Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-04-2006, 09:38 PM   #31
crannersEL
Banned

$1.40 chirny BP got 17ltrs for my $25 getting stupid and the price is only going to increase over the next few weeks
crannersEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 09:40 PM   #32
Agent86
Not so low, not so slow.

well whoever said a recession is comiong said a mouthfull.

I work in the ... AHEM. " Freight Relocation " industry, and fuel costs have been drivign people out of buisness for the last 18 months. now with this latest excuse to push diesel up over the $1.40 mark, not only will big companys like safeway and etc profiteer, they will continue to infact pay lower and lower rates to the subbies who do their work.

The rates on offer have been steadily cut, yes CUT, for the last 15 years.
Hands up who else has taken a pay cut for the priveledge of working? :(
Agent86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 09:44 PM   #33
ED turbo (mickmalta)
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont get it why diesel is so much more than fuel...... isnt diesel just junk anyway?

What i mean is, why is europe's diesel so much cheaper than its unleaded?

Isnt diesel a biproduct of petrol?

1984 Pontiac trans am

Gone but not forgotten: 1993 Falcon futura turbo.
ED turbo (mickmalta) is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 09:45 PM   #34
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddnez
The rates on offer have been steadily cut, yes CUT, for the last 15 years.
Hands up who else has taken a pay cut for the priveledge of working? :(
Me. Pricks are changing my roster without permission. Leaving me with only 1 option. That is putting my kids in childcare and being $460 per fortnight out of pocket. So much for me earning a decent wage. This puts me back to $500pw. The other 1/3rd goes to childcare.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 09:53 PM   #35
Walkinshaw
Two > One

It’s funny to see so many misguided comments regarding politics and voting socio-groups (from both sides mind you).

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 10:10 PM   #36
BJ
Banned

It boils down to one thing people, if you need it pay it if you dint then dot pay the price. We are all feeling the pinch aren't we. No matter how much you b!tch and Winne it isn't going to a dam thing. me personally, couldn't care less. If they think i am going to drive either of my V8s less i don't think so. Think of the poor bloke who has a diesel $1.60lt in Ringwood.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 11:06 PM   #37
johnnyb

At the price of $1.50.9 for Mobil 8000 in Sydney the GT will be locked up for a very long time.

Bring on the new barina
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 11:22 PM   #38
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb
At the price of $1.50.9 for Mobil 8000 in Sydney the GT will be locked up for a very long time.

Bring on the new barina
hehe. I'm already considering locking the XB away for a few years. Maybe then I'll have less debt. Hence more disposable income to throw $200-$300 in the tank. My work situation isn't helping though. They are like banks removing all your perks ie penalities.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 08:27 AM   #39
aumexican

I got my fuel card in a salary sacrifice package with my car I pay $1.50 on my star card with the difference coming back to me.
This was worked out by Caltex in Jan!

HMMM!! think they might have known something then!!! :the_finge
aumexican is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 08:39 AM   #40
HLC
Audi S3

go the woolworths Docket!!!!!

i might just start putting ethanol in my car. i dont care... i a uni-studnets wage trying to save for insurace, my money is dissappearing hard and fast :
Old 20-04-2006, 08:45 AM   #41
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Petrol up here this morning was $1.27 for 91RON.

LPG is slowly going down in price, was 56.9 cents this morning.
Old 20-04-2006, 08:50 AM   #42
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've heard "experts" tell us that a rise of US$1/barrel in oil SHOULD translate to AU$0.01 rise at the pump in Australia. So if oil jumps from say US$67 to US$71 .. where does the typical AU$0.13->0.18 cent jump come from? At our current prices oil should theoretically be about US$90/barrel????
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 08:54 AM   #43
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

WTF does a woolworths 4cpl docket do? Save you $6 off a $100 full tank? Bugger all really? Caltex charge $5 for a pack a keetle chips damit!!!!

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 08:56 AM   #44
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Filled up the Territory yesterday at $1.36.9/L @ 70L = $95.83
This gets me around 600km for this amount (freeway driving)

Filled the ute the other day at 47.9c/L @ 85L = $40.72
This gets me around 550-600km of inner city driving and heavy load carrying.
Now on the highway I'd be getting 700km or more out of that amount.

Territory costs more than double to fill to get the same mileage as I get in the ute.
Wish i could convert the Territory over to LPG ... that saving would be phenomenal ... I'd make the conversion costs back in less than 2 years and then continue saving for a lot longer.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 09:02 AM   #45
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
WTF does a woolworths 4cpl docket do? Save you $6 off a $100 full tank? Bugger all really? Caltex charge $5 for a pack a keetle chips damit!!!!
hey, when you are earning 4/5ths of stuff all per week, $4 off a $100 not 6, full tank is a saving. it might be small. but its a start.
Old 20-04-2006, 09:07 AM   #46
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Yeah, I guess your right, but some ppl act like the 4cpl docket is like a half price discount.... in reality it doesn't give as big a saving as people first think.... thats alll I really meant.

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 09:14 AM   #47
SIKXR8220

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawolf
I think in WA, they have state legistation they cannot raise the price by more than 6 cents a day? Can anyone confirm?
This is not true, the way it works is that fuel stations have to tell the price they will charge the next day to fuel watch by 2.30pm so if you log onto the website you will know what the price will be tommorow, it allows you to plan ahead and buy on the cheapest day the fuel station can raise the price as much as they want as long as thats the price they have given fuel watch. If the price is different to what they told fuel watch then they get a big fine even if they lower their price(work that one out).

ULP hit $1.40 here today.Even if the government reduced the excise by 10% that means they would only lose 100 million australia wide i think they could afford that with the surplus they have every year and we would save about 10c a litre.
SIKXR8220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 09:20 AM   #48
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
Yeah, I guess your right, but some ppl act like the 4cpl docket is like a half price discount.... in reality it doesn't give as big a saving as people first think.... thats alll I really meant.
yeah for sure, im only saving 2-3 bucks on a full tank of fuel.... but in like 20 tanks, i effectively get a free one cause of the savings :

but hey, ya gotta start somewhere.
Old 20-04-2006, 09:21 AM   #49
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKXR8220
This is not true, the way it works is that fuel stations have to tell the price they will charge the next day to fuel watch by 2.30pm so if you log onto the website you will know what the price will be tommorow, it allows you to plan ahead and buy on the cheapest day the fuel station can raise the price as much as they want as long as thats the price they have given fuel watch. If the price is different to what they told fuel watch then they get a big fine even if they lower their price(work that one out).

ULP hit $1.40 here today.Even if the government reduced the excise by 10% that means they would only lose 100 million australia wide i think they could afford that with the surplus they have every year and we would save about 10c a litre.
link?
Old 20-04-2006, 09:24 AM   #50
SIKXR8220

http://www.fuelwatch.com.au

Its alright, i get e-mails everyday of the 10 lowest prices in my area so i tend to be able to get fuel on the cheapest day of the week.
SIKXR8220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 09:28 AM   #51
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKXR8220
http://www.fuelwatch.com.au

Its alright, i get e-mails everyday of the 10 lowest prices in my area so i tend to be able to get fuel on the cheapest day of the week.

That's for WA though ... not NSW.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 10:00 AM   #52
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One servo here went from 118.9 last night to 139.9 this morning.. another servo 300m down the road is still at 118.9. Funny thing is the first servo looked quite busy still :

Im glad im running LPG !
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 12:15 PM   #53
Brent79

Sorry, i just have to add fuel (as expensive as it may be) to the fire. People often forget the basics of politics and what the parties stand for. The Liberal party (coalition with Nationals bending over) believes in a user pays system. That means that while u continue to pay tax on everything, Liberal idealisms are that you also pay for health, infurstucture, transport, etc from your own pokets. Funding for these which should be subsidised by your income tax dollar. Labour stands for the working man who is trying to bring equality to the general population. Its ok to say well just get a better job or earn more money to be better off under a liberal government but not everyone can be a lawyer, doctor, etc. We still need retail people, factory workers, etc. And for them, Liberals only want to pay them less then they already are. (ie, IR laws) 17 percent interest rates... What a joke. When labor was in government, the average price of a home was $150,000. Imagine if today at a price of $300,000+ for a home, johnny and his reserve bank mates had %17 interest. Not sustainable. Just remember what the parties stand for. I agree with ED TURBO.

Brent
Tickford Head and Wade 1004 cam
HP4 Chiptorque chip and XH intake

1992 DC LTD
5LTR DUEL FUEL
Brent79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 12:19 PM   #54
347_XR8
Slide Baby Slide

I just put $50 inot my XR8 and it barely got me 1/2 a tank. I have to use premium fuel because of the high compression in it. Damn petrol prices!!!!

Mr Super Skid-Man
347_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 12:30 PM   #55
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent79
Sorry, i just have to add fuel (as expensive as it may be) to the fire. People often forget the basics of politics and what the parties stand for. The Liberal party (coalition with Nationals bending over) believes in a user pays system. That means that while u continue to pay tax on everything, Liberal idealisms are that you also pay for health, infurstucture, transport, etc from your own pokets. Funding for these which should be subsidised by your income tax dollar. Labour stands for the working man who is trying to bring equality to the general population. Its ok to say well just get a better job or earn more money to be better off under a liberal government but not everyone can be a lawyer, doctor, etc. We still need retail people, factory workers, etc. And for them, Liberals only want to pay them less then they already are. (ie, IR laws) 17 percent interest rates... What a joke. When labor was in government, the average price of a home was $150,000. Imagine if today at a price of $300,000+ for a home, johnny and his reserve bank mates had %17 interest. Not sustainable. Just remember what the parties stand for. I agree with ED TURBO.

