Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Old 27-01-2005, 12:54 PM   #1
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 
Post A few 'stolen' ideas.

After browsing a coupla other car related sites, that I'm a member of, I have a few comments / suggestions that I've seen on these others that seem to work pretty well.
Thought I'd throw them up in here for a bit of a discussion, see what people think.
In the area that comes up identifying the user(where ya name / avatar lives) some of the other sites display a small flag icon pointing out where a user is from(in the case of the other sites tis a country flag - for here prob a state flag?? / symbol could be used. Or possibly a map of oz with a pin point location on it.
In this same area - there is a number of icon links, one is to the users picture gallery, a link to search for all posts by that user, a link to vehicle details.
Alternatively these details are contained at the bottom / top of their signature area.
Ive seen some pretty well done graphical signatures on these sites also - a lot of these have been custom designed to be in keeping with the rest of the site. All of a similar style, but individualised / styled utilising the sites logos etc. Perhaps could be a value added feature available to donating members?? (Shouldn't pose too much of an issue to D/U guys as you can disable sigs anyway.) I'm sure some of the more talented banner makers out there could provide some inspiration for a sig template. Something like to the top header - using similar design cues & incorporating one of the users pics - or something completely different.
Another section that appears on other sites but seems absent on here - is a 'In the press' section, dedicated to stuff appearing in newspapers, magazines, TV/Film, Computer gaming(involving the particular makes cars etc) official factory press releases, hearsay/rumours etc.
I'm sure theres other stuff I've seen but fergotten to include in this post...will update it when I remember em...
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2005, 03:44 PM   #2
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

Most of that stuff is available with the click of a username.
In the interests of keeping the forums from looking cluttered I think it's better to have things readily available for those who want them (ie; in a drop down menu)
As opposed to having stuff written everywhere because most of the time it is irrelevant.
Location is visible if you chose for it to be displayed.

As for a news section, without the dreaded Autobot, anything that is posted will need to come from the forum members & can go in the pub/bar/pit sections as often as you wish to find and post it.
JADED6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2005, 07:40 PM   #3
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADED6
Most of that stuff is available with the click of a username.
In the interests of keeping the forums from looking cluttered I think it's better to have things readily available for those who want them (ie; in a drop down menu)
As opposed to having stuff written everywhere because most of the time it is irrelevant.
Location is visible if you chose for it to be displayed.

As for a news section, without the dreaded Autobot, anything that is posted will need to come from the forum members & can go in the pub/bar/pit sections as often as you wish to find and post it.
With regards to 'most of the stuff being available' (a relatively small part of my initial post) only 1 of those links - search for other posts by user - is available.
I do agree with the need to keep things clutter free, perhaps a couple of these extra features may be able to be added to the drop down list...
As for the 'In the press' / 'media pass' area - as you would no doubt be aware, there are a fair number of members on here with media accreditation, that may be able & prepared to supply content. This area would also be used to discuss topics sourced from the press / media, which would substantially free up area presently 'cluttering up' the pub / bar / pits areas. (in the pub today roughly 30% of the topics I'm refering to would fit in this area)
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2005, 07:56 PM   #4
autobot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADED6
I really am a nice person once you get to know me....
:newangel:
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2005, 08:10 PM   #5
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Damn Autobot gives me nightmares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2005, 08:58 PM   #6
champsky
THCC Motorsport member 1

lol with regards to the signature banners, im apart of another forum where the majority have a siggy banner, although i dont think it should really need to fit in with the forum, as sig banners are to help make you individual compared to everyone else, if they were to be implemented, i think it should be restricted to a certain size as to keep it neat and conformed while still being able to be urself.

but i guess you can do this once they decide that you cn put pics in ya siggy, twas just a thought after all

Member of the MTAS
Founder of TTM (team twink motorsport)

Founder of the AFFDDPS (Australian Ford Forums Drink Driving Punishment Squad)
champsky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2005, 10:55 PM   #7
b2tf
not here much anymore

Some very good ideas there Wulos, the flag idea was one i would have liked ot have seen on old FF simply cos half the time you didnt know if they were american or australian, not that it matters now.
Old 29-01-2005, 02:35 AM   #8
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

On a lot of other forums (i only use 3 non ford related forums)
1 of them has no sig regulations or restrictions and it's a bloody mess.
Posts take up 1 line and the sigs half a page (almost;))
JADED6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2005, 09:36 AM   #9
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Some good ideas wulos, not all so easy to be done, but well worth keeping in mind while tweaks are being made.

Thanks for the input

Signatures, well I like the way the forums look atm, not sure if it will improve the forums by having banners in them, maybe an option down the track for DM and only appearing once in a thread

Cheers
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2005, 11:31 AM   #10
irsa76
Snoopping

I would recommend having a look at the Vortex Media forums. They have tech pages, feature cars, project cars and weekly(?) member car features. Plus other good ideas as well.
irsa76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2005, 07:01 PM   #11
Tally
Starter Motor

only issue with some of these ideas is that it takes a high level of 'constant' input from admin/mods etc to keep things on track.. this along with current duties etc makes it kinda hectic for those doing it....

i like many of the ideas, but the tought of maintaining it.... :O
Tally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post