Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-01-2011, 11:30 PM   #61
Halfmo Rocks
Bearded Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyN
To GT:

Just wanted to thank you for posting "Rainbow Bridge." It's the first time I've read it and now I can't stop crying as I remember the pets (all my best friends) I grew up with. All the memories come flooding back you know?

But a huge thanks to you, and hope everyone who reads this is as comforted as I feel now. Thanks. *sigh*
+1...i read this days ago, but just went through it again...definatly brings a tear to the eye...even more so now where i am now in a rental flat & have no room for a dog (even if i'm allowed to have one, which i'm not sure). i get to babysit a cat when my parents go on holidays, that's all the pet action i can have right now. amazing how i look foward to that now

previously...AUII Futura, BAII XR6T ute, BFII XT, BF XR6...with a holden barina & a renault clio thown in at times of financial crisis
Halfmo Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2013, 09:32 AM   #62
Loonar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: My mate, my buddy, my best friend .... my 'puppy'

Good morning all, me too, i.e, sorry to hi-jack this thread and i apologize beforehand for dredging up old memories......searched for a thread to tack onto....didn't realize there would be Kelpies...... Wish to honour our mate, red dog, "Kevin" the Kelpie, had to make that hardest of hard decisions on Tues. the 7th. Dear friend, aged 15 and a half, Missus plucked him out of the swollen river at Katherine when it flooded in 1998, he would have been about 6 weeks old then... He was the last of our family.. had several others as well, all special, but, you know how it is.... Place seems very empty now, a big hole there, (groan). Not aufait with posting pics, but, trust me, a real handsome devil ( a touch of dingo in there we always reckoned ). Many thanks for allowing me to put something down for posterity... Cheers Kev, love you mate.... (Tears now!!)
Loonar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2013, 07:43 PM   #63
Loonar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is for the above post :- Kevin
2 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2013, 09:24 AM   #64
MarkAW

My condolences Auslandau,
My girl Vicki, the one in my avatar passed 18 months ago and I still have a hard time when I think about her.

This might seem a bit traitorous to the memory of your dog, but the best way for you to come to terms with the loss is to get another dog, an 8 week old puppy who will fill your world. A change of breed at this time also helps.

We went from an Airedale to a Whippet.

Trust me, you won't forget about the one you've lost, but a new puppy will bring back so much joy and you will also remember all those early days when comparing the new puppy against the puppy of long ago.

Sorry didn't look at the dates of this dredged up thread.
MarkAW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2013, 10:25 PM   #65
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loonar View Post
Good morning all, me too, i.e, sorry to hi-jack this thread and i apologize beforehand for dredging up old memories......searched for a thread to tack onto....didn't realize there would be Kelpies...... Wish to honour our mate, red dog, "Kevin" the Kelpie, had to make that hardest of hard decisions on Tues. the 7th. Dear friend, aged 15 and a half, Missus plucked him out of the swollen river at Katherine when it flooded in 1998, he would have been about 6 weeks old then... He was the last of our family.. had several others as well, all special, but, you know how it is.... Place seems very empty now, a big hole there, (groan). Not aufait with posting pics, but, trust me, a real handsome devil ( a touch of dingo in there we always reckoned ). Many thanks for allowing me to put something down for posterity... Cheers Kev, love you mate.... (Tears now!!)
Sorry for your loss, my condolences. You were lucky to be able to spend 15 1/2 years with Kevin. That's a long time to be together. I think......only you'll know when you're ready to bring on another dear friend into your family and into your lives. You just said your goodbyes to Kevin so allow yourself to feel and to grieve. I saw the pic you shared of Kevin---what a beautiful Kelpie.

I know how it feels and I still grieve for our German Shepherd. She was the most obedient, loyal, gentle, loving, GS ever. Bilingual too. She understood English and Japanese when we spoke to her. And some German commands too. She is still missed. =(
NickyN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #66
in shock
Starter Motor

Thanks for sharing your messages about mans best friend, some are great and others very sad loosing great mates. I have been through a divorce and the only one that I feel I can trust is my mate with 4 legs.
in shock is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2013, 09:34 PM   #67
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Thanks for adding to the thread and loving Kelpies as much as I do (and all dogs), they are special and have a way of being an addition to the family, rather than just a pet. I am sure Kevin will be missed but not forgotten. It is nice to have a thread like this revisited and know that it lives within the archives

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2013, 10:27 PM   #68
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got my old girl booked in tomorrow for the green dream. She's 15, a bitsa dumped at the vets. Just too old now, back legs collapsing, gone deaf, eye infections and just old. Keeps having little accidents in the house.
My daughter will be inconsoleable, dog has been a part of her life since she was 5.
Gonna be a bad day.
She's laying in her bed right next to me now, no idea it's her last hours. Extra big dinner tonight, special breakfast tomorrow and extra pats and cuddles on the back lawn and some last photo's.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:08 PM   #69
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

We had 3 weeks between finding out Lecia, our Jack Russell had liver cancer, and having to let her go because she couldn't drink without bringing it back up almost instantly. She had been bought as company for my Grandfather after my Grandmother passed away, despite his protests that he didn't want a dog.
When he went into care, and eventually passed, she came to live with us.

It's been over a month now, but I still look under my chair before I move it, to make sure she's not in the way, or the doorbell rings and I expect her to go flying out of her room barking.
I took some pictures of her when we brought her home after she was diagnosed, but then dropped the memory card and had to have the card professionally recovered, but some of her pictures were damaged.

Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2013, 10:11 PM   #70
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers View Post
We had 3 weeks between finding out Lecia, our Jack Russell had liver cancer, and having to let her go because she couldn't drink without bringing it back up almost instantly. She had been bought as company for my Grandfather after my Grandmother passed away, despite his protests that he didn't want a dog.
When he went into care, and eventually passed, she came to live with us.

It's been over a month now, but I still look under my chair before I move it, to make sure she's not in the way, or the doorbell rings and I expect her to go flying out of her room barking.
I took some pictures of her when we brought her home after she was diagnosed, but then dropped the memory card and had to have the card professionally recovered, but some of her pictures were damaged.

She's beautiful, cherish the memories. I'm glad you were able to get these pics of her from your memory card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
Got my old girl booked in tomorrow for the green dream. She's 15, a bitsa dumped at the vets. Just too old now, back legs collapsing, gone deaf, eye infections and just old. Keeps having little accidents in the house.
My daughter will be inconsoleable, dog has been a part of her life since she was 5.
Gonna be a bad day.
She's laying in her bed right next to me now, no idea it's her last hours. Extra big dinner tonight, special breakfast tomorrow and extra pats and cuddles on the back lawn and some last photo's.
You posted this on the 12th.......how's your daughter now, and how are you doing? You know, this is just what I believe, because I've been there too (each more difficult than before), during the last hours before the vet's home visit. I know our pets knew. Ours' sensed it........and it added to the sadness we felt. The thing is, they know us enough to know..........ours knew. We could see it in their eyes. Or maybe they saw it in our eyes.
NickyN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2013, 10:03 PM   #71
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyN View Post
She's beautiful, cherish the memories. I'm glad you were able to get these pics of her from your memory card.

You posted this on the 12th.......how's your daughter now, and how are you doing? You know, this is just what I believe, because I've been there too (each more difficult than before), during the last hours before the vet's home visit. I know our pets knew. Ours' sensed it........and it added to the sadness we felt. The thing is, they know us enough to know..........ours knew. We could see it in their eyes. Or maybe they saw it in our eyes.
Thanks for asking, wasn't good. We took her to the vet which she likes because she doesn't get out much. I felt like such a traitor betraying her trust in me, the whole family was there for it.
The worst part was I held her whilst the vet gave her the injection, she kept trying to sit up and like a bastard I held her down.
She was in a bad way and it had to be done, if we didn't do it that day it would have been in a few weeks time.
I cried like a baby in the shower that night, I'll admit it.
I still find my daughter with tears in her eyes, especially yesterday when they delivered her ashes home.
Time heals as they say, but 15 years of happiness outweighs a few really bad days.
Old 20-07-2013, 04:33 PM   #72
Loonar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G,day Jaydee, Can only offer deepest sympathies, it's been just over a couple of weeks for us, i empathize with all that you went through there.. best of luck, Cheers, Pete.
Old 13-08-2015, 09:55 PM   #73
zdcol71
zdcol71

I think I am on the way to loosing the best mate I ever had...I haven't been on here much lately,..... I miss Gheko, miss Flappist, 4VMan and Jim Goose.. I've watched the exploits of Cams amazing journey, and I've felt a connection to that lot on the pommy football page.... always imagined this as some sort of dysfunctional sort of "family"
My best mate has just been diagnosed with stage II mast cell cancer and they have given him less than 5 months...My mum and Dad are in their 80's and I have tried to prepare my self ,and my kids for their eventual passing. They have lived a long and full life and are now appraising their mortality and readying for their time.
I would like to think we are (almost) prepared.
My mate, however, is a different story...this next birthday he will (would) be older than me in "dog" years; will have been there with me for more life stories than I would wish to share on a public forum, and been everything that everyone here has experienced with their own mate..... You don't "disagree" with your mate, you were always right,... you never had to apologise, you never did anything wrong,....you never ignored them, you were always just a little too busy. .....Never lose the understanding of the love you share with your best mate.
My mates picture has been posted here before, I wont post it again, but thank you all for having become an anonymous place for me to break my heart.
Old 13-08-2015, 10:49 PM   #74
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdcol71 View Post
I think I am on the way to loosing the best mate I ever had...I haven't been on here much lately,..... I miss Gheko, miss Flappist, 4VMan and Jim Goose.. I've watched the exploits of Cams amazing journey, and I've felt a connection to that lot on the pommy football page.... always imagined this as some sort of dysfunctional sort of "family"
My best mate has just been diagnosed with stage II mast cell cancer and they have given him less than 5 months...My mum and Dad are in their 80's and I have tried to prepare my self ,and my kids for their eventual passing. They have lived a long and full life and are now appraising their mortality and readying for their time.
I would like to think we are (almost) prepared.
My mate, however, is a different story...this next birthday he will (would) be older than me in "dog" years; will have been there with me for more life stories than I would wish to share on a public forum, and been everything that everyone here has experienced with their own mate..... You don't "disagree" with your mate, you were always right,... you never had to apologise, you never did anything wrong,....you never ignored them, you were always just a little too busy. .....Never lose the understanding of the love you share with your best mate.
My mates picture has been posted here before, I wont post it again, but thank you all for having become an anonymous place for me to break my heart.
I know how you feel mate, I lost my girl a few year’s back, and now I am about to go through that again with my other mate that was left behind, the two were inseparable, I really thought that after loosing the 1’st one those few year’s back that her pal would die of a broken heart soon after as they were really un separable but she has lasted to this day.

But just 3 week’s ago we were told the bad new’s after a trip to the vet’s for an unscheduled appointment, they didn’t expect her to last till today but she’s still with us.

Last time I went through this I was selfish and took my girl home with me having been told that she was in the final stages of shut down and they could make her pain free if I wanted to take her back home and be with her as she passed, well that was the longest night I have ever experienced and having been through it I will never do it again, like I said I was selfish but I wanted her to live as long as she could but watching her and hearing her take her last breathe was not pleasant.

This time I will take my other girl to the vet’s to have the needle and say my good byes with her there and then as she nod’s of to sleep pain free.

But I do dread the day that I know I will have to face sooner rather then latter, my only solace is that she like the other has lived a good and very happy fulfilled life and she will be once again reunited with her best friend.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2015, 11:14 PM   #75
superyob
Banned

This is what my heart feels reading through this thread...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-08-2015, 12:01 AM   #76
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

^^^^^^What he said^^^^
Old 14-08-2015, 12:35 AM   #77
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think God only gave Dogs limited time on this earth, because otherwise a man would have his dogs and never bother getting married or having children...
2 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2015, 11:22 AM   #78
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

A sad thread this one, more so for me now as I too am close to saying good bye.
Two boys, Starsky and Hutch, soon to be 16 yrs old, unfortunately aren't coping well.
it will be a difficult time.
my thoughts are with all, who like me (soon) will have to say goodbye.
I think the particularly colder winter has taken it's toll, although both live inside now.
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-08-2015, 12:25 PM   #79
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

sometimes it is horrible being right; Starsky passed away yesterday (28/8) a very sad place at the moment. His brother Hutch who has been with him for their entire lives (16 yrs) is looking a bit lost, following us everywhere.
We are lucky as they were both rescue dogs, that we were able to keep together for their entire life, and we have a host of great memories. He was a loyal friend..
4 users like this post:
Old 29-08-2015, 02:25 PM   #80
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

So hard on them when you lose one, my spaniel lost her best friend, (our huntaway) few years ago now and straight away she was more dependent and need allot more love, she also got to move inside.
Old 29-08-2015, 07:40 PM   #81
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a 5 year old Kelpie, Ed, and I've already faced losing him once after he sliced an artery, The feeling when you're faced with that is one of the most horrible you could have. Ed is my best mate and honestly I don't remember what life was like before him, he's been by my side since the day I brought him home as a crazy puppy.

Dogs are beyond words. Truly amazing animals we are blessed to have as our best mates.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 04-09-2015, 08:50 PM   #82
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefargo View Post
sometimes it is horrible being right; Starsky passed away yesterday (28/8) a very sad place at the moment. His brother Hutch who has been with him for their entire lives (16 yrs) is looking a bit lost, following us everywhere.
We are lucky as they were both rescue dogs, that we were able to keep together for their entire life, and we have a host of great memories. He was a loyal friend..
So sorry...
Old 13-09-2015, 02:13 PM   #83
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

and it continues... Hutch passed away today, this ends the 15 yrs of Starchy and Hutch at our home.
It has been a tough couple of weeks; we lost both boys now due to old age, and in between a work mate passed away due to cancer.
I dont regret having those two dogs, and I appreciated all the time we had, the loss is hard to take.
3 users like this post: