Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-06-2021, 04:34 PM   #121
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: KIA outsells Ford in May

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
FBT was introduced by the Hawke Govt. in 1986. The sedan market was still booming in the mid 2000s.

Utes sell today because they are a viable alternative to the 4-door large car. They double as a work vehicle & will seat 5 people at other times. They weren't like that 20 years ago, they have grown in size considerably.

FBT helps, but the fact that tradies earn good money these days (& very low interest rates) makes them very affordable.

Dr Terry
FBT was only a small component. Most of those benefits were when ABN's were introduced and the average Joe worker was made to become a self employed worker carrying said ABN. Hawke was long gone when these were introduced in July 2000.
Most trades that earn top money buy a real truck and have a car for the weekends.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2021, 05:31 PM   #122
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I really don’t think your average joe buy these for tax incentives. The amount of these dual cabs being bought second hand backs this up.

Everyone I speak to who has a dual cab loves it for towing or off roading or work use or a combo. Never heard someone said “I bought it for the tax incentives”.
6 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2021, 06:17 PM   #123
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
I really don’t think your average joe buy these for tax incentives. The amount of these dual cabs being bought second hand backs this up.

Everyone I speak to who has a dual cab loves it for towing or off roading or work use or a combo. Never heard someone said “I bought it for the tax incentives”.
It stands to reason that the popularity of new dual cab utes for business ultimately results
in a ready made used vehicle market. Many businesses lease their vehicles for four years and
turn them for new ones, so there’s lots of utes around.

Dual cab utes are only non-FBT if there’s no private use out of business hours and only a small
amount of incidental mileage between home and workplace. Obviously, many people ignore this
and do whatever but there’s been no pushback from the ATO for years, almost like they know that
calling hundreds of thousands of people will result in the ATO swamped by actual business use claims.
It’s like both sides resist change because it means more compliance work that no one wants.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2021, 07:44 PM   #124
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
A case in Point... My Brother inlaw as part of his Salary package is Entitled to a car..
He asked for a Camry, & got a New Triton Dualcab..!!

Just so they Didn't have to Pay FBT on the car..
I read those choices and shuddered.
Old 16-06-2021, 08:14 PM   #125
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
trolling hard much ey m8
Definitely plenty worth buying, but cause doesn't suit old mate Merc. Means there's none.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2021, 12:08 AM   #126
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2000 View Post
My work did the same thing years ago. Stopped buying ve commodores and fg falcons and went to duel cab utes for fleet cars..mind you.. we have no need for twin cab utes. A camry is more than enough but the bosses dont want the fbt attached to sedans.
My work has had a handful of dualcabs over the past 14 years. We've gone the other way and haven't bought a ute since maybe 2012.
Everyone was complaining when only ute keys were hanging on the wall because no one wanted to drive them.

A couple of our 2020 Prados have 210,000kms on the clock.
The circa 2012 Colorado's have about 240,000kms.
I think everyone has made their choice on what they want to drive.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2021, 12:16 AM   #127
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I was responsible for purchasing a single cab Thailand Special for our warehouse manager,

They really are agricultural, how slow they steer, NVH at idle with the bonnet vibrating and she's a bit doughy down low with the way its mapped (that could be fixed with a tune though lol)

Rides harsher than my old man's Fiesta ST too - its certainly no Falcon ute thats for sure.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2021, 12:50 PM   #128
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I was responsible for purchasing a single cab Thailand Special for our warehouse manager,

They really are agricultural, how slow they steer, NVH at idle with the bonnet vibrating and she's a bit doughy down low with the way its mapped (that could be fixed with a tune though lol)

