Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 12:37 PM   #31
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Scratches are all part of life buddy. So are accidental damage. I have a car to enjoy. I drive it where I please. I like it when I park the 182 right out the front. I enjoy driving it to work, with Climate Control on listening to CDs and having the Xenons blazing. I feel safe. What happens if some OTHER idiot smashes right into you? I can tell you now, I'd rather be in the Polo GTI, than the Pulsar.

And that's me. I like my daily driver to have the safety, style, fuel economy (1L more/100kms than the Fiesta!... where I drive) and power that suits me. The Clio has NEVER given me any problems keeping up to traffic. Torque and power are already above class standards.

1 year, and 30,000kms later - and I still love my car.

Scratches and dents etc - they come with part of the ownership. They can also be fixed. I enjoy getting to work in the Clio. I can tell you now, if I got to work in a Pulsar I don't think I'd be there for long. Definitely wouldn't look good along side BMW 5 Series, Audi TT 2.0T DSG, Benz M Class etc. I can tell you now they all drive their classy cars and definitely don't buy cheaper cars to be seen in.

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 06-04-2007, 12:41 PM   #32
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by murcod
Yes, they stand out. But if you're young why not have a car like that?
And that's just it - To me the XR4 stands out. It looks great, very european and UN ricer. If you wanted ricer, you'd get a Colt Ralliart.

Funny you should mention 'ricer'. When I leave my night classes at uni, all I see in Haymarket are Polo GTIs!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 06-04-2007, 12:45 PM   #33
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Im soo happy that you are enjoying your car Teki, Always good to hear.

Im very much enjoying my GTI too.

As we can clearly tell, car image matters in your job. From what i remember trainee real estate right?

I sell cars, i arrive at work at about 7.50am and dont leave till usually about 6.15- 6.30 pm.

I work hard for my money, and im rewarded as such.
In an effort to keep my property looking good i bought a second car to go to work in. to leave it out in the elements all day. Because at the end of the day, in my job position it doesnt matter what you drive to work in, just aslong as you get to work and keep selling alot of cars.

But yes steven, i agree if it werent for your car there would definately be nothing for your bosses to be keeping you there for........
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
Old 06-04-2007, 12:52 PM   #34
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by murcod

It's a pity they don't have any acceleration figures for their Polo GTi test, but suffice to say ALL of those figures are quicker than the Golf GTi....
http://www.mynrma.com.au/cps/rde/xch...car_review.htm
http://www.mynrma.com.au/cps/rde/xch...768EC-D8C0524C

Thats for the previous GTI golf, which was overweight and had a lower tuned version of the motor in the GTI polo.

yes the old golf was slow your point being?
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
Old 06-04-2007, 01:25 PM   #35
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Rofl i love this teehee. Steffo ware are you.

Okay. i have a Fiesta Big whooop. my job doesnt require me to drive an expensive car to work nor does it mean that it doesnt matter what i drive. next year im up for a new car as this one may have to go. to tell you the truth ill buy what ever my heart desirs. weather it be a 182 clio(possibly - and yes i may have seen the light as danny, teki and steffo are trying to convert many) XR5T or just keep the Fez. the car that i buy i will drive to and from work regardless of how much i payed for it. i buy a car to Drive it. not so that i sits in the garage accumulating dust as i may only take it out for an hour a week. i can understand a limited edition car or something worth it. but seriously a POLO gti. there are so many. it wont be worth it in the future. if thats how you like to keep your cars thats great for you. all i can say is that you should of bought something more worthy and something that would be more worth it in the end.
i drive my car like any other person. normally. when it requires a thrashing it gets one. no big deal.

My fez has scratches, ding marks and paint chips all over it. big woop. im not having a cry. as teki said and my father said to me it comes part of owning a car. and youll get more and more as life goes on.

XR4 is a great car. id love to have one. but i cant justify spending 27 or so $$ on a fez . ive got one and personally to me its not enough of a change to get me to buy one. a polo gti would be nice as well, Clio 182 cup would be awesum, an XR5 as well. but at the end of the day for me will be what i can afford. and it will most likely be second hand as well. unless of course i buy the clio 197 sport cup. tehee. but who knows.

Damo...its your choice. you make it. you like the XR4 then get it.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:38 PM   #36
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_lx
Thats for the previous GTI golf, which was overweight and had a lower tuned version of the motor in the GTI polo.

yes the old golf was slow your point being?
you must have missed my point- it was in the first line of what I wrote.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:29 PM   #37
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Personally I don't see the point in keeping your pride and joy in a garage, ive spend good money on my car and want to be able to enjoy it. Having said that mine only comes out on friday and saturday nights to get to and from work as I walk to uni.

Sorry to hear your car got keyed Mitch but these things unfortunatly happen and buying a 2nd car because of it is a bit of a overreaction. My friend just bought a new Subaru Liberty GT Spec B as his 1st car and on the 2nd day some chemical spilt onto his bonnet meaning the whole thing had to be replaced but **** happens.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:00 PM   #38
0xyg3n

I can see this is going to end up like every other similar topic. It's no use relying on what other people say or think. Unless you try them all yourself. There is no way of telling which one you like the best.

Its like me telling teki that he should start wearing girls pink undies cos I recon they are more comfortable and dont ride up my *** crack as much as guys boxer shorts.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:16 PM   #39
darkcloud

Haha, this thread is interesting, different ppl on different styles of ownership.

Well to get back on topic, i jus read an issue of Car and Driver (Hong Kong edition so i cant really just type wat it says...) but they tested the suzuki swift sport, polo gti and Fiesta ST. The main focus was young people buying their first car....Well i don't really remember what it said, il giv more info after i revisit it but this is the main bits i remeber:

Swift: Great car, fun to drive and all that...... said centre of gravity was high but it bites into corners well. said there is enough torque even at 4000rpm to overtake people..... more info later!!

GTI: said it was a good car, well built but a few sqeaks and rattles. said the suspension was a bit too soft, takes a while to recompose itself over bumps. said it has that classic 1980's style of european hot hatch, as in not much power but well built and fun. Suited to mature type drivers as its not as fun in the twisties as the swift and ST

ST: said ford knows that cars dont have to have big power outputs to be enjoyable, and so ford but a modest 2L engine with a modest output. the handling is out of this world, though they did say that the 17" alloys ruin the handling compared to the 16". It has enough space for a young guy and is fun to drive.... again more info later cos i dont really remember

ANYWAY go for whichever car you like MISTA FIESTA cos you're gona be driving it, not all the other people trying to answer your question.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:31 PM   #40
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Default Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
''i can understand a limited edition car or something worth it. but seriously a POLO gti. there are so many. it wont be worth it in the future. if thats how you like to keep your cars thats great for you. all i can say is that you should of bought something more worthy and something that would be more worth it in the end.''

Define worthy?

Unlike yourself i saved every single penny in order to buy my GTI. I own it 100% I think thats reason enough to call it worthy, wouldnt you?

''My fez has scratches, ding marks and paint chips all over it. big woop. im not having a cry.''

Do you see me having a cry?
I think not, i simply mentioned that the keying was a catalyst which set in motion an idea i had for quite some time.

That idea, to buy a shitty car to run around in.

I earnt every single dollar to buy my GTI, i didnt rely on loans, finance companies etc.
So the fact that you have the nerve to tell me to buy something more ''worthy'' leaves me the hard task of finding appropriate words to describe what im feeling right now reading your childish and frankly ZERO idea comments.

I guess the next thing i will be critisized on is by me mentioning i didnt have to get a loan for my car... ''stop boasting mitch''
Not boasting, i just work my *** off. 8am-6.30pm 11 days straight. Then three days ''off''. On These off days im usually found in the office organising customer deliveries and organising appointments.

Something earnt holds much more value than something given.

