Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-06-2021, 08:35 AM   #1351
shedcoupe

Default Re: Depression, Anxiety

I’ll take that as a ‘yes’ then .... ;-)
shedcoupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2021, 08:43 AM   #1352
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Can agree with that, there is no judging or emotional baggage with a dog either. They just love. While there has been some heartache along the way, he is my best friend and sometimes partner in crime, there is nothing I would not do for him.

He follows me to the door everyday, and meets me there at the end of it. He helps me sleep better and keeps me company while work. Someone asked me a while ago if I find it annoying having to deal with his array of quirks. No, it's all part of the deal of loving someone. Just like mental health, the good with the bad.

I love this shot of us sitting after I got home from work, a faithful friend sitting with his master.

Also, watching this cutie grow up with the guidance of her big brother last year was a delightful distraction to all that was wrong with the world.

Hearing ya......

Old 14-06-2021, 08:58 AM   #1353
slowsnake
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcoupe View Post
Iíll take that as a Ďyesí then .... ;-)
Its a "yes" but its a very educated yes,
I had no idea why I was like I was, I was a very driven person, but I knew there was something wrong with me since childhood, turns out that at aged 60 years old I was diagnosed with " the most severe case of untreated ADHD" the psychologist had come across, he was 74 yrs old!

He took me on for an entirely different reason, the ADHD come up in my first session, numerous tests proved it!

He said Billy, you should be dead or in jail, and write a book about your life experiences and leave nothing out but names, change the names a n d places and dates.
It was a shock to me, but it explained everything about me and my life, so since I was 6 yrs old, so one session aged 60 yrs explained my whole life!

I refused treatment, he wanted me to take Dexadrine, a stimulant, a form of "speed", I told him I needed that when I was 6 yrs old, too late to change who I am now!

But I am very happy with who I am, happy within myself, am laid back, very relaxed and easygoing, and I seem to attract damaged people, most of it garbage and too far gone for help, some are in their late teens, they have no idea what life is, or how important it is to work, make a wage, get a little self esteem back!....it's bloody sad mate, work is what keeps you sane, filling that 8 hrs with stuff that is anothers business to stew over not your own!

Cheers Billy.
Old 14-06-2021, 10:31 AM   #1354
shedcoupe

At least you stayed off the nutmeg.
During the great Hedland mull drought of September ‘84 I had a go at a rollie made of Drum and nutmeg - it wasn’t good.

Looking forward to your book btw.
shedcoupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2021, 01:45 PM   #1355
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Yesterday was a rest day in The Pushup Challenge.

We're back into it today.

Today's mental health fact will be music to Coupe's ears

You are what you eat
Day 14 Ė 130 push-ups
1.3 Bacteria for every Human Cell: Researchers estimate that for every human cell in the body, there are 1.3 bacterial cells. The majority of these bacteria live in our intestines, and the more we learn about them, the more we realise what a huge impact they have on our mental health.

There is a complex communication system between our live-in gut bacteria and our minds. For example, if you take the gut bacteria of a human with depression, and you use them to colonise the gut of a mouse, the mouse starts to show depressive behaviours. It wonít be as adventurous or as motivated, and it will have less of a survival instinct.

We donít yet have a full handle on how we can harness our gut bacteria to improve mental health, but suggestions include eating more pro-biotic and pre-biotic foods. Probiotic foods are fermented foods like yogurt, miso or kimchi, that contain high numbers of helpful bacteria. Prebiotic are high-fibre foods that good bacteria use as fuel, such as legumes and nuts.

Of course, everything should be eaten in moderation.

You can find a blog article on how diet impacts mental health here:

https://www.thepushupchallenge.com.a...by-what-we-eat

Carpe Diem

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2021, 09:08 PM   #1356
slowsnake
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcoupe View Post
At least you stayed off the nutmeg.
During the great Hedland mull drought of September Ď84 I had a go at a rollie made of Drum and nutmeg - it wasnít good.

