensure fair access time to all sponsors without using cookies etc, which ultimately chews bandwidth and increases server loadings?
Old 19-02-2005, 03:58 PM   #6
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

cookies??? what have they got to do with the suggestion?

Don't worry about bandwidth or server loading they are not affected by this sort of thing
Old 19-02-2005, 04:10 PM   #7
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
cookies??? what have they got to do with the suggestion?

Don't worry about bandwidth or server loading they are not affected by this sort of thing
Without cookies how do you ensure ech user sees all logos over a given time frame. I realise your suggestion may not have included the use of cookies.
Old 19-02-2005, 04:18 PM   #8
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

The decision to display the way we are was taken as we believe it is appropriate to provide all sponsors equal exposure all the time. Furthermore the overhead is only downloaded once each session and is cached from then on thus making best use of bandwidth. Yes; there is a physical limit to what can be displayed there and we are getting close to it, but that is a good fit with the overall strategic plan anyway.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2005, 04:42 PM   #9
seano14
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
Yes; there is a physical limit to what can be displayed there and we are getting close to it
i would say you guys are at it right now :

personally i dont mind them, its great to see so many sponsoring AFF - more money to run the site in the pockets of these great guys :1syellow1
seano14 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2005, 04:50 PM   #10
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
.... there is a physical limit to what can be displayed there and we are getting close to it, but that is a good fit with the overall strategic plan anyway........
And there are lots worse problems to have than a crowded sponsor area. You should be very proud of what you, and others have achieved with AFF.
Old 19-02-2005, 05:09 PM   #11
LUXO_8
windsor user

im am proud, bloody proud in fact...
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2005, 02:46 AM   #12
EB-maen
Rise, Toybota!

on the topic of the sponsor logos, just a simple suggestion: how about the links opening a new browser window when clicked, instead of loading in the existing one. i know you can just go right-click, open in new window, but i just thought itd be relatively simple to do

13.156 @ 110kph... down the highway :P

EB-maen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2005, 03:32 AM   #13
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Quote:
I was wondering if you have considered modifying the software so that when the page renders the script picks one logo to display. Next time it will display another sponsor logo. Every time you render a page you get another banner. As members surf the site they will get to see all the sponsor logos.
Sounds good. www.ls1.com.au is set up like that and it looks neater. Hit reload a few times to see what I mean.

*Oops, did I just admit that I visit the dark sides website?*

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2005, 09:40 AM   #14
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGZMK
Sounds good. www.ls1.com.au is set up like that and it looks neater. Hit reload a few times to see what I mean.

*Oops, did I just admit that I visit the dark sides website?*
There you go, that's exactly what I was suggesting. Bastards stole my idea!
Old 20-02-2005, 02:40 PM   #15
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

or maby you could have a simple animated gif which scrolls through the sponsers logos, therefore once the gif is loaded once, its cached into the computers hard drive and does not need to be loaded again either
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post