Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 13-03-2016, 07:08 PM   #1
Omega-T
Starter Motor

Default Mondeo Owner Feedback Request

Hi all, I'm looking at replacing my old Falcon wagon and a 2.3L MC Mondeo wagon is currently top of the list. From what I have seen, I quite like the car, but don't know anybody who owns one and I'd want to get an idea of what they are like to own in the longer term before taking the leap.

So I was hoping you might be able to help. What's it like to own the MC Mondeo, in particular the 2.3L petrol? Are there any things to watch out for, surprises (pleasant and unpleasant), big maintenance items or quirks to this car?
Omega-T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2016, 07:49 PM   #2
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's very simple. I owned a MA 2.3 for 2 years, then bought a MB diesel on a runout deal. I still have the MB after 5 years.

The 2.3 petrol Mondeo isn't a bad car, it's just that the diesel is so much better. I could give many reasons why you should buy the diesel, but I'd suggest that you test drive them both, then decide.
Old 13-03-2016, 11:02 PM   #3
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

PS. I'll leave it to others to talk about the Powershift auto on the MC as my MB has an Old School 6 speed auto.
Old 14-03-2016, 12:08 AM   #4
Omega-T
Starter Motor

Default Re: Mondeo Owner Feedback Request

Hah, yeah, the Powershift was actually the main reason I was looking petrol over diesel. I know chances are that I wouldn't have an issue, but it's a car I'd like to be able to run for a fair while and the potential for a dual-clutch needing work doesn't sound appealing. As long as the petrol isn't too sluggish I can be happy with that.

Good to hear that you're happy with yours. It's looking like the MC is a good option.
Old 14-03-2016, 09:48 AM   #5
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

According to this:

http://www.smh.com.au/business/retai...11-gngmhs.html

9% of new cars buyers surveyed (1,500) had 'gear' issues.

There is a lack of reliable information on powershift failure rates so not much can be safely said about it, unless Ford has an epiphany and decides to release the numbers . . .

I'm happy with the diesel/powershift combo, not doing many gear changes per km though.
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2016, 12:39 PM   #6
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Powershift got a bad reputation with Focus dry clutch problems.
The Mondeo DCT is a different gearbox and ?more reliable.
The Getrag 6DCT450 fitted to Mondys contaminates its oil by having clutches operating in it. ?That's why the fluid change interval is 60000km and not ?never as with the torque converters. Servicing costs are a bit steep at about $750 for 'B' service. That doesn't bother me because I do my own using FUCH fluid which can be bought for $300 per 20 litre rather than $50 per litre at Ford.

The main idea of the DCT was to save fuel/emissions. TDCi's 6.4l/100km is fine but that needs balanced against running costs. Same with all the other technology to reduce emissions, ?more to go wrong and harder to fix.

The upside is second hand diesel mondys are ?pretty cheap. You would be better advised to buy another than to get a new gearbox.
Old 14-03-2016, 03:38 PM   #7
Omega-T
Starter Motor

Interesting, thanks. I certainly see the appeal of the diesel and Powershift, but still don't think a DCT is right for my situation. I'm not worried about fuel consumption and only need decent performance, while repair/maintenance issues are important.

Is there anything worth knowing about the 2.3/conventional auto or in the other components? Is there anything to pay attention to, big service items or parts that like to wear quickly?

Edit: Oops, didn't reply directly. Forum skills a little rusty.
Old 14-03-2016, 06:07 PM   #8
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega-T View Post
Interesting, thanks. I certainly see the appeal of the diesel and Powershift, but still don't think a DCT is right for my situation. I'm not worried about fuel consumption and only need decent performance, while repair/maintenance issues are important.

Is there anything worth knowing about the 2.3/conventional auto or in the other components? Is there anything to pay attention to, big service items or parts that like to wear quickly?

The DCT worried me also so I chose a Zetec TDCI with slushbox auto (Sports Automatic not Powershift). It's a solid proven foundation is all. Having never owned a Diesel and always living by 'If I ever do buy one it'll be with a Turbo' I'm smitten with mine.

The 2.3L petrol is a sound engine I'm not sure I've even seen common failures, though it does have a timing belt that you're pretty much wanting to replace either on time or early to be on the safe side or keep you mind at ease. A timing belt that breaks sees the engine lunch itself.

It's also a tad thirsty but that's not a reliability area. Also there are Sports autos that you should look into, the early MC's 2010 had them before changing over to the Powershift DCT. (definitely look into that)
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2016, 06:43 PM   #9
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tyre noise came to my attention after going from an EF falcon to MC mondy, but hell, who wants to drive a boat on the road?
Old 15-03-2016, 01:21 AM   #10
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

The 2.3 petrol is a Mazda engine made by Ford. It has a cam chain, not a belt. Valve clearances are set when the engine is built and never need adjusting. All you need to do is change fluids and filters.

Just remember that the Mondeo weighs nearly as much as a Falcon, it really is underpowered with the 2.3.

The auto is made by Aisin in Japan. Fluid changes are 100,000 km. There is a filter (unlike Honda) but it can't be changed.

Honestly mate, get the diesel with the auto, not the Powershift if you're worried about reliability. The MC is basically a facelift, so no reason not to buy a good MB.
Old 15-03-2016, 10:32 PM   #11
Omega-T
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Tyre noise came to my attention after going from an EF falcon to MC mondy, but hell, who wants to drive a boat on the road?
It's an EF I'm driving at the moment. It has been a great car... but I certainly won't miss the handling!
Old 15-03-2016, 10:36 PM   #12
Omega-T
Starter Motor

Cheers guys, thanks for all your input. I'll keep an eye out for a diesel with the conventional auto... but there doesn't look to be many around, so the petrol shall at least warrant a test drive.

At least if both engines with the slushbox are solid options reliability/service wise, I can forget about all that business and focus on what they feel like on road. It seems like everyone here is pretty happy with the Mondeo as a whole package, so sounds like it is worth top spot on the list.

I'm always keen to hear more if anybody thinks of something else interesting about owning a Mondeo. Again, thanks for the advice thus far!
Old 16-03-2016, 12:49 PM   #13
Mondaveo

Would be interested to hear your impressions - I was Mondeo shopping not too long ago myself, and after researching discounted the 2.3 from my search, but would be interested to know if it happens to surprise.

In MC guise the 2.3 only comes in the base LX, but in the MB it also comes in the midrange Zetec (might in fact be the only option). The Zetec cops fog lamps, alloys, Convers+ display, premium sound system and climate control over the LX. MB Titanium wagons are diesel-only and seem to be rare as hens' teeth.

Thinking about characteristics other than powertrain... The car is Euro so the wiper and indicator stalks are ar$e-about and the bonnet release is in the passenger footwell, but I guess you're aware of that.

I'm not sure when it was introduced, but the MC (at least) has a nifty capless fuelling system that's supposed to admit only the correct-shaped nozzle and prevent mis-fuelling accidents. Can be a little tricky to get the pump nozzle into the filler neck (but I've only had to fill up a couple of times so far!).

The spare wheel for the wagon is by default a space-saver. I'm not sure where the upgrade option comes in, but my Titanium has a"full-size temporary" spare. The floor of the cargo area is raised by foam inserts (with storage cut-outs) to accommodate the extra width of the tyre, so the rear edge of the floor slopes down to meet the bumper at the tailgate opening. It's bit of a pain when loading the car to the gunnels, because stuff placed near the opening wants to roll out off the rear edge . For my usage case, I still prefer the capacity to carry a full-size spare though (if I can find a proper replacement to the off-sized "temporary" wheel).

Also if you happen to find a Titanium, the sports suspension makes the car very low-slung (not that the standard car is on stilts to begin with).

Quote:
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.

Last edited by Mondaveo; 16-03-2016 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Add suspension bit
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-03-2016, 07:21 PM   #14
Binny

After 2 or so years I still love mine.

Good
- Meaty Steering (as Clarkson described it) Even in my povvo LX the ride and handling is great. It feels so solid and unflappable.
- Plenty roomy and the liftback is much more practical than a sedan. I picked up a new oven on the way home from work one day. Just put it straight in the boot in it's box without even folding the seat forward.
- Economy (Diesel) is unbelievable. Averages the same L/100 as our manual Nissan Micra but gets double the range due to the tank size.
- Good for towing smallish loads. I'm talking box trailers full of garbage, motorbikes on trailers etc. Does it better than my AU3 wagon did. The AU's larger rating is irrelevant to me because I wouldn't tow a caravan or large boat with either.
- Safety tech - Even the LX has 7 airbags and stability control etc. The titanium has even more goodies.
Powershift - I prefer manuals but as far as autos go this is the best auto I've had, when over 15km/h. The faster you go the better it is.

Not so good
- Chance of costly repairs. Yes the potential Powershift and DPF issues play on your mind. Sure all cars have issues but there is more risk to Mondeo ownership than say, a Camry or Mazda 6.
- Creaky door seals. As per some threads in here Gummi Pflege helps but I have never been able to eliminate it.
- Uncommon tyre sizes on some variants. 215/55-16 cost me close to $200 a corner. Bridgestone wanted $226 for Potenzas. If they were 215/60-16 the same potenzas were $140.
- Its quite low (but thats good too!). I sit way lower in it than our other car. If you have a steep driveway or have to traverse a lot of speedhumps be careful. I ripped a heatshield off leaving a rest area that had a bit of lip at the exit.
- low tech entertainment system. Makes the interior look dated too. The UK models from circa 2011 with a big touch screen look heaps better. My LX has no bluetooth streaming or USB either, only Aux input. :(
Old 31-03-2016, 01:38 PM   #15
Omega-T
Starter Motor

So, I finally got a chance to test drive a 2.3 MC LX wagon. In my area it was either petrol or Powershift and I wasn't keen on the Powershift. The petrol drove quite nicely, I liked it and now have my very own Mondeo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondaveo View Post
Would be interested to hear your impressions - I was Mondeo shopping not too long ago myself, and after researching discounted the 2.3 from my search, but would be interested to know if it happens to surprise.
So far, I wouldn't say it surprises, more that it's perfectly competent. Relative to the other 4-cyl petrols I have driven, it's pretty decent. There are a few country roads nearby where visibility from the intersections isn't great and I'm perfectly confident in the 2.3 being able to pull away. No trouble in traffic.

I guess how you see the 2.3 depends on what you do and how you see your Mondeo. 4-cyl performance is fine for me in an LX that's mostly doing A to B. The 2.3 delivers everything I need from it and more power/performance would just be a luxury. But for a more premium car in the Titanium spec, I can see "decent 4-cyl performance" as being somewhat underwhelming compared to the rest of the car