Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 19-10-2018, 10:42 AM   #1
Wayne H

Default Festiva engine rattles

I have a 1999 Festiva Auto, only bought it recently and may have been suckered a bit, car was nice to drive when I test drove it and when I picked it up. But the first time I started it from dead cold there were some death rattles coming from the engine, I think the seller might have had the idea to make sure it was warm!
But, once up to temperature it purrs like a kitten, I have had it for a few weeks now and figure it might be time to fix it. A mate has suggested and clogged oil pick up filter, but the oil light goes out immediately. As it has done 165,000 km I am thinking either the cam belt or water pump, it doesn't use any oil, leaks a little bit from various places but a regular clean fixes those smells and drips.
So what do others think?
Great little car other than that issue.

Wayne from SA
Old 20-10-2018, 03:59 PM   #2
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Festiva engine rattles

I can only say that my mums HJ 202 Holden started to get the death rattle, when she fired it up first thing in the morning, had a stupid thing about reving it.
So I heard the rattle, told the old man and he rejected it.
So then I broke a M21 gearbox in my car and had to get one in the next town and off I go in mums car and it started rattling on the highway and then went away then back again and then fine and then coming back the same deal until she started rattling so I slowed down for some km thinking that I could nurse it home and then metal started coming out and bouncing off the road.

$330 that stung me and I had to put the other engine in myself and all.

I know just how Claude Greengrass feels, I I I were were were gust going to get a gearbox and ended up having get a motor as well.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post