Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-08-2010, 11:10 AM   #331
Sprint347
Tickford

The reason these updates are so large is because each revision made to the operating system requires a complete new image file. They can't release a 'patch' like MS Windows to fix a minor bug.

As more and more features were introduced to the OS (multitasking etc.) the physical size of the OS has grown and grown. The same reason Windows XP came on one CD, and now Win 7 requires a DVD.

There will always be more frequent updates with the release of a new handset, over time they will slow down and settle on a 'stable' release like 3.1.3 was prior to IOS4.

FTE217 - Do you have broadband at home? If so grab yourself a wireless modem/access point so you can connect by WiFi. It will be much faster online, will allow you to download large items from iTunes and if you have an iPhone 4 you can try out the 'FaceTime' feature which is pretty cool.

It also gives you greater access to PodCasts, Applications, YouTube etc.
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Sprint347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2010, 01:58 PM   #332
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Sprint thanks will do yep home broadband but I'll do this at the office anyway.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2010, 06:10 PM   #333
TWENTY B
Au Addict

just out of curiosity, today i decided to test how long ym battery lasted.
so heres how my day has panned out.

unplugged from charger full at 6:30am
started playing music at 8am, about 1/2 volume. (not with earphones, it's outloud)
about 30mins onphonecalls over the day
about 45mins on the net surfing.
10 emails read and replied to
3.30 turned it up to full volume, which is actually pretty decent, and is still clear.
9 hours after starting the music, 10.5 after full charge, it is down to 15%.
AND STILL PUMPING..

i honestly expected it to be almost dead by 12.
to say i'm impressed is an understatement.
Old 18-08-2010, 09:17 PM   #334
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
Wish they'd just do it right the first time and not update it every week.
Not everyone is as perfect as you buddy, and until we reach your level of perfection people will make mistakes, issues will be missed and updates will happen. I for one think it's great that we get these updates, and we don't have to pay for them. Apple don't have to offer these updates, but they do to improve the iOS and our experience with the iPhone.

A few weeks on, I'm still impressed with the iPhone 4. I now really like the shape of it, at first thinking the 3G had a better shape as it gripped in your hand better, but the sides on the iPhone 4 make is a nicer phone to hold after you get used to it. Definitly recommend it.
Old 19-08-2010, 10:52 AM   #335
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint347
The reason these updates are so large is because each revision made to the operating system requires a complete new image file. They can't release a 'patch' like MS Windows to fix a minor bug.
Yes but Windows 7 isnt just an update of Windows XP, its an entirely new
Old 19-08-2010, 08:37 PM   #336
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote V8
Yes but Windows 7 isnt just an update of Windows XP, its an entirely new
ROFL! Love it.
Old 20-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #337
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Still haven't had any drop-outs with my iPhone 4.

Also my iPad or 3GS haven't come out the drawer since!
macman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2010, 06:17 PM   #338
Sprint347
Tickford

I put my 8GB 3G on ebay for $350, it was sold within 20 minutes!
Sprint347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2010, 10:42 AM   #339
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton
Not everyone is as perfect as you buddy, and until we reach your level of perfection people will make mistakes, issues will be missed and updates will happen. I for one think it's great that we get these updates, and we don't have to pay for them. Apple don't have to offer these updates, but they do to improve the iOS and our experience with the iPhone.

These guys are paid to test and find faults with iOS. There has been 2 updates and a third on the way in a month and a bit and they haven't even fixed the speed issues with the 3G
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2010, 11:03 AM   #340
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

Quote:
These guys are paid to test and find faults with iOS. There has been 2 updates and a third on the way in a month and a bit and they haven't even fixed the speed issues with the 3G
And they wont. It would like trying to make windows 7 run on a pentium 2 with 256mb ram

3G has less ram and an inferior chipset compared to 3GS (A4) so unfortunatley if you want to go iOS4 then best to get a 3GS. iOS3+ is where 3G would be stable and run smoothly so keep it at that.
Old 22-08-2010, 11:03 AM   #341
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So you've never made a mistake in your job? Yes, this is their job, but like any human, issues can be missed. Expecting Apple to release an iOS that's absolutely perfect and doesn't have any issues is bloody unrealistic, and let's face it, no iOS they release will be perfect. Sorry to burst your bubble, I for one would love to live in your world where everything and everyone is perfect. But part of their job is to continue to test the software after release, to see if any more issues come up and they have identified and fixed these.

Your speed update is on the way. Even better, if you don't like how Apple updates their software to keep it running smoothly, there are many more options these days.
Old 22-08-2010, 11:22 AM   #342
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton
So you've never made a mistake in your job? Yes, this is their job, but like any human, issues can be missed. Expecting Apple to release an iOS that's absolutely perfect and doesn't have any issues is bloody unrealistic, and let's face it, no iOS they release will be perfect. Sorry to burst your bubble, I for one would love to live in your world where everything and everyone is perfect. But part of their job is to continue to test the software after release, to see if any more issues come up and they have identified and fixed these.

Your speed update is on the way. Even better, if you don't like how Apple updates their software to keep it running smoothly, there are many more options these days.
Im not talking about it being absolutely perfect without a single issue. I know that things will be missed and **** ups made, what i am trying to say is that a company like Apple shouldn't be releasing an update on average every 2 and a bit weeks. Maybe spend a bit more time on the release and merge them together. Surely they weren't completely missed, I'm guessing it was more a case of **** it, release it now and we'll just send out a few updates to fix the issues later on.

As for the 3G speed, yeah i know the updates coming, 4.1, some have reported it fixes it others say it hasn't. Might end up staying with 3.1.3 a bit longer.

Last edited by GS608; 22-08-2010 at 11:27 AM.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2010, 04:19 PM   #343
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Lets get back on topic thanks
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2010, 10:34 PM   #344
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Got my I phone on Saturday, bought a car charger and leather case/pouch for it an started to play with it on the weekend.
It started freezing up when trying to hang up from received or made calls, black screen, home button would not work, nothing for about 30 seconds then all good.
Did the latest 4.0.2 update and still the same problem. Googled the problem and apparantley it relates to the leather case blocking or confusing the proximity sensor on the front of the phone.
So I just put the rubber bumper side cover thingy on it and it has been good as gold, looks like the larger leather or plastic covers are going to cause some problems, disappointed really because I wanted to keep the phone wrapped up and safe and in good condition.
Old 24-08-2010, 11:23 PM   #345
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

fix on the way
Old 25-08-2010, 12:02 AM   #346
StarDeala

Just a suggestion, after talking to my local apple store guru, if enough people write to apple asking for specific things, they look at including it into its software...
You go to http://www.apple.com/feedback/ and select from there. It seems there's big interest in getting them to support custom tones for sms/mail rather than being limited to the 6 included with phone.
StarDeala is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2010, 10:37 AM   #347
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Apple just release ios 4.1 this morning. Fixes proxy sensor, Bluetooth, iPhone 3G bugs and few other things with hd video upload. Goes live next week sometime...... followed by ios 4.2 in november

Last edited by FG XR; 02-09-2010 at 10:45 AM.
FG XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post