Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 01-08-2016, 07:34 PM   #91
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Default Re: AUII XR8 200kw - Torque Increase

I never said hurricanes were a restriction at any point,i said my extractors were said to be a restriction.
I did say the have the same pipe sizes but a smaller collector.
Im not saying anything is right or wrong about your setup t man but ive been stung a few times listening to advice on aff and its cost me dollars,that makes you want proof before outlaying $$$$$
I only ever wanted some proof why pacies are worse off than hurricanes,its kind of got off track a bit,from what I can see its a trade off.
Bigger primaries and smaller collector against smaller primaries with a bigger collector which needs a further restriction in the exhaust to counteract the bigger collector,definitely is a trade off,or am I misinterpreting the info im reading?
That's why I said is it just a marginal thing?
6 of one,half a dozen of the other.
that's the way I see it.

Last edited by STINKY NINJA; 01-08-2016 at 07:48 PM.
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2016, 07:47 PM   #92
T MAN

Fair enough but you did say that you headers had the same primary pipes as the hurricanes meaning that there is a possibility that the hurricanes could also be a restriction. But just to add. While my car is supercharged its a centrifugal supercharger and does not make any boost untill around 2500 to 3000rpm. In saying that the hurricanes were fitted before the car was supercharged. . While I honestly cant compare them directly with the pacemakers. I did remove a set of hm headers for the hurricanes and they made a slight improvement in low to mid torque.. But this is just my experience with my car and what works for one doesn't always work for another.
T MAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2016, 07:48 PM   #93
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINKY NINJA View Post
That's awesome dude but im not on about blown windsors.
Your motor makes a ton more bottom end torque than a 5.0 with just an exhaust,its a bad comparison.
Id love to hear from someone that has changed from pacies to hurricanes and can prove they blow them out of the water with the mountains of extra low end torque they produce.
The seed was planted by the guy who tuned my car,im no exhaust expert,i just like proof before outlaying cash thesedays!
I don't think anyone has said the Hurricanes will make mountains more torque than the Pacemaker tri-y's.
They should be a little in front, but it won't be huge.

They will however make good amounts more than a bigger tube 4-1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by STINKY NINJA
I never said hurricanes were a restriction at any point,i said my extractors were said to be a restriction.
I did say the have the same pipe sizes but a smaller collector.
So long as your headers don't have any silly restriction inside the Y pieces or any other surprises, they'll be fine.
Twin 2.25" pipes will support well over 400hp.

There's plenty of NA T3's making ~450hp with Hurricanes.

Edit -
To add more to the confusion, my money is on the Advance tri-y's to potentially be even better than the Hurricanes.
They have the same size primaries, but a bit longer. Good.
They have larger secondaries, but longer. Also good.
Same size collector.
It's fair to say the Advance has more potential, without giving away anything down low.

I have nothing to prove this, except theory.

Last edited by Sox; 01-08-2016 at 07:54 PM.
Sox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-08-2016, 07:54 PM   #94
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T MAN View Post
Fair enough but you did say that you headers had the same primary pipes as the hurricanes meaning that there is a possibility that the hurricanes could also be a restriction. But just to add. While my car is supercharged its a centrifugal supercharger and does not make any boost untill around 2500 to 3000rpm. In saying that the hurricanes were fitted before the car was supercharged. . While I honestly cant compare them directly with the pacemakers. I did remove a set of hm headers for the hurricanes and they made a slight improvement in low to mid torque.. But this is just my experience with my car and what works for one doesn't always work for another.
Hm says their headers only have a 2 1/8 collector,never mentioned pipe sizes though,id say that collector size may have been a factor.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:59 PM   #95
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
I don't think anyone has said the Hurricanes will make mountains more torque than the Pacemaker tri-y's.
They should be a little in front, but it won't be huge.

They will however make good amounts more than a bigger tube 4-1.

So long as your headers don't have any silly restriction inside the Y pieces or any other surprises, they'll be fine.
Twin 2.25" pipes will support well over 400hp.

There's plenty of NA T3's making ~450hp with Hurricanes.

Edit -
To add more to the confusion, my money is on the Advance tri-y's to potentially be even better than the Hurricanes.
They have the same size primaries, but a bit longer. Good.
They have larger secondaries, but longer. Also good.
Same size collector.
It's fair to say the Advance has more potential, without giving away anything down low.

I have nothing to prove this, except theory.
My eb doesn't have a 342 stroker though so it makes a lot less torque compared to a t3 would,im honestly only worried about low end power anyway,my motor only revs to 5000rpm and sits mostly under 3500,i need to go for something different if it will make more low end torque compared to my hitech headers.
Pretty sure advance headers are made for gt40p into e series as well,might have a look at them.
I might come across as harsh but im only after the correct info,i was **** at computers at school,nobody taught me computer ettiquite
Old 01-08-2016, 08:03 PM   #96
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

Don't think it will help much but.........my car came with a set of tri y pacies in the boot which i will be fitting in the next month or so, i know many here prefer the hurricanes but i have the pacies already so that's what I'll be using. The car is very close to being stock and currently has the factory headers and cats with twin 2.25 all the way. Once i fit the pacies with hi flow cats i will be sure to report any difference in driveability which I'm expecting quite a bit of difference over factory set up.
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2016, 08:03 PM   #97
STINKY NINJA
Banned

I do appreciate the info you guys are giving me though.
I also have new ph4000 sitting in the shed,not sure if ill be selling them,keeping the ones I have fitted now or buying some other ones!
So much info to process,my brain is melting after dealing with my daughter all day.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:05 PM   #98
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
My eb doesn't have a 342 stroker though so it makes a lot less torque compared to a t3 would,im honestly only worried about low end power anyway,my motor only revs to 5000rpm and sits mostly under 3500,i need to go for something different if it will make more low end torque compared to my hitech headers.
Pretty sure advance headers are made for gt40p into e series as well,might have a look at them.
I might come across as harsh but im only after the correct info,i was **** at computers at school,nobody taught me computer ettiquite
If these are the correct pipe sizes for your headers -

Primary Secondary Outlet
1 1/2" 1 5/8" 2 1/4"

Then you're probably as good as you'll get for low end grunt, depending of course on the pipe lengths.
Changing to a different header in your case won't achieve much.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:14 PM   #99
STINKY NINJA
Banned

My hitech extractors aren't even mandrel bent... ffs
Old 01-08-2016, 08:17 PM   #100
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
My hitech extractors aren't even mandrel bent... ffs
Neither are my custom made jobbies on the P250, nor is the rest of the system.

Shallow radius press bends have almost no negative consequence to flow.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:24 PM   #101
STINKY NINJA
Banned

I suppose my ugly *** hitech anorexic headers might be called into service for a bit longer,like forever.
Thanks for all the info guys,might put this one to bed.
2 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2016, 03:42 PM   #102
BOTTLEDUP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Leave the headers you have Shannon, I seriously doubt you'd notice enough of a gain to justify the change.

FWIW most of you know I fitted Difillipos to the TE along with bashed out cats (as received, it wasn't me officer!!), on the dyno we gained horsepower above 4800rpm, approximately 5hp by 6000. Below 4800 it was behind the stock headers and cats. Recently I had the original pipes refitted as I return the vehicle as close to stock as practical and the improvement in throttle response and torque right off idle is most definitely noticeable. 'Seat of the pants' feel rarely corresponds to a dyno figure, as a dyno cannot measure throttle response or rate of acceleration, and this is exactly where smaller diameter high velocity pipes (headers and cylinder heads as well) really shine.
BOTTLEDUP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2016, 04:00 PM   #103
MrEL
Sick Puppy

On our AUs Ive always just run the Standard Tickford Headers with the collector stretched out to 2.5" with a set of high flow cats.
Never done me any wrong yet.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2016, 04:06 PM   #104
BOTTLEDUP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEL View Post
On our AUs Ive always just run the Standard Tickford Headers with the collector stretched out to 2.5" with a set of high flow cats.
Never done me any wrong yet.
Yes this is an old trick I've seen done many times with good results.
BOTTLEDUP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2016, 05:09 PM   #105
meanfalcon

Just Had a look under my old XR8 I bought new. Got SVO to fit new system going back over ten years ago. I think it was a HM headers set with the cats welded straight on. Pressed bends but Tri Y design, with a 2 1/2" Red back single system. Don't forget the chrome tip. That gave quite a noticeable improvement in performance and fuel economy. Cut open the air box gave it a K&N, eagle leads and Iridium plugs and had it flash tuned. Was OK for an auto, My first ever pass at Calder got a 14.5.

