Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-07-2016, 07:27 PM   #3121
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: who amongst us have gone solar

Just had a look at the old inverter today. We should clock over 10000kW/h once we start getting a bit more sunshine. Most likely sometime over summer.
That's from our little 1.5kW system over the last 4 years.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
This user likes this post:
Old 15-07-2016, 09:23 AM   #3122
Rs31markie

Hi, has anyone used these micro invertors? And if so did they give you any trouble, going to get solar, but had several salespeople round, but just get the feeling they're not being entirely truthful. I want a system that in a few years time I can add batteries, as I'm sure the cost of these will come down.
Rs31markie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2016, 09:37 AM   #3123
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Recently had a 5.2kw system fitted, split over east/west of the shed.
Fronius 3 phase inverter, Trina panels.
$8345, complete with meter changeover.
Haven't had bill yet, but meter reader showed up the other day.
2 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2016, 01:08 PM   #3124
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rs31markie View Post
Hi, has anyone used these micro invertors? And if so did they give you any trouble, going to get solar, but had several salespeople round, but just get the feeling they're not being entirely truthful. I want a system that in a few years time I can add batteries, as I'm sure the cost of these will come down.

I have enphase microinverters - one per panel (310)

They are great - you can see power per panel - meaning that you can compare to your usage and then figure out which way you want any new panels to face.

With single inverter system, it is "one out all out" with microinverters, it is one out one out !! - great if you have shade - but even of value if you do not.

I have a two story home now, and need to optimise my roof space - not possible with a 1 or 2 string system.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2016, 07:56 AM   #3125
Myluckyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
yep and they wonder why were interested in solar to help keep our costs down then they rort us on the feed in tariffs

wonder how the battery storage prices are going these days am always thinking getting completely out of the control of the power suppliers
The ABC's Science program Catalyst looked that the issue earlier this year.

Here is the link to the program ... http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/4398364.htm
Myluckyday is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2016, 08:08 AM   #3126
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myluckyday View Post
The ABC's Science program Catalyst looked that the issue earlier this year.

Here is the link to the program ... http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/4398364.htm
That was a great episode on solar & battery technology.
Old 17-07-2016, 12:02 PM   #3127
Mowdit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG
I have enphase microinverters - one per panel (310)

They are great - you can see power per panel - meaning that you can compare to your usage and then figure out which way you want any new panels to face.

With single inverter system, it is "one out all out" with microinverters, it is one out one out !! - great if you have shade - but even of value if you do not.

I have a two story home now, and need to optimise my roof space - not possible with a 1 or 2 string system.
We have a Tindo 5kw Micro Inverter system, paid too much, but it is largely due to having the system installed over 4 different roof area's directions (4 panels face SW) $14,000 in Nov 2013

Am in South Sydney currently, household of 4.5, Solar hot water, pool pump, several big TV's and air cond, in the last 12 months we have exported 15-20% more than we have imported due to night time usage

There are more advantages to the Micro inverter system, BUT "negotiate" any system you choose to buy, get several prices from different companies to compare, ensure you have/supplied a plan/layout for the panels (as the salesman says one thing and the installers DO whatever is easiest for them, beware of additional costs (some do not include the cost of the smart meter).
If the finished job doesn't look professional then question it, if not happy delay the final payment and have it independently checked (mine was completely rewired !)
Saves me approx. $2,400pa
Old 17-07-2016, 06:46 PM   #3128
Rs31markie

Thanks, had two quotes one for 9.45kw the big lg panels but only a 5kw inverter which doesn't make sense to me, that was $13k, the second quote was again for 9.45kw lg panels again, but this time with micro inverters and this was $20k which is too much. I'm in FNQ. Not really sure what to do next, the advantage of the micro system is I can just add batteries but on the other system I need another inverter.
Rs31markie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2016, 02:46 AM   #3129
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thanks, had two quotes one for 9.45kw the big lg panels but only a 5kw inverter which doesn't make sense to me, that was $13k, the second quote was again for 9.45kw lg panels again, but this time with micro inverters and this was $20k which is too much. I'm in FNQ. Not really sure what to do next, the advantage of the micro system is I can just add batteries but on the other system I need another inverter.
I will start the ball rolling on this one. I myself have a 6.1 system with a 5kw inverter, a system rarely works at its full capacity. I have never seen mine over about 5.2kw and that has only been in short bursts on optimal days. I have no idea what happens to any extra over the 5kw produced but it is probably wasted or AGL gets it for free as I doubt AGL would be paying me for it.
My system is about 4.5years old now and it had to be approved by Energex and I was told I wouldn't get it approved if it was too much over the 5kw. What have the installers said to you? Can I ask some other questions like why such a big system, have you hunted around for the best FIT? I think it is very low now but prices for solar have come down now and one wipes out the other. Do you really need the m/p's, do u have shade over your panels or panels on different roof areas? I am really lucky as I have all 27 panels on one roofspace and they face North with no shade at all. Good luck with it.
Old 20-07-2016, 08:08 PM   #3130
CJR09
RPO 77

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
I will start the ball rolling on this one. I myself have a 6.1 system with a 5kw inverter, a system rarely works at its full capacity. I have never seen mine over about 5.2kw and that has only been in short bursts on optimal days. I have no idea what happens to any extra over the 5kw produced but it is probably wasted or AGL gets it for free as I doubt AGL would be paying me for it.
My system is about 4.5years old now and it had to be approved by Energex and I was told I wouldn't get it approved if it was too much over the 5kw. What have the installers said to you? Can I ask some other questions like why such a big system, have you hunted around for the best FIT? I think it is very low now but prices for solar have come down now and one wipes out the other. Do you really need the m/p's, do u have shade over your panels or panels on different roof areas? I am really lucky as I have all 27 panels on one roofspace and they face North with no shade at all. Good luck with it.

You can over-clock inverters generally to the tune of about 10% - this depends on inverter quality mostly and will be listed in the specs of the manufacturer

reasons for doing this is generally to make up for inadequacies in system design - orientation, insolation, shading etc

The most I have seen go into a 5kw inverter is 7kw - you can theoretically have more than this but it needs engineering around it to determine exact solar irradiation absorption which as mentioned above is determined by orientation and insolation etc

a system should be designed to meet daytime usage - 20k buys you ALOT of power

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2016, 07:18 AM   #3131
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well i signed up for one big switch as they are also looking to get a better feed in rate from the power companies............worth a try and cost nothing
Old 26-07-2016, 10:58 AM   #3132
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenl5l View Post
Well i signed up for one big switch as they are also looking to get a better feed in rate from the power companies............worth a try and cost nothing
I had a hard look at those...but they couldn't get down to what I am charged by Lumo and their POT discount % off was only off the usage charges, not the entire bill.

however having said that I'm still studying their two tiered charging system and FIT, I'm sick of the major players constantly jacking up the cost of power just because it's a new year.

solar input is down to about 8 KW ($4.00) per day now, I hate winter.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2016, 06:52 PM   #3133
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJR09 View Post
You can over-clock inverters generally to the tune of about 10% - this depends on inverter quality mostly and will be listed in the specs of the manufacturer

reasons for doing this is generally to make up for inadequacies in system design - orientation, insolation, shading etc

The most I have seen go into a 5kw inverter is 7kw - you can theoretically have more than this but it needs engineering around it to determine exact solar irradiation absorption which as mentioned above is determined by orientation and insolation etc

a system should be designed to meet daytime usage - 20k buys you ALOT of power
Hmm. I've got a Power One (Aurora) 1.5k inverter which is/was supposedly the bees knees. Just checked the sticker and it says maximum continuous output @40°C ambient is 2000w.

Could I add a couple more panels?
Currently have 8x190w I think. Panels are BP Solar.

EDIT: Best I see going in is ~1kw.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.

Last edited by Mercury Bullet; 26-07-2016 at 07:08 PM.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2016, 12:33 AM   #3134
Mooka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Hmm. I've got a Power One (Aurora) 1.5k inverter which is/was supposedly the bees knees. Just checked the sticker and it says maximum continuous output @40°C ambient is 2000w.

Could I add a couple more panels?
Currently have 8x190w I think. Panels are BP Solar.

EDIT: Best I see going in is ~1kw.
You can load it up to 2600w, you will have a hard time finding matching model # panels.
Mooka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2016, 11:19 AM   #3135
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooka View Post
You can load it up to 2600w, you will have a hard time finding matching model # panels.
yes.... as stated the panels must have the identical output and preferably matching in all other aspects as well but I can't see any problem, we have done it here.

if you have a P.V.S.E.G. agreement with your energy supplier for your initial sizing I'm not sure how you would go if they found out you had increased it, I know they don't like it.

