Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-10-2018, 11:23 PM   #31
prydey
Rob

Default Re: The going rate for dealership mechanics

I wonder if those on higher incomes, make sure they shop locally so that local business doesn't have to compete with cheap labour from offshore? or is it ok to have high income but support low income countries?
Old 12-10-2018, 11:28 PM   #32
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
I wonder if those on higher incomes, make sure they shop locally so that local business doesn't have to compete with cheap labour from offshore? or is it ok to have high income but support low income countries?
What do you define as high income though?

Forgetting that, as a rule I try to spread my pesos around the local shops and if at all possible by Aussie made if you can find it these days.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2018, 12:27 AM   #33
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Most people who don't really care about their car and is just transport to them would not blink an eye about spending thousands of dollars on their house and the associated trades, yet tell them they need to spend $1000 to fix their car and its the end of the world. they all want their car fixed for next to nothing.
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-10-2018, 12:56 AM   #34
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
Most people who don't really care about their car and is just transport to them would not blink an eye about spending thousands of dollars on their house and the associated trades, yet tell them they need to spend $1000 to fix their car and its the end of the world. they all want their car fixed for next to nothing.
Some do but most people don't want to ripped blind either like being charged for number plate bulbs being blown every other service when you don't even use your lights that often!

It's only a couple of bucks for one person but a decent money spinner when you get a few people through the doors. The guys always service my car good but I have caught onto this scheme.

Last edited by MITCHAY; 13-10-2018 at 01:05 AM.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2018, 08:31 AM   #35
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
I think mining and trade rates (plumbing, electrical etc) have skewed people's perceptions on wages.

I'm a printer. Been here for 24 years. 4 year apprenticeship and running multi million dollar printing presses. Mid 20's is the standard for this industry in Adelaide. East coast may be slightly higher. Wages haven't moved in over 10 years. Many industries are the same.

It's all well and good to bad mouth the dealerships but on top of wages there is super that has to be paid. Then there's the cost of running a bricks and mortar establishment. Electricity alone would make some people's eyes water. Water, gas, suppliers, maintenance, council rates etc etc. Then there is the continual schooling required to keep up with the ever changing technologies etc.

Wages and inflation are going in opposite directions and somethings got to give.
My argument is not about dealerships charging what they do, my argument is more about a mechanic doing 4 years of schooling and getting paid 4 years of apprentice wages and to come out at the end of the 4 years and being on mid $20's an hour. This would could also include other industry.

As I said in my post, I work for a company and it has a call centre attached. An 18 year old from the street with minimal amount of customer service experience will start on a rate of just over $25.00, works out to be around 49k a year. Every 6 months the pay is reviewed and they have a cap of 55k they can earn in the call centre.

I just do not see how someone who has done 4 years at school plus the 4 years being an apprentice can come out of it with a wage very similar to a call centre worker, someone who has done the training and slogged it out for 4 years should be paid more IMO.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-10-2018, 09:52 AM   #36
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One of my sons is a 1st year sprinkler fitter apprentice and even he earns more. He's on $28.50 an hour as a base.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2018, 10:07 AM   #37
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFBarraWGN View Post
Don't start me!!!

The Heavy Stream Diesel guys are just doing o.k ($35 -$50 per hour depending on experience/quals) which i used to be until my back gave in.

Still get sore feet/ankles/knees doing what i'm doing now.........Forklifts. (not as heavy).

But, the pay is pathetic for what the work and time and effort i put in!!!!
I did L4/L5/S1 discs in my lower back as an apprentice - how goods that being early 20s at the time and having sciatic nerve pain like a geriatric old man

The good thing is once you have hands on experience over a couple of years, if you move into parts it's easy as and you make your non hands on colleagues look a bit average which is good for promotions!
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2018, 11:20 AM   #38
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
My argument is not about dealerships charging what they do, my argument is more about a mechanic doing 4 years of schooling and getting paid 4 years of apprentice wages and to come out at the end of the 4 years and being on mid $20's an hour. This would could also include other industry.

As I said in my post, I work for a company and it has a call centre attached. An 18 year old from the street with minimal amount of customer service experience will start on a rate of just over $25.00, works out to be around 49k a year. Every 6 months the pay is reviewed and they have a cap of 55k they can earn in the call centre.

I just do not see how someone who has done 4 years at school plus the 4 years being an apprentice can come out of it with a wage very similar to a call centre worker, someone who has done the training and slogged it out for 4 years should be paid more IMO.
The money has to come from somewhere though. That's why private and small business struggle to stay afloat in this country. They can't afford to keep upping the wages.

Paramedics are going around saving people's lives and getting paid substantially less than someone building or fixing a house. Same with all the emergency services.
Old 13-10-2018, 11:25 AM   #39
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I did L4/L5/S1 discs in my lower back as an apprentice - how goods that being early 20s at the time and having sciatic nerve pain like a geriatric old man

The good thing is once you have hands on experience over a couple of years, if you move into parts it's easy as and you make your non hands on colleagues look a bit average which is good for promotions!
Its ironic but true how if you go in hard you end up in better places. It doesnt really make sense but i also have done myself in at work a few too many times, had a foot operation, had a thumb sewn back on, had a finger rebuilt, done a nerve in my arm and for some reason i cant remember how many times ive knocked myself out, but management give me free reign on what jobs i want to pick up and i have it a lot easier then the other guys because i have put in the 7 day weeks and the long hours and proved my worth before. I dont want to move up into a management role though. Atleast not where i work, because i dont want to have to blow up at the people who i have been on the same level with for so many years. The bloke i did my apprenticeship under moved up and ended up quiting because he lost too many mates stepping up and having to tell them off about paperwork and stuff.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-10-2018, 11:40 AM   #40
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's the same in several industries and it's not right. Hair dresser/barbers are similar to mechanics in that they do years of schooling and experience to still get paid less than a 20 year old filling shelves at a supermarket. Hair dressers and mechanics are both trades that most of us use and need regularly, yet we don't value them.

FG XR6T SILHOUETTE - 380rwkw
lucas2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2018, 01:48 AM   #41
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGEREST View Post
I'm not a mechanic, but I charge $60 per hr and pay my guys $35, plus all the crap that goes with it.
Dealers charge $120ish? and the mechanics get mid $20s, seems fair - NOT.
I think you're selling yourself short. Mate..

No Offence intended...
Just an Observation from 30yrs of owning a business.
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2018, 01:51 PM   #42
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post

Car industry is not the only trade that suffers from people not wanting to spend big dollars, people use to cry & whinge when I use to quote electrical jobs and I have friends in different trades who will say the same.
Put simply people just hate paying out big dollars!!!
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2018, 11:04 PM   #43
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think most of us feel we get ripped off with the high markup on wages.It is generally considered that it cost about 50% more than the employers wages to actually employ them with Super,leave,sickies etc,but a lot of employers put between 3-400% mark up on labour,the worst probably being law firms who are more like 500% markup

Last edited by Tassie f100; 14-10-2018 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Extra info
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2018, 12:01 AM   #44
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

The only 'mechanic' trade worth good money these days is a Refrigeration Mechanic.

They are in high demand and plenty of jobs on offer.

Any qualified Refrigeration Mechanic especially with commercial/industrial experience can easily earn $1,500 plus for a 40 hour week and get a company vehicle as well.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2018, 08:48 AM   #45
Sioso
irregular member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas2 View Post
It's the same in several industries and it's not right. Hair dresser/barbers are similar to mechanics in that they do years of schooling and experience to still get paid less than a 20 year old filling shelves at a supermarket. Hair dressers and mechanics are both trades that most of us use and need regularly, yet we don't value them.
I did my 4yr apprenticeship as butcher when I left school back in 1990 but got out of that after 10yrs as the wages and 80hr weeks were taking there toll.
I just looked up their rates today and fully qualified = $22.03hr!!
$3.10 above minimum wage after completing 4yr apprenticeship!
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2018, 03:17 PM   #46
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioso View Post
I did my 4yr apprenticeship as butcher when I left school back in 1990 but got out of that after 10yrs as the wages and 80hr weeks were taking there toll.
I just looked up their rates today and fully qualified = $22.03hr!!
$3.10 above minimum wage after completing 4yr apprenticeship!
This might seem quite ignorant on my part but why does a butcher need a 4yr apprenticeship?

Is this something that could easily be learnt is the space of 6-12 months?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2018, 06:03 PM   #47
Sioso
irregular member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
This might seem quite ignorant on my part but why does a butcher need a 4yr apprenticeship?

Is this something that could easily be learnt is the space of 6-12 months?
Yeah probably, from what I remember 75% of it was irrelevant in the real world and by the time we were taught the 25% that was relevant everyone already knew it.

Not much different from any other course I've done!
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2018, 12:51 AM   #48
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

The main car related work I do now is light car towing on my tandem and make more money than the poor blokes who have to fix them. (That used to be me.)
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2018, 10:38 PM   #49
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGEREST View Post
I'm not a mechanic, but I charge $60 per hr and pay my guys $35, plus all the crap that goes with it.
Dealers charge $120ish? and the mechanics get mid $20s, seems fair - NOT.
Yeah, complete surprise to me. As you say, dealers charge $120+. I would have thought the mechanic would be on $38 to 40. Crap wages for sure.
Old 21-10-2018, 10:42 PM   #50
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
I think you're selling yourself short. Mate..

No Offence intended...
Just an Observation from 30yrs of owning a business.
Yes indeed. Should be charging $110 minimum, i.e. Three times what you pay your staff. That should cover costs, and give yourself something as well.
Old 22-10-2018, 12:01 AM   #51
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

One of my customers rocked in the other day saying he couldn't get a qualified diesel mechanic for $36-$40/hour to do Metro Melbourne and is offering a new company car with a fuel card.

The LV and HV world's two completely different beasts, the HV stuff is actually worthwhile.

The money on it would have to be high to compete with mining I guess.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2018, 12:57 AM   #52
Attila75

In Australia cars are relatively cheap, warranties are long and once the car is old and starts needing paid repairs, lots of well-off people buy new rather than spend on the old.

People that own old cars can't afford mechanics and tend to do as much DIY as possible.

On the other hand, property is worth a lot in Aussie, so people don't mind spending on it.
Attila75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2018, 01:33 AM   #53
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
One of my customers rocked in the other day saying he couldn't get a qualified diesel mechanic for $36-$40/hour to do Metro Melbourne and is offering a new company car with a fuel card.

The LV and HV world's two completely different beasts, the HV stuff is actually worthwhile.

The money on it would have to be high to compete with mining I guess.
I’ve worked with a lot of guys in fifo whove gone back to one of the main centres on an hourly rate you say above, but can’t get the hours. If they do, it’s inconsistent. So they end up in fifo again on guaranteed hours/money and scheduled time off.
$35-40/hr isn’t too flash at the end of a 40 hour week. Especially if they have to get their own way to work and sit in traffic.
As opposed to $45-$55/hr on 72-84hr work weeks. Plus food, accommodation, flights and super.

A huge difference between LV and HD is that road transport, plant, marine, industry etc need to operate. Any down time costs money. In contrast you won’t be required to stay back 6 hours after knock off on penalty rates to finish old mates EF head gasket.

Due to the huge shortage of decent HD techs, the opportunity is also there for sub contracting and working out of the back of a Ute/van with low over heads.

Who would want to be busting their **** working on LV when a 17 year old school leaver can get not much less working at Bunnings on the so called living wage.

Last edited by smoo; 22-10-2018 at 01:39 AM.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post