Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 01-11-2007, 05:49 PM   #1
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default LPG mechanics

I've been on the waiting list for a gas research kit for 3 months now and booked the date in and now they've rung me telling me I gotta wait longer for the parts.

He has no idea how much longer either.

Main thing is this guy didn't even give a and was mumbling the whole time on the phone.

So know I gotta scrape my bank account again for more money on petrol.

This may seem a stretch but is there anything legally I can do???

A date was planned and now because of this I gotta fork out on more petrol.

What If I also had borrowed the 2 grand now it just seems ridiculous.

3 months should be enough, Not the first dodgy mechanic I've heard of either.

What should I do?

Old 01-11-2007, 05:58 PM   #2
BLKPHN
ORSM FORD CRUSIERS

I think in a situation like this you are better to ring up a solisitor as any info you are going to get from here regarding the legalitys is going to be mostly just Bull$%^.

If you are really concerned don't drive your car, as it seams it needs a few little thing to get it running right anyways. take public transport save you cash as these Gas research kit are really the top stuff when it comes to gas conversions.

Also not that i im having a go but consider you audience before you post most people on here are car nut's not really legaly qualifyed, maybe you need to talk to others first before asking here, as you may not get the reaction you are looking for. or the correct way to go about it.

Tristan

Strive for perfection in everything we do. Take the best that exists and make it better.
When it does not exist, design it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough.

-[BLKPHN] (VIC) PLATES FOR SALE $495.00-
BLKPHN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2007, 06:03 PM   #3
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks mate.

Just ****es me off how many dodgy mechanics there are in the trade, only good ones I've been to were G&D I might give them a call.

The reason I cant afford to fix my car is cause I get $90 a week and $85 of that goes on petrol.

I planned to get the paintwork fixed too but looks like that'll have to wait even longer.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:05 PM   #4
BLKPHN
ORSM FORD CRUSIERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR
Thanks mate.

Just ****es me off how many dodgy mechanics there are in the trade, only good ones I've been to were G&D I might give them a call.

The reason I cant afford to fix my car is cause I get $90 a week and $85 of that goes on petrol.

I planned to get the paintwork fixed too but looks like that'll have to wait even longer.

Good luck with it all mate, Maybe its best to get publis transport for a while you can then save some money for some mods as well!!

Strive for perfection in everything we do. Take the best that exists and make it better.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:13 PM   #5
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Never worried all sorted.

Getting an impco version done on the same day by G&D whom I just rang then.

He's gonna put a bigger mixer on it and he reckons he can probably tune it better than this other dude with the gas research.

It'll probably be around 4100 less too.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:21 PM   #6
BLKPHN
ORSM FORD CRUSIERS

Quote:
Never worried all sorted.

Getting an impco version done on the same day by G&D whom I just rang then.

He's gonna put a bigger mixer on it and he reckons he can probably tune it better than this other dude with the gas research.

It'll probably be around 4100 less too.
Well done mate who said you needed others advise... and surporting a sponsor of the forums.

Old 01-11-2007, 07:09 PM   #7
ECOJET

impco ??? hasnt gas research always shat on them as far as a gas conversion goes... gas research have 9-10 second cars and the runs on the board, havent seen impco cars with the same
(not being bias, just what im assuming as ive never heard a impco system being superior to GR)
Old 01-11-2007, 07:18 PM   #8
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECOJET
impco ??? hasnt gas research always shat on them as far as a gas conversion goes... gas research have 9-10 second cars and the runs on the board, havent seen impco cars with the same
IMO ILLaViTaR wont have a 9-10 second car so its not really going to matter how much better Gas research is compared to Impco at the end of the day as long as it works

In any case why were you going to Gas Reseach?

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2007, 07:23 PM   #9
bentles
Banned

Quote:
(not being bias, just what im assuming as ive never heard a impco system being superior to GR)
I'd say G&D tuning impco would yield better results than some hack job backyarder tuning GRA.

good to see you got to the bottom of this illavitar.
bentles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2007, 07:30 PM   #10
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentls
I'd say G&D tuning impco would yield better results than some hack job backyarder tuning GRA.

good to see you got to the bottom of this illavitar.
Yep thanks all.

Nah no way this'll be a 10 second car not even 12. Perhaps 14 when I rake in some cash.

The guy at Dandenong also used a dyno tune but with his lack of passion for his job I wouldn't trust the quality of installation compared to G&D.

A different question. Can champion leads be used for LPG or would you just recommend bosch dual fuel leads?
Old 01-11-2007, 07:34 PM   #11
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
A different question. Can champion leads be used for LPG or would you just recommend bosch dual fuel leads?
G&D will be able to recommend a preferred lead as they would of been tried and tested

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2007, 09:59 PM   #12
Christiaan
Tuned @ Pitlane Frankston

I use a impco setup..

Maybe G&D can tell me something, maybe you can ask them?

