Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-11-2007, 12:37 AM   #1
Hybrid34
|AFordEd|

Default Guy scratched my car, paint quotes?

2days ago, some old guy just skimmed my front bumper of my car with his, (owned up,).....as he's trying to persuade me "ah its not that big deal mate, its ok, i've got plenty of scratches on my car being really arrogant", he wants three quotes for the repair, even though the scratch its only 8cmlong and 1cm wide, i still want to get it fixed,
would anyone recommened a place to get a quote for paints? will i need to get it sprayed or touch up? as the scratch has basically peeled the paint back on the bumper..
thanks
- ash

3:4:5 LSD diff
JMM Extractors
2.5" Stainless Steel highflow cat
2.5" Exhaust
T5 transmission
Front Slotted rotors
Lowered on Pedders Sports Ryders
....and a cherry scented airfreshner

Speed determines how fast you hit the Traffic Light....Power determines how far you take it with you.
Hybrid34 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2007, 10:14 AM   #2
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

You dont have to get three quotes (thats only for insurance companies) but you should as he may be a pain in the ***.

You should actually give people the location your in as your details dont tell us. Also pics of the damage would let people tell you what needs to be done.

If the guys gives you a hard time, go with your insurance and let them chase him.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2007, 11:07 AM   #3
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
You dont have to get three quotes (thats only for insurance companies) but you should as he may be a pain in the ***.
No insurance company requires 3 quotes,all you are doing is wasting the panelshops time.

Post up a photo of the damage,the colour type of car etc all make a difference.
Old 13-11-2007, 01:10 PM   #4
danieleast
Chiller...

theres a pretty good guy in adelaide if you are in SA cost me 180 bucks to get my whole rear right corner fixed. and the whole corner needed too be resprayed. he did a great job.
danieleast is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2007, 01:39 PM   #5
Josh_XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If he is being arrogant get the 3 most expensive quotes
Bionic BF XR8 - 6 speed manual, reversing sensors, premium sound, GT starter button. 218rwkw - Got to love the BOSS!!
Josh_XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2007, 02:44 PM   #6
Hybrid34
|AFordEd|

Hey guys, Sorry heres the photos, I mean its nothing big at all, but its the fact that my car has a scratch on the bumper wheres a sbefore there was nothing, somepeople may think "uh leave it", but i take alot of care in my car, and hate to see paint being peeled off it,

If some people can reccomend some good places to get a quote,
oh and im in Victoria, Melbourne, Wheelers Hill/Glen wavlery..

as for the 3 quotes the guy said "if you want to get something like this fixed, your going to have to do it my way...3 quotes" <----Yes arrogant.

thanks all
- Ash
JMM Extractors
2.5" Exhaust
T5 transmission
Front Slotted rotors

Speed determines how fast you hit the Traffic Light....Power determines how far you take it with you.
Old 13-11-2007, 02:44 PM   #7
Hybrid34
|AFordEd|

Oh and i think the paints Artic blue (how can i find out?) as i only got this car a couple of weeks ago

Ash
JMM Extractors
2.5" Exhaust
T5 transmission
Front Slotted rotors

Old 13-11-2007, 03:55 PM   #8
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid34

as for the 3 quotes the guy said "if you want to get something like this fixed, your going to have to do it my way...3 quotes" <----Yes arrogant.

thanks all
- Ash
What a d*@(&$(@.

Just go to your insurance company, save the hassle and give him a bad rating for the rude behaviour. That's what you pay insurance premiums for! As you have his details, you wont need to pay an excess and it shouldnt affect your premium. Jerks like that need to be taught a lesson.

I once had a woman rear end me slightly, enough to take off a couple of chips of paint and warp the bumper slightly. I would have avoided insurance, hell if it was a little old lady I would have let it go. But she tried to do a runner and denied any damage even though she acknolwedged she hit my car.

Her husband rang, wanted to avoid insurance. I told him to tell his wife to be a bit more considerate next time, that it was already in the hands of my insurance company and that he has his wifes behaviour to thank.

