Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-08-2018, 09:22 PM   #1
MattSAU2XR8

Default Tampon Tax

Unfortunately this is in the news AGAIN

JJJ must have run the story at least a dozen times today and sounded to approve of cheaper tampons

However, I propose that the entire debate is a waste of time given:
- Tampon tax is 30 million per year
- Must be at least 3 million women who need/use them
- So each will now save $10 per year, or 20 c per week, or 80 c per period
- And so could for example buy an icecream once a month with this new found wealth
- While some poor person whose welfare payments are now a bit more stringently policed can miss out on an icecream...

BTW - I'm not saying tampons should or shouldn't be taxed, just that it makes no difference to the end user, and the government could surely find something more productive to do...
MattSAU2XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2018, 09:33 PM   #2
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Default Re: Tampon Tax

Last edited by marty351; 31-12-2018 at 08:46 PM.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2018, 09:36 PM   #3
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I also find it worrying that a male would be so concerned about the situation that they'd post it in the wrong area.................moved
Old 04-08-2018, 09:42 PM   #4
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd be ropeable if I had to pay that kind of tax.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2018, 10:15 PM   #5
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Don’t waste our time.

Remove the tax, FFS Condoms are tax free. How does that work ?
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-08-2018, 10:33 PM   #6
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GST needs to be on everything. Then nobody can whinge about being unfairly slugged.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2018, 02:15 PM   #7
Craig@AUDI
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
I'd be ropeable if I had to pay that kind of tax.
Or stringable...or seeing red!
Craig@AUDI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-08-2018, 08:21 PM   #8
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"The end user" hahaha...
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2018, 08:20 PM   #9
leesa

It's about what's fair, and this **** sucks.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2018, 09:57 AM   #10
burnz
VFII SS UTE

why stop there, a tax on necessity's...
toilet paper, razors..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2018, 02:00 PM   #11
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The argument being used that the tax should be removed is that they are "essential" items. That may be so, but isn't a reason they shouldn't be subject to a GST. Those arguing for the tax removal liken GST to a luxury tax - which tells me the people making this argument are either a morons or just dishonest. It is a broad based consumption tax and for those who paid attention when the GST was introduced, there were initially going to be far less exemptions and fresh food was going to be taxed.
Toilet paper is classed the same as tampons and is taxed yet considered essential by most people.

The $30 million in reduced tax isn't the end of the issue, it is that once they get this, there'll be something else women want tax free until we get to the point where cosmetics are tax free. The call for an additional 12 days of "period leave" has already come up again, so they haven't disappointed in that way.

Perhaps we should put it to them in this way - which area of government spending on women's services do you want to take the $30 million from?
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.

Last edited by pauljh74; 11-08-2018 at 02:06 PM.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2018, 02:01 PM   #12
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
Don’t waste our time.

Cheaper than family welfare
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2018, 03:35 PM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
Don’t waste our time.

How about we add GST to condoms and then everyones even?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2018, 05:36 PM   #14
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSAU2XR8 View Post

JJJ must have run the story at least a dozen times today and sounded to approve of cheaper tampons

- And so could for example buy an icecream once a month with this new found wealth
- While some poor person whose welfare payments are now a bit more stringently policed can miss out on an icecream...

BTW - I'm not saying tampons should or shouldn't be taxed, just that it makes no difference to the end user, and the government could surely find something more productive to do...
Do we care when we have a tax on car imports to protect an industry that no longer exists.

Even worse try importing a second hand car.

At least the tampon tax was a consumption tax as intended. The worst thing the Democrats ever did was create exemptions. System far more complicated and now pressure groups can hound politicians to get preferential treatment for pet interests.

Just creates more power for lobbyists and special interests at the rest of the public's expense.

Good for tax lawyers and accountants though, screw productivity who needs economic growth these days.
zipping is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2018, 05:43 PM   #15
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A female can take a pill each month to stop her period. Not medically advisable. But would solve the tax problem!
Old 11-08-2018, 08:21 PM   #16
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:

Quality journalism from JJJ /end sarc

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2018, 10:06 PM   #17
leesa

Why aren't condoms and lube taxed?
Old 11-08-2018, 10:29 PM   #18
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
A female can take a pill each month to stop her period. Not medically advisable. But would solve the tax problem!
Causes issues with hormones and causes changes in body
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2018, 01:34 AM   #19
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
Why aren't condoms and lube taxed?
What do they have to do with tampons...?

Is it because condoms are worn by men?
Adamz Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2018, 05:10 PM   #20
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
What do they have to do with tampons...?

Is it because condoms are worn by men?
They're products that managed to get exemptions for reasons that should also apply to tampons and yet... didn't.
That's what they have to do with tampons. Do you have an answer to my question or are you trying to find something to get outraged about?
Old 12-08-2018, 05:59 PM   #21
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Its a sly vote grab imo though tampons should've never have been taxed in the first place.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2018, 08:54 PM   #22
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They're products that managed to get exemptions for reasons that should also apply to tampons and yet... didn't.
Those products are regulated as medical devices by the TGA. Tampons are not. Its a classification issue, not a patriarchy issue. If they were to make tampons medical devices, the GTS would go, but the product cost would rise because of the additional regulatory burden. You choose which you prefer.
5 users like this post:
Old 14-08-2018, 10:09 PM   #23
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Answered above.

Last edited by Adamz Ghia; 14-08-2018 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Missed the last post
Adamz Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2018, 02:22 PM   #24
superyob
Banned

Glad to see the important issues are being tackled...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2018, 11:16 PM   #25
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd think the leftists air heads at JJJ would be promoting menstrual cups and trying to discourage the use of tampons. They pay for themselves after 6 or so months and, fitting in with the convenient guilt tripping plastic bag & straw ban, they are more environmentally friendly.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2018, 11:37 AM   #26
leesa

The amount of clear and intentional sexism, potshots and general feelings of superiority over women on this board is astounding, it's not that far from the likes of reddit and 4chan.
Threads like this one do nothing more than give more opportunity for even more potshots towards women.

Can we just have a ****ing break from the disdain shown towards women?

Last edited by PG2; 17-08-2018 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Gasolane may not moderate you but I will
Old 17-08-2018, 12:32 PM   #27
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
The amount of clear and intentional sexism, potshots and general feelings of superiority over women on this board is astounding, it's not that far from the likes of reddit and 4chan.
Threads like this one do nothing more than give more opportunity for even more potshots towards women.

Edit: Oh here we go, GasOLane's here to moderate me again...
Here are some stats on this forum

Quote:
Threads: 374,678, Posts: 6,030,428, Members: 124,125
This place is a sample of society. In it you will find women haters, men haters, gay haters, Conservatives, Progressives. Typically the people at the ends of a spectrum feel the need to be heard the loudest. So when they get given a soap box, they will stand on it and yell their voices co****.

This is one thread out of 374K and about 10 people are contributing to it. Don't tar everyone with that brush of being sexist because you are having an argument with 0.0008% of the members of AFF.

My advice to you is to not feel the need to "win" arguments with people on the internet. They won't listen, they are just yelling too. And just because you are not "winning" do not resort to name calling. That is the typical response of someone who has run out of arguments.

Personally I don't think there should be a tax on hygiene products. Where do you draw the line though? Should safety products like fire extinguishers and seat belts be taxed?

In the end the government wants money and will take it from the people anyway they can.
Old 17-08-2018, 02:17 PM   #28
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
Here are some stats on this forum

This place is a sample of society. In it you will find women haters, men haters, gay haters, Conservatives, Progressives. Typically the people at the ends of a spectrum feel the need to be heard the loudest. So when they get given a soap box, they will stand on it and yell their voices co****.

This is one thread out of 374K and about 10 people are contributing to it. Don't tar everyone with that brush of being sexist because you are having an argument with 0.0008% of the members of AFF.

My advice to you is to not feel the need to "win" arguments with people on the internet. They won't listen, they are just yelling too. And just because you are not "winning" do not resort to name calling. That is the typical response of someone who has run out of arguments.

Personally I don't think there should be a tax on hygiene products. Where do you draw the line though? Should safety products like fire extinguishers and seat belts be taxed?

In the end the government wants money and will take it from the people anyway they can.
The internet is a great place for anyone with an opinion, it doesn't matter how obnoxious or nasty there's always a platform and there's always an audience. Most people aren't racist sexist bullying misogynist pigs but this proportion of society is over-represented in an environment where anonymity is virtually guaranteed.

So as to the original question, no there shouldn't be tax on sanitary items when the only other option is to make your own (and pay tax on the materials). It's stupid and it's discriminatory.

Where the line should be drawn is outside of my last statement.

The line should be drawn where the item is required by a section of the population that is forced to pay for it and there is no other option. If the item is essential for their well-being (and here is where the debate starts) then no GST. If it's optional or a random occurrence then GST should be applied.

Having something to stop menstrual flow leaking from your body and onto your clothing and everything you sit on for 4-5 days a month (if you're lucky) is essential to your well-being...if you're a women in a certain age group.

Myself as a male is not directly affected by this but I can appreciate it would be a massive inconvenience (and that is putting it mildly)...and this is going to be a regular thing that is going to happen every month to my daughter, my fiancee's daughters, my son's partner and both of their daughters for 40-odd years of their lives.

Other examples could be long-term prescription medication...but not your once a year antibiotics, something like medication for a condition that you will have to live with for the rest of your life....like diabetes/cancer/whatever. Just as a side note this should all be covered by the PBS scheme as well. Sick poor people should not have to go without food or mortgage their home to stay alive.

Birth control on the other hand is a trickier one. You don't have to pay for it, but it's better you do if you would like to partake and don't want children. Should you pay GST on it...yeah, probably...it's not the same use case as sanitary items.

The problem with GST, and a lot of other taxes...like the luxury car tax we pay even though we don't have a local car industry to protect any more, is that the government loves the revenue and doesn't like to give it up without a fight. With GST on sanitary items they have a guaranteed income source from a large section of the population that shifts as the population ages. They're not going to give that up unless they have something gain in return, like trying to sway the fertile female population to vote for them.

Another issue with GST is that it's arbitrarily and inconsistently applied.

...however this is the same with other taxes, and things like private health cover that are really taxes in disguise (you pay for private health cover otherwise the government will tax you more, it's a win/win for them either way).
Ratmick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2018, 02:29 PM   #29
rosefisted
Starter Motor

Quote:

If there was a moron tax, you could fund a high-speed rail link between Melbourne and Cairns.... Plus there's be money to upgrade the enyire Hume Highway to four lanes each way.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Tapatalk
rosefisted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2018, 04:29 PM   #30
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So why bring up condoms, other than the fact men wear them? If given the option, I'm betting most males would prefer not to wear them. And wearing one arguably provides a greater benefit to the female than the male.