Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-11-2013, 02:40 AM   #61
Serial_Fool
Whipper Snappa

Default Re: $115,000 for a Falcon? FPV owners try to cash in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
Not so... Even the old six bangers in good condition are worth what a new Falcon sells for. Why? Because they come from a time that will never ever be repeated in the automotive world. That of wild old school styling and balls to the wall machismo. Something that is sadly lacking in modern offerings. There is absolutely no way that a standard 6 pot EB or current plastic offerings will ever appreciate as much as the old chrome bumpered cars... (unfortunately, I have been known to be wrong before, but I can't see it happening...
That may be true for Boomers who grew up during that era, or perhaps even Generation X who grew up in the aftermath of it, but most people of my generation don't care about the feats of the GTHO. It doesn't impact us.

We grew up in a time of V8 Supercars and XR6T's and XR8s. If Ford lovers are going to want cars from this era, they are going to be worth money in the future. Not all of the cars of course, but select hero models or historically significant models.
Old 30-11-2013, 09:47 AM   #62
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serial_Fool View Post
That may be true for Boomers who grew up during that era, or perhaps even Generation X who grew up in the aftermath of it, but most people of my generation don't care about the feats of the GTHO. It doesn't impact us.

We grew up in a time of V8 Supercars and XR6T's and XR8s. If Ford lovers are going to want cars from this era, they are going to be worth money in the future. Not all of the cars of course, but select hero models or historically significant models.
That is probably true that the younger people have no connection to the older cars but there are many, many younger people who stare and point at my old battered ZD when I drive it. Probably the stacked headlights that gets them. Also, there are more than a few young people who have an appreciation of XA-C models where I work. I had many a protest over the last year about preparing an XB ute for demolition derby even though it was a basket case...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #63
jamies

Approx 13 years ago my mate was talking to me about buying this XY GT in Adelaide it was $30k genuine car. He was squirming over paying such a high price for an old car. He bit the bullet paid the cash and let's fast forward to 2013 it's now insured for $100k plus, yeah good times. I owned an XD ESP in immaculate condition hermitage red with a group c flare kit. It had 16 x 10 and 16 x 12 P5 racing Simmons these wheels came off an XC touring car. The ESP had a worked 351 and all the good bits and had only 100,000k's on the clock genuine two owner car with all history. I couldn't sell it for two years. Finally sold it for $10k unreg'd in 2004. Two years later I get a ph call from a guy in WA who wanted to know all it's history. Then he precedes to tell me he sold it for $30k.. No one can predict what these performance fords will do price wise.. Some interesting times to come indeed.

Last edited by jamies; 30-11-2013 at 02:47 PM.
jamies is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-11-2013, 05:05 PM   #64
Jallopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
I think a few of us are gonna be looking back at this thread in 30 odd years, and be either laughing all the way to the bank or crying.
In 1978 I had a 1969 428 Manual Cobra Jet Mustang. I sold it for $12,000 .
Do I have any regrets about selling it people ask me from time to time...
as they are now worth $70,000 - $100,000+ .
No regrets at all as I used that money for a deposit for a house, rented it out to pay the mortgage. I now own the house and it is worth $700,000 just like every other similar house in the street.

Today I could sell the house and buy 6 of the best 1969 Mustangs if I wanted.

If you think you are going to make a killing from selecting a desirable car today and putting it away for 30 + years good luck
Old 30-11-2013, 05:51 PM   #65
HULK_I6T
Banned

I don't think they will ever be collectible.

But in the 70s everyone had a 351 v8 or a 302. Ford and Holden were the top selling cars and people didn't rate the Korean cars let alone jap cars. Even the euros were out of reach of many. There were very few options, you pretty much had to have a v8 falcon or Holden.

So people grew up with fond memories of their ford/Holden v8s.. Hence they pay to get one to feel they are going back in time to relive their youth.

These days falcon and commodore aren't even at the top of the sales charts? Who exactly is growing up with fond memories of current r-spec fpv cars? There are so many more cars available for sale today, it's not funny.

It's only us on the forum that even know they exist. Fpv aren't closing because they can't meet demand, it's because outside of this community no one wants them.

In 30 years time many of us won't even be able to drive.. Our kids won't know what a r spec is and they won't care if you try to tell them.

Buy it to enjoy today, those looking to cash in are going to be bitterly disappointed. At best they will go to obscure antique car shows to show them off. The only way they will appreciate in value is if we (this community) bid against one another in 30 years for them.
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2013, 09:30 AM   #66
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

old car are build basic so pretty much all the parts still work after 40 years, an FG in 40 years time will be junk even if its the FPV GT Rspec on carsales now for $125,000. to retian any value it needs to be parked in a cacoon for 40 years.
i would say in 40 years it would still be worth $125k but $125k in 40 years will be the first year apprentice wage
put $125k into a block of land and in 40 years you might have $1M

GT's should be driven not stored thats the whole point of them, they are a fast comfy cruiser

I just bought a BA GT and the guy had it forsale for 6 months and i was the first looker that goes to show there is no market for them
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #67
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6_benito View Post
I don't think they will ever be collectible.

