Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 09-05-2021, 05:45 PM   #1
ctwogroup
Starter Motor

Default 2012 Focus Battery light issues

What's going on here??
a. Whilst driving my grand daughter's Focus, the battery light occasionally comes on for approx 3 mins and then goes off and doesn't come on again.
b. When the battery light is on and I have been able to test the alternator it is charging 14 volts!!
c. When the battery light comes on and I stop the engine immediately then restart the engine, the light doesn't come on again!!
d. This only occurs occasionally as I said, we can drive the car for weeks with no occurrence of the battery light!

I have tried to follow a wiring diagram but there are so many versions out there it is difficult to find the correct one.
I have been told it could be an earth issue, a faulty battery and/or a faulty alternator(regulator)

It's becoming annoying now, so any ideas from you guys that would help me narrow this annoying glitch would be welcomed.

Many thanks
ctwogroup is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2021, 12:43 PM   #2
CatonaPC©

Default Re: 2012 Focus Battery light issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwogroup View Post
What's going on here??
I have been told it could be an earth issue, a faulty battery and/or a faulty alternator(regulator)
So, why have you not considered these? They all seem reasonable suggestions as to where the problem may lie. You could also throw into the mix a faulty sensor, but that's less likely than the other issues mentioned.

You haven't recently jump started this car or another car using this car?

I would certainly get an auto electrician to look into this as soon as you can. If the alternator goes, the battery will be the next to go and then the car will just stop; usually where it is least convenient.
CatonaPC© is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2021, 02:41 PM   #3
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 
Default Re: 2012 Focus Battery light issues

Hi. On a 9 year old car there is a good chance the alternator is on its way out, a faulty battery wont make the alternator light came on and a faulty earth to the engine which the alternator is earthed to will show itself as a car that wont want to crank. the only "sensor" that would make the light come on is the regulator which is a major part of the alternator anyway. With labour rates being so high nowadays you wont find a rebuilt unit so a new complete unit will be the go. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: