Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 28-03-2019, 08:28 PM   #31
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: PCM BEM and Key Programming / Communication For AU Falcons...

I'm in this sort of bind right now. "Theft attempt" detected by car, won't clear. That attempt was me starting it after several weeks of no harness and all elements powered down.

ForScan says I need the licenced version to do a PATS reset; I'm fine with supporting it.

Problem is, I have only one original key, and a clone of that.

So - I'm asking for the sake of clarity on the post before mine - if I take the transponder aerial off the lock, can I use the original key in the lock once whilst holding the aerial against it, and the second time just plonk the head of any used AUII/III original key into the aerial (held away from the lock) while I use the original key to turn the ignition on/off for coding in the second key?

Or to put it another way, when you first configure a Smartshield key, does it write to the chip? Or is the chip completely passive?

Advice would be greatly appreciated. Want to drive the ute!
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2019, 10:28 PM   #32
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The forscan licence is free and lasts 3 months - just reapply whenever you need one.
Easiest way is use your original key and clone key - the chip in each will be reset and recoded.
snap0964 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2019, 10:35 PM   #33
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snap0964 View Post
...Easiest way is use your original key and clone key - the chip in each will be reset and recoded.
That will work? - I thought clones wouldn't work, per posts from te5000.
Old 29-03-2019, 12:06 AM   #34
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did a friend's BF wagon a couple of months ago - only had the one key, with an ebay special locksmith cut for no 2, both coded in no probs with Forscan.

He wants a third key - which we'll try coding using the in house method, which is supposed to be done using two original keys, the car did the correct motions using an original and clone, but we couldn't finish the operation til he gets key no3.
Old 29-03-2019, 12:35 AM   #35
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The problem overleaf may've been a chip problem - BA's/Mondeo's use a 4D60 transponder, BF's/Focuses use a 4D63 chip.
Not sure if the AUII/III's use the same chip as the BA's - although the key's look the same.
You can get an old AU key and use a dremel to get the transponder out (careful does it) - looks like a capsule around 10mm long.
Old 29-03-2019, 04:17 AM   #36
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Smartshield AUs should be same as a BA - 4D60. I’m not clear with respect to your last comment on whether this means a clone will or won’t be likely to pass in its own right.
Old 29-03-2019, 09:39 AM   #37
11ford11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Clone key is recognised as the same key
Get second key from wreckers or some one with same car
Remember The key is not being programmed the BCM is
Program your original key first then quickly shield it with Alfoil or aluminium pie container with small hole to allow key to pass thru it then turn ignition on with this key while holding the second key near ignition key hole Note.if you borrow a key from someone it is not affected as it is only the Bem that’s programmed

You then need to carry out a parameter reset with scan tool to link bem and pcm
11ford11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-03-2019, 09:47 AM   #38
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Thanks for clearing that up. Not having a spare key and not knowing any other AU or BA owners, I’ll be trying to scrounge up one at least cost from a wrecker.

The pie tin is an excellent idea.

I keep a few of those from the little festive fruit mince pies sold each December - good for putting a tiny amount of finish in to brush or dab on something.
Old 29-03-2019, 02:01 PM   #39
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I’m not clear with respect to your last comment on whether this means a clone will or won’t be likely to pass in its own right.
I'm talking about coding a 3rd key in - a clone key seems to be recognised, but I don't have a third key to complete the process to see if it works.
Quote:
Problem is, I have only one original key, and a clone of that.Not having a spare key and not knowing any other AU or BA owners
You need to be clear how many keys you have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11ford11 View Post
Program your original key first then quickly shield it with Alfoil or aluminium pie container with small hole to allow key to pass thru it then turn ignition on with this key while holding the second key near ignition key hole
I've tried this and it is very hard to do in practice - you only have 5 secs to do each key, and the chip needs to be fully covered, otherwise it still gets detected, alfoil needs at least double covering.
In the end, a second cut key and Forscan - job done, couldn't be easier.
Old 29-03-2019, 02:22 PM   #40
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

This is all keys I have for the vehicle.

