Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 26-05-2021, 04:43 PM   #1
tommyk123123
Starter Motor

Default Dealer prediction powershift issue.

Hi everyone,

I'm sure there's hundreds of posts on this topic. I already know the diagnosis, wondering what you all think ford will do. ford focus diesel 2.0litre powershift. Transmission wouldn't change gear, threw the old "trans limited functionality".

It's a 2013 so not new, but not exactly what I'd call old. 120xxxkm on the clock.

Dealer had it for a week. Thought it was the wiring loom. He reset everything, cleaned everything. Still had the issue. He said he can't talk properly to the transmission with his computers. Also said it's skipping 3rd and 5th gear.

Long story short, finally called me after a week saying "your solenoid board is dead, needs a new transmission 17 grand".

Then proceeded to tell me to call ford and say the following "I'm not happy with the length of time the transmission lasted, want to open a case etc etc etc."

Called ford. They opened a case instantly only asking for rego. Case manager called 1hr later saying he couldn't get a hold of the dealer but will see what they say and he can see the notes the dealer already uploaded saying it needs a new transmission" he will contact me in 5 working days to discuss the outcome.

It was really odd. I know they've had tons of issues with powershift so they have it down pat, but I didn't even have to argue...didn't even get asked much except did I drive the car to the dealer or tow It. Guessing maybe they could say that I damaged it by driving it....

So the question, anyone been in this postion? Had the same issue and the dealers fixed it off their own back? It's out of warranty but from what I've read ford will be fixing these cars until they all die or either all get fixed. It's a wet clutch diesel so doesn't slip like the other petrol versions, this is TCM related which they extended to 10 years warranty.

Thoughts? Half the people I've told said they won't do anything. The other half reckon it'll get replaced.
tommyk123123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2021, 05:34 PM   #2
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Dealer prediction powershift issue.

the quote is more than the cars worth
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2021, 08:45 PM   #3
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

The diesel wet clutch isn’t covered by the 10 year tcm extended component warranty. And doesn’t suffer from too many failures. It’s a pretty good box in comparison to the dps6 in the petrol.
I think Ford will reject the claim stating that the car is too old to be eligible for assistance.
$17k is way way too much. Ring a couple more dealers and ask for a price of a reconditioned trans to suit your car. $8-12k would be more reasonable.
What state are you in?
They only ask if the car was towed as they want to know if it was still driving or completely dead.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2021, 09:06 PM   #4
tommyk123123
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
The diesel wet clutch isn’t covered by the 10 year tcm extended component warranty. And doesn’t suffer from too many failures. It’s a pretty good box in comparison to the dps6 in the petrol.
I think Ford will reject the claim stating that the car is too old to be eligible for assistance.
$17k is way way too much. Ring a couple more dealers and ask for a price of a reconditioned trans to suit your car. $8-12k would be more reasonable.
What state are you in?
They only ask if the car was towed as they want to know if it was still driving or completely dead.
NSW. Yeah it's an interesting one. Alot of what I've heard says the diesels are fine, but also hear alot of issues with them. What I find interesting, if your right. The diesel won't be covered by the 10 year warranty, but surely ford have to have some common sense with these transmissions knowing they suck and help me out a little. 8 year old car, should last more then 120xxxkm.

Options I have are A. Ford help out and fix it. Or B. I scrap the car, I bought it for 10k, so not worth putting more money for a trans I to it.

Just one of those things I guess, chalk it up to a loss and move on with life...that is of course after I get a response from ford and take a few other avenues, after their all exhausted, then ill give up.

Should also mention the dealer mechanic was also on my side. Told me everything to say when opening a case, told me this trans should have lasted alot longer and he'll tell the ford head office that too....if he has more pull with ford, who knows. Maybe dreams do come true haha
Old 27-05-2021, 11:21 PM   #5
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyk123123 View Post
NSW. Yeah it's an interesting one. Alot of what I've heard says the diesels are fine, but also hear alot of issues with them. What I find interesting, if your right. The diesel won't be covered by the 10 year warranty, but surely ford have to have some common sense with these transmissions knowing they suck and help me out a little. 8 year old car, should last more then 120xxxkm.

Options I have are A. Ford help out and fix it. Or B. I scrap the car, I bought it for 10k, so not worth putting more money for a trans I to it.

Just one of those things I guess, chalk it up to a loss and move on with life...that is of course after I get a response from ford and take a few other avenues, after their all exhausted, then ill give up.

Should also mention the dealer mechanic was also on my side. Told me everything to say when opening a case, told me this trans should have lasted alot longer and he'll tell the ford head office that too....if he has more pull with ford, who knows. Maybe dreams do come true haha

They also take into consideration if you are the original owner and if it has a full dealership service history. Sure I understand that that may not make any difference to how long the transmission lasted but Ford do actually value loyal customers.
Very unlikely that at 8 years old they will offer any assistance.
The dealer is 100% on your side as they want the job. Ford actually pay the dealers quite well for warranty work, unlike some other manufacturers.
Old 28-05-2021, 03:00 PM   #6
tommyk123123
Starter Motor

For anyone playing at home.

I called ford dealer to see how he went with the case manager and to double check the transmission price. Thinking maybe he meant to say 17 hundred. Not 17 thousand!. He said he hasn't been contacted by anyone. And that yes I heard right, ford want 17k just for the part.....holy moly!

Got a hold of the ford rep, he said he did make contact just before I called and he has put the case forward. They take into account the price of the repairs, year and km of the car and the actual diagnosis of the issue. Said he'll have a reply next week.

I asked him why 17k for a replacement, he didn't know.

If I shook one of those future predicting balls I'd get "outcome doesn't look good" haha.

As soon as I heard the words "age if vehicle, price of repair and cause of the fault" my hopes faded.

Maybe miracle do happen?

Will.post and update when I hear back.
This user likes this post:
Old 06-07-2021, 05:41 PM   #7
tommyk123123
Starter Motor

I have a pretty extensive update!

So, ended up going through all my fair trading, solicitor blah blah options. Basically was a gamble and my solicitor wasn't super confident as all the onus was on me to prove the transmission should have lasted ....so I let it go.

I did have the car sitting for a few months. I did some reading and found a few videos on YouTube of a guy cleaning the transmission solenoids.

Got me thinking, I have a stuck solenoid....

Did a hail Mary and bought 600ml of transmission flush, removes vanish etc etc. Started the car after a few starts, moved it near the shed and had the "limited transmission functionality" message pop up. Tool the airbox off and loaded the 600ml of flush into the top of the transmission fill hole.

Let it sit for 20 minutes, moved through the gears. Took it for a test drive.

Started jerking and carrying on. Kept driving. Car started behaving....kept driving. Car drove fine. Kept driving, car drove fine.

Went to the shop bought some injector cleaner incase it got fouled up from sitting.

Got home, dropped the old fluid with the flush in it. 8L came out.....these transmissions hold 5.5L. plus the 600ml I put in it should have had 6L. So was over filled 2L from someone.... Had some fine metal in the oil bowl but all the magnets in the transmission were clean. The fluid was clean too.

Emptied both chambers/sumps. Filled the proper 5.5l and did the levelling process, checked fill level, topped up a bit.

Have driven 100km, shifts perfectly no issues what so ever.

The manual says it was serviced with the tranny at 60xxx and the car now has 120xxx....has it been running on 2l extra this whole time?

Anyone smarter them me got any ideas? Did I unstick a valve or solenoid? Did I lower the viscosity by adding the additive and it could shift easier?

Anyone have any ideas how I fixed this?
Old 07-07-2021, 10:46 AM   #8
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I fill them with 6.5 L of fluid when servicing them. That is what comes out when you drain them at 60.
1.5 extra litres certainly wouldn’t help anything. Maybe someone serviced it but only drained 1 section.
I have no idea why your flush worked. Maybe it has freed up a sticky solenoid.
These transmissions are sensitive to oil quality and certainly do play up if neglected.
Well done and let’s hope it keeps behaving itself.
Old 07-07-2021, 11:48 PM   #9
ford_17
go djr

Sell it while it is working!!
ford_17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post