I've got an ED fairmont, 5 speed, and got it converted using an impco system.

I got a model L converter and 225 mixer.

Now, since i got the conversion done, I have had a vacuum pipe going from the mixer to the top of the converter. This is commonly known as a balance pipe, and it it used to trim the LPG down at cruise. On normal LPG cars, this hole is exposed with a copper grate over it.

The problem I have been having when driving my car on gas, was hesitation between hard gear changes, usually in 3rd to 4th and a hunting idle.

I got the car tuned twice, and nothing changed.. The installer had no idea.

Then one day, I removed the vacuum pipe, stuck a bolt in it, and now i am running the grate type setup. The car not only drives the same as petrol, but now there is no hesitation between hard gear changes, and no hunting idle.

I thought it may use more LPG, but consumption is roughly the same.

So something you should ask them, is about this issue. Make sure they use no vacuum line, or if they do, make sure you don't have the same issues as me..

Get back to me if they know anything about the issue!

Good luck!
BA MKII XR6 Turbo, 6sp Manual - Vibe purple, Premium sound, Sports leather, BA XR8 wheels, Koni adjustable suspension, Nizpro v/springs, Walbro in-tank pump, Siemens 60lb injectors, Process West stage 1 intercooler, Mal Wood 11" Option 3 clutch, Tripod gauges, Custom Mainlube T56 gearbox oil, ETM turbo oil feed line, Typhoon intake, BMC Panel filter, Turbosmart BOV, Tuned by Pit Lane Performance - 300.4rwkw @ 12psi
Christiaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2007, 10:36 PM   #13
ECOJET

btw can i ask what parts u were apparently waiting on anyway??? throttle bodies, converters ???
Old 01-11-2007, 10:45 PM   #14
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuresm58
I use a impco setup..

Maybe G&D can tell me something, maybe you can ask them?

I've got an ED fairmont, 5 speed, and got it converted using an impco system.

I got a model L converter and 225 mixer.

Now, since i got the conversion done, I have had a vacuum pipe going from the mixer to the top of the converter. This is commonly known as a balance pipe, and it it used to trim the LPG down at cruise. On normal LPG cars, this hole is exposed with a copper grate over it.

The problem I have been having when driving my car on gas, was hesitation between hard gear changes, usually in 3rd to 4th and a hunting idle.

I got the car tuned twice, and nothing changed.. The installer had no idea.

Then one day, I removed the vacuum pipe, stuck a bolt in it, and now i am running the grate type setup. The car not only drives the same as petrol, but now there is no hesitation between hard gear changes, and no hunting idle.

I thought it may use more LPG, but consumption is roughly the same.

So something you should ask them, is about this issue. Make sure they use no vacuum line, or if they do, make sure you don't have the same issues as me..

Get back to me if they know anything about the issue!

Good luck!
Yeah i'll ask them that for sure.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:46 PM   #15
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
btw can i ask what parts u were apparently waiting on anyway??? throttle bodies, converters ???
No idea he just said parts.

Wasn't informative at all.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:03 AM   #16
trendact
Starter Motor

You Vic guys are luky, some of the better gas converters in Canberra are quoting 8mths plus wait. There are a few that are saying 3 to 4 mths but or less if you take a used retested tank. One guy has a 4 week wait if you go all secound hand gear.

A few guys form here are booking in down in Melb. and taking a drive and a short holiday. Also cheaper down there as well by up to $1000 in some cases.

WANTED: All Original EB, ED, EF or EL XR6 wagon
trendact is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2007, 03:57 PM   #17
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Update guys.

I got the gas system and it's great.

It starts instantly on LPG which it never used to (meaning I got a dodgy fuel part).

I didn't notice much power loss it's mainly on takeoff and when you put your foot down you notice it but it's not really a bother to me.

On LPG the engine runs smoother and quieter as well as has a more steady idle.

So I am really happy with it atm. It was also installed extremely neatly.
ILLaViTaR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2007, 04:36 PM   #18
Rob
Living the dream

Quote:
Thanks mate.

Once you find a good workshop, stick with them. G&D are very good. There are cheaper places out there, no doubt, but with G&D you get what you pay for. Glad to hear you got it sorted. Shows the difference between a professional organisation and a nuffy eh?
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2007, 08:15 PM   #19
EF Futura 07
14.915 @ 151 KPH

good to hear!, glad to see that your car is running good now. you obviously had a dodgy fuel "something?"

EL XR Front, 16 inch Tickford's, Superlow's Front/Rear with Monroe GT Sport's : , XR6T Snorkle/Fram Filter, 4499's/Hi Flow Cat/2.5 inch Redback, 4.11's/LSD, 5% Tint, Sony Head Unit/ 6 1/2 Inch 190w Speaker's
: 14.915 @ 151 kph 60' 2.254 :
EF Futura 07 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post