Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 26-03-2016, 02:10 PM   #1
bundybear75

Default How many keys can be programmed at once?

Hi all,

I still have the spare key from my Mondeo that was wrecked a day after buying it.

I was wondering if I was to re-case the remote module in one of these:-

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221244146...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

and get the key cut to suit, could I get it programmed and potentially have three keys to fit my new Mondeo?

Cheers

George
bundybear75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2016, 11:42 PM   #2
AGH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: How many keys can be programmed at once?

Hi George....I can only speak for the Falcons but knowing Ford I can't see why they would change a system that makes them money re vehicle keys for the Mondeo. The short answer is no. Unless you have two original keys you can't program another. With the Falcons you can program up to eight keys (including non original keys to that vehicle) but you need two keys in the first place to do this. PM MR FPV. He is based in Sydney. If anyone can guide you he can. Scotty D (work) knows where he is. Cheers.

PS: just re-read you post....sorry if you have the two original keys (as you mention you would have 3 keys after the re-program) you should be ok. Still check with Mr FPV He is a forum sponsor. No sure if he does Mondeos but if he doesn't he will know who does. Don't suppose you have the owners manual that came with the car. Should give you a guide on how the program subsequent keys.

http://www.mr-fpv.com/

Mondeo owners may be able to give you more accurate info than myself.

Last edited by AGH; 27-03-2016 at 12:07 AM.
AGH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-03-2016, 11:51 PM   #3
bundybear75

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGH View Post
Hi George....I can only speak for the Falcons but knowing Ford I can't see why they would change a system that makes them money re vehicle keys for the Mondeo. The short answer is no. Unless you have two original keys you can't program another. With the Falcons you can program up to eight keys (including non original keys to that vehicle) but you need two keys in the first place to do this. PM MR FVP I think it is. He is based in Sydney. If anyone can guide you he can. Scotty D knows where he is. Cheers.
Hey Tone,

I have both original keys for the one I've got now, plus the spare from the wreck. Was hoping to get a third for the cost of programming but not a big issue.

Cheers
bundybear75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2016, 12:25 AM   #4
AGH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you have the owners manual it shouldn't be an issue. You just need the get the new key cut to the 2nd Mondeo pull out the old transponder put it into the recut key then relearn it to the 2nd Mondeo via the instructions. You can try the instructions in my owners manual if you don't have one but I'm not sure if it would be the same procedure as a Mondeo.
AGH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2016, 10:46 PM   #5
Mondaveo

MC Mondeo manual seems to say yes. Page 32, and you can download the PDF from Ford if you haven't got your hardcopy (or in addition; having a searchable soft copy doesn't hurt!). You can have up to eight remote controls.

Only question mark is, can you reprogram a remote that's already programmed for another car? I'm guessing so, although since programming involves cycling the key in the ignition, you may have to stump up the cost of re-cutting the key blade before you can find out. Although perhaps you could try the procedure for 'additional keys' (step 4 below) using one of your original keys in the ignition to see if the remote will take?

Quote:
Programming a new remote control
1. Insert the key in the ignition.
2. Cycle the key from position 0 to II and then back to 0 four times within six seconds.
3. Leave the key in position 0 and press any button on the remote control within 10 seconds. You will receive confirmation via a chime or LED that programming has been successful.
Note: Further remote controls may be programmed at this stage.
4. Press any button on each additional remote control within 10 seconds of each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2016, 01:09 PM   #6
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Note fundamental difference in process between proximity keys (e.g. MB XR5, possibly Titanium) and other types of remote entry/keys.

I had to get two proximity keys programmed in situ with the car. ... at the dealer.
One existing key and one new one, after a key fob battery change by dealer necessitated a brand new key. Fortunately under warranty.
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2016, 10:40 PM   #7
Mondaveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanv6gt View Post
Note fundamental difference in process between proximity keys (e.g. MB XR5, possibly Titanium) and other types of remote entry/keys.

I had to get two proximity keys programmed in situ with the car. ... at the dealer.
Oh wonderful , the manual is completely silent on the pitfalls of programming proximity keys. Hopefully not something I'll ever have to do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2016, 02:10 PM   #8
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondaveo View Post
MC Mondeo manual seems to say yes. Page 32, and you can download the PDF from Ford if you haven't got your hardcopy (or in addition; having a searchable soft copy doesn't hurt!). You can have up to eight remote controls.

Only question mark is, can you reprogram a remote that's already programmed for another car? I'm guessing so, although since programming involves cycling the key in the ignition, you may have to stump up the cost of re-cutting the key blade before you can find out. Although perhaps you could try the procedure for 'additional keys' (step 4 below) using one of your original keys in the ignition to see if the remote will take?
that will program the key to open/close the car, but will not program the remote to enable the immobilisation system to see it and allow the car to start. that paart needs to be done by Ford. this will add a third remote that will open/close doors and allow car to start. Unfortunately as the key is cut to suit the old car, you will have to find a blank blade and have cut to suit and if possible swap the blade from the new to the old, if that makes sense.
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post