The Silca is a clone of the genuine key. It used to start the car fine, there was no difference with the genuine.
Old 29-03-2019, 06:37 PM   #41
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I’ve now acquired a used BA key.

My plan is simple. Free up the transponder aerial from the lock cylinder, make an extension for the earth eyelet.

For the first key I will put the clone key in the actual lock, and hold the aerial around my original’s butt - well away from the lock cylinder.

For the second key I will hold the butt of my new BA key in the transponder aerial, again away from the lock cylinder.
Old 29-03-2019, 10:15 PM   #42
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So how are you going to reset the PCM and BEM since the car is immobilised ?
It won't train keys til you do.
Old 30-03-2019, 11:28 AM   #43
11ford11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I’ve now acquired a used BA key.

My plan is simple. Free up the transponder aerial from the lock cylinder, make an extension for the earth eyelet.

For the first key I will put the clone key in the actual lock, and hold the aerial around my original’s butt - well away from the lock cylinder.

For the second key I will hold the butt of my new BA key in the transponder aerial, again away from the lock cylinder.
Cloned aftermarket keys won’t always program without a dedicated tool from the supplier of the key to CLONE it and that includes with Fords IDS

Programming should clear old keys before moving on with key programming clone key may not?
Suggest turn ignition on with original cut key with shielding on key and program dummy key first by placing the chip end of key between foil and key barrel drop on floor then remove foil shield and program original key

Last edited by 11ford11; 30-03-2019 at 11:53 AM.
11ford11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2019, 09:23 PM   #44
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

This was the message tonight when I ran the “key on, engine off” self-diagnostic on ForScan.

Other interesting aspects are when the ignition is right off, the Smartshield light flashes “normally”. When I turn it to reds, the Smartshield light stays solid red.

Everything else on the car seems to work except illumination of clock face and heater controls.

The inability to have dialogue with the BEM is a frustration. I’m used to being able to see if a key is detected.

When I start the PATS process it doesn’t cycle the door locks to indicate entering learning mode, I feel this is a clue. Have checked plugs in BEM and transponder aerial are properly home.
Old 31-03-2019, 03:16 PM   #45
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks like you at least need a parameter reset on the PCM.
Old 31-03-2019, 03:22 PM   #46
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Have done that, buzzed out lines from BEM to transponder aerial, presently wrestling with bridging connector between dash harness and PCM loom to check dialogue line from PCM to BEM.

I noted no change in any of the diagnostic results whether the key aerial was plugged in or not.

My understanding of the Smartshield immobiliser was that if it were fully tripped you didn’t get the regular flashing hand with key off. Is this actually true?
Old 31-03-2019, 04:35 PM   #47
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

More connector corrosion. 914, bus negative wire (as the schematics call it) snapped right off. Can see another "plumbing" job like my harness augmentation a year ago for the PCM pins that corroded to nothing.
Old 23-04-2019, 01:17 PM   #48
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

One of those occasional Fleabay bargains fell my way, I snagged a trio of new genuine Smartshield keys, new door and ignition barrels at a Good Price.

Waiting for the next week (realistically) to swap in and try my hand again at key programming.
Old 03-09-2022, 11:06 AM   #49
asimplelife
mechanical novice hopeful
Donating Member2

Just adding a note here from my own recent experience (it may have already been said here, but just wanted to spell it out).

Some clone keys do work with Forscan. It's the luck of the draw really. If you go through the process and both keys fail, you are in trouble.

But if you go through the process and it becomes obvious one key is ok but the other isn't (confirm this by switching the order of keys while running PATS), then the foil wrap of the key does work.
But you may need to wrap additional foil.
And you may need to try a few times to get the good key close enough to fool the reader.
asimplelife is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2022, 11:17 PM   #50
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by asimplelife View Post
Just adding a note here from my own recent experience (it may have already been said here, but just wanted to spell it out).

Some clone keys do work with Forscan. It's the luck of the draw really. If you go through the process and both keys fail, you are in trouble.

