Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 09:30 AM   #1
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Default Upgrade: Polo Gti vs Fiesta XR4

Howdy,

Between September 07 - December 07, I will be looking to upgrade from the Fiesta Zetec to either a Polo GTi or XR4, but am really un decided which one is right for me. I like both of them in different ways. Here are my thoughts on each.

Polo Gti -

Negative - Not as stylish looking as XR4 exterior wise.

Positive - Great roomy interior (Full leather + Sunroof as options), 110kws that can be beefed up to 150kws for a simple 2.5grand. Awesome exhaust note, Very chuckable in twisties. Love the acceleration and torque. Feels like a more grown up car. Will hold its value in 3 years

Fiesta XR4 -

Negative - Not easily modable compared to Polo. No full leather option. Interior is a very similar to the regular fiestas. Not a fan of thin multispoke wheels. People will percieve it as a boy racer car. Waiting list.

Positive - Looks more aggressive. Pulls more G's on twisties, apparently handles alot better. Better choice of colours and stripes as option.
Sounds awesome on the Youtube videos. WIll be more exclusive as not many available in the first few months.

There is more things to take into account with each, but here is the kicker.

My brother is looking to sell his Polo Gti (upgrading his family and polo would be useless and he already has his toy) and offered it to me for a bargain (with in reason). Now i was the one who introduced him to Polo Gti as i always wanted one way before the XR4 was confirmed for AUS. But prior to that i said "if the XR4 comes to AUS i would get it no matter what".

So my question is would you take the Polo Gti knowing
A) you can get it for a cheaper price
B) you can mod it for the same price a XR4 on road would cost you.
C) Its better bang for buck in the long run.

Obviously taking each for a test drive will close the deal, but theoretically which would you take and why...

Cheers

Damo

Old 04-04-2007, 10:07 AM   #2
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

I should have added.

At the end of the day, i want something to get to a to b, but still have fun on the weekends. 110kws is more than enough for me, so modding it for more power isnt a asap move i want to take, but still have it as a future option.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:20 AM   #3
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some of us had this conversation the other night. Do I still need to add what I think here in this thread?
Old 04-04-2007, 10:25 AM   #4
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives
Some of us had this conversation the other night. Do I still need to add what I think here in this thread?
Totally up to you. Just trying to get as many opinions. But if i recall you said XR4??

I would much prefer the XR4 for its exclusivity, but the Polo seems like an offer i would be an idiot to refuse.

Last edited by MISTA FIESTA; 04-04-2007 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:27 AM   #5
photn
AFF Post NAZI

im in same boat as ivan. but reading that damo you have essetially answered your own question.
Quote:
So my question is would you take the Polo Gti knowing
A) you can get it for a cheaper price
B) you can mod it for the same price a XR4 on road would cost you.
C) Its better bang for buck in the long run.
i think if you had a choice of buying one brand new, id personally take the fiesta. but if i was being given one cheaper and you know it has been treated well and its been in the family, not to mention the possibility of paying a mojority of it upfront and paying the rest off later without interest that you would have with a new car.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:56 AM   #6
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Its up to you really. Personally id go the XR4 for the reason I said before on MSN. I doubt the XR4 will have any resale issues with only a few coming in each year.

Really its up to which one youd rather be stuck in traffic with.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:34 AM   #7
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Well id rather be stuck in the XR4. Its too yummi. Um if i was looking to mod what kind of kilowatts would i expect for say 2.5g?
Old 04-04-2007, 11:36 AM   #8
photn
AFF Post NAZI

150+ ish.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:40 AM   #9
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
150+ ish.
Hmm ok i doubt 150kws would be possible for 2.5g. I was thinking like 130 max.

Hopfully one of the site sponsers will have something up there sleeves when it hits the road.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:32 PM   #10
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

1500 will get you a full stainless exhuast
You already have a K&N apollo
Milltek claim a 21hp increase with an K&N
900 for a bluefin with a 10hp claim

You might get more who knows. But mid 130kw is plenty for a FWD
Old 04-04-2007, 02:41 PM   #11
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Im pretty confident on my decision after reading peoples replies and MSN chatter. Should hopefully be able to put the wheels in motion soon and get in in the driveway asap.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:09 PM   #12
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Hey Damo,

I'd go for the XR4! It looks better in my opinion, and is such a great and rewarding car to drive. I wouldn't want to modify suspension components (costly if you go with the good brands, which you would do if you were spending that money on such a car!) as you would void your warranty. Hence, the chassis and suspension tuning in the XR4 seem to be raved on about in all the reviews I read.

Plus, revving the rings out of a naturally aspirated car is sooooo much fun, especially on the twisty roads on the weekends. I believe it would be far more rewarding...

As mentioned though, go out there and test drive the XR4 when it arrives! Can your brother wait till then?

Good luck with the upgrade! Finally you will be out of the Auto Fiesta ;)

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 04-04-2007, 03:37 PM   #13
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Hey Damo,

I'd go for the XR4! It looks better in my opinion, and is such a great and rewarding car to drive. I wouldn't want to modify suspension components (costly if you go with the good brands, which you would do if you were spending that money on such a car!) as you would void your warranty. Hence, the chassis and suspension tuning in the XR4 seem to be raved on about in all the reviews I read.

Plus, revving the rings out of a naturally aspirated car is sooooo much fun, especially on the twisty roads on the weekends. I believe it would be far more rewarding...

As mentioned though, go out there and test drive the XR4 when it arrives! Can your brother wait till then?

Good luck with the upgrade! Finally you will be out of the Auto Fiesta ;)
Yeah the bro can wait thats not a problem. But yeah my mind is set on the XR4 110% but will make the final decision once both can be test drived.

So can i now no longer be the but of all Auto jokes?
Old 04-04-2007, 04:26 PM   #14
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Test drive them both and see which one you like the best. Thats the best way to find out if you like it or not

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
Old 05-04-2007, 01:04 AM   #15
Danny
GT4.

Damo, I'd go the XR4. Handling, looks, it sheets on the Poler Gti.

As Pie said, 130 is enough for a small 1000kg Fwd car... Thats what mine is, and its ample for now..
Old 05-04-2007, 01:12 AM   #16
Fast VRX

I'd go the polo, it would be more effortless around town due to having more torque, VW make good cars and they are so feature packed for the price and they look better in my opinion, for Fiesta looks underdone sort of thing.

Old 05-04-2007, 08:13 AM   #17
bman

up to you man, but when i drive to work every morning, i see alot (and i mean heaps) of GTI's.......they are a very popular car.......and for that reason i will probably stick with an XR4 or XR5 as there are less sold.....but the GTI does have great looks
Old 05-04-2007, 08:40 AM   #18
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

My decison is made up. XR4 all the way. Going to a few dealerships on the weekend to investigate trade in and stuff, potential price etc.. and book in test drive.

I agree the Polo is an awesome bang for buck package, (saw about 5 yesterday on lancove road) but the XR4 will be more exclusive and seriously is sexy looking plus i cant stop thinking about it. Ive waited 2 years for it, aint gonna back down.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:28 AM   #19
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman
up to you man, but when i drive to work every morning, i see alot (and i mean heaps) of GTI's.......they are a very popular car.......and for that reason i will probably stick with an XR4 or XR5 as there are less sold.....but the GTI does have great looks
So true.

I like being different...

Damo,

Just met with a really good looking female client of mine - She drives a Fiesta LX and LOVED my car. Hell, she said she loves the Fiesta so much, and can't understand why it is so cheap!

She also said, if you can upgrade - then why not do it?!

XR4 is a better Hot Hatch package in my opinion. Polo GTI may have more features, but it's not really that fun. Sure, great for around town - but then, are you buying a Hot Hatch to be comfortable, or to be fun?

GO FOR IT!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 05-04-2007, 11:28 AM   #20
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Sure, great for around town - but then, are you buying a Hot Hatch to be comfortable, or to be fun? GO FOR IT!
More after fun and giggles than comfort... I can live with the XR4 interior but not the Polo Gti exterior.

White with Blue stripes is locked in.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO = 1000th Post.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:21 AM   #21
Danny
GT4.

Nice, good to see everyone moving up a notch in the hot hatch world. You've made the right descision Damo.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:03 AM   #22
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Morning everyone,

Hope you are all looking foward to a few well earnt days off work.
Take care out on the roads, double demerits etc.

With car choice, you will get a slightly biased opinion being on a ford forum.

But as some have validly raised, it is a personal choice.

When i bought my car i honestly would not have bought the XR4 if it had already been released.
I wanted something different to what i had been driving. I was over the girls car comments and a few other things with the fiesta.

I have always loved VW's. My GTI looks grown up and classy. I didnt want something which looked boy racer or try hardish. In my honest opinion i feel that is the category in which the XR4 lies.

I was slightly over sluggish NA cars, even the 182 was sluggish down low. Fair enough the point has been raised that at low rpm it has more torque than the fiesta. BUT it felt sluggish untill about 4 grand.

Everyones driving style is incredibly different. Mine basically is just going A to B in the city to and from work. Sometimes in heavy traffic. Then on occasion a few traffic light GP's and then home via a few twisty bits.

For me the VW is perfect, It's effortless to drive, smooth, quiet, comfortable, extremely torquey with very fast acceleration, handles very well but like everycar, you have to know how to drive it to get the best out of it.

Damo, i hope you make the right choice, which for me meant the GTI
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
Old 06-04-2007, 10:27 AM   #23
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_lx
I wanted something different to what i had been driving. I was over the girls car comments and a few other things with the fiesta.
Oh look, a Polo! Does it come in a Men's?

Old 06-04-2007, 10:57 AM   #24
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

ohh look a polo :P at least it wont fall apart :P
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
Old 06-04-2007, 11:06 AM   #25
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
That joke didn't quite work. Sorry dude.

Plus, it's been fine for a while now!

Torque is more than ample for me. I almost certainly remember EVERYONE saying the Fiesta had ample torque. So, to think the Clio delivers it @ 2,000rpm, not 4,000 should be more than adequate. Plus, you must be the first person to ever be in a 182 and call it 'sluggish'. I was all for a car with low down torque, but yet high end power. Still, achieves great bang for bucks with a 0-100km/h that most cars of $30,000 only dream of.

I dunno how you can say you drive the Polo during the week. Tell them what you REALLY drive _2:

Old 06-04-2007, 11:17 AM   #26
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Teki, why did i buy the polo?????

ill tell you why, to drive it to and from work through the city.

Some inconsiderate ******* decided a couple weeks ago to run a key down the side of my car.

So i sent my car away to a really good panel shop. Now i do what 95% of other people do from my work group.

I bought a shithouse car to use to go to and from work. A grand bought me a wholesale nissan pulsar with 230,000 kms. White, small alloys, tinted windows. All in all its a pretty tidy car.

So that means i can drive the pulsar to work, park it in the sun all day and not have to be worried about my nice car being damaged.

My car sits locked up in the garage at home. Then when i get home from work if i want to go for a drive i can.

Or when i get every second weekend off ill drive it then.

So whats the point of your argument?

Loads of fun :
Old 06-04-2007, 11:21 AM   #27
Danny
GT4.

30 grand to drive a Sh!tbox pulsar everyday! YEAAAH! ;)
Old 06-04-2007, 11:25 AM   #28
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

See different people enjoy their cars in different ways.

Danny, Teki you two enjoy driving the **** out of your cars.

I enjoy keeping mine clean, shiny and also to keep the kms low. Thats just how i enjoy my car.

The car is going on 6 months old and it only has 4,600 kms just the way i like it.

Loads of fun :
Old 06-04-2007, 11:27 AM   #29
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

ohh and the pulsar is GREAT to take to the shops, park it right out the front, who gives a **** if someone scratches it.

Loads of fun :
Old 06-04-2007, 11:34 AM   #30
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What is this - a childcare centre?

Quote:
I was slightly over sluggish NA cars, even the 182 was sluggish down low.
Well, the NRMA would tend to disagree:
Quote:
One of the nice things about the Clio Renault sport's engine is that it doesn't need to be revved hard to provide satisfying performance. From around 2500 rpm upwards, the engine responds strongly and it pulls eagerly and seamlessly all the way into its higher rev ranges.

What this means is that you don't need to be swapping ratios constantly and more time can be spent in the higher gears, thus saving fuel and providing more relaxed driving.

However, drivers who want to stir the Renault sportalong will be rewarded with acceleration that's on a par with the recently released Mini Cooper S and better than larger engined coupes such as the V6 Hyundai Tiburon.

Acceleration - Test results
50 - 80km/h 4.2 sec (in 3rd)
60 - 100km/h 5.3 sec (in 3rd)
0 - 80km/h 5.8 sec
0 - 100km/h 8.3
It's a pity they don't have any acceleration figures for their Polo GTi test, but suffice to say ALL of those figures are quicker than the Golf GTi....
http://www.mynrma.com.au/cps/rde/xch...car_review.htm
http://www.mynrma.com.au/cps/rde/xch...768EC-D8C0524C

Some pics I took of the XR4 that was doing the motorshow rounds:

Yes, they stand out. But if you're young why not have a car like that?