Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-11-2010, 11:23 PM   #31
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytaka
I have to say that I am a bit confused at the way the sleve is becoming less of a job-stopper... personally I think a full sleve shouldn't be seen in any job that you have to wear a suit and tie. But I am a bit old-fashioned (lol, even though I am only 32)... I have had the same haircut, pretty much forever!

Well, if you wear suit and tie, or even long sleeve business shirt, you CAN'T see the sleeve :P

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2010, 07:56 PM   #32
PHANTMXR6
It's not an FG MKI.......

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willing to help out with useful advice in the technical areas of the forum. 
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
Unless they are in the position of offering you a job, a promotion, a contract or some other opportunity in life.

Having prominent tattoos is similar to having poor table manners, poor social skills or poor language skills. Those without the skills don't notice those that have them, but those that do have the skills sure notice those who don't.

If you want to get ahead in life, it is so much easier to make a good first impression and then cement it with your actions, rather than make a poor first impression and then try and remedy it with your actions.
That, I believe, would be discrimination.

Want to know how to do an A Service for an FG XR6T?

Look in this http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11339404

Thinking of oil sampling your engine?

Have a look at this trend http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ght=oil+sample
PHANTMXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2010, 08:11 PM   #33
Black F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew`SEVNT5
Well, if you wear suit and tie, or even long sleeve business shirt, you CAN'T see the sleeve :P
Exactly, im a chartered accountant with my own business, i have sleeves and my clients wouldnt have a clue i have tattoos
10.25@138mph FG XR6T (new toy) (Nizpro)
Black F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2010, 10:05 PM   #34
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im thinking its more rebelous now to not get tatts.

Its become a bit like AFL , more for women than blokes
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2010, 10:10 PM   #35
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTMXR6
That, I believe, would be discrimination.
Bugger discrimination, I'm in a service based industry and there is no way I would hire anybody who has tatts all over them (visible ones I mean). Like it or lump it, some people do have a certain mindset and even if it is not accurate it is still something you have to take into account.
Old 18-11-2010, 11:00 PM   #36
ego gtp
Club Moderator
Donating Member3

Default Tattoos

I take offence to her calling us all crims bogans etc I'm a sucessful businessman father and grand father in the last 14months have spent 140 hours in getting tattooed and I am very happy with all of them and I wouldn't change them for any thing and I more thing my wife and kids love them and don't give a xxxx what anyone else thinks cheers
ego gtp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2010, 11:11 PM   #37
PHANTMXR6

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willing to help out with useful advice in the technical areas of the forum. 
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Bugger discrimination, I'm in a service based industry and there is no way I would hire anybody who has tatts all over them (visible ones I mean). Like it or lump it, some people do have a certain mindset and even if it is not accurate it is still something you have to take into account.
You'd be in for a lawsuit with that attitude.

Old 18-11-2010, 11:18 PM   #38
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
No worries - I have these wonderful things called 'selection criteria' that I go through with every person who ever applies for a job with me.

Lawsuit count? 0.
Old 18-11-2010, 11:25 PM   #39
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Can understand exactly what b2tf is saying and I am the same. I have and would not employ some I have interviewed for exactly that reason including nose rings, pink hair and what I would call inappropriate tatts. My business and stuff the discrimination thing. Not putting someone on I believe would not be beneficial to my company. I like tatts and would have a lot more but some are just not right.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Auslandau; 18-11-2010 at 11:35 PM.
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2010, 12:37 AM   #40
PHANTMXR6

Smile

I guess it depends on the type of business you run.
Fair enough fellas.

Old 19-11-2010, 12:48 AM   #41
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
You cant argue with the bottom line.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2010, 01:25 AM   #42
Envi XR8
I love my beast too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
Unless they are in the position of offering you a job, a promotion, a contract or some other opportunity in life.

Having prominent tattoos is similar to having poor table manners, poor social skills or poor language skills. Those without the skills don't notice those that have them, but those that do have the skills sure notice those who don't.
Seriously, what dribble?
I guess I have to tell that to our company’s National Marketing Manager and the General Manager who offered me my promotion in July, and I will have to resign immediately. I’m guessing then that they did not see my Southern Cross tattoo on the inside of my forearm while I was wearing a polo shirt during my interview.

Sorry I’m off to eat some mashed potato with my fingers….. and to flick some at the roof…

Quote:
I’m hearing you loud and clear mate…. Provided that the non-tattooed staff provides that good service you are talking about, and don’t act like a tool and say…. re-direct someone’s possessions all over the country as an act of spite…. Now there’s a crappy mindset…
Envi XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2010, 01:27 AM   #43
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i walk lots i want to get 'im tired' and 'me too' on my feet.......
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2010, 04:44 PM   #44
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can't understand why people would want tattoos, nose rings, pink hair ect.
Some sort of mental problem or inferiority complex i think.
A bloke with tattoos do they think they are tuff?
A woman with tattoos
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2010, 05:36 PM   #45
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
i walk lots i want to get 'im tired' and 'me too' on my feet.......