Brent
lets get back on topic. do not turn this into a political labor VS liberal argument!

the price rising so much has nothing to do with the government! we are paying the same tax on fuel as we did when fuel was $1 a litre, its not a percentage thing. if we got tax relief on petrol, we will simply get the same tax elsewhere and the petrol prices will still rise due to the oil companys.

petrol tax is a luxury tax, just like tax on ciggerets, alcohol, if you want the luxury of owning your own motor vehicle, smoking etc you pay the tax. if you cant afford the luxury or dont wish to pay for it, then jump on the bus, or stop smoking, its quite simple.
i'd rather pay tax on something i dont nessesarily need, then pay tax on the things i need to live.

the only thing the governemnt is guilty for is the crap public transport, but the reaso why its crap is because not many people use it, if more people use it, there will be more money to improve it
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 12:54 PM   #56
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED turbo (mickmalta)
We are basically being held at ransom by a government who isnt interested in how low wage earners live, but by how many ppl he can screw over for as long as it takes before someone (a motoring body) decides to stand up and do something about the 50 cents + a litre going straight into little Johhny's pocket.

$70 a barrel for oil dosent warrant $1.43 at the bowser.
Look im not going to comment on your voting preference. But just ask that you consider the following:

The following graph represents the futures derivative price for the delivery of one barrel of light sweet crude - as traded on the new york mercantile exchange.

Now - the data i have isnt perfect (lol, bear with me) - so just look at the NYMEX price from march onwards - as this lines up the data in the next graph.

The following graph represents the pump price of unleaded petrol (taken from WA's fuel watch site - but within a few c/L is representative of what we are all paying - with the exception of QLD):

Notice anything? I think it's fair to say they are following a VERY similar trend. Now i dont have the time (or the wish) to demonstrate the correlation between these two - but i'd wager that it's close to 80% or 90%.

An interesting point to note was what happened in australia over the easter weekend. The oil companies actually HELD OFF on increasing the wholesale price - despite the fact they were paying more at the singapore index price - in order to reduce the consumer backlash that $1.40/L prices over easter would have resulted in. But i digress...

Paying $1.40/L for fuel - despite what some seem to believe - is not the work of the prime minister of australia. This isnt even a political issue - i cant understand why lib vs ALP was brought up???

This is basic supply and demand economics. OK - so there's nothing simple about the price of oil - but the basic underlying volatility is simple supply and demand.

The call appears to be "drop the GST on fuel". Correct?

Dont you think that's just a little short sighted? OK, so we drop the GST and fuel comes down to $1.26/L. Oil climbs to $80/bbl.... pump price climbs to $1.40/L again. We're back to square one but with billions missing from the budget... great.

Maybe we can rape some more money from your pay packet to cover it?
Or close a few hospitals?
Or stop paying off foreign debt?

ALL so that YOU can get a PRECIOUS RESOURCE at a price which SUITS YOU?

We are to blame. Each and every one of us. PARTICULARLY those of us who think we have the RIGHT to drive cars with MUCH WORSE fuel consumption than possible alternatives. It was all good for the west to develop an addiction to large cars until china and india finally hit heavy industrialisation wasnt it? Oh - now another 1+ billion mouths to feed from the same oil wells. But FFS they have just as much right to the oil as anyone else.

You want to point fingers then look a little closer to home because you wont find the answer on either side of parliament house.

The construction of a car will consume TWICE its weight in fossil fuels like oil. The computer in front of you consumed 10 TIMES ITS WEIGHT IN OIL during its production.

OK so i sound a little angry - but please rest assured it is not directed at any individual on this site. I just get so frustrated with people blaming every aspect of their life on the government - petrol prices being the worst offender of them all.

How much are you willing to sacrifice in order to get something as PETTY as cheap petrol??????
Old 20-04-2006, 12:55 PM   #57
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How many litres do one of those Shell oil trucks/tankers hold? and how long is the fuels shelf life? out:
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 12:56 PM   #58
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

i put my computer together myself and didnt use any oil.. therefor where is my cheap petrol1?!
Old 20-04-2006, 01:07 PM   #59
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_Phill
i put my computer together myself and didnt use any oil.. therefor where is my cheap petrol1?!
did you make the microchips, the circuit boards, the metal casing, the wiring, the plastics, the lcds etc, which you used to put that computer together? you must be very handy
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 01:07 PM   #60
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thre is an upside to this, as it seems as though history is repeating itself.
There was a fuel crisis in the early 70's, and that fuel crisis saved many muscle cars from being driven and basically placed in storage for many years. Great for the collector/muscle car appreciator of the future.