Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 14-07-2009, 09:47 AM   #91
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EG30
great to have a contact in Ford Europe Rapid Typhoon
With my big mouth I don't think I'll have one for much longer! I think I already bore the poor bastard with questions already.

Quote:
May be your contact could give us some inside info on future models such as the Fiesta ST/XR4 release date instead of the official NO word.
There will be a new ST Fiesta. Unlike the previous gen though, they will launch it with the facelifted version in about two years. I can't really reveal much, as I don't know much, but goodbye 2.0L engine (thanks in part to Europes insurance brackets and fuel economy).

Quote:
How close is Ford offerings of small sized (1.2-1.6L) turbo petrol engines and mass release of their dual clutch automated manual box rather than only very selected models to date.
Full steam ahead with the EcoBoost as far as I know. Not sure of the size of the engines they are working on. The Duel-Clutch will be ready to go with the US Fiesta, no word yet on local Fiestas adopting this. There are "issues" with the Thai factory/Fiesta/Mazda2. Say no more.
Old 14-07-2009, 03:17 PM   #92
Fiesta Girl

Candyman2,

Seems like you might have a hybrid of the Australian and UK Zetec. If you check Ford's UK site http://www.ford.co.uk/Cars/NewFiesta...specifications
you'll see their Zetec misses out on somethings we have in ours. e.g. Did you get Cruise Control (unlikely you'd not notice that missing) and map pockets on the back of the front seats (probably wouldn't miss them if you didn't know they were supposed to be there)? The UK Zetec gets rear passenger lighting (did they think in Australia we don't need it?) but I couldn't see mention of the glovebox light (too trivial?).

While I'm on the subject of "missing out", stopped by an Autotrimmers on the way home yesterday to get some idea what it would cost to professionally match and install carpet to the back of the rear seats and the section missing under the inside rear hatch lock. The autotrimmer couldn't believe what he was seeing and kept asking were we sure the whole model line were missing it too. :>)
He thought about $160 to fix both areas. He was confident the edge could be tucked down into the surrounding area where the seat fabric ends to give it a professional (read...like it was meant to be installed in the factory) look.
Fiesta Girl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 05:46 PM   #93
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I really don't see the issue here with some lack of carpet? I thought I was trivial with my car not having certain things, but some extra carpet on the back seat and hidden behind the lower end of the boot? Look I'm OCD extreme, but I think too many people here are comparing the Fiesta to a bigger more expensive car. Which in rights isn't unrealistic as people are downsizing, but you can't go from a $40,000 car to a $20,000 car and not expect some cost cutting. C'mon, really it's just some carpet.
Old 14-07-2009, 06:10 PM   #94
Fiesta Girl

Question - Name one other vehicle currently on the market with painted steel backing on its folding rear seats? Maybe that thing in India which they're going to sell for $3000.

We are talking about Zetec's here, which (in Australia) are "top of the range". I presume the UK Titanium model is also sans carpeted backing. A quick dollar/pound conversion indicates its about about $29,000AUS +tax+on-road. Even my uber-cheap 97 Hyundai Excel was fully lined in the back.

In any case, it wasn't like I didn't know it wasn't there (except for the bit at the rear of the boot). I was just commenting on what I was doing to correct it. Thread topic is after all, "Whats to like/dislike........ _
Fiesta Girl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 06:58 PM   #95
Zetec Dave

All I can say is every has a right to their own opinions and different things may bug certain people due to difference in expectations, level of OCD or degree of retentiveness hence the relevance to and heading of this thread LOL. Personally, it does itch me on the back of my mind but doesn't really bother me as such with the carpet issue. Of course it would be nice to have it carpeted since it risks scratching from cargo hence may result in unsightly lines/marks but the other features of the Fiesta more than make up for its shortfalls. Personally I'm quite OCD myself and it doesn't help with being a psych nurse but other cars priced in this immediate range generally do have full carpeting. However in saying that, I think we should all just enjoy the Fiesta for what it is cause I rekon its a bargain of a car for what we get and there's no other car in its price range that offer the kind of comfort, handling and features that the Fiesta has. Hence, I'll drink to that. :
Zetec Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 10:48 PM   #96
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta Girl
Name one other vehicle currently on the market with painted steel backing on its folding rear seats? Maybe that thing in India which they're going to sell for $3000.
That would be the Tata Nano. If it annoys you that much I'm sure you could cover the boot in dash mats or something? At least that would be relativly cheap.
Old 15-07-2009, 01:04 AM   #97
EG30

the lack of carpet back of rear beaver panel doesnt bother me one bit, as one member wisely said you have to be locked inside the boot to see it.

and the seat backs I would prefer it to be carpeted, but since it's black and a hard wearing power coated surface instead of body colour paint it's fine. Sure it will scuff somewhat but you wont notice it and unless you manage to scrape it down to bare metal it wont rust either.

