Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-05-2021, 09:32 AM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Synthetic fuel

I thought this is an interesting concept:

Quote:
Chile’s Haru Oni pilot project in the country’s Magallanes province takes advantage of the excellent wind conditions in southern Chile to produce climate-neutral fuel with the aid of green wind power.

The process involves electrolysis that splits water into its two components – oxygen and hydrogen – and then combining the hydrogen with air (after filtering out CO2) to form synthetic methanol. The methanol can be converted into climate-friendly fuel using an MTG (methanol to gasoline) technology to be licensed and supported by ExxonMobil.
Quote:
First, how is it made? To create synthetic fuel, water is separated into its two core elements – hydrogen and oxygen – using renewably sourced electricity (traditionally solar or wind). Carbon dioxide is then sourced from the air, and filtered through the hydrogen, creating a methanol, which can then be turned into fuel that is chemically similar to what is pumped into every car at a service station. In short, synthetic fuel takes the lengthy natural process of creating hydrocarbons, and replicates it with a rapid man-made procedure. The end result is nearly identical in its make-up to traditional fuels, but created in a renewable process.

Unlike hydrogen, synthetic fuel can be transported in the same way as regular petrol or diesel, and distributed in the same manner. This means there is no need to build new infrastructure, with existing service stations only requiring a simple retrofit similar to the change from leaded to unleaded petrol. Aiding the transition from regular to synthetic fuel is the fact that any car on the road today could use it without serious modifications. Every car, truck, plane, or boat that currently runs on petrol or diesel could transition to a synthetic alternative almost overnight. Considering the global passenger car fleet currently tallies around the 1 billion mark, that’s potentially a huge reduction in CO2 emissions.
https://premium.goauto.com.au/porsch...as-good-as-ev/

https://www.bosch.com/stories/synthetic-fuels/

https://www.whichcar.com.au/features...synthetic-fuel

Looks like a good stop gap between battery technology making a generational leap into something better than the junk we have today.

Makes me wonder if we should look into fuels like E85 as the interim as well, more environmentally friendly out the tail pipe and supports local farmers, easily retrofittable to existing infrastructure and vehicle on road.

Whats your thoughts?

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 18-05-2021 at 09:37 AM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-05-2021, 10:30 AM   #2
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Synthetic fuel

My gawd...I was just thinking about something like this last night, if we can create synthetic oil, why can't we create synthetic fuel? I wouldn't have an issue using synthetic fuel or stuff like E85, if my car can take it. If it means I get to keep my V8 longer then I'll feed it ANYTHING

As an aside, I would really like to see the total carbon footprint for EVs. EV batteries rely heavily on stuff like graphite. Graphite is one of the dirtiest dirt to dig out and process.
T3rminator is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-05-2021, 10:38 AM   #3
FroudeyBrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
My gawd...I was just thinking about something like this last night, if we can create synthetic oil, why can't we create synthetic fuel? I wouldn't have an issue using synthetic fuel or stuff like E85, if my car can take it. If it means I get to keep my V8 longer then I'll feed it ANYTHING

As an aside, I would really like to see the total carbon footprint for EVs. EV batteries rely heavily on stuff like graphite. Graphite is one of the dirtiest dirt to dig out and process.
I've always wondered if synthetic oil or refuse oil could be treated the same way as crude to make fuel, but its 2021 you'd think a synthetic fuel would exist by now.
FroudeyBrand is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-05-2021, 10:43 AM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by FroudeyBrand View Post
I've always wondered if synthetic oil or refuse oil could be treated the same way as crude to make fuel, but its 2021 you'd think a synthetic fuel would exist by now.
Its existed since the 1920s and was used during WWII for a bit, as in making petroleum based products from other natural resources (like coal).

I guess there's just been no need for it in modern times outside of world wars so it hasn't developed any further.
Old 18-05-2021, 10:47 AM   #5
Stubbie

I belong to a couple of motorcycle forums and the US guys on there complain about E85 gas constantly. According to them it degrades seals, hoses, distorts plastic fuel tanks and so on. In some areas that's all they can buy.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-05-2021, 10:54 AM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie View Post
I belong to a couple of motorcycle forums and the US guys on there complain about E85 gas constantly. According to them it degrades seals, hoses, distorts plastic fuel tanks and so on. In some areas that's all they can buy.
Its a good fuel but it needs ethanol resistant rubber/plastic components in the fuel system or it will destroy them in short order.

https://www.unitedpetroleum.com.au/fuel/e85/
Old 18-05-2021, 10:55 AM   #7
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

bio fuels are really only environmentally friendly if you look with blinkers on. Sure once they get to the bowser the tailpipe emissions are quite friendly, but not so much the production. At the very minimum you get the 'palm oil' issue where farmers cut down swathes of native forest to grow the crop that is harvested.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-05-2021, 10:57 AM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
bio fuels are really only environmentally friendly if you look with blinkers on. Sure once they get to the bowser the tailpipe emissions are quite friendly, but not so much the production. At the very minimum you get the 'palm oil' issue where farmers cut down swathes of native forest to grow the crop that is harvested.
You can manage that with legislation, in a first world country like Australia anyway, as far as a third world country is concerned, who cares to be honest let them wallow in their own filth if that's how they want to behave.

It creates issues around farmers stop growing food crops and start producing fuel crops instead as well.

The way I look at it we can do it the woke way in the West with fancy fuels and renewable energy, or we can do it my way and reduce the earths population by 60%

My way is cheaper and easier
Old 18-05-2021, 02:10 PM   #9
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Porsche have developed their own synthetic fuel. Not sure what their plans are though.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2021, 08:22 PM   #10
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

As good as this is, our Main Man Angus only has eyes for the black stuff obtained from the ground.
Well, i guess, they are the ones handing him the brown paper bags!!
ivorya is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2021, 04:23 PM   #11
bungarra

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
Bio fuels are not just from Palm Oil. If you have a basic understanding of chemistry, you can make them at home from used cooking oil and from oils from rice, olives etc, sugar and corn are used in South America.
bungarra is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post