I fight people heaps because I have tatts. I've decided I'm going to get my biceps names tattooed on each one....'Des' and 'Troy'

Together, they destroy.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2010, 06:22 PM   #46
PHANTMXR6

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan
No. I don't. Why would you think like that?

Got nothing to do with mental problems or inferiority complexes either.

You have your opinion and I have mine.

Old 19-11-2010, 06:28 PM   #47
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I once saw a ZOO mag with a pic of some blokes tattoos on his knuckles that said THAT HURT. The size of his forearms would scare me off picking a fight with him! Not that I would. My tattoos indicate significant things in my life, in no way am I a thug or a fighter, and I hate when people assume that I am.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2010, 08:21 PM   #48
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
... and I hate when people assume that I am.
Makes you want to punch em in the face?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envi XR8
I’m hearing you loud and clear mate…. Provided that the non-tattooed staff provides that good service you are talking about, and don’t act like a tool and say…. re-direct someone’s possessions all over the country as an act of spite…. Now there’s a crappy mindset…
The concept doesnt necessarily reflect personal views of the employer, simply its a bit much to ask someone who has their assets on the line running a business, to prove the general public wrong. Some customers would be put off, and its their money that keeps the business owner and his assets united.
Old 19-11-2010, 10:00 PM   #49
Titus Balzac
Starter Motor

To me it's a bit like a young woman wearing revealing/provocative outfits in public and then complaining about how some people perceive or react to her. At the end of the day it's her body and her form of expression. Tattoos may also give people who don't have them certain ideas about those individuals. It may be the wrong ideas but that's just how it is really.
Titus Balzac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2010, 10:08 PM   #50
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad24
People with tattoo's dont look down on people who dont have them.
Its a shame its not allways reciprocated
Thats it, the difference between people with tatts and people without is people with tatts don't care if you have tatts or not.
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2010, 10:20 PM   #51
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
and don’t act like a tool and say…. re-direct someone’s possessions all over the country as an act of spite…. Now there’s a crappy mindset…
pffftttttttt many moons ago and I don't really care. Obviously you're an angel.
Old 19-11-2010, 10:38 PM   #52
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think tatts have evolved over the years. Years ago they may have been mostly found on prisoners, bikers or war vets. But I think now it's more about an expression of the indivdual for their own reasons, rather than a generalisation. I don't have any myself. But I have nothing against those wanting to get one. I believe if you want a tatt, it's your skin, your decision. Go for it. I have many mates with tatts and I've been thinking about one for years.

Not sure I'd be firing or not hiring people because they had a tatt. You never know what your missing out on my not employing them, especially if they sound good on paper. It's no different to an employer choosing not to hirer females for fear they will get pregnant and want maternity leave.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2010, 10:39 PM   #53
Envi XR8
I love my beast too!

Quote:
pffftttttttt many moons ago and I don't really care. Obviously you're an angel.
Old 19-11-2010, 10:49 PM   #54
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
I fight people heaps because I have tatts. I've decided I'm going to get my biceps names tattooed on each one....'Des' and 'Troy'

Together, they destroy.
I'm confused.... is it even possible to touch your biceps together so they can Des-Troy?>
Old 20-11-2010, 09:09 AM   #55
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
I'm confused.... is it even possible to touch your biceps together so they can Des-Troy?>
Ah cos I'm such a thug I'll just rip my own arm clean orf and zip tie it to my other one.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2010, 07:01 PM   #56
Envi XR8
I love my beast too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
The concept doesnt necessarily reflect personal views of the employer, simply its a bit much to ask someone who has their assets on the line running a business, to prove the general public wrong. Some customers would be put off, and its their money that keeps the business owner and his assets united.
I see your point, however in my experience, most employers I have worked for, hire on skill and ability. I have known heavily tattooed people that have been poached by companies because of how good they were at their job. You can't see tattoos on a resume or job application when shuffling through and pick those candidates that meet your pre-conceive idea of the type of person you are looking to hire.

Going on what some are saying here, if two people came in for the same job, had the sames skill set and experience, but one had a visible tattoo and the other had a crap attitude, they would hire the person with a bad attitude; and believe me, anyone who owns or manages a business would be likely to agree that a bad attitude would cost you more customers that a staff member with a tattoo. Especially considering that as the reporter said, it is becoming more popular than ever. It would be unlikely for a tattooed customer to be concerned about a tattooed staff member.

