Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 25-04-2006, 04:48 PM   #1
Craney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 200+kw EL Tickford 6?

Hi,

I really wanted a low kay navy blue 5 litre EL ghia in mint retired guy condition. But after a 9 months of looking and actually missing out on one in Perth (AGONY) and talking in this forum Im now all for finding and modifying a 6. Tickford motors in them no less!? I didn't know that. I did hear that the distributor of the EL is a bit inferior to both the EF and the AU. Is that true, does anyone know?

Anyway, when I get my car I want to get as many steetable and family tolerable Kw's as possible. 200 at the flywheel would be great. And I want to do it without taking the engine out. I've learnt a bit about superchargers in these forums of late and I'm willing to spend the money on one of those and a purpose built exhaust. The car has to sound good so I'd like a twin system. 3 into 2 yeh? I've heard that Ford ECU's are impossible to remap so I'm wondering if there is anything on the market that works like the Power Commander does for bikes. i.e. plugs in after the ECU to allow remapping. And if it's not too huge a job, maybe a cam. But only if its neccessary to realise the full potential of the rest of the mods.

Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers.

Last edited by Craney; 25-04-2006 at 04:51 PM. Reason: missspelt wodr
Craney is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 05:08 PM   #2
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Ok EL has a distributor whereas the EF-AU has a coil pack. 200rwkw wil be easy as from an I6 just go the turbo route, a few guys on here will be able to tell you more about that. ECU wise there is apparantly an edit on the way but apart from that unichip or chip torque for a plug in chip or just go the Wolf3d or motec ecu.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 05:14 PM   #3
Obriza
Banned

To get 200fwkw out of a tickford 6 wouldn’t really take too much to do if you put a supercharger on it, you should get well over 200fwkw, and I would be expecting 180+ rwkw from even a stage one with all the goodies. You could even get 200fwkw out of an N/A car pretty easily, wouldn’t require too much more than an exhaust, extractors, a new chip and some cam work I expect. I am getting over 170fwkw with just exhaust and extractors and they’re not the best either, and that’s badly tuned too apparently I should be getting close to 185fwkw.
Obriza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 06:09 PM   #4
EB Pete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Under the bonnet, trying to keep as clean as above!

how much loss is the in kw's from flywheel to rear wheels through these drivelines? i expect the auto to be worse?
EB Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 06:18 PM   #5
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obriza
I would be expecting 180+ rwkw from even a stage one with all the goodies.

What is a stage 1? :lookedat:
Old 25-04-2006, 06:33 PM   #6
Craney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cheers boys. I can see myself getting a huffer and exhaust. 200rwkw is probably more than I need and reliability and driveability for my enthusiastic and tolerant wife is very important too. I guessing that these two things will yield good results on their own and can be fitted quick I dont know what the drop in power is between the flywheel and rear wheels, but thru the auto its probably considerable. With 200rwkw would it be 50+? which is about 20%?

Any ideas on the exhaust. Would a twin system, 3 into 2 require a tuned length extractor design or ... something else.

Hey Green EL, when you say turbo, you mean as in exhaust driven, yeah? I was thinking just of one of these small superchargers.

Anyway. thanks again
Craney is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 06:38 PM   #7
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

I have a supercharger kit that will suit your application!

200fwkws is easy to get!
Old 25-04-2006, 06:48 PM   #8
2kool4u

Location: I live in my own little world, but it's alright, the people know me here

I thought you were looking for honda owners to sell it to :P
2kool4u is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2006, 09:59 AM   #9
TIKFD6
Number 5 is alive!

200Flywheel is ИИИИ easy, for a naturally aspriated I6.
There are several cars on this forum that are making that sort of power, and are very streetable.

Forced induction is the easy way out.
:P

"Experimental Racer" #6
1994 Gunmetal XG XR6 1997-1999
[B][COLOR=Red] 1994 Le Mans Red ED

Back in a Ford XR. MA XR5 Mondeo

TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2006, 07:13 PM   #10
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB Pete
how much loss is the in kw's from flywheel to rear wheels through these drivelines? i expect the auto to be worse?
As a very general guide a lot of people seem to use 20% manual and 30% manual loss through the driveline, but of course this may vary by a little or a lot between each car.

200kw at the flywheel should be easily done with cam, , chip, exhaust + extractors
200kw at the wheels should be easily done with a forced application
FRDXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post