Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-06-2021, 02:18 PM   #1
Silver XR
Starter Motor

Default VIC Car Club Help

Hi. I’ve been a Ford Forums member for over 10 years and really enjoy reading various topics on the forums frequently, but have never really made any posts.

I could be described as an avid Falcon fan since I’ve only ever owned Falcons: my first car was an XE, then ED, and my current daily is a BA XR6. I still have the ED Falcon that has been in the family since nearly new, it’s still in quite good condition and so I couldn’t bear to let it go. It’s currently unregistered but I want to get it back on the road.

I need help please on recommendations for a Car Club to join which also caters for Club Permits. The obvious choice would be the E-Series Owners Club. I’ve sent them an email a couple of weeks ago but still waiting to hear back from them. Anyone have any other suggestions? Preferably a Ford based club in Melbourne.

Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Silver XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2021, 02:29 PM   #2
lincolnland

Default Re: VIC Car Club Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver XR View Post
Hi. I’ve been a Ford Forums member for over 10 years and really enjoy reading various topics on the forums frequently, but have never really made any posts.

I could be described as an avid Falcon fan since I’ve only ever owned Falcons: my first car was an XE, then ED, and my current daily is a BA XR6. I still have the ED Falcon that has been in the family since nearly new, it’s still in quite good condition and so I couldn’t bear to let it go. It’s currently unregistered but I want to get it back on the road.

I need help please on recommendations for a Car Club to join which also caters for Club Permits. The obvious choice would be the E-Series Owners Club. I’ve sent them an email a couple of weeks ago but still waiting to hear back from them. Anyone have any other suggestions? Preferably a Ford based club in Melbourne.

Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Im in the same boat so any ideas really appreciated
lincolnland is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2021, 04:47 PM   #3
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Melbourne old street cruisers will do reg for you.
https://melbourneoldschoolcruisers.c...t/mosc-member/
Old 12-06-2021, 05:17 PM   #4
GT1533

Here’s one that seems quite active.

https://www.fpvxrclub.com/
GT1533 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2021, 09:53 PM   #5
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Try northern girl car club dep on what part of melb you are in
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2021, 06:44 AM   #6
Trevor 57
is now there

Most car clubs have rules when you join, some require no car runs or meetings, other require heaps. There is a listing of authorised car clubs om the Vicroads website, scroll through there and search out some others. We are based in regional Vict and cater for all vehicle types, but our books are closed at the moment.

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/regi...d-associations
Old 13-06-2021, 12:16 PM   #7
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Silver XR. Being a member of a good vehicle club can be a very worthwhile experience. As a past President of both an American Car Club and a Motorcycle Restorers Club however, may I just offer these thoughts to you.

The enjoyment and benefit you can gain from being a club member is directly proportionate to the efforts you put in as a member. Being active and supporting club events has the advantage of becoming known a lot of good people, and getting to enjoy your vehicle in the company of like-minded enthusiasts. This in turn will invariably give you access to a considerable amount of knowledge and expertise that lots of unassuming club members are generally more than happy to share and assist you with.

Make this your primary motivation to join a car club, and consider the club permit scheme as an added bonus!

What you need to remember is that the club committee perform all their duties in a voluntary role and seek no reward, other than to see the club prosper and for the members to enjoy club activities and so on. As a committee member, there is nothing more frustrating than the feeling of being 'used' by a person who is only seeking membership of a club in order to get the benefit of reduced registration costs and then contribute nothing once they're membership is approved.

In my time as Club President we had a rule that new members held membership for one year and attended a minimum three events, either monthly meetings of runs etc, in order to qualify for concessional rego approval. I used to field quite a few phone calls from people looking to join, as you would expect. The one's that really annoyed me were those that began their conversation with something like, "Yeah mate have you's got that cheap rego?" No greeting or identifying who they were - just straight to it! When I mentioned that we did, and then outlined the above qualifying criteria, I could almost guarantee that would be the end of the call. Some of these would also tell me where I could stick my f*#%in' car club and abruptly hang up. I guess they were the prospective members we didn't want so there was an upside!