I havent put other owners down for driving the *** off their car. Some drive more than others. Some LIKE putting as many kms on their car as possible.

I like preserving things i like. Owning a pulsar as a second car gives me the opportunity to hop in my GTI a couple times a week and enjoy it on an incredible level.

So i fail to realise why im being attacked here

: : : : :

Loads of fun :
Old 06-04-2007, 11:44 PM   #41
b2tf
not here much anymore

is this about who works the most/hardest or about choosing a car?

:togo:
Old 06-04-2007, 11:46 PM   #42
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Default upgrade

this has now unfortunately changed to me defending myself from a pack of ******* and having to justify the car i bought and why i have decided to take it out of daily commission.

Loads of fun :
Old 06-04-2007, 11:53 PM   #43
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
this has now unfortunately changed to me defending myself from a pack of ******* and having to justify the car i bought and why i have decided to take it out of daily commission.
no it hasnt, its just been clogged up with OT BS.

Back to the issue at hand (and lets stay there). It has been a fair while since I was in a small car but I have owned a Focus and driven in a few Fiestas. Never been in a VW but would never say no to a Golf GTI or R32.

Where I am (country NSW), ask most people and they couldnt tell you what a Polo GTI was. There are plenty of Golfs around, mostly diesels, but in terms of small cars, Fiesta and Getz are the rulers around here. Yes there is a VW dealership here but there are literally 2 Golf GTI's in town and thats about as close as you get to having VW performance models.

Personally Id choose the Fiesta simply because I am familiar with them as a product and as a car. One of the main reasons I got rid of my Focus was the fact that I couldnt easily access parts/mods etc for it, I know that would be different in the city but in terms of numbers, Fiestas would easily outweigh VW's and for that reason you would find it easier to get parts etc (IMHO anyway).
Old 07-04-2007, 12:17 AM   #44
bru20vt

Some of you guys need to grow up - the Clio is a great little car with a responsive engine and chassis. The Polo GTI has all the trademarks of a VW.

The choice here is between the XR4 and the Polo GTI. Test them back to back and then make your choice. For someone who doesn't like stripes (yes I am an old fart) the white one above looks neat. Pity the interior looks like my LX apart from the seats.

If your someone who will crave more power down the track you are going to be better off with the Polo GTI. There are many tuners who have modified the 1.8T with great results, more importantly these tuners - APR, GIAC, MTM and Oettinger to name a few have representation in Aust. As little as $1500 will get you upgraded to 150Kw. I suspect driveability and feul economy will be better due to the abundant and flat torque curve. Yes I know about the 1.8T as I have this engine in a Passat. I also have a Fiesta.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:27 AM   #45
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
: : : : :
Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
if thats how you like to keep your cars thats great for you
ease up dude. jeez. since when did stating opinions become attacking...jezzuz.

Old 07-04-2007, 01:04 AM   #46
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nice decision Damo. I'd be saving up for one after I save enough for an end of year trip. Unlike last time, I'll save instead of taking out another loan.

At the end of the day it's what brings a smile to your face.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:13 AM   #47
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bru20vt
the Clio ... a responsive engine
There you go Mitch - THIS is why I wasn't happy about your post.

The question was about the XR4 and Polo GTI - so I think you need to expect that not EVERYONE will love the Polo GTI. In my posts the word 'Clio' was never mentioned. Yet you went ahead and called it Sluggish?! OHHHHHh wait, but that's your opinion, isn't it?

Well, my opinion is that cars are bought to be driven. Don't like it, tough? I don't go putting on Kms for the sake of it - that's just stupid. I just enjoy driving it. It's been to Wollongong countless times, Central coast once and also out to Warren (um, 1,500km round trip). I enjoy driving it. It sees the Royal National Park sometimes too. I guess I have a feeling rushing through me when driving it - maybe it's emotion? Either way, I'm driving it for the fun factor. I would like to get what I paid for. $2,000 at resale won't bother me for the fun and memories I will keep for the future. Again, MY opinion.