Rides harsher than my old man's Fiesta ST too - its certainly no Falcon ute thats for sure.
The Colorado was always a bucket of crap though. The others are better.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2021, 03:55 PM   #129
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I went to the Car Expert Experience Centre at Westfield Warringah recently and it was crawling with SUV's. Unsurprisingly not a single Ford in sight. Well apart from the Ranger.
I would have thought that this sort of exposure would be perfect for Ford since all they want to do is sell SUVs.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2021, 05:56 PM   #130
bigwil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Kia outsells Ford, who cares Ford still outsells over 45 other car brands. Go Ford
bigwil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2021, 06:20 PM   #131
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwil View Post
Kia outsells Ford, who cares Ford still outsells over 45 other car brands. Go Ford
Guess the only difference is that Ford WAS one of the major players in the Australian motor manufacturing.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2021, 08:09 PM   #132
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Guess the only difference is that Ford WAS one of the major players in the Australian motor manufacturing.
And now they don’t have to sell in mass numbers to support a factory. So profit is vastly improved. Not chasing volume via huge discounting just to keep the factory going. Completely different business model, and a much more sustainable one after the market became so fractured, and moved away from large sedans.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2021, 08:44 PM   #133
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
And now they don’t have to sell in mass numbers to support a factory. So profit is vastly improved. Not chasing volume via huge discounting just to keep the factory going. Completely different business model, and a much more sustainable one after the market became so fractured, and moved away from large sedans.
Today, around 80% of Ford’s sales are in the $50k to $75k price range.
It’s like the reverse of the days when high value FPV sales were in the minority…
2 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2021, 10:34 AM   #134
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One thing rarely mentioned is Kia has poor spare parts support.
For example we have new shape Sorrento which has been waiting for a windscreen for 3 weeks and we are not expecting it for at least another month. They are genuine only and none are in the country. This is a company vehicle which is costing us thousands to sit around. But imagine if it was a private vehicle? What would you do if was your only car?

I know someone who had a Carnival that was in a decent crash, which the insurance chose to fix.
There were parts that needed replacing which Kia didn't even list as spares, like a wiring loom and structural pieces. According to Kia they don't supply those parts because they shouldn't be required.
These all had to be special ordered which took months.

Also we had a Carnival that had the loom damaged after a windscreen replacement, again no loom existed according to them and it had to specially made.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-06-2021, 12:33 PM   #135
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
For example we have new shape Sorrento which has been waiting for a windscreen for 3 weeks and we are not expecting it for at least another month. They are genuine only and none are in the country. This is a company vehicle which is costing us thousands to sit around. But imagine if it was a private vehicle? What would you do if was your only car?

I know someone who had a Carnival that was in a decent crash, which the insurance chose to fix.
There were parts that needed replacing which Kia didn't even list as spares, like a wiring loom and structural pieces. According to Kia they don't supply those parts because they shouldn't be required.

Also we had a Carnival that had the loom damaged after a windscreen replacement, again no loom existed according to them and it had to specially made.
Genuine spare parts is a big issue with many brands currently, not just Kia, this includes Toyota, Nissan, VW & many others.

Most manufacturers quote 6 to 8 weeks for parts which used to be shelf stock.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2021, 02:37 PM   #136
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post

Thats not just Kia though, thats pretty much all makes at the moment with parts availability. Another thing we can thank Covid for...

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2021, 06:45 PM   #137
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Genuine spare parts is a big issue with many brands currently, not just Kia, this includes Toyota, Nissan, VW & many others.

Dr Terry
I hear this often. What a joke.

Manufacturers should have a half dozen of the most sought after parts available locally. Then you are waiting 1 week not 2 months.

When the stock drops to 2 units order another 6.

Or is that just common sense?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2021, 07:12 PM   #138
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post

Manufacturers should have a half dozen of the most sought after parts available locally. Then you are waiting 1 week not 2 months.

Depends on who you ask, if you ask their accountants then their opinion is no - you can wait 6 months and we'll make it to your order.

If you ask their sales team then they want everything on the shelf waiting for you to walk in so they can hand it to you straight away

Your expectations are that its within a reasonable time frame or available on the shelf.