But if you go through the process and it becomes obvious one key is ok but the other isn't (confirm this by switching the order of keys while running PATS), then the foil wrap of the key does work.
But you may need to wrap additional foil.
And you may need to try a few times to get the good key close enough to fool the reader.

bit old now but ..... i have bought keys for my BA & her BF from the one ebay seller. originally i bought a test key for each & ran forscan. then coz the keys worked i bought more for spares. i had NO problems with PATS
mad2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-06-2023, 04:07 PM   #51
brandbuster777

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad2 View Post
.... i have bought keys for my BA & her BF from the one ebay seller.
Care to name the seller as a reliable source?
brandbuster777 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2023, 04:45 PM   #52
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandbuster777 View Post
Care to name the seller as a reliable source?

sure - ebay is the seller
Old 18-06-2023, 01:03 PM   #53
brandbuster777

okay mad2 I now have a uncut non flip key from the above seller in my possession thanks for the tip.
I have my original flip key with no spare to try and reprogram 2 transponders pararmeter reset and thereby releasing the thunder down under the bonnet.

slight hiccup in that I ordered a DLC to USB cord online and have been waiting by the mailbox for its arrival. Today I reread the ad and discovered its on backorder for at least another week.

The cars a 08 BF Falcon XT LPG only BTW. I've started two other threads about what started out as a cooling problem and somehow triggered the smartshield.

When I get the cord I think my process will be to wrap the original key in foil twice and after deleting all keys (if they are not already wiped) I'll start with the original key first with the foil and hold the blank up to reader while using the only cut key to switch on ignition once this seems to be successful I'll remove key from barrel and drop blank while removing foil quickly from original before wacking it back in to program as second key.
if it works I can get the blank cut later.

After that I will have to do a paramater reset I'm guessing by phoning in for an incode.
Anyway once I use FORscan to scan for codes I'll know what I'm dealing with. Meanwhile its the trusty treddlie and train to get around.
Old 18-06-2023, 01:54 PM   #54
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandbuster777 View Post
okay mad2 I now have a uncut non flip key from the above seller in my possession thanks for the tip.
I have my original flip key with no spare to try and reprogram 2 transponders pararmeter reset and thereby releasing the thunder down under the bonnet.

slight hiccup in that I ordered a DLC to USB cord online and have been waiting by the mailbox for its arrival. Today I reread the ad and discovered its on backorder for at least another week.

The cars a 08 BF Falcon XT LPG only BTW. I've started two other threads about what started out as a cooling problem and somehow triggered the smartshield. - mine a is factory LPG and a '06

When I get the cord I think my process will be to wrap the original key in foil twice and after deleting all keys (if they are not already wiped) I'll start with the original key first with the foil and hold the blank up to reader while using the only cut key to switch on ignition once this seems to be successful I'll remove key from barrel and drop blank while removing foil quickly from original before wacking it back in to program as second key.
if it works I can get the blank cut later. - it will/can work .. altho it took me a coupla goes to get it to actually work as i stuffed up & had to redo the keys - it's ALL in the timing lol.

After that I will have to do a paramater reset I'm guessing by phoning in for an incode. - no idea where you get that idea from as using Forscan it will do ALL that [depending on what your using- i use the laptop] without 'ringing' for a code.

Anyway once I use FORscan to scan for codes I'll know what I'm dealing with. Meanwhile its the trusty treddlie and train to get around.

good luck & some answers in blue. to use all the Forscan options you will need the 'temp' license [get from the website] otherwise it will be no go [or if you can - buy a years subscription altho i don't know if you can just yet?].
Old 20-06-2023, 07:15 PM   #55
brandbuster777

Phew the data link is on its way from perth. Yay.
- no idea where you get that idea from as using Forscan it will do ALL that [depending on what your using- i use the laptop] without 'ringing' for a code.

Well you dont say. That will make it easier then maybe the whole incode and outcode thing was before newer developments. They must now have a caluculator in the software, some threads I read are getting a bit old.
They said ring Ford or other tech source for the code but think I also found an online calculator. Any how should hopeful by able to sort it this weekend if not sooner, then I can go back to sussing out if my fan is working. Its getting a bit cold for riding. 0°C tomorrow.