Not hiring someone because of a tattoo is the same as saying you won't hire based on any of the common grounds of discrimination found today. It is an out of date and prejudiced concept in the extreme and held dear by those who are living in the dark ages.
Old 20-11-2010, 09:10 PM   #57
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
I see your point, however in my experience, most employers I have worked for, hire on skill and ability. I have known heavily tattooed people that have been poached by companies because of how good they were at their job. You can't see tattoos on a resume or job application when shuffling through and pick those candidates that meet your pre-conceive idea of the type of person you are looking to hire.

Going on what some are saying here, if two people came in for the same job, had the sames skill set and experience, but one had a visible tattoo and the other had a crap attitude, they would hire the person with a bad attitude; and believe me, anyone who owns or manages a business would be likely to agree that a bad attitude would cost you more customers that a staff member with a tattoo. Especially considering that as the reporter said, it is becoming more popular than ever. It would be unlikely for a tattooed customer to be concerned about a tattooed staff member.

Not hiring someone because of a tattoo is the same as saying you won't hire based on any of the common grounds of discrimination found today. It is an out of date and prejudiced concept in the extreme and held dear by those who are living in the dark ages.
Depends on your clientèle. I dont think the first sentence of your your second paragraph is correct. Most sensible people would hire the guy with the tats, but in reality would simply seek an alternative that had neither the poor attitude or tats showing. There are just some situations where tats also cost you work.

If it helps, I have tats but can cover them easily enough with short sleeves.
Old 21-11-2010, 05:32 PM   #58
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Looking at it from a psychological standpoint, that of the person getting the tattoo....

People who wear lots of jewelry (many necklaces, many bracelets, all at the same time, and rings on every finger) are identified by psychologists as people with low self esteem. They do not feel good about themselves so they adorn themselves with what they consider to be pretty, attractive, and valuable things to give themselves a sense of self worth. It gives them something positive to talk about with others since there may not be anything else they do that others would find interesting. My mother inlaw is a quintessential example of this.

Based on the above psychological statement, I feel people that have an excessive amount of tattoos have them for the same reason. By excessive I mean the people who have a complete sleeve, leg, or tattoos on the neck and face that take up a lot of space. I feel these people are adorning themselves with something they feel is attractive, very cool, or at least worthy of speaking about, because they lack self esteem and have a less than desireable outlook of themselves.

As such, if I were an employer I would not be inclined to employ these people. I know that there are exceptions to this generalization, but exceptions are in a minority.

People who have tattoos for a specific reason or purpose are usually not lacking in self esteeem. It is the same as anything else they have that is not in excess. It fills a purpose/want.

I have a tattoo. Yes, only one. I may get another but I don't feel the need or have enough of a desire to yet. Mine is of a dragon. It took me 4 years to conclude that I indeed wanted one, and then another 2 years to find the right one. I ended up having an original drawn up. I knew what I wanted, but I didn't know exactly how to achieve that desire. Over the 2 years I realized what that was and could tell an artist what it should include.

My dragon is not a typical snarling or screaming, vicious looking killer. It is instead symbollic of the Chinese values of the dragon, though it is not an oriental dragon. The Chinese values include nobility and intelligence. I feel I came up with a design that captures that, and more importantly, people seeing my tattoo also gather those notions about it, which I suspect they then expect these traits from me. They are traits I actively pursue.

I agree with what another poster said on here. People who get tattoos when they are in their teens or early 20's are not likely to be into the same things when they are 35 and 40. I got my tattoo when I was 39. I am glad I waited until then. Then again, I was not interested in a tattoo before then.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2010, 07:04 PM   #59
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I is got two dragons blowing flaming snot across my man boobs because only one dragon would leave me with a cold lonely man boob.... personal choice live it and love it and your mum may belt you over the head for being a tattooed DH.... she will get over it and still love you though and that is ALL that counts...
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2010, 01:34 AM   #60
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan
I can't understand why people would want tattoos, nose rings, pink hair ect.
Some sort of mental problem or inferiority complex i think.
A woman with tattoos

wat?

So, everyone should like everything you like & want, and nothing more?

Anyhew... FWIW, I have tatts, and piercings.

I don't wear my piercings at work, nor show my tattoos. My personal, off the clock time is my own, however.

And, for mine, women with GOOD tattoos (ie: not a butterfly/rose on the hip/trampstamp) are goddamn fantastic.

BUT!

IF you don't like em.... ok, cool, thats your opinion. I just don't see the need for name calling/negative insinuations....

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-

Last edited by drew`SEVNT5; 22-11-2010 at 01:43 AM.
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post