Sorry for the longish waffle! In summary though, join for the right reasons and you'll have a ball and make great friendships. Enjoy!
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2021, 12:38 PM   #8
Trevor 57
is now there

I am Vice President, treasurer and scrutineer with a regional car club, we class ourselves more as a social club than a 'car club'

In a normal year, members have to attend 4 events per year, we don't have meetings
Old 13-06-2021, 07:17 PM   #9
Silver XR
Starter Motor

Hi again. Thank you all for your comments and input.

Ozpacman (and also Trevor 57), totally understand and agree with your comments. Very valuable for me and no doubt others reading here. FWIW, I'm not one of those who 'just want cheaper rego' (ok, it's part of the reason but I agree it can and should go both ways and feel I can contribute to the club and other members positively), but I suppose when a club is approached by a prospective member it is difficult at first to decipher from such people, versus those who join to meet like minded enthusiasts with similar interests. That is why I gave a brief background on myself in OP (and also because I've never really posted before) to hint that I'm a passionate Falcon fan. I suppose I may have come across as 'the other category' since I just want to get the ED on the road now. In hindsight I should have researched clubs earlier or tried to attend club open events but this has been difficult in the last year due to lockdowns in Melbourne.

I'll keep researching and choose carefully and I'll get there. Thank you all again.

BTW XRtowcar, nice Tow Car (going by your Avatar).
Old 13-06-2021, 08:18 PM   #10
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My apologies mate, I should have clarified that this was not aimed at you personally, but more so for anyone thinking about joining a club.

Good luck with your club hunting and I'm sure you'll enjoy the experience.
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2021, 10:05 PM   #11
Silver XR
Starter Motor

No problem, I didn't take it that way. All good.😊 I just felt the need to explain my case. You highlighted some very good and valid points from the club perspective in addition to the members perspective.

Thanks again.
This user likes this post:
Old 14-06-2021, 05:36 AM   #12
Trevor 57
is now there

If you are after a car club that takes your money and you don't have to attend any events, runs or meetings and are completely legal by Vicroads rules, check your Private Messages
Old 14-06-2021, 10:12 AM   #13
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Better get along quick to meet the new 30 year cutoff being introduced in Vic.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2021, 10:18 AM   #14
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

What’s this?
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2021, 10:23 AM   #15
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
What’s this?
Yes its coming soon to a town near you in Vic.

Old 14-06-2021, 10:34 AM   #16
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Do you just mean the eligibility criteria is being pushed out to 30 years from date of first registration, or is there coming a hard cutoff; nothing past 1991/2?
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2021, 02:42 PM   #17
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post

It's only a Proposal at this Stage...

As usual all the Facebook Lawyers & Engineers have got the Bull by the tail...

https://engage.vic.gov.au/road-safet...vC3qo98Pp9prT4
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2021, 02:55 PM   #18
Silver XR
Starter Motor

Let's hope it stays that way (as a proposal).
Old 14-06-2021, 05:28 PM   #19
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
It's only a Proposal at this Stage...

As usual all the Facebook Lawyers & Engineers have got the Bull by the tail...

https://engage.vic.gov.au/road-safet...vC3qo98Pp9prT4
From what I've read (HCVC facebook page) looks to be a pretty well sorted out proposal to me.
I'm no Einstein but I think this will happen sooner rather than later to bring it into line with other states.
Personally I don't have a problem with it.

Old 15-06-2021, 08:01 AM   #20
Trevor 57
is now there

I have a 1997 EL Fairmont Ghia that is eligible to go on CPS July 2022, I hope they don't change it before then
Old 15-06-2021, 08:13 AM   #21
Trevor 57
is now there

This is interesting
Quote:
Some clubs have only 2 members who self-approve the entry of the application form before signing off and sending the form to VicRoads. Some ‘clubs’ are ‘one person’ entities. As at January 2021, 1,057 clubs have vehicles currently registered on the CPS, with 462 clubs with ten or fewer vehicles currently registered, and 72 clubs with only one vehicle registered. There have been issues in relation to the completion of such application forms.
Old 18-06-2021, 01:59 PM   #22
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
https://www.caradvice.com.au/961985/...5-to-30-years/

Utter joke they are claiming to be doing this under the guise of road safety. But it actually does the opposite, cause instead of a 25 year old car only being allowed to be used on 90 days a year, under the 30 year change a 25 year old car can be on the road 365 days a year if need be

We all know this is about bringing in more revenue dollars from rego.