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
2 users like this post:
Old 28-07-2016, 02:56 PM   #3136
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cheers Poppa.

I might ring the company who installed it, they might have some old ones lying around.
Currently mine is pointless, I'm lucky if I get $20 off my bill.

XC Cobra #181.
Old 28-07-2016, 03:14 PM   #3137
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Cheers Poppa.

I might ring the company who installed it, they might have some old ones lying around.
Currently mine is pointless, I'm lucky if I get $20 off my bill.
no worries mate.....but you must also take into account the amount it is providing direct to the household when calculating the effectiveness of solar......you may just find it is reducing your account quite a bit by supplying direct to use.

2 users like this post:
Old 28-07-2016, 04:15 PM   #3138
josh1990
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Has anyone here used EuroSolar? Buying our first house and their prices are attaractive <$4K for 5KW). Good/Bad/Staythe****away? https://www.eurosolar.com.au/
Old 28-07-2016, 04:59 PM   #3139
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh1990 View Post
Has anyone here used EuroSolar? Buying our first house and their prices are attaractive <$4K for 5KW). Good/Bad/Staythe****away? https://www.eurosolar.com.au/
I found this a useful resource when I was investigating different solar suppliers. May be of some assistance to you too.....

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-07-2016, 05:39 PM   #3140
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
thats about right for 5 KW.....the thing is to make sure they are good quality panels and a decent inverter, do a bit of research on the systems, Josh has a good starter site, many more out there, they should carry a 25 year written performance guarantee.

Old 28-07-2016, 05:48 PM   #3141
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's a good site.

The only recommendation I could give is get the best inverter you can afford.
I've heard of so many problems with Chinese gear. Mine is Power One (Italian) and has been faultless for 10 years and still going strong.
They aren't cheap though, mine was about 5 grand back in the day.

XC Cobra #181.
Old 28-07-2016, 06:30 PM   #3142
josh1990
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobimbo View Post
I found this a useful resource when I was investigating different solar suppliers. May be of some assistance to you too.....
https://www.solarquotes.com.au/insta...ew/euro-solar/

Thanks, I'll steer well clear
Old 29-07-2016, 07:57 AM   #3143
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I used them good service and installation i highly recommend them( mind you it was about 3 years ago )

Last edited by davenl5l; 29-07-2016 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Addition
davenl5l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2016, 10:08 AM   #3144
prydey
Rob

I have a cheap Chinese system purchased and installed through true value solar. It is covered by the same performance based warranties as all the so called big brands so that was enough for me. I purchased on price basically.

Over 3 years on and it has been faultless. It's only a 3.8kw system as that's all i could afford at the time ($6.5k) but in another 18 months i should recoup the costs. I only have 16c fit + 8c from agl. It covers my usage in summer and halves my usage in winter.

True value get a fair bit of bad press but 90% of that is due to some poor installations pre 2011. Either way, I've never been one to take too much notice of online reviews. You can never vouch for their authenticity and most people only take the time to review of they are having issues so negative reviews are nearly always over represented.

SA has the highest electricity rates in the country, with solar customers paying more. The whole ' system' is a joke.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2016, 10:38 AM   #3145
josh1990
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenl5l View Post
I used them good service and installation i highly recommend them( mind you it was about 3 years ago )
Mate from what I've recently read on Facebook and the above site, plus other sources since I've posted here I wish you luck that you stay happy with them. I was seriously considering the 5kw system for $3641 but I've been completely put off. They were also fined by the ACCC for being lying ****** and using ching panels when marketed as Aussie panels. Their early inverters have a tendency to go bang etc. I'm going to spend a bit extra and go with a reputable company if we do go the solar route.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:37 AM   #3146
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.afr.com/business/energy/e...0160804-gqlll1

be interesting to see how the power is fed back into the grid from these 7KW systems, whether AGL will run it through the meter, thereby paying the tariff to the producer, or whether it will bypass the meter and all monies directed into AGL's pockets.

either way I want a couple of them.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:04 AM   #3147
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What's it about Poppa?
It's one of those 'you have to subscribe if...' pages.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2016, 12:41 PM   #3148
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

oh okay....it opened straight up for me without subscription, but I'll post the whole thing for you

AGL Energy to harness power of 1000 batteries in 'virtual power plant'
AGL is to create a 'virtual power plant' from 1000 solar power-fed batteries in South Australia.
by Angela Macdonald-Smith Simon Evans

AGL Energy is to set up what it says will be the world's largest "virtual power plant", using 1000 connected storage batteries installed in homes and businesses in South Australia which will feed off solar panels on rooftops to ease bottlenecks on the grid and help reduce price spikes.

The Sunverge storage batteries would normally cost $16,000 if acquired outside of the special project, but householders will be able to buy them for just $3500 under the heavily-subsidised program.

AGL will pump in $9 million to the project, while there is also $5 million in federal government funding for the $20 million demonstration project, which will provide participants with discounted batteries supplied by AGL's partner Sunverge.

The solar-powered batteries that make up the power plant will be able to store seven megawatt-hours of energy, with output equivalent to a five megawatt solar plant. The project is intended to help customers manage their energy bills while at the same time contributing to the stability of the grid.

AGL managing director Andy Vesey said the project would soon be expanded to include other suppliers of storage batteries, but Sunverge had been chosen initially because it fitted the technical and quality requirements of the ground-breaking program which he labelled the largest of its type in the world.

"It's agnostic," Mr Vesey said about the eventual plan to let other battery providers in. "The benefits for us in time will be to get as many providers in as we can," he said.

A similar project in New York is preparing to do a similar trial, but with only 300 households.

He said the project would demonstrate alternative ways to manage peaks in energy demand, contributing to grid stability and supporting the higher penetration of intermittent, renewable generation on the grid. He was speaking in Adelaide at the launch of the project. The South Australian capital is at the heart of the state's energy crisis.

South Australian Treasurer Tom Koutsantonis told reporters in Adelaide that battery storage was a game-changer.

"This is the equivalent of rainwater tanks for electricity," Mr Koutsantonis said. "This gives us the ability to turn a dumb grid into a smart grid."

Mr Vesey said households were likely to save the equivalent of about $500 a year off their energy bills by participating in the program.

Some $5 million of the project costs will be provided by the taxpayer-funded Australian Renewable Energy Agency, subject to conditions, while Sunverge is contributing $1.5 million through their technology contribution.

Experts in the industry have been forecasting that the concept of a "virtual power plant" would soon hit Australia's shares in the wake of pilot projects overseas, including a 300-battery one announced in June by New York-based Consolidated Edison, Mr Vesey's first employer.

The concept underscores the value of staying connected to the grid so households can send surplus power generated by their solar panels and stored in batteries back into the grid when needed.

ARENA head Ivor Frischknecht said the government wanted to encourage others in the private sector to also consider how they could use renewable energy technology to deliver electricity "around-the-clock" in South Australia, where the intermittent nature of wind generation has underscored the volatility of wholesale power prices.

He said the project could point to solutions to the "challenges" in South Australia's grid and reduce the risk of power shocks. It could also help ease constraints in the grid, displace expensive gas-fired power and add capacity to complement the interconnector with Victoria during peak demand periods.

The batteries are to be rolled out in three phases over 18 months, with the whole demonstration project lasting five years. It would enable better understanding on where value is created from such a system, for grid and transmission companies, for consumers, for suppliers and others. That would help inform public policy and regulators on how to put in place measures to share out those benefits equitably, Mr Vesey said.

I hope I've done it right!

4 users like this post:
Old 06-08-2016, 02:19 PM   #3149
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for that Poppa - it opened for half a second for me and then said subscribe.

So it's going to cost $3500 to save, by their reckoning about $500 a year...
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2016, 04:10 PM   #3150
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thats assuming they do the correct thing and run it through the meter, thereby paying us for the power supplied to grid.

they may choose to wire it before the meter and run it direct to grid and not pay us for the power taken.

it would potentially save a lot more than $500 per year if used correctly, in a household that only uses an average of 10 kilowatts per day it may save a lot.

the question is how is it to be used, in the end I am a bit sceptical in that it will benefit AGL more than the poor bloody consumer.

but I would love to be proven wrong.