Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 18-02-2009, 09:37 PM   #1
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Default I got Zetec too :)

Picked the Fiesta up a few hours ago.

Very impressed with the predelivery. I'm about the paint and I spent a lot of time checking the paint in the sun panel by panel in every direction I could. The sales guy was more than happy

Found two small watermarks only and just happened to have some Boost with me and they both came off easily, so only surface marks.

No swirls at all, and I checked carefully. I did find a few light marks from where they had put the rear plate on but they will come out easy with 106FF.

They kept to their word and applied no product so it will get a sealer and then an LSP later in the week.

The interior was also spotless except for the glovebox that had some light dust in it from factory - you know the stuff. Wipe down with 303 Aerospace and all good.

Wheels are spotless. Tyres lightly dressed

Top marks to the dealer. I did prewarn them though.

OK, the car. It delivers heaps for what it is. Corners exceptionally well. In fact, crisper than the GTI and flatter. Seriously.

Power is there but I expect it to come on stronger as the km's go on.

Gear change is simply brilliant. A little long in the throw but not bad at all.

The engine is a lot of fun in the 3-4,000 rpm range.

Brakes are not bad, not up to the GTI ofcourse but good for the car. Have yet to really test them or the EBD/ABS. Clearly, not yet tested the traction control/ESP either.

Road noise is OK, certainly quieter than the daughters Mazda but not like the GTI at all. Still, I guess I could improve that if I wanted to.

The audio unit and voice control is superb. Full Ipod control by voice and onscreen. Flawless.

Paired all of our phones and accepted all the contacts via voice into it's directory.

Womens voice is well done - no strong accent at all.

I gotta say though, I do appreciate the quality of the interior of the GTI after sitting in and driving the Fiesta. I would liken the Fiesta interior to my Forester. Not bad but certainly you can feel the price tag.

Will take it up to Bathurst this weekend maybe and might give a longer review.

Candyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2009, 09:43 PM   #2
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you can get a highway fuel usage reading on yours that would be good, just want to check if ours is normal or if it's using a bit too much
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2009, 10:19 PM   #3
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam
If you can get a highway fuel usage reading on yours that would be good, just want to check if ours is normal or if it's using a bit too much
Will do mate

Taking it to work tomorrow so will be city driving.

A trip to Bathurst should deliver some freeway km's

Not worried if it uses a bit more than expected from new - all cars I've had from new did that and just keep getting better with more km's
Old 18-02-2009, 11:05 PM   #4
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

I'd also suggest restting the fuel use gauge (hold the stalk in until it clears).
Old 18-02-2009, 11:46 PM   #5
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep we've been doing that. Can't get it under about 5.6 on a steady cruise yet but it is slowly getting better (has 1000ks on it now)
Old 19-02-2009, 12:14 AM   #6
ANGEL#3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the short write up Candyman2, It give the rest of us a good insight to what we're in for and what to expect of the new fiesta. Hope you enjoy the car mate.
ANGEL#3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2009, 10:24 AM   #7
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

OK, couple of glaring faults

1. Rear view mirrors are set too far back limiting the range of the mirrors. Not too bad but they miss out a bit

2. Power windows buttons set too far back as well - means you have to either have shortish arms(wifey) or reach back to get at them

3. Voice control not always accurate - will take some time to set up and use.

4. Annoying damn rattle already right above my ear in the B pillar

Anyway, not bad

Greenfoam - what is wrong with 5.6 ?
Old 19-02-2009, 10:46 AM   #8
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

I'll drop our first photos into this thread and will get more of the car incl the interior this weekend.

Old 19-02-2009, 03:27 PM   #9
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman2
OK, couple of glaring faults

1. Rear view mirrors are set too far back limiting the range of the mirrors. Not too bad but they miss out a bit

2. Power windows buttons set too far back as well - means you have to either have shortish arms(wifey) or reach back to get at them

3. Voice control not always accurate - will take some time to set up and use.

4. Annoying damn rattle already right above my ear in the B pillar

Anyway, not bad

Greenfoam - what is wrong with 5.6 ?
Nothing wrong with 5.6 except its supposed to do 4.9 , even one of the reviewers made 5.05 in Australia on a long highway cruise. I haven't noticed anything wrong with the mirrors but I don't live where theres any traffic so rarely use mirrors, no rattles that I've noticed (then again my car is one big rattle so I might not notice) The voice recognition works perfect for me bit wonky for my wife but she's got a bit of a non English accent
Old 19-02-2009, 05:24 PM   #10
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

1,000 km is way too early IMO to worry about fuel economy.

Also, what RON rating are using ?

As for the mirrors, correct set up is to put your head against the side window and set the mirror so you can just see the edge of the car - this ensures no blind spots as the center rear view mirror picks up the middle bit.

Oh and the rear view mirrors are a must for all driving, not just city.

Quite impressed with the handling on the Zetec. Seems noticebaly better than the LX demos we drove
Old 20-02-2009, 12:46 AM   #11
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I never drove the LX but I read something on the net about Ford saying the Zetec suspension was too hard for our roads so they were going with the stock springs for Australia. Doesn't seem to have happened tho? not if they are different it hasn't. Also do you have both rear fog lamps working? I'm guessing both are supposed to but my wifes only has one working since new. Fuel economy has improved to 5.6 with headlight lights on tonight so it's still getting better. Using 95 octane <
Old 20-02-2009, 03:01 AM   #12
bdesigns
Joy Ride

Hey Greenfoam,

so i finnally got my Fiesta today.. and just a quick answer to ur rear foglight question, mine only has one working as well, but i think that was intended. I havent seen any cars that have two rear foglights plus i heard it can be illegal if you turn on the rear foglight on a non foggy day.
bdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2009, 08:11 AM   #13
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

Stated fuel economy is a bit optimistic. I've never got 6.6L/100km even using 98 octane for 6 months. Does run better on it though.
WQ has 2 rear foglights, not that I've ever needed them.
Old 20-02-2009, 09:41 AM   #14
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Yep, WS is only meant to have one rear fog - it is regulation - the outer side.

We got 5.7 l/100km on a trip to the Blue Mountain last night (over 300 km)

Car has done 400km now
Old 20-02-2009, 10:19 AM   #15
Jess85

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdesigns
plus i heard it can be illegal if you turn on the rear foglight on a non foggy day.
its illegal to have any foglights on when its not foggy- know people who have been fined

i would love to trade our xr4 in for new zetec but not too sure yet
bf said they havent sold many new fiestas at his work
Jess85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2009, 10:35 AM   #16
Tobey
BF Ute...

mm you bought it from Thompson ford. I cant say that i recommend their service department....
Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2009, 10:53 AM   #17
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Not using Thomson Ford's service department, only bought the car from the dealership.

Mind you, have had a company car serviced there and never had a problem.

I guess it can sometimes come down to who you deal with ....
Old 20-02-2009, 01:42 PM   #18
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam
Nothing wrong with 5.6 except its supposed to do 4.9 , even one of the reviewers made 5.05 in Australia on a long highway cruise.
I wouldn't complain about getting 5.6 ... Nice!

My XR4 is stuck on 9.4 and Ford claim 7.4 per 100km for that car!
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2009, 05:03 PM   #19
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjh80
I wouldn't complain about getting 5.6 ... Nice!

My XR4 is stuck on 9.4 and Ford claim 7.4 per 100km for that car!
Ive been getting 8.4 in my XR4 on average in a medium traffic commute, couple of 80 zones on the way too. I don't feel so bad when I realise I get the same range out of a tank as I do in my XF which packs an 80L long range tank :

WP Fiestas only had one foglight too. In fact, the other side was the reversing light so I copped a lot of "hey buddy, you got a light out" when I had my WP LX.
Old 20-02-2009, 08:47 PM   #20
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Have already added something aftermarket

Dynamat has gone in ....
Old 21-02-2009, 10:52 AM   #21
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Tint is now on too
Old 21-02-2009, 10:53 AM   #22
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Oh and the Ipod interface cable has been built
Old 22-02-2009, 08:33 PM   #23
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

I gotta say folks, this car just keeps on impressing me no end.

Yes, only had it a few days but it is just an absolute pleasure to drive and with just a few hundred km's on it, we can alreayd feel the power/torque improving.

Cruise control works great and the car has enough grunt to pass in 5th without the need to drop down a gear.

I was not expecting it to impress me this much, certainly not for the money we paid.

Apart from the few faults I mentioned earlier, it is what I would call the perfect 2nd car.

Hope to continues to impress me.
Old 22-02-2009, 09:19 PM   #24
ANGEL#3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Awesome stuff, are you bedding the engine in or just driving it as normal giving it a little bit here and there. Glad you’re happy with the car candyman2.
Can't wait for ours to turn up.

BB
ANGEL#3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 09:34 PM   #25
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

Driving it as normal but avoiding making it struggle and going too high in the revs (keeping it under 4,500-5,000 for now).

Interesting that the manual and dealer (plus info from a couple of mates in the UK that own them) do not suggest any break in period at all.
Old 23-02-2009, 03:18 AM   #26
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been staying to 4000 couple trips to 4500. I decided to leave any full revs action till after the first oil change. Agree that's it's a very fine car , (perfect second car that ends up being used more than your main car). I still can't get over how nicely the gearbox works, puts a smile on your face everytime it jumps into gear
Old 06-03-2009, 06:58 PM   #27
Candyman2
Zetec 09 5 DR in Vision

For those yet to buy one of the new Fiesta's, I thought this brief overview might help.

Just in my short time with the car so far.

Summary would be

1. Handles exceptionally well - really surprised me how well.
2. Good power/torque from the 1.6 petrol. Getting better with every km
3. Highly specced versus the competition (safety, controls, tech gadgets)
4. Seemingly well built although I have noticed some minor issues.
5. Awesome looks versus the competition
6. Unique, for now, on the road. Not many about.
7. Voice activation and Ipod functions are awesome.
8. Paint is high quality

Now for the bad bits

9. The driving position is not the best it could be because....

Gearstick throw is too long and the gearstick itself is too far forward. Not by much but enough to impact the driving comfort a little.

The power window controls are located too far back making it awkward to use them. Similarly, the rear view side mirrors are set too far back meaning you can not set them at their optimum setting.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:03 AM   #28
pitpal
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey guys , my girlfriend is currently waiting to pick up her new zetec in black, in the manual. We are both excited and are pleased with all the positive feedback on here. Apparantly the last black one in vic and we njust scraped in before the 3% rise

FOR SALE oil catch cans and cats back exhaust to suit BA|F GT. PM FOR MORE INFO
pitpal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2009, 04:06 AM   #29
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Last Zetec I guess rather than just the last black one? On the car sales website there no Zetecs listed in VIC or NSW? there's about 10 in total in the country listed there. Pretty much all in WA/SA/QLD and there was only one in black. Tons of CL autos all around the country and a fair few LX's but only the 10 or less Zetecs left. They must have got it a bit wrong with how many people they thought would want the Zetec. I read somewhere 50% of sales are the Zetecs.

Candyman I don't feel the shifter is too far forward, do you have long legs and sort arms??. Gearstick throw seems short and very positive to me but I guess it depends on what you have driven beforehand
Old 08-03-2009, 12:43 PM   #30
oldsoftboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitpal
Hey guys , my girlfriend is currently waiting to pick up her new zetec in black, in the manual. We are both excited and are pleased with all the positive feedback on here. Apparantly the last black one in vic and we njust scraped in before the 3% rise
3% price rise and you have to wait 3 or 4 months?? They are going to loose heaps of sales. We have started to reconsider our intention to by one of these and are looking around at other options.

Mazda 2 - no cruise control option
Mazda 3 - mid range model has most stuff, but blue tooth phone connection is extra
Subaru Impreza RX - has the lot, but also comes with a fair price hike.

Dave
oldsoftboss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post