But in the 70s everyone had a 351 v8 or a 302. Ford and Holden were the top selling cars and people didn't rate the Korean cars let alone jap cars. Even the euros were out of reach of many. There were very few options, you pretty much had to have a v8 falcon or Holden.

So people grew up with fond memories of their ford/Holden v8s.. Hence they pay to get one to feel they are going back in time to relive their youth.

These days falcon and commodore aren't even at the top of the sales charts? Who exactly is growing up with fond memories of current r-spec fpv cars? There are so many more cars available for sale today, it's not funny.

It's only us on the forum that even know they exist. Fpv aren't closing because they can't meet demand, it's because outside of this community no one wants them.

In 30 years time many of us won't even be able to drive.. Our kids won't know what a r spec is and they won't care if you try to tell them.

Buy it to enjoy today, those looking to cash in are going to be bitterly disappointed. At best they will go to obscure antique car shows to show them off. The only way they will appreciate in value is if we (this community) bid against one another in 30 years for them.
the prophet hulk has spoken
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #68
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

What if we look at some of the current or more 'modern' cars that are appreciating in value.

* Datto 1600 - Around the 20k mark for a decent one,
* Datto 240Z - starting at high teens to mid 30k (and one at 64K!),
* Early Corolla - starting at 3-5k up to 10-14k
* Fiat 500 - decent ones are hovering around the 20k mark,
* VL Commy starting at 3k all the way to high teens for a decent Turbo
* Ford Landau?? Falcon XA, XB XC, XL, XR, XY, XW, etc etc etc

Un-molested, clean, well looked after examples are fetching a premium. As long as people have money to spend these will remain collectable and valuable.

I'm sure there are a heap more that can be added to the list that were only 'shopping hacks worth a few slabs' at one stage in their past.

Who knows what will happen with FPV prices. I think you should buy the car to enjoy personally, and if it goes up great, and if it goes to scrap at least you have enjoyed the ride there....

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2013, 10:40 PM   #69
Kayos
Lag = hang onto something

What people ask and what they get are two different things all together, if you have 300+ to throw at a phase III and expect to make a profit good luck those days are done. For those that have a 4 car garage and plenty of cha ching it’s all good..

If you have a bf cobra that you want anything over buying price good luck because fpv has an assortment of weapons to choose from since then, and now that the blue oval is bringing more performance the old stuff won't go up not for a while, if ever.

Only reason it did was the nostalgia of the badge in 2003 making people think hey I should relive what I couldn't and like wildfire they all jumped on it, but now once again the kids have needs, the wife has needs, the garage needs some further space. Sorry dads, it's just my opinion.

Just enjoy, take them out, you only live once. Like someone said “it’s like a campfire for me and my mates”. He got it all in that sentence

Some previous rides: Ef mont, RX7tt series VI, BM coupes, TE50, BA ghia, BA XR6t

Current rides: G6E blk/Cshmr, Chrysler by Chrysler no.1, Chrysler by Chrysler no.2
Kayos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2013, 10:41 PM   #70
Kayos
Lag = hang onto something

oops posted by error

Some previous rides: Ef mont, RX7tt series VI, BM coupes, TE50, BA ghia, BA XR6t

Current rides: G6E blk/Cshmr, Chrysler by Chrysler no.1, Chrysler by Chrysler no.2
Kayos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2013, 10:51 PM   #71
GTPete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayos View Post
What people ask and what they get are two different things all together, if you have 300+ to throw at a phase III and expect to make a profit good luck those days are done. For those that have a 4 car garage and plenty of cha ching it’s all good..

If you have a bf cobra that you want anything over buying price good luck because fpv has an assortment of weapons to choose from since then, and now that the blue oval is bringing more performance the old stuff won't go up not for a while, if ever.

Only reason it did was the nostalgia of the badge in 2003 making people think hey I should relive what I couldn't and like wildfire they all jumped on it, but now once again the kids have needs, the wife has needs, the garage needs some further space. Sorry dads, it's just my opinion.

Just enjoy, take them out, you only live once. Like someone said “it’s like a campfire for me and my mates”. He got it all in that sentence

Im interested in your theory behind Phase 3's not appreciating past 300k, can you add more to that?
GTPete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #72
jamies

With all the 30 year predications about Fpv's never been collectible.... Can one of you crystal ball gazes tell me next weeks lotto numbers please ?

Much appreciate Jamie.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:58 AM   #73
jamies

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
Not so... Even the old six bangers in good condition are worth what a new Falcon sells for. Why? Because they come from a time that will never ever be repeated in the automotive world. That of wild old school styling and balls to the wall machismo. Something that is sadly lacking in modern offerings. There is absolutely no way that a standard 6 pot EB or current plastic offerings will ever appreciate as much as the old chrome bumpered cars... (unfortunately, I have been known to be wrong before, but I can't see it happening...
This is true but you have to be so careful with buying old classics.. There are so many traps with muscle car sharks cashing in on inexperienced buyers, hidden rust, botched up body's.. Even though six bangers and rusty fairmonts might be asking $20k plus they stay forsale a long time. There's some good examples around but you pay $$$$.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:40 AM   #74
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by neptune blue View Post
Im sorry I disagree it's nothing like what the skunkworks was set up for
What was FPV set up to do then ?
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post