Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-06-2021, 03:40 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Post Dacia under consideration for Australia.

"Australians could soon have a choice of a new and relatively unknown budget brand – Dacia, the low-cost offshoot of French giant Renault – initially with a small car and an SUV.

At this early stage it is unclear whether the vehicles will be sold through a dealer network or sold online at fixed prices.

There is also a chance the vehicles could be sold under the Dacia or the Renault brand.

In other right-hand-drive markets such as New Zealand and South Africa, Dacia cars are rebadged as Renaults, however CarAdvice believes the intention is to use the Dacia name in Australia.

While there is an intention to sell the Romanian-built cars here from as early as next year, CarAdvice understands pricing and the model line-up are yet to be confirmed before any agreement is signed – and no Dacia vehicles have yet been through the Australian certification process, according to a search of the Federal regulator’s website.

Independent importer Ateco – which recently took over distribution of Renault in Australia – has been linked to the Dacia deal.

CarAdvice understands the Renault deal came about after Ateco approached the French car giant more than a year ago about distributing Dacia locally.

The boss of Ateco, Neville Crichton, was quoted by carsales.com.au as saying: “We will be bringing Dacia in. We are talking to them right now about the details.”

When CarAdvice asked for a comment, a representative for Ateco said: “We talk to many franchises (car companies) about opportunities, but there is no comment on this particular topic.”

The Dacia cars that could make their way to Australia have recently been refreshed.

However, Dacia is able to keep prices low because it does not engineer its vehicles to score a five-star safety rating, and most models lack advanced safety aids.

As with vehicles from other emerging manufacturers, Dacia cars would likely pass local safety regulations.

However, the threshold for eligibility for road use of motor vehicles in Australia is lower than the standards imposed by the independent safety body, the Australasian New Car Assessment Program (ANCAP).

The newly released 2021 Dacia Sandero Stepway hatchback SUV and the Dacia Logan sedan both have two-star safety ratings (out of a possible five stars) according to the latest European NCAP crash test standards.

And the Dacia Duster has a three-star safety rating from 2017, when the requirements for a five-star score were less stringent than they are today.

The vehicles will, however, likely pass local regulations due to the lower safety threshold set by Federal regulators.

Chinese brands LDV, Great Wall and MG have introduced cars that have previously scored one, two, or three stars in European or Australasian NCAP assessments."
https://www.caradvice.com.au/957917/...nd-the-corner/
Old 04-06-2021, 04:09 PM   #2
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: Dacia under consideration for Australia.

Well MG has shown that australians love buying cheap crap. But the French couldn't sell cold beer to a man dying of thirst. Will probably fail as hard as Citreon, Renault and Peugeot are here.

Probably their last desperate attempt to get some type of sales volume through their deserted dealerships.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2021, 05:26 PM   #3
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Well MG has shown that australians love buying cheap crap. But the French couldn't sell cold beer to a man dying of thirst. Will probably fail as hard as Citreon, Renault and Peugeot are here.

Probably their last desperate attempt to get some type of sales volume through their deserted dealerships.
Haha, CitroenBender is going to hunt you down
2 users like this post:
Old 04-06-2021, 05:44 PM   #4
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Ah, Ha!
Some real Euro Trash at last.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2021, 06:11 PM   #5
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

When I was in Rue Mania a couple of years back I saw Dusters carrying loads that would break an AU. Bring it on
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2021, 06:41 PM   #6
IanC

Dacia have a good reputation for reliability and value for money in the UK. They use old Renault engines and transmissions so most of the bugs have been fixed. Not having the latest and greatest in electronic safety gear is a plus for me. I don't want the car beeping at me every few minutes. The main downside is that they are small cars. I think the Sandero is based on the previous generation Clio.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-06-2021, 09:16 PM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC View Post
Dacia have a good reputation for reliability and value for money in the UK. They use old Renault engines and transmissions so most of the bugs have been fixed. Not having the latest and greatest in electronic safety gear is a plus for me. I don't want the car beeping at me every few minutes. The main downside is that they are small cars. I think the Sandero is based on the previous generation Clio.
Agree - experienced autonomous emergency braking as a passenger in a current model C200 Merc a few weeks ago.

I'd rather he stacked the car to be honest, would have been more comfortable, it jammed on the brakes and the seatbelt pretensioners pulled me back into the seats big time.

Even that hill start assist in the old man's Fiesta ST - that was the first thing that got turned off.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-06-2021, 10:21 AM   #8
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"Australian new-car buyers on a budget will welcome the arrival of Renault spin-off Dacia.

The little-known brand, positioned as an affordable alternative to Renault, is set to arrive locally next year.
Renault’s Dacia spin-off is coming to Australia.

Renault’s Dacia spin-off is coming to Australia.Source:Supplied

Renault this year handed control of its local arm to ATECO, a third-party importer already responsible for brands such as Ram, Maserati and LDV.

ATECO boss Neville Crichton told Carsales.com.au that Dacia is “absolutely” coming to Australia.

“We will be bringing Dacia in. We are talking to them right now about the details,” he told the website.
The Dacia Duster crossover is in ATECO’s sights.

The Dacia Duster crossover is in ATECO’s sights.Source:Supplied

Dacia is positioned as one of Europe’s most affordable manufacturers.

The entry-level Sandero hatchback starts at just £7,995 ($14,600) drive-away in the UK, about £3000 ($5500) less than the cheapest Kia Picanto sold in Australia for about $19,000 drive-away.

Dacia’s rock-bottom prices are made possible by the omission of technology found in more expensive cars.
The Dacia Sandero has a smartphone dock instead of a touchscreen.

The Dacia Sandero has a smartphone dock instead of a touchscreen.Source:Supplied

The Sandero hatchback does not have a conventional touchscreen with satellite navigation, but it does provide a clever dock allowing drivers to securely mount their smartphone to make use of its mapping and entertainment features.

Five-star safety ratings with cutting-edge driver assistance are also off the menu.
The Dacia Oroch ute is unlike any pick-up currently sold in Australia.

The Dacia Oroch ute is unlike any pick-up currently sold in Australia.Source:Supplied

But the success of bargain-basement machines such as the China-sourced MG3 hatchback, Australia’s best-selling city car, proves some customers don’t want to spend a lot of money on their next set of wheels.

Dacia’s Australian range could include the popular Duster crossover.