Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-05-2021, 11:46 AM   #1
Ben

Default Upgrading audio system

Hey all

Looking at upgrading the audio system in my au2 2001 xr8. Was originally fitted with the premium sound but I added a extra amp and 12 inch sub back in 04 from my old XD but its past it used by date now. Have a decent pioneer headunit I will leave in for now.

So my main questions relate to the front door speakers I understand they are 5x7's the same as the rear. I plan on making or buying some adapters to fit some 6-6.5 inch speakers but are there are factors to consider with room to clear the window slides or anything else behind the speaker.

Also I plan to change the tweeters and I would like to run them off an amp and I understand the original wiring for the tweeters taps into the front speakers is anyone able to confirm.

Cheers

Ben
Old 09-05-2021, 12:22 PM   #2
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Default Re: Upgrading audio system

This is my stereo upgrade...

When I was researching speakers, I did not come across a brand that did not fit. In the end, I stuck with the 5x7's in this car but I did go with the 6 inch with adaptors in an AU ute that I previously owned.

My speakers run off an aftermarket amp but the sub woofer runs off the factory one.

Yes, you are correct, the factory tweeters tap into the front speakers.

I know you didn't ask and apologise in advance if this advice is not warranted, but the best thing I did was to sound deaden the rear parcel shelf and door skins. Some will say don't do it as you will lose some of that wonderful V8 windsor sound but I didn't really notice any difference, but then again, I am old.
PG2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 09-05-2021, 12:56 PM   #3
Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
This is my stereo upgrade...

When I was researching speakers, I did not come across a brand that did not fit. In the end, I stuck with the 5x7's in this car but I did go with the 6 inch with adaptors in an AU ute that I previously owned.

My speakers run off an aftermarket amp but the sub woofer runs off the factory one.

Yes, you are correct, the factory tweeters tap into the front speakers.

I know you didn't ask and apologise in advance if this advice is not warranted, but the best thing I did was to sound deaden the rear parcel shelf and door skins. Some will say don't do it as you will lose some of that wonderful V8 windsor sound but I didn't really notice any difference, but then again, I am old.
Hey mate thanks for the info appreciate it. I agree with sound deadening the parcel shelf as I have done this mod and was fantastic.

Love the speaker choice am looking at focal myself.
Old 09-05-2021, 02:25 PM   #4
mcfly94
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have 6.75” Infinity Kappa speakers with the crossovers mounted in the door foams, all wiring upgrades including to the tweeters.
Had to use 5x7 to 6.5” adapters to fit them.

The speakers have huge magnets and still clear the glass.
They have a mounting depth of 62mm.

I had to modify the a pillar trims to fit the new tweeters and also ran new speaker cable to them.
mcfly94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-05-2021, 03:09 PM   #5
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfly94 View Post
I have 6.75” Infinity Kappa speakers with the crossovers mounted in the door foams, all wiring upgrades including to the tweeters.
Had to use 5x7 to 6.5” adapters to fit them.

The speakers have huge magnets and still clear the glass.
They have a mounting depth of 62mm.

I had to modify the a pillar trims to fit the new tweeters and also ran new speaker cable to them.
Are you running external crossovers? I my splits out of a previous car i had, but the soundstream 6.5 splits had sweet external crossovers and they sounded so clean. That car i ran 2 amps, the little guy just for the rear 6x9s and the big unit, front 2 channels did the front splits, and the bridged rear channels did the subs. So the crossover took 1 channel input, split it into 2 for the output. So 1 in, 1 to the speaker, the other to the tweeter.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2021, 03:12 PM   #6
mcfly94
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah they come with speakers as component kit!
I have two amps, a decent size Rockford Fosgate 4ch and an Alpine PDX mono block for small 8” FTA parcel shelf sub. Amps in the factory spot and hidden well.

Also running DLS comp rear 5x7’s

Probably only thing I need to is sound mat the parcel shelf.
Old 09-05-2021, 03:24 PM   #7
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfly94 View Post
Yeah they come with speakers as component kit!
I have two amps, a decent size Rockford Fosgate 4ch and an Alpine PDX mono block for small 8” FTA parcel shelf sub. Amps in the factory spot and hidden well.

Also running DLS comp rear 5x7’s

Probably only thing I need to is sound mat the parcel shelf.
I was running a big 4 channel rockford for the fronts and subs, and a small alpine for the rears in my 1st car. My current fairmont, i took it all out years back, but i had 2 single coil 12s and a dual coil 12 at 2ohm running off a 1000w rms d class single channel capable of 1000w rms at 2 ohm. Good thing that amp had a remote mount volume knob. These days i much prefer boot space.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2021, 06:52 PM   #8
mcfly94
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah 8” is more than enough bass for for me!

And also like the space too.