Looking forward to your book btw.
No nutmeg, we used tea leaves and birdseed, so it popped as we smoked!

Cheers King Billy
Old 15-06-2021, 12:53 PM   #1357
blueoval
cynical bastard

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

+1 for the dog walks.

Took me old mate to Kuitpo Forest yesterday for a 2hr walk with some friends. Made a big difference to my energy and mentality for the day.

I tend to take the dog for a walk everyday regardless of weather and current mood. It has certainly lifted me mentally.

2018 Subaru XV 2.0-S
2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

Cars previously owned:
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2021, 01:49 PM   #1358
slowsnake
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
+1 for the dog walks.

Took me old mate to Kuitpo Forest yesterday for a 2hr walk with some friends. Made a big difference to my energy and mentality for the day.

I tend to take the dog for a walk everyday regardless of weather and current mood. It has certainly lifted me mentally.
I have a park not 20 metres from my unit, I walk my Tabby cat everyday, weather permitting of course, its a leash only dog park, but 99% of dog owners are blind I think, but they really are amazed to see me walking with an off leash cat?...
And by the way blueoval its for mine and the cats benefit, we both enjoy it too!
I tried to teach him to throw and catch small sticks, he mostly comes back 10 mins later, covered in grass and plant roots, but always with a live "rat"

Cheers King Billy
2 users like this post:
Old 15-06-2021, 02:16 PM   #1359
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Find out what support you can access

Day 15 Ė 200 push-ups
20 Sessions with Medicare Support: Under the Better Access scheme, Australians with a mental illness could receive Medicare rebates for up to 10 psychological therapy sessions in a calendar year.

In recognition of the substantial impact the COVID 19 pandemic has had upon the mental health of Australians, this program has been expanded to support up to 20 sessions for those experiencing additional mental health impacts as a result of the pandemic, and the restrictions it has imposed on our lives.

This expansion is currently available until the 30th of June 2022. In order to access this rebate, youíll need to see your GP.

You can find a blog article of ours below on accessing services:

https://www.thepushupchallenge.com.a...gical-services

Carpe Diem

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3 users like this post:
Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM   #1360
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Conversations about mental health are important

Day 16 Ė 130 push-ups

More than 1/10 Australians will consider ending their life: Over a lifetime, around 13% of Australians between the ages of 16-85 will seriously consider suicide. 4% of people will make a plan, and just over 3% will make an attempt.

Suicidality is the term used to describe the state of thinking about, planning, or attempting suicide. It affects more than 1/10 Australians, so itís not uncommon. We know that suicidality is a strong risk factor for completing suicide, so itís important that people experiencing suicidality receive assistance.

Even though it can be tough, the evidence suggests that asking someone about whether they are experiencing suicidality, including plans or attempts, does not increase the likelihood of them completing suicide. Asking your friends and loved ones about what is going on for them can identify those at risk and increase the chances that the person gets help.

You can get some advice on how to have a conversation about suicide here:
https://www.beyondblue.org.au/the-fa...-worried-about

Carpe Diem

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4 users like this post:
Old Today, 11:54 AM   #1361
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Stress levels have increased of late

Day 17 Ė 214 push-ups

COVID-19 has impacted our mental health: A survey of the mental wellbeing of Australians during the COVID-19 lockdowns last year found that 21.4% (1/5) of Aussies were experiencing stress levels that were moderate to severe. Thatís about three times the normal rate.

People living with a mental illness were at even higher risk, reporting negative emotion scores about 5.5 times higher than expected. These kinds of results have been replicated across the world as our lives have been altered by fears and restrictions associated with the novel coronavirus.

Beyond Blue have developed a digital mental health platform for those whose mental health has been impacted by the pandemic. You can access these resources here:
https://coronavirus.beyondblue.org.au

We also have a blog article on how movement can help with stress. Check it out below.
https://www.thepushupchallenge.com.a...response-cycle

Carpe Diem

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4 users like this post: