Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 09-03-2021, 03:40 PM   #1
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default RPM shooting up at start up

My daughter has a 2005 Focus petrol auto. On start up the revs shoot up to about 2000 rpm for 3 or 4 seconds, before it drops back down to a normal idle. No fault codes showing up.

Any idea what it might be causing this? Drives fine all other times.

I'm assuming it would have an electronic throttle body?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2021, 07:14 PM   #2
auc-05l
Starter Motor

Default Re: RPM shooting up at start up

had this issue. its the hose connecting the pcv valve to the manifold. probably split. bastard of a job to fix as the inlet manifold has to come off. hows your fuel economy?
auc-05l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-05-2021, 02:27 PM   #3
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by auc-05l View Post
had this issue. its the hose connecting the pcv valve to the manifold. probably split. bastard of a job to fix as the inlet manifold has to come off. hows your fuel economy?
Was it intermittent? She reckons it only happens from time to time.

Is the hose easily visible? Might have a look at it and see what sort of condition it's in.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2021, 02:59 PM   #4
auc-05l
Starter Motor

no it happens everytime once the engine is warm. hose is very hard to see as its under the intake manifold. between runners 3 and 4. you can just see it between the runners.
Old 20-05-2021, 03:17 PM   #5
Metdevil

Quote:
Definitely this. Happened on my 05 Mondeo (apparently very similar to the Focus). And yes, it is a nasty job. You might be able to see the split if you know where you're looking and might even be able to feel it if you have small enough arms.

We found on the Mondeo that it only happened on start up when the engine wasn't warm. Leave the car for a few hours and it would do it again.
You could see what was happening once you get the hose out, on start up you get a massive vacuum leak until the hose sucks the cut part inside itself, basically making itself G-shaped. Once the wound is closed, you're back to metered air and it's like it never happened.

Here's a picture of my hose, with the new hose installed onto the manifold on the right: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iaR...ew?usp=sharing

Might also pay to get yourself a new PCV valve while you're in there too.
Metdevil is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-05-2021, 03:21 PM   #6
auc-05l
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metdevil View Post
Definitely this. Happened on my 05 Mondeo (apparently very similar to the Focus). And yes, it is a nasty job. You might be able to see the split if you know where you're looking and might even be able to feel it if you have small enough arms.

We found on the Mondeo that it only happened on start up when the engine wasn't warm. Leave the car for a few hours and it would do it again.
You could see what was happening once you get the hose out, on start up you get a massive vacuum leak until the hose sucks the cut part inside itself, basically making itself G-shaped. Once the wound is closed, you're back to metered air and it's like it never happened.

Here's a picture of my hose, with the new hose installed onto the manifold on the right: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iaR...ew?usp=sharing

Might also pay to get yourself a new PCV valve while you're in there too.
yep thats what mine looked like. i got my hose from overseas as ford wanted $120! pcv valve was a much more reasonable $24 from ford.
Old 20-05-2021, 03:32 PM   #7
Metdevil

Quote:
yep thats what mine looked like. i got my hose from overseas as ford wanted $120! pcv valve was a much more reasonable $24 from ford.
Can't remember what mine set me back, but I think it was only about $20.

Also, I think some models have plastic swirl plates in the manifold which can break off and go through the engine (mine didn't), so if yours does, it might pay to just check the state of them while the manifold is off.

Here's a pic: https://www.robert-jenkins.co.uk/mon...old-port-1.jpg
Metdevil is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: