Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-04-2019, 06:37 PM   #1
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Default Fuel Taxes

I didn't want to hijack one of the threads about electric cars so I thought I would start another about how is the Government going to re-coup it's money to fund roads when petrol/diesel is no longer the main source of fuelling the everyday car.

I have recently read a few articles whereby fuel excise revenue is already decreasing due to more fuel efficient cars.

How do you suggest that the Government do this? This is not an argument about whether the government should tax us poor motorists or not - they do and there is no point in arguing about it.

Here are a couple of suggestions I have come up with;

1. More road tolls
2. Yearly registration system where by you pay tax based on the ks you drive each year.
3. Higher stamp duty on new car purchases

Maybe a combination of any of the above.

I don't pretend to have the answer(s) but rest assured the government will find a way to make us pay when petrol/diesel is no longer our main source of fuel. What do you think would be a fair system?
PG2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2019, 07:03 PM   #2
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 
Default Re: Fuel Taxes

So you think road funding is linked to the money raised from fuel taxes, interesting

I thought fuel taxes all went into the consolidated revenue bucket and road funding was more related to marginal seats where the incumbent party hoped to retain (con) voters with some good old fashioned pork barrelling.

But to respond to your proposals;

Yes, there will be more tolls as govt.co will outsource even more of the road building to private enterprises. Who will scam the system for stupid profits. Super funds could/will play a larger part here too as they are looking for places to invest and have more and more capital looking for a return.

Rego fees based on kms driven. Possible too sensible and would disadvantage those least capable of paying. Won't happen.

Higher stamp duty for new cars. Sure why not penalise those that are silly enough to keep buying new cars even more. They'll be financing it anyway and be thinking they're getting a bargain, what's a bit more debt. It's the Australian way mate .

Last edited by Raptor; 10-04-2019 at 07:15 PM.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2019, 07:16 PM   #3
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
So you think road funding is linked to the money raised from fuel taxes, interesting

I thought fuel taxes all went into the consolidated revenue bucket and road funding was more related to marginal seats where the incumbent party hoped to retain (con) voters with some good old fashioned pork barrelling.

But to respond to your proposals;

Yes, they will be more tolls as govt.co will outsource even more of the road building to private enterprises. Who will scam the system for stupid profits. Super funds could/will play a larger part here too.

Rego fees based on kms driven. Possible too sensible and would disadvantage those least capable of paying.
Naaaaaaahhhhhhhh........ A politician once told me that all excise is put back into road infrastructure. I tend to believe the politicians.

They are not necessarily my proposals, just suggestions, at the end of the day I have no idea.

I'm actually looking forward to driving an EV one day. I reckon they will great to drive.

I'm just worried about the Government doing a half arsed job of making the transition from petrol/diesel to electric as seamless as possible.

Ideally, I would like to just wake up one day, look at the cars in the driveway and think, "Gee, I can't remember the last time I drove a petrol car."
PG2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2019, 07:35 PM   #4
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This morning on the radio one suggestion was tax tyres to make up for the loss of fuel excise.

I started imagining a shady guy on the corner going “psst, I’ve got 4 245/45/19s at a no tax price, interested”
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2019, 07:48 PM   #5
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I wish they'd commit to making administration a bit more cost-effective, instead of working out ways to fund ongoing bloat and creep?
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2019, 08:13 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
Ideally, I would like to just wake up one day, look at the cars in the driveway and think, "Gee, I can't remember the last time I drove a petrol car."
Hopefully I'll be long dead and buried when that happens

Toll roads here in Melbourne are privately owned - Government has no power here.

I'd say they'd move to a registration payment structure based on kilometers that increases depending on how much you use your car.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-04-2019, 02:19 PM   #7
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2
Naaaaaaahhhhhhhh........ A politician once told me that all excise is put back into road infrastructure. I tend to believe the politicians.

They are not necessarily my proposals, just suggestions, at the end of the day I have no idea.
That was the original idea, long since proven to be a lie. It does go into consolidated revenue and there is a significant shortfall on funding for roads.

You believe politicians?

You know they are lying as soon as they open their mouths.

And I believe the km based road tax is the likely future scenario. It's already been suggested before. It will keep being put out there as a thought bubble to get people used to the idea. Then when there are enough EV's on the road they will introduce it. Just a matter of time.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-04-2019, 08:22 PM   #8
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tolls won’t help as not everyone uses toll roads, and extra stamp duty won’t work as the govt need money constantly not just when you buy a new car.
There will be a base registration charge, and all cars will have gps tracking which will log usage to be paid automatically weekly,monthly,quarterly. Commercial/high km users can pay a higher registration charge for a lower km rate, or prepay kms and pay/refund the diff when you do your tax return.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 11-04-2019, 09:16 PM   #9
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

91 in Melbourne this afternoon was $1.59 everywhere.

Its just ****ing WRONG!!!!!!!!!
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2019, 09:55 PM   #10
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUIK6WGN View Post

Still beats catching a bus.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2019, 11:16 PM   #11
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUIK6WGN View Post

1.30 at Costco. 1.45 for 98. Lol
Old 12-04-2019, 07:10 AM   #12
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
That was the original idea, long since proven to be a lie. It does go into consolidated revenue and there is a significant shortfall on funding for roads.

You believe politicians?

You know they are lying as soon as they open their mouths.

And I believe the km based road tax is the likely future scenario. It's already been suggested before. It will keep being put out there as a thought bubble to get people used to the idea. Then when there are enough EV's on the road they will introduce it. Just a matter of time.
You’ll know when it’s imminent when a politician in power says they will never ever introduce a km based tax. Within 2 years it’ll be law, and called anything other than a tax.

After all, we will never have a GST......
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2019, 09:43 AM   #13
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilcv8 View Post
You’ll know when it’s imminent when a politician in power says they will never ever introduce a km based tax. Within 2 years it’ll be law, and called anything other than a tax.

After all, we will never have a GST......
It'll depend if It's Core or non core promise, i Guess.
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2019, 10:16 AM   #14
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dan is on the money. GPS tracking will be the way of the future. Big brother WILL be watching.
Fuel excise was always just a proxy for road usage. That’s why the primary producer exemption existed. One of the most opaque systems ever devised by Govt.
With GPS tracking, if you aren’t driving on the road, you won’t be taxed (and I’m not talking about driving up the foot path, Cav)
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2019, 10:35 AM   #15
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion65 View Post
Dan is on the money. GPS tracking will be the way of the future. Big brother WILL be watching.
Fuel excise was always just a proxy for road usage. That’s why the primary producer exemption existed. One of the most opaque systems ever devised by Govt.
With GPS tracking, if you aren’t driving on the road, you won’t be taxed (and I’m not talking about driving up the foot path, Cav)
GPS tracking is not technically practical, too much logistical problems.

Tolls is the best as every car should have an etag or car rego.

Anyways all taxes go into a pool and they just take from that.
kmav23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2019, 12:03 PM   #16
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down Re: Fuel Taxes

From the time of the truck invention we had a road tax system which got so bad and costly not only for the truck owners but also the govt as they had to have people on corners taking down rego numbers so you wouldnt/couldnt cheat
thats what the razorback truck blockade was all about the govt caved in or should I say re arranged the taxes as they put it on the price of fuel which put diesel up to 35 cents a litre thats right 35 not $1.35 another thing back in 73 Gough Whitlam tried to bring in scheme where you paid 2 cents a gallon about one half of one cent a litre and you wouldnt have to pay rego well that was shot down
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2019, 02:26 PM   #17
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

The problem with any broad based tax is that it’s inflationary
and ultimately self defeating, make excise a dollar per litre
and I guarantee you two things
1. The people who can least afford cost increases across the board
will be hit the hardest as transport just passes on taxes as higher
food and material costs.
2. Governments have too much self interest to spend our taxes wisely
so why give them more, make them do more with what they’ve got now
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2019, 02:32 PM   #18
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
The problem with any broad based tax is that it’s inflationary
and ultimately self defeating, make excise a dollar per litre
and I guarantee you two things
1. The people who can least afford cost increases across the board
will be hit the hardest as transport just passes on taxes as higher
food and material costs.
2. Governments have too much self interest to spend our taxes wisely
so why give them more, make them do more with what they’ve got now
Politicians like to spend more and tax less as it gets votes.
kmav23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2019, 03:51 PM   #19
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmav23 View Post
Tolls is the best as every car should have an etag or car rego.
Spoken like a true politician. Nothing exists outside capital cities
Old 12-04-2019, 05:32 PM   #20
burnz
VFII SS UTE

I Heard a Rumour that the gov will increase tax on cigarettes and alcohol..

confirm anyone...
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2019, 05:53 PM   #21
Paul22

I would think that arriving at a comparable charge for EVs would be by way of a (perhaps complex) calculation of the fuel excise per litre against kilometres travelled for that litre of fuel. This would be averaged for fairness. Then, using that calculation, apply the charge to KwH used/purchased. This could be done through the charger which would read your odometer whilst assessing the charge state/condition of your battery when you connect. For those of whom that would only use home chargers they could be required to use a registered charging station either monthly, quarterly, half yearly or annually - whatever the user prefers - to gather an odometer reading to assess the fee. I reckon you'll find that every service station is existence today will offer charging points. This would be charged to the card offered for payment. One thing is for certain the gov't will have an answer and if we don't get involved in the assessment process we will be paying more than the equivalent today.
Paul22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2019, 06:14 PM   #22
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul22 View Post
I would think that arriving at a comparable charge for EVs would be by way of a (perhaps complex) calculation of the fuel excise per litre against kilometres travelled for that litre of fuel. This would be averaged for fairness. Then, using that calculation, apply the charge to KwH used/purchased. This could be done through the charger which would read your odometer whilst assessing the charge state/condition of your battery when you connect. For those of whom that would only use home chargers they could be required to use a registered charging station either monthly, quarterly, half yearly or annually - whatever the user prefers - to gather an odometer reading to assess the fee. I reckon you'll find that every service station is existence today will offer charging points. This would be charged to the card offered for payment. One thing is for certain the gov't will have an answer and if we don't get involved in the assessment process we will be paying more than the equivalent today.
personally I think they will hit you up at rego time, klm's travelled per year.. (user pays)
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2019, 06:21 PM   #23
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
personally I think they will hit you up at rego time, klm's travelled per year.. (user pays)
But how would they know how many K's you've done?
Old 12-04-2019, 06:36 PM   #24
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

Easy
Increase GST to 30%. Get rid of every other tax, excise, stamp duty, income tax etc
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2019, 06:40 PM   #25
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

They might start making bike riders (not motor cycles) to pay rego, green slips, rego plates and bike licence fees. Just a thought
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2019, 06:42 PM   #26
dunga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
That's how they charge in NZ I believe the trick will be to not let too much out of the bag before a lot of people actually buy electric cars.Thinking they can avoid fuel excise and save a fair bit of money (that's the attraction atm) then introduce the tax changes. Chances are we will all pay more even with petrol / diesel cars as they wont be able to help themselves at a chance to rip us off under the pretence of a carbon tax . Read between the lines labour are already spruiking how we will be buying 50% electric cars in 2028 and fossil fuel cars will be mandated to only produce only 105 grams(or so) per km that will mean if you own a vehicle that produces over that you will pay dearly.
dunga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2019, 07:56 PM   #27
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Spoken like a true politician. Nothing exists outside capital cities
That’s right. Wouldn’t the system be fairer if every journey contributed to road income and not just the drive into the CBD (that not everyone makes)
It’s fairer if more people pay a smaller amount.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 12-04-2019, 08:39 PM   #28
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
how is the Government going to re-coup it's money to fund roads when petrol/diesel is no longer the main source of fuelling the everyday car.
Raise the price of cigarettes and blame them. When that doesn't work, blame the non-smokers.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2019, 10:34 PM   #29
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not sure how we do things differently but I'd prefer higher stamp duty out of those.

I'm from Canberra from so obviously tolls are not an issue for here (yet!) but I do 60km round trip a day even in such a massively underpopulated small city.

A tax on a kays seems logical but in practice it would be harder on lower income people because usually they don't live close to the action. I could cop it but I know it would be quite a burden for many around here.

I was quite surprised to learn that tobacco excise is expected to bring in about 3x fuel excise. It is far ahead of anything else.

Last edited by MITCHAY; 12-04-2019 at 10:43 PM.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2019, 12:17 AM   #30
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
But how would they know how many K's you've done?
Here in N.S.W. every time you get a RWC it has the odometer reading on It. Shouldn't be too hard for the Gubment to rape us..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post