A good company meets somewhere between all three perspectives because too much either way costs the company significantly financially, too much in the accountants perspective and then they have no customers.
Old 19-06-2021, 08:44 PM   #139
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:

Wow. They should put you in charge of their stock. You’re clearly got a handle on the situation.
You do know there is somewhere between 5,000-10,000 parts for every model car. So I don’t think “a half dozen” popular parts quite covers it.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2021, 09:17 PM   #140
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
Wow. They should put you in charge of their stock. You’re clearly got a handle on the situation.
You do know there is somewhere between 5,000-10,000 parts for every model car. So I don’t think “a half dozen” popular parts quite covers it.
Re-read what I said.

Half a dozen of the most popular parts.

Lights, bumpers, front and back glass, door skins, radiator support, front guards, grilles, radiators etc.

The stuff that gets most often replaced in minor accidents.

If I was in charge of the situation the first thing I would do is fire the person that thinks waiting 2 months for a part is acceptable.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2021, 09:36 PM   #141
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Re-read what I said.

Lights, bumpers, front and back glass, door skins, radiator support, front guards, grilles, radiators etc.

If I was in charge of the situation the first thing I would do is fire the person that thinks waiting 2 months for a part is acceptable.
It would be like going into Woolies and then they don't have bread or milk and then they turn around and go yeah come back in 2 months and we'll have it then
3 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2021, 10:22 PM   #142
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Re-read what I said.

In general, I totally agree but, and I hate to be always blaming it, but Covid has made the shipping game more difficult. There has been less capacity than normal for Containers on vessels coming to AU, and that space is being sold at a premium. Same with Airfreight. Not to mention where the parts are actually made being ravaged with the disease and lockdown.

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2021, 10:27 PM   #143
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It would be like going into Woolies and then they don't have bread or milk and then they turn around and go yeah come back in 2 months and we'll have it then
A bit of a false analogy there, it’s more like everyone else gets bread and milk except you….
Old 19-06-2021, 11:06 PM   #144
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:

Except now you’re bread and milk are imported and you live in a bread and milk backwater and there’s 1500 different flavored milks and 900 varieties of bread and you bought hipster almond milk and the hyper cool sour dough and it’s on back order as the almonds got wiped out in a tornado and the bakery got shut down by cancel culture.
As soon as they can grow new almond trees and build a new bakery you’ll be set.
You couldn’t just get Tip Top white bread and cows milk, could you?
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2021, 11:45 PM   #145
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Except now you’re bread and milk are imported and you live in a bread and milk backwater and there’s 1500 different flavored milks and 900 varieties of bread and you bought hipster almond milk and the hyper cool sour dough and it’s on back order as the almonds got wiped out in a tornado and the bakery got shut down by cancel culture.
As soon as they can grow new almond trees and build a new bakery you’ll be set.
You couldn’t just get Tip Top white bread and cows milk, could you?
This is one of the greatest things I have read on AFF
4 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2021, 11:55 PM   #146
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Re-read what I said.

I don't think you understand the scale of what you are suggesting and the costs involved in keeping inventory 'just in case'.
Old 20-06-2021, 09:19 AM   #147
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes, but it's only because the importer is the only source of these parts that they can get away with telling customers you have to wait months for parts which are always required as any accident repair data will plainly show in black and white.

As Yellow_Festiva indicated it's not shelf stock of every part, it's shelf stock of parts that are always required and again data will show what those particular items need to be.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2021, 09:22 AM   #148
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wait until the insurance companies get wind of the lack of parts, premiums will surely rise……
Old 20-06-2021, 11:17 AM   #149
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unhappy Re: KIA outsells Ford in May

Quote:

Dr Terry
Only thing is the two Carnival examples were pre-covid...
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2021, 11:28 AM   #150
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Re-read what I said.

In the automotive aftermarket what's known as 'availability' is critical, car on the hoist scenario.

Delivered in full on time (DIFOT) and 'fill rate' which makes up part of DIFOT is a measure of having something on the shelf and getting it to a customer when they ask for it without having back orders.

Really this should be in the 90% range - Kia only has to carry spares for Kia it's not like they're supporting the Australian car parc.

Someone who does this well is Toyota, their cars are supported really well in spare parts in Australia.

Inventory costs are higher which is the bane of all corporate accountants but it keeps customers happy, not giving them a reason to look elsewhere is half of the battle.