Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 15-04-2012, 10:59 PM   #1
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

Default Samsung Galaxy SIII

As an avid Galaxy S fan (having had one since the original launched a few years ago, then updating to the SII immediately) I am chuffed to hear that there will be a mkIII of the phone.

There's been a lot of hubbub about whether the leaks are fake or not, but if they are legit, I'm very excited. It is also going to be shipping with Android 4.0: Ice Cream Sandwich. I have flashed a Polish version of this to my SGSII and its fantastic.

Hopefully this will be the phone to bring the finishing blow to Apple's reign of expensive terror.

Anyone else wetting themselves in suspense?

Here is a spec list, unconfirmed but likely (apparently):

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i930...s_iii-4238.php

82lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, bigger cooler, Plazmaman piping, SS Growler, tune, ZF tune, Crow valve springs so far.

Ozracing coilovers, Pedders sway bars front and rear.

315rwkw
MWTB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2012, 11:15 PM   #2
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

Default Re: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Likely spec list includes a 1.5ghz quad core (unsure if hyperthreaded) processor, 720p (minimum) screen with 317ppi and a 12mp camera to mention the least.

And 4g compatibility.

82lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, bigger cooler, Plazmaman piping, SS Growler, tune, ZF tune, Crow valve springs so far.

315rwkw
Old 15-04-2012, 11:21 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

I'm a little jaded with my Galaxy S1 - keeps randomly resetting itself. Good thing it's still under warranty and is currently on its way back for repairs.
Old 15-04-2012, 11:24 PM   #4
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

Don't let the S1 put you off. Mine was shocking as well. It locked up more than a nun and reset itself...calls would drop, open wrong text messages...

The SII is amazing. Its the only way to say it. Hands down the greatest piece of technology I have ever bought.

315rwkw
Old 15-04-2012, 11:40 PM   #5
Kenay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

still running the s1 with darkys rom... never misses a beat!

Recovered - BA Rebuild LS1 T56
Kenay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #6
mrghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This will be interesting I love my iPhone but I might not get another one if there are no big differences when the new one comes out
Old 16-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
creative
I am Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenay
still running the s1 with darkys rom... never misses a beat!
Wasn't a fan of darky. Battery life was terrible and it locked up too many times for me. Been running ICS on my S1 since teamhacksungs b9 and love it!

I am waiting on the S3 and it will be released before the I5 as apple needs to see what its up against!
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
graham_h
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll be getting one for sure.
Had the S1, now the S2 both on custom ICS roms.
graham_h is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #9
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

What are you running on the SII? I've tried to install cyanogen on my SII so many bloody times but it keeps stopping at 'installing update.zip'.

Rooted and all that, cleared all the cache, factory wipe etc, still refuses to flash >_<

315rwkw
Old 16-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #10
graham_h
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWTB
What are you running on the SII? I've tried to install cyanogen on my SII so many bloody times but it keeps stopping at 'installing update.zip'.

Rooted and all that, cleared all the cache, factory wipe etc, still refuses to flash >_<
Using Resurrection Remix at the moment, works great.
graham_h is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2012, 04:11 PM   #11
ch33z1l
Dawn

Been discussing the SII 4G and and SIII a little here:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11360328

The new HTC One series phones are also worth a mention

I'm waiting on an announcement so I can get rid of my 3GS which has a broken silent button and shot battery.

SIII possible dates are sometime in the 2 remaining weeks of April, May 22 and June Olympics opening
ch33z1l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #12
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I'm leaning more towards the Note.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2012, 06:31 PM   #13
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just got the Nexus with Ice Cream Sandwich on it. No problems with it so far.
Old 16-04-2012, 06:54 PM   #14
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch33z1l
Been discussing the SII 4G and and SIII a little here:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11360328

The new HTC One series phones are also worth a mention

I'm waiting on an announcement so I can get rid of my 3GS which has a broken silent button and shot battery.

SIII possible dates are sometime in the 2 remaining weeks of April, May 22 and June Olympics opening
They've said that april or may would be an announcement date, not a release date. I want it now :(

315rwkw
Old 16-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #15
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Meh, another Samsung phone that looks similar to it's stablemates. And probably average just like them! No, they are OK, but I have to say I love my new Sony Xperia S, awesome smartphone that looks the goods as well!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2012, 02:12 AM   #16
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Popular Science magazine had an article on the future of cell phones. 2015 they will be 3D and HD running on Windows 8.interesting article..
Old 17-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #17
ch33z1l
Dawn

Not Samsung related...but I'm sure most will get a laugh

Siri argument between Husband and Wife.

http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/videos/siri-argument/
ch33z1l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2012, 06:23 PM   #18
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned
Meh, another Samsung phone that looks similar to it's stablemates. And probably average just like them! No, they are OK, but I have to say I love my new Sony Xperia S, awesome smartphone that looks the goods as well!
You think that the Galaxy SII is average?

315rwkw
Old 18-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #19
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You think that the Galaxy SII is average?
Sure do. In particular, as a phone itself. There are certainly better phones out there that provide better battery life, quality of calls, reliability and of course customer support. But being average is not a bad thing, right?
Old 18-04-2012, 12:35 PM   #20
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

Not sure where you got that opinion from... :\

The phone is a year old and it is still top of the game in terms of specifications. I am a concreter and bash my pockets on 10 tonne concrete panels, smack them with big heavy concreting tools all day, I've even dropped it off the top of an A frame on top of a truck onto the flatbed and its still fine.

Battery life is not great, I'll agree, but what do you expect with a 4.3 inch super AMOLED screen. Call quality was shocking when I was on Vodafone, but now that I am on Telstra it is perfect?

As for customer service, I've never needed it so I wouldn't know.

315rwkw
Old 18-04-2012, 01:56 PM   #21
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Having just come from a HTC Desire HD to a Samsung Galaxy S 2 the main differences I've found...

Pro Samsung
- Processing speeds far greater
- Display is top notch
- Much lighter

Con Samsung
- Initial available apps poor and thats being nice
- MP4 playback through Video app non existant
- MP3 playback through Music app has auto level
- HD voice quality not a good thing, especially with call echo
Old 18-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #22
a-total-tool

Quote:
I currently own an xperia X10. I am not impressed with the way that Sony Ericsson run the android. The hardware specs are in line with the rest of the market at the time that the handset is released, but they seem to have issues with keeping the software up to date. When they officially release the official version of android, it is slow, buggy and full of bloatware.

At the time I got my Xperia, I was forced to run donut (Android 1.6) when the rest of the handsets were being shipped with eclair (android 2.1). By the time they finally made eclair available for the official upgrade, gingerbread (Android 2.3) was available for other handsets in the market. So even on the day of the upgrade, I did not have the latest software out there. At first Sony Ericsson said that they were not going to release Gingerbread for my phone. When they finally officially released it, the version they had very limited official support and too much bloatware for the phone to run anything smoothly. I ended up downloading the WB ROM, and have modified it further.

They have done exactly the same thing with the xperia S. Galaxy Nexus was released in January running Ice Cream Sandwich. Xperia S was released in february... with Gingerbread (with a 'planned' upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich).

All in all, I will be replacing my Xperia with either a HTC or Samsung. These 2 seem to be the quickest at releasing updates. I have had nothing but Ericsson and Sony Ericsson handsets since I had my T28 (which was back in 2000). This xperia will be the last Sony handset I will have for a while.
a-total-tool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 04:28 PM   #23
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont understand why upgrading to ICS is such a big deal to many? It's a phone right? Is it still a phone running gingerbread? I personally couldnt care less what android version is running on the phone, as long as it does what it is meant to do. Be a phone. All the rest of the crap second. Thats where the samsung comes into my comments. Having both the Galaxy 1 & 2 here iI can conclude again that they are both average as phones, of course the G2 being superior in specs. Currently both phones on Telstra, 1 bar on Samsung 3 bars on Xperia S. The audio blows the Samsung out of the water, screen is brighter on the Xperia, battery life loads better, usability I find the Xperia is also better. Louder ringtones on the Sony, and of course it looks loads better than the samsung, latter being not important though. Only downside I find with the sony is the back cover slides off easy but nothing that a case wont fix. That's my conclusion. If you have both phones in your possesion then you would be more educated to comment and report your findings.
Old 18-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #24
HVAC PRO

One word Touchwizz until Samsung wake up and realise they're skin is horrible and stock android is great especially ice cream sandwich I'm not interested.
Sure flashing custom roms is cool and can be fun but i don't want to buy a phone that as soon as i get it i need to flash a custom rom just so i can stand using the device.
HVAC PRO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #25
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

Yeah I'm not sure what the huge deal about ICS is. I flashed the international versions from XXLP2, XXLP6, XXLPH, XXLPJ and finally XXLPQ and honestly, its not all that much different to Gingerbread...just worse battery life.

315rwkw
Old 18-04-2012, 07:09 PM   #26
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
I dont understand why upgrading to ICS is such a big deal to many? It's a phone right? Is it still a phone running gingerbread? I personally couldnt care less what android version is running on the phone, as long as it does what it is meant to do. Be a phone. All the rest of the crap second.
Not everyone has the same requirements or priorities of a smartphone.

My work phone is predominantly a phone, my personal phone is predominantly not a phone. ICS has better battery life, quicker/smoother interface and feels all around faster than gingerbread.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 08:52 PM   #27
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If they would just make the screen smaller to the same size as the iPhone. I would have already bought an Galaxy SII if it wasn't so big.
GreenR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2012, 04:41 AM   #28
scottyg938
Stock Boss

Currently have an SII and considering upgrading to the SIII when its releases.

problems I've had with the SII are:
Hairline crack going from centre left to top right of the glass
has crashed a couple of times recently
When I press the home key for some reason it thinks I double click it and brings up that stupid voice command crap.

Then today I got a pop up come on the screen, Ice Cream Sandwich has finally been officially released for SGSII in aus!! updated the software and it seems to have solved the 2nd two problems

By far the best phone I've owned, I can't see how iPhone is still selling when these are so much better.

Blueprint | Manual | Leather | Premium sound | Sunroof | Shockworks coilovers | TrueTrac + 3.73 Diff Gears
scottyg938 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #29
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyg938
Currently have an SII and considering upgrading to the SIII when its releases.

problems I've had with the SII are:
Hairline crack going from centre left to top right of the glass
has crashed a couple of times recently
When I press the home key for some reason it thinks I double click it and brings up that stupid voice command crap.

Then today I got a pop up come on the screen, Ice Cream Sandwich has finally been officially released for SGSII in aus!! updated the software and it seems to have solved the 2nd two problems

By far the best phone I've owned, I can't see how iPhone is still selling when these are so much better.
Who is your carrier?
Old 19-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #30
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Not sure where you got that opinion from... :\

The phone is a year old and it is still top of the game in terms of specifications. I am a concreter and bash my pockets on 10 tonne concrete panels, smack them with big heavy concreting tools all day, I've even dropped it off the top of an A frame on top of a truck onto the flatbed and its still fine.

Battery life is not great, I'll agree, but what do you expect with a 4.3 inch super AMOLED screen. Call quality was shocking when I was on Vodafone, but now that I am on Telstra it is perfect?

As for customer service, I've never needed it so I wouldn't know.
Id hardly say the SII is top of the game in terms of spec. A simple comparo on GSM arena confirms this (Guess it depends on what you want from a phone. I considered it when i was moving from an iPhone. Yeah screen is good but i much prefer my Velocity.
Battery life on the other hand my Velocity isnt flash.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels

Last edited by DJM83; 19-04-2012 at 10:51 AM.
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post