Just noticed the other day, the steering wheel is only leather trimmed on the sides and not the top and the bottom lol. Only cars I've seen with such setup are those with wood/suede/carbon capping for the top and bottom bits. The plastic bits steel feels fine just like the fully rubber/plastic wheel on base models it's the shape and thickness of the rim which makes the car feels just so right.

instead of giving us trims and finishings consistently mediocre across the board due to budget constrains of a cheap car, they have decided to spend the $ on the important touchy feely bits such as the dash top, instruments, central stack, stalks etc and skimp on the bottom part of the dash, rear dome light, rear brakes,trims and paint in non crucial areas. The WS is definately one of the stand out bargains on the market at the moment, if it was $2-3K more it would still sell well.

may be they'll add more of those missing stuff when they start building them at the Thai factory next year where it's much cheaper to build than in Germany and our free trade agreement with them; or give us the same spec at a few K less like when the Jazz started coming from Thailand.
EG30 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 05:52 AM   #98
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One of the things I like about the Fiesta is that it's not carrying around useless crap like carpet in places carpet has no right to be. If I was building it, there would be no carpet on the floor either, waste of space and chemicals if you ask me . The less dead weight you have to carry in a car the better the car is
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 10:44 AM   #99
macou

macou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 05:47 PM   #100
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman2
Ours also has a glovebox light which I don't think the other Zetec's have.
Have you been able to take a few snaps of these lights? I've looked on the net for interior photos of the rear-passengers light but with no success. Interested in seeing the glovebox light too, as the dash lights seem to be on all models, just with no bulbs. Perhaps mine just needs a bulb? I know it's a pain to upload two measly pictures, but would be great for the rest of us to see if possible. Thanks in advance.
Old 15-07-2009, 06:33 PM   #101
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Only have a square TUIT at the moment (and the car aint here)
Candyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 07:12 PM   #102
EG30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidTyphoon
Have you been able to take a few snaps of these lights? I've looked on the net for interior photos of the rear-passengers light but with no success. Interested in seeing the glovebox light too, as the dash lights seem to be on all models, just with no bulbs. Perhaps mine just needs a bulb? I know it's a pain to upload two measly pictures, but would be great for the rest of us to see if possible. Thanks in advance.
I can see a cutout slot where the glovebox light/switch might go, perhaps we could enquire at the parts department if their spare parts database shows that part even though the aust models dont suppose come with that part.
EG30 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2009, 03:44 PM   #103
msnealo
Zetec with 17's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman2
Ours also has a glovebox light which I don't think the other Zetec's have.

Might have to start looking for more things it might have that seem to be unique.

Weird
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidTyphoon
Any chance of few minutes of your time this weekend for these pics please.
msnealo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2009, 10:58 PM   #104
BruceT

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta Girl
Candyman2,

Seems like you might have a hybrid of the Australian and UK Zetec. If you check Ford's UK site http://www.ford.co.uk/Cars/NewFiesta...specifications
you'll see their Zetec misses out on somethings we have in ours. e.g. Did you get Cruise Control (unlikely you'd not notice that missing) and map pockets on the back of the front seats (probably wouldn't miss them if you didn't know they were supposed to be there)? The UK Zetec gets rear passenger lighting (did they think in Australia we don't need it?) but I couldn't see mention of the glovebox light (too trivial?).
Looking at the UK I'm quite impressed with what we do get in a $24,000 drive away car. The stand-outs for me are the cruise control, the blue-tooth wireless phone connection, voice control and the USB jack. These are missing on the Mazda 2 and all but top-spec UK cars.

I'm amazed at the number of models and options available in the UK.

It's basically a cheap car -built to a price for a volume market - but the Zetec has so many nice features (including a fantastic driving experience), that I sometimes feel spoilt.

Yes the cheap plastic lower trims, painted backs of the rear seats and a few other niggles give away its origins, but mostly I just love it!
BruceT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 07:22 PM   #105
Fi.ES.TA

I did some major suburbia driving today 1st time in 4,500 klm's of highway driving (before i get flamed i still love the car) but for christ sake 1st and 2nd gear there so short they may aswell not be there so annoying it was frustrating.
Fi.ES.TA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 09:54 PM   #106
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And another gear wouldn't go astray! First gear is quite low, so I'd imagine traffic jams would be quite fun! I'm lucky I live four km away from work, two sets of lights and a few turns. Plus Toowoomba is not Brisbane thank Christ.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:19 AM   #107
BruceT

Definitely need a sixth gear. Probably my biggest gripe.
BruceT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2009, 11:38 AM   #108
msnealo
Zetec with 17's

Not a really a dislike but why do the steering wheel buttons for the radio seek down(left button) or up (right button) intead of moving up or down through the presets? I mean after you programme the stations I don't think I'll ever use those buttons again. To go from present 2 to preset 1 you have to push the "m" button 9 times or reach across to the dash and press "1" which negates the reason for having buttons on the steering wheel.

And another idea would be to have another small push button on the steering wheel's left side that when pushed changes the buttons on the left hand side from their current configuration to that of the selector menu selector on the dash so that you can make changes through the menu system etc.
msnealo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post