AU II XR8 220kw SVO zorst, G&D Auto
meanfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2016, 05:59 PM   #106
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Exhausts are a brain melt. I've been pondering what to do with my hci NL. Currently its pacies, high flow cats and dual 2.25. Thinking of stepping up to dual 2.5 and cutting off the smaller pacie collectors and making them either 2.5 or 3 inch. Have no idea what the best way to go is though. Simular set ups to mine are making 350rwhp in the US so not sure if the 2.25 inch collectors on the pacies are big enough.

Now its no longer a daily im not too fussed about low down torque. With a high stall going in and already having 3.9's it wont matter too much anyway.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2016, 08:52 PM   #107
OzriderXR8

I've gotten the biggest performance boost I could have ever planned from a totally unexpected source.................getting the transmission fully serviced.

Beforehand the trans would hold onto a gear and not change down when you accelerated until you stomped on it, now the slightest pressure and it smoothly drops a gear, or two, and takes off.

I guess I'm now experiencing what it should have been like all along

AUII XR8 200KW
FG MK2 XR6
Mini 850
Rover P5 3 Litre Mk1
OzriderXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2016, 09:29 PM   #108
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzriderXR8 View Post
I've gotten the biggest performance boost I could have ever planned from a totally unexpected source.................getting the transmission fully serviced.

Beforehand the trans would hold onto a gear and not change down when you accelerated until you stomped on it, now the slightest pressure and it smoothly drops a gear, or two, and takes off.

I guess I'm now experiencing what it should have been like all along
What was done in the service and what did it cost, have you had a chance to look at fuel consumption yet?
Blue Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2016, 10:47 PM   #109
OzriderXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Shadow View Post
What was done in the service and what did it cost, have you had a chance to look at fuel consumption yet?
Basically a full service.. I dropped it off they did stuff I paid them.

Cost me $280 with the Speedo Actuator replaced.

Fuel consumption is actually looking pretty good since I got it done.

AUII XR8 200KW
FG MK2 XR6
Mini 850
Rover P5 3 Litre Mk1
Old 05-08-2016, 11:35 PM   #110
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzriderXR8 View Post
now the slightest pressure and it smoothly drops a gear, or two, and takes off.
No way a 4spd tranny should drop 1~2 gears at the "slightest pressure".

What speed are you doing when this happens, and how "slight" a pressure are we talking about?
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2016, 08:52 AM   #111
OzriderXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
No way a 4spd tranny should drop 1~2 gears at the "slightest pressure".

What speed are you doing when this happens, and how "slight" a pressure are we talking about?
Damn, have they broken it????

AUII XR8 200KW
FG MK2 XR6
Mini 850
Rover P5 3 Litre Mk1
Old 06-08-2016, 09:17 AM   #112
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Whoops
Blue Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2019, 01:57 PM   #113
Climaxxx

Quote:
As I've already said, I've shortened at least 20 Falcon diffs.
I know what it does to economy.

How many have you done?

I can run all my cars on 98 fuel for the next 30 years and still be cheaper than buying a new car.
Hi Sox

I'm looking at changing diff gears other than speedo corrector what else do i need? Probably changing to 3.73 i have a AU3 XR8 Auto Sedan. Do i just dyno it? I need to know everything from start to finish.
Thanks for your help...
Climaxxx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2019, 02:20 PM   #114
Climaxxx

Quote:
Being auto, the gearing is up the poo.
3.9 or 4.1 gears will help a lot.

The standard headers are garbage, throw on some tri-Y's with 1.5" primaries, Advance or Hurricane.
The single 2.5" system will go ok as you're not chasing top end power.

Then a tune with ignition timing advanced and torque reduction removed and you'll be doing skids all over the joint.
Hi Sox

Do you need to change the speedo with a corrector, then get the car dynoed to change the shift patterns in the tranny?

Thanks for your help on an old post.
Climaxxx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2019, 04:12 PM   #115
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climaxxx View Post
Hi Sox

Do you need to change the speedo with a corrector, then get the car dynoed to change the shift patterns in the tranny?

Thanks for your help on an old post.
Just need the corrector, no need for dyno.