Follow this link and put in a quick submission calling out the hypocrisy of this crap.

https://engage.vic.gov.au/road-safety-vehicles
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2021, 02:13 PM   #23
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post

Utter joke they are claiming to be doing this under the guise of road safety. But it actually does the opposite, cause instead of a 25 year old car only being allowed to be used on 90 days a year, under the 30 year change a 25 year old car can be on the road 365 days a year if need be

Follow this link and put in a quick submission calling out the hypocrisy of this crap.

And something about no replica's from what I've read. For some reason old buses would have 20 years club eligibilty.

Old 18-06-2021, 03:04 PM   #24
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post

In Victoria the claim of 'cheap rego' isn't actually that true

When you divide 45 days by $76 dollars equals $1.688 per day, multiply $1.6888 by 365 = $616 per year, so not much cheaper
Old 18-06-2021, 04:00 PM   #25
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post

When you divide 45 days by $76 dollars equals $1.688 per day, multiply $1.6888 by 365 = $616 per year, so not much cheaper
Trev, that's dearer than my panel van and small truck rego.

Old 18-06-2021, 04:43 PM   #26
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post

Uh what? For a toy that only gets driven once a week, it's considerably cheaper.

The whole point of the scheme is that cars can't be driven everyday. Only 90 days a year?

So what you said makes zero sense if the cars are driven to the requirements.

It doesn't work on a cost by day basis, so that's irrelevant. My NL which is turning 25 in January currently costs me about $800 a year for rego. On the classic scheme it's what, about $100? I barely drive it atm so it will be a massive saving for me. If these bastards don't change the eligibility to 30 years.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2021, 05:57 AM   #27
Trevor 57
is now there

My point was that people regularly say it cheap 'rego' and I was pointing out that it isn't cheap it is basically the same price - which is factually correct

As far as calling it 'rego' - that is a furphy as well as it isn't 'rego', you are operating your vehicle on a permit system, a 'club permit system' or CPS, that CPS allows you to drive your vehicle for up to 90 days per year.

Police vehicles fitted with number plate recognition hardware/software can't read the CPS plates as it is a 'permit' system and operates totally separately to the 'rego' system, which is why you can't renew it online, apart from needing someone from your club to sign off before it can be renewed
Old 19-06-2021, 07:22 AM   #28
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is a E Series Owners Club group on fb. My mate put me in there when he tried to convince me to get one I'm sure someone there can help you out with exactly what you need it you are after something E series specific. Everyone seems friendly and seems to get along.

Edit: Just saw that you have already emailed to a group with similar name, so not sure if it is run by the same people mentioned above, but I didn't need any email approvals. I think you just answer a few questions on their FB page and then someone admits you in.

Last edited by T3rminator; 19-06-2021 at 07:34 AM.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2021, 10:12 PM   #29
Silver XR
Starter Motor

Thanks T3rminator. I'm not on FB so that's probably not helping, but I shouldn't have to join FB just to join a car club.

The E Series Owners Club have a website (which is quite good, but hasn't been updated for nearly 2 years). Their website is: http://eseries.com.au/.

I have used the email address listed on their website (which is club@eseries.com.au). If anyone knows that this is not correct or if there are newer details, appreciate being advised. I would have thought perhaps some current members would be reading these forums and could perhaps assist. Cheers.
Old 21-06-2021, 10:24 PM   #30
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver XR View Post
Thanks T3rminator. I'm not on FB so that's probably not helping, but I shouldn't have to join FB just to join a car club.

The E Series Owners Club have a website (which is quite good, but hasn't been updated for nearly 2 years). Their website is: http://eseries.com.au/.

I have used the email address listed on their website (which is club@eseries.com.au). If anyone knows that this is not correct or if there are newer details, appreciate being advised. I would have thought perhaps some current members would be reading these forums and could perhaps assist. Cheers.
Ok, so that website's contact us page has a link that points to the same FB group, so its the same people. 15k group members and its quite active. Their FB page has a link to join the actual club ($50) and it points to one of the pages on the website you have here . Hopefully someone looks at it soon.

This is their FB page if you are keen.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/187714481292099/

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post