I also believe your not the only one here to be working hard. I work FULL time, and STUDY full time. I only get Sunday's off. So, that's two days off every two weeks. I do believe that's working hard too. Oh, but when you factor in that these 'days' off are spent doing assignments and homework - well look at that, NO days off.

But again, why should we ALWAYS have to justify our opinions?

So here goes;

Damo, get the Fiesta XR4 because;

- It's cheap (new vs new)
- Customer Service - you have one already, so it can't get worse, can it?
- Insurance; Have you got a quote yet? I know my Clio is cheaper then a Fiesta Zetec... not sure the XR4 will be though.
- Quality. It's actually German built (Did someone mention, Spanish built, German owned?). I never had a fault with the Fiesta, and I believe you haven't either. That's already something to go by - Reliability!
- Looks great. Standard 17s, over the Polo's 16s... plus that nice looking bodykit and rear spoiler
- The ride. So far reports are great, unlike the crashy and boomy Polo GTI (apparently it is stiffly sprung)
- Naturally Aspirited, so it's fun to rev it ;)

Last edited by Teki04; 07-04-2007 at 03:19 AM.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:38 AM   #48
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Well first off, thanks for all who have commented either in a constructive or not manner, but it has greatly made me see different persepectives of the hatches xr4, polo and clio[i was also concidering a 172/182] and the peoples who drive them.

Unfortunatley, my financial situation is in my opinion more strenuous and restrictive than most who have commented (im not saying i am special or anything). I respect those who have paid and worked hard for what they have, as i do too, but still need help of others to get by. I will be saving my butt off for the xr4 purchase anlong with paying off 2 investment properties but i know i will still need help.

Anyways check out this link for a comparison of fiesta ST Vs 5 Door Polo GTi. http://www.ford.co.za/servlet/BlobServer?blobtable=DFYBlob&blobheader=applicatio n%2Fpdf&blobwhere=1163396875873&blobcol=urlblob&bl obkey=id&blobheadername1=Content-Disposition&blobheadervalue1=attachment; filename%3DPolo vs Fiesta comparativetest.pdf]CLICKY[/URL]
It is a pretty good read/comparision with in reason,(5 door polo) but the fiesta came up on top only one ahead of the polo. So there is no justification to say either is better than the other on paper. It comes down to personal preference.

This preference for me is the XR4 because i have always wanted one. FULL STOP.

Other Reasons for decision:

1. Yes it probabaly isnt in the same level as luxury and comfort as the polo but it wins on the looks department, which is what i am concerned about. The overall performance etc is a bonus. Though the polo has great mechanicals its doesnt stand a chance against the xr4 for looks in my opinion.

2. Brother will probably keep the Polo. So i will have the best of both worlds. We can swap on weekends.

3. Fiesta is something i know and love. Going from an auto to a sporty manual is a big leap for me. I can finally feel what its like to **** my pants. Watching YouTube videos has shown me what it can do and i like everything about it.

Though ford have a weak customer service department, they havent stuffed me around or anything so i have confidence in them.

4. I havent looked into insurance as yet but even if it is alittle more (will have car under my own name) i dont mind.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:41 PM   #49
bman

I have givien this more thought and have somthing i wish to raise....also as I am trying to decide over an XR4 or XR5 (currently own a 06 Fez Zetec)

I have spoken with a friend of mine who owns a 206 GTI and he is the one that raised this with me. I asked him what he thought about upgrading from my current Fez to an XR4 or XR5.......

My mate questioned the nature of the upgrade.....what is it you are upgrading too? You already own a Fez and yes while the XR4 is different in many ways it is still the same model with a few bells and whistles plus the standard focus engine with minor mods. This struck a cord with me as i found myself in a similar predicament a few months ago.

I am a road cyclist, racing for Parramatta cycling club. I love the sport and spend many thousands of dollars on it. I bought a $5000 bike in 2005. Awesome bit of kit in every way. In 2006 when the new model (from the same manufacturer) was released i just had to have it and sold my bike and bought the new model. Come 2007 i did it again but this time it occured to me that had i have waited an extra year and upgraded my 2005 bike for the 2007 model it would have given me a better value for money upgrade. as a result I have made a promise to myself about my next bike which wont happen until 2009 at least. I want a serious upgrade next time....not just a new paint job and nicer wheels and handlebars.

Back to the cars, and i have decided to adopt the same mentality.....i love my Fez and i wouldnt change anything about it. The XR4 looks hot!! even if she aint that quick. But I feel that we as current Fez owners (2003-2006 models) will be greatly dissapointed if we trade up to the XR4......

The reviews in the UK are starting to say that the ST is starting to show it's age......Ford know this....but thay are bringing the XR4 out to OZ anyway. I bet Ford international will be bringing out a new model of Fiesta shorty (and i dont mean WP-WQ light change/body kit change) I mean a totaly new design. They are due.

In life, do we want to take half steps??? Do we even want to take one step at a time?? S*it no!!! I want to take TWO STEPS AT A TIME MAN!!! I want a decent upgrade for my $$$. I will not be buying an XR4 because I will be dissapointed in the end. Had i not owned an Fez....Yes i would have bought an XR4.....but i do own a FEZ and i dont want a 2lt, racing striped, leather interior, improved suspension version of the same car....When i upgrade....i will be UPgrading....not SIDEgrading!

XR5 for me!

MISTA FIESTA...think about this carefully!
Old 07-04-2007, 06:55 PM   #50
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

bman is on the ball there!

You then have to also think - does anything on offer at the moment below $30K constitute enough of an upgrade from a Fiesta Zetec?

Afterall, they are extremely capable handling cars with excellent chassis response and a willing engine (albeit not that quick...).

Something to definitely think about. Maybe wait till 2008 and get an XR5T? Or later this year, and get a used XR5T?

Old 07-04-2007, 07:16 PM   #51
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Bman does have a realistic point, and am taking it into account, but if the price is right i will go XR4 all the way regardless. I cannot afford a XR5 unfortunatley but i do see a good argument in a better bang for buck car if i lay 25-30g down.

If XR4 does get pushed aside, i probably wont look at a polo unless 26g drive away. Only other options would be a 2nd hand clio either 172 or 182 but besides a great powerful engine and chassis i aint to fond of its interior size and styling.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:42 PM   #52
bman

Great! In that case i think this post is done and we can all stop beating our chests!

- 17 x Ford Falcon XT BF - Within my Fleet -
- 4 x Ford Falcon XR6 BF - Within my Fleet -
- 110 x Mitsubishi Express - Within my Fleet -
- 2 x Hyundai iLoad - Within my Fleet -
Old 07-04-2007, 08:42 PM   #53
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You've hit the nail on the head bman! Top quality post!
Old 17-04-2007, 05:08 PM   #54
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Just a heads up. I am finally gonna be learning manual this weekend in preperation for the XR4 test drive. Im a bit excited as i will get to test out the polo gti, but im 110% dedicated to XR4.
Old 17-04-2007, 05:38 PM   #55
JayD

When are these XR4's gonna arrive in dealers? I wouldn't mind a closer look (drive even) after seeing the one at the Melb motor show, but haven't yet seen one in the flesh so to speak.
Old 17-04-2007, 05:40 PM   #56
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's no definite release date yet. Feels like Ford Aus is half-arsing the release of the Fiesta XR4. But the dealers say something about mid May release.
Old 18-04-2007, 03:42 PM   #57
bman

Parramatta Ford will have one in the showroom in 3 weeks

Old 18-04-2007, 03:43 PM   #58
bman

Sinclare Ford 2 weeks

Old 18-04-2007, 05:34 PM   #59
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ooo, I'm excite.
Old 18-04-2007, 05:38 PM   #60
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Well thats not too far away then. In regards to price, some are saying between 26g -30g on road. They would need to compete with the Polo's new drive away price.
Closed Thread