The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-07-2020, 12:02 AM   #1
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Default Re: KIA - Would you buy one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
That's correct in various ways.

But equally It's opinion. Although I'd acknowledge their obvious quality and strengths. I'm sure your AMG is wicked and respect it massively. But I'd buy something else. (not that I can!)

Does that my opinion right? Of course not. Same as the bloke buying a basic Merc who doesn't know a thing about cars.

Good on him, if he's happy who cares. Equally, it doesn't actually mean it was the better choice, rather better for individual tastes and preferences.
I have no problem with the reason why people buy or choose the cars they do and that includes if they buy them just for the badge alone.

Car enthusiasts, the people who frequent these types of Forums are notorious for buying cars without using logic, I fall into that category, I see many cars that make better sense when it comes down to value for money but value for money isn't in my DNA, I buy cars I can afford that I want to own.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2020, 05:45 PM   #2
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
I have no problem with the reason why people buy or choose the cars they do and that includes if they buy them just for the badge alone.

Car enthusiasts, the people who frequent these types of Forums are notorious for buying cars without using logic, I fall into that category, I see many cars that make better sense when it comes down to value for money but value for money isn't in my DNA, I buy cars I can afford that I want to own.
I think you're music terpreting what I'm saying.
Personally I agree with you.

But it seems you are assuming that Kia's can't fall into that category for their buyer's. They might even think identically as not all are cheap anymore.
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2020, 08:49 PM   #3
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:

But it seems you are assuming that Kia's can't fall into that category for their buyer's. They might even think identically as not all are cheap anymore.
Hyundai did it with the N division cars. They have created a product and sub brand that is focused at a particular buyer and are selling it on its merits rather than as a cut price “good value - good warranty” cheapie.

KIA could learn from their sister company and share the learnings. The market right now is hot for small to medium well designed hatches. KIA has gaps here. The Ceed GT isn’t cutting it......and the RIO nameplate well.. shame as the RIO GT looks a ripper but it’s dragging some ugly luggage with that bloodline.
Building more aspirational performance models will help with trickledown to the more mainstream stuff. As it stands, the KIA portfolio is a bit lacking.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2020, 08:49 PM   #4
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:

I don't have a problem with Kia's, they're everywhere and I've seen the SUV's some of my friends have and seen what they've got for their cash and believe they are good value for their money.

I'm also sure there are many car enthusiasts who'd love the idea of owning a Stinger, my problem isn't the badge, it's that I don't like the look of it.

That's just a subjective thing and I don't knock those that see it differently.

My passion for cars has changed focus over the years, I have those core models I still love as in Fords, Holden, GM & Chrysler/Dodge/Valiants from the 60's and 70's but my car taste buds have also evolved in other directions.

I can remember a time when I wouldn't touch a turbo for a million dollars as I was an N/A V8 man through and through where a blower was the only forced induction I'd consider.

That rejection of turbos has definitely changed and you only have to look at what Ford produced with a snail to know why and I now have two twin turbo cars and love them both.

I understand value for money in cars like the Stinger but for me there is an important ingredient in the mix that always makes up the value component and that is the enjoyment I get from the vehicle.

I like fast late model cars that handle well but I love old 70's stuff even though they are now well and truly off the pace but I can grab a spanner or screw driver and a really big hammer and play with them in my shed where my modern cars are just sent off to a professional to sort out for me.

Car enthusiasts all have different reasons as to why they love their cars and what makes good value and value for money for me is being able to touch the car and feel as though a part of me is in there somewhere.

I'm not a person who could have just one car, I'd have to have at least two, one late model car for convenience sake (preferably a performance variant) and one classic era for my kind of fun and both would have to meet certain criteria to be parked in my garage.

I've owned a few AMG's, I got rid of the E63 because it was too big and it was quicker than the smaller C63 I replaced it with and I would have bought the A45 last year as it was quicker than the C63 I bought instead but the A45 was too small.

The value for money for performance was in the A45 but the value for what suited me better was in the C63 and I paid extra for the value.

Last edited by Express; 07-07-2020 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Poor Spelling
6 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2020, 01:19 AM   #5
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:

Lol I'm law trained and can't make near money for an AMG. Tax, maintenance etc.

Falcons yes blah blah way but AMGs like just what?

Wealthy hey.

No wonder KIA no good if milliionare speaking.

Sadly some of us aren't, so we have to be realistic.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:18 PM   #6
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Lol I'm law trained and can't make near money for an AMG. Tax, maintenance etc.

Falcons yes blah blah way but AMGs like just what?

Wealthy hey.

No wonder KIA no good if milliionare speaking.

Sadly some of us aren't, so we have to be realistic.
I don't know what 'law trained' means but if you are saying you're a lawyer then I haven't seen to many poor ones.

2 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2020, 12:25 PM   #7
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
I don't know what 'law trained' means but if you are saying you're a lawyer then I haven't seen to many poor ones.

I don't work as a lawyer anymore.

Just joking with you, I'm jealous of your awesome collection!
This user likes this post: