Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 09-05-2006, 01:43 PM   #31
sven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
Unstable? Unstable = Nitroglycerine, Uranium isotopes, Plutonium isotopes, and any element with an atomic index number greater than 90-ish. A blast of pure o2 would simply heat things up (bad mmkay), or, REALLY heat things up if there's not enough extra fuel being dumped in.

Other than that, yeah, having an o2 bottle go bang would eb much scarier (read: flames) than an n2o bottle go bang, which would result in raging fits of laughter.

Hmm possibly road-rage fix: NOS-Mace! :
AshMan was right with his reasons why they use N2O instead of pure O2. engines blow up when you inject pure oxygen into them. with the petrol as the fuel for the reaction, oxygen reacts violently blowing pistons throught he bonnet ect out:
Old 09-05-2006, 04:39 PM   #32
sven

i should add that its not impossible to use straight O2. the reaction is just extremely hard to control and i exagerated a bit when i said pistons flying throught the boned
Old 09-05-2006, 07:19 PM   #33
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

On the contraryl, it's not actually "unstable". You've just described what I posted, but in a different way. Basically the air/fuel ratio becomes uber lean.

14 parts air --> 1 part fuel is the optimum ratio. But around 13ish parts to 1 is on the safe side.

Now, air contains roughly 21% O2. So if you had 14 parts O2 to 1 part fuel, this would be the equivalent of roughly 75(!!!) parts AIR to 1 part fuel.

Of course, too much air (beyond say 20 parts) will actually snuff out the combustion, as the air "drowns" the fuel. But with pure oxygen, I'm not sure what would happen. I say the excess air would snuff out the combustion because of all the intert compounds, namely N2.

I'm not a chemist though so I may be wrong here.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 07:33 PM   #34
SupahStah
Tha Stah

Either way, thats some good gargan ur spitt'n out there
Soon To Come: |Largish Cam + Chip|
ETA: *When the bank account is ready *
SupahStah is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 12:11 AM   #35
Rollin
Banned

I think he meant 'volatile' rather than 'unstable' guys...

Oxygen by itself is extremely volatile...it tends to explode violently, rather than 'burn', and it is very easy to make it go bang.

So when you put it in an engine, once it sparks the cylinder pressures go through the roof in a very very small space of time, which I believe results in damage to the engine because the piston/rod/crank recieves a 'shock' rather than being pressed down quickly like in a normal combustion event.

I think they mix it in a 33% oxygen 67% Nitrogen ratio to slow the combustion process down a little, and make it slightly safer to work with. I think...
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 12:20 AM   #36
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Ahh ok, "volatile" puts it in a different light ;)

And yes, the N2O is literally a 2:1 ratio of N vs O

The nitrogen also kind of acts as a quencher for the heat output of the oxygen combusting, if I'm not mistaken. Turbo + Intercooler in one, so to speak, lol
Old 10-05-2006, 12:44 AM   #37
Rollin
Banned

I thought nitrogen cooled the intake charge because it is stored as a room temperature liquid, and when it escapes through the nozzle in a nitrous system it expands rapidly into a gas, therefore its temperature goes down, bringing intake temps with it.

(same principle as how an air con system works - compressed gas is squirted through a small orfice and as it expands its tempetature drops significantly, therefore cooling the air flowing past the evaporator...)
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 01:35 PM   #38
AshMan
Girrrrr!!!

double post

Heritage green, isn't that a fence paint?

Last edited by AshMan; 10-05-2006 at 01:51 PM. Reason: double post
AshMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 01:35 PM   #39
AshMan
Girrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin
I think he meant 'volatile' rather than 'unstable' guys...
Thats the word I was searching for

Old 10-05-2006, 02:17 PM   #40
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin
I thought nitrogen cooled the intake charge because it is stored as a room temperature liquid, and when it escapes through the nozzle in a nitrous system it expands rapidly into a gas, therefore its temperature goes down, bringing intake temps with it.

(same principle as how an air con system works - compressed gas is squirted through a small orfice and as it expands its tempetature drops significantly, therefore cooling the air flowing past the evaporator...)
I just can't explain stuff properly! (regarding temp drop) I had the right idea about it but explained it in an -about way :

Like when I tell someone to turn "left", when in reality I mean "the other left" (right).
Old 10-05-2006, 03:42 PM   #41
sven

back to the point does anybody think this would actually work.. i believe that it would cause way too much damage to be practical and i dont think it would work.

also does anyone else find it funny that we have gone into a full on chemistry conversation about all this
Old 11-05-2006, 10:04 AM   #42
AshMan
Girrrrr!!!

someone give me $8 for a can of freeze spray and I'll try it on the missus' car