Workhorse, stock as a rock

2004 BA MKI Futura - Now the wife's

For Show: 18" Kaotic Shadow Chrome, King SL all round, Cadence Amp, Kenwood 12" Sub, JL Audio 5x7's, Scuff Plates, MP3 Connector

For Go: SVI LPG, K&N Filter, F6 CAI, XR6T snorkle, XR8 catback, Magnaflow metal cat, Pacemaker headers, Underdrive, Thermostat, Custom tune, DBA4000

Now with baby seat and toys

175.6 rwkw

www.bseries.com.au/King_Nothing
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2007, 06:57 PM   #9
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Send him one quote for the repairer of choice (Pick the most expensive if you want) and send it to him with a letter from your lawyer demanding payment. If he doesn't pay go to court and slug him with the fees.
Old 14-11-2007, 01:37 AM   #10
Hybrid34
|AFordEd|

I spoke to him today, he wants to buy the paint (or me) and he'll pay me the money, and he said he'll touch it up:S as he's done it before with his car..hmm
Are you sure touching up the scratch in the picture above is recommended to do yourself? or will it look like a blotchy job, does anyone know how to do it?
thanks
JMM Extractors
2.5" Exhaust
T5 transmission
Front Slotted rotors

Old 14-11-2007, 01:44 AM   #11
LUXO_8
windsor user

definantly do not let him touch it up......get it done right...

he damaged your car and is trying to weasel out of coughing up
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2007, 02:09 AM   #12
T-BOOST
Blue Power enhanced

Do you, or do you not have insurance? If you do like others have said go through them. And please dont let him touch your car! Your asking for trouble.

It's not your fault and your car should be fixed so that it looks like it had never happened.
And yes it will look bodgey if you let him do it.

If he seems like a shifty bloke try to get some evidence that he has admited fault.

also selling my C.A.P.A tune box

pics of my Turbo Ghia are here
EGO TTG
Dont forget to rate it :
T-BOOST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2007, 02:17 AM   #13
SiKoRa_eL_97

Dude its obvious he wants to pull a shifty. Go through insurance company and get this settled with!

better confiscate his computer.
SiKoRa_eL_97 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2007, 02:29 AM   #14
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

The guy is an A-hole, just go through insurance and they will be ruthless enough to teach him a lesson...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2007, 03:24 AM   #15
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Nothing
Insurance, go through your insurance company, use your insurance
Cant be said enough.

The next line youll hear from this fellow is "mate professionals use pressure packs all the time". Followed by "enamel, its like two pack only it gives a much nicer and stronger finish". Possibly even "blue is blue, whats the difference?" And finally, "thats just overspray, it will wash off with soap and water mate".

Just run it through your insurance. If he complains to you, let him know you tried to help him to help himself, he kept at the shenanigans, enough is enough.

It will probably cost him about $300-400, and none of that will be your problem.

Last edited by fmc351; 14-11-2007 at 03:30 AM.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2007, 07:00 AM   #16
Buddy 1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I do agree with the Insurance company way however is a small issue that this guy sounds like trouble in one way or another & what if you go the insurance company & he then wants his revenge & one night you get back to your car only to see it with a bigger scratch on it done with a coin etc......
Is no way you could ever prove it was him & the Police would not even bother chasing it.
What about the mobile paint repair dudes as they come to you & are cheaper mostly.
Get a quote from one of them as well.
Good luck with it & do not trust this guy.
Buddy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2007, 09:46 AM   #17
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

I'll take a punt and say you seem like a young guy, and he is trying to play you for a fool. I was only 20 when the woman rear ended me, she tried to do the same thing because I was young. Don't let em get away with it! You have his details, that's more than enough. Go to your insurance company, the guy won't do squat as revenge. Good luck mate!

For Show: 18" Kaotic Shadow Chrome, King SL all round, Cadence Amp, Kenwood 12" Sub, JL Audio 5x7's, Scuff Plates, MP3 Connector

For Go: SVI LPG, K&N Filter, F6 CAI, XR6T snorkle, XR8 catback, Magnaflow metal cat, Pacemaker headers, Underdrive, Thermostat, Custom tune, DBA4000

175.6 rwkw

Old 14-11-2007, 09:48 AM   #18
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's more to fixing that scratch than just a blow in.... it will need a detail repair and the whole bar will need to be painted to ensure color accuracy and a consistent finish otherwise you'll see the blend or repair.
go through insurance or go to 2 large prestige panel shops.

Old 14-11-2007, 11:05 AM   #19
Go baby Go
Like no other..........

VIP car Care have a bumper and retouch dude that does really good work (all sprayed etc- none of this "I'll just use a brush stuff"). His names Ivan but no idea of his number or cost. VIP is 9553 2111. They will give you his number. the factory's in moorabbin, but he does other suburbs as well.

A recent study found the average Australian walks about 900 miles a year.
Another study found Australians drink, on average, 22 gallons of alcohol a year.
That means, on average, Australians get about 41 miles to the gallon.

Kind of makes you proud to be an aussie.
Go baby Go is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2007, 11:58 AM   #20
Hybrid34
|AFordEd|

Wow, thanks heaps for the feeback guys!, yeah i felt like he was playing me, only reason why i had a soft spot for him is because i was in the shopping centre when it happened and he left his details, car rego and phone number on my windscreen:S,
Yeah i don't want to use a touchup paint as im 99.9% sure it won't be as it should be,
fmc351 I like how you explained the steps on what he's gonna say:P
I"ll give that number a call and get a quote up,

one thing..how do i find the exact car color of my car:S?
JMM Extractors
2.5" Exhaust
T5 transmission
Front Slotted rotors

Old 14-11-2007, 12:06 PM   #21
silverxr8

Default insurance

Why aren't you putting it through insurance?
I can guarantee he won't pay when he sees the price of repair?
Do you have insurance? If so use it! It won't cost you anything at it will get him out of your life, he has already admitted fault!
silverxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2007, 01:50 PM   #22
Hybrid34
|AFordEd|

Yeah i've got full comp on it,
Its just i wasn't sure if i should go with it, as its a minor scratch (not like a smash or anything), is it worth going through the company?
From the picture, can anyone tell whats involved in fixing it up to 'scratch'?
JMM Extractors
2.5" Exhaust
T5 transmission
Front Slotted rotors

Old 14-11-2007, 02:13 PM   #23
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

Mate, you pay those mongrels hundreds of dollars every year, use it when it will be to your benefit. It will save you the headaches of having to deal with this guy, and the risk of him not paying up.

I don't have much experience but I'd say to fix that bar properly, it will need to be rubbed back and resprayed. You could just get a touch up but it wouldn't be as good quality.

Fair enough the guy was decent enough to leave his details. But it's pretty clear he is trying to screw you. Besides, he may have done the same thing in the past, done a runner, and been picked up on a security camera. The same thing happened at my old job in the club carpark. You never know.

175.6 rwkw

Old 14-11-2007, 04:30 PM   #24
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-BOOST
Do you, or do you not have insurance? If you do like others have said go through them. And please dont let him touch your car! Your asking for trouble.
Go through your insurance company they will give you a repair no to give to a panel shop and get it fixed correctly. Let him deal with the insurance company you don't have to talk or meet the bloke again .
But make sure you get it right on who was in the wrong otherwise it might cost you your premium.
End of story
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2007, 05:21 PM   #25
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah stuff him go straight to your insurance and make a claim against him - it wont affect your premiums because he'll be forking out for it... if he wants to play by his books he can do so with your insurance

dont even worry about this idiot... "if you want this fixed you do it my way" HAHAHA if it were me he'd be going to a dentist right now .... call your insurance company now, tell them that this guy is giving you a hard time and wont pay up for the damage

if it wasnt your fault anythings worth taking to your insurance, garunteed job and someone else pays for it all

good luck

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2007, 05:31 PM   #26
Hybrid34
|AFordEd|

thanks alot for all the support guys, i'll give my company a call asap!
This bii@ch wants to play hard ball..i'll give it 2 him;)
JMM Extractors
2.5" Exhaust
T5 transmission
Front Slotted rotors

Old 14-11-2007, 05:48 PM   #27
GT-E

You are doing the right thing.
The insurance company will get it fixed and then send the bill to the guy.
You might also find the guy put his details on your windscreen because 20 people watched him do it. I bet if his car has heaps of scratches, he has done it many times before and should not hold a license.
Old 14-11-2007, 08:54 PM   #28
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZapXR6T
You are doing the right thing.
+1

The guy sounds like a jerk.

Last edited by 3vXT; 14-11-2007 at 08:55 PM. Reason: because the roode word filter doesn't like p r ick :)
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2007, 09:28 PM   #29
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. All you need is a name and street address, then off to your insurance mob. Won't cost you a cracker and they will send them the bill. Like it was said before, they had to remove my bar, repaint the whole thing and replace it. And what ever you do, never fall for the touch up paint fix. My experience is it only makes it worse.
I'll bet he will be more careful next time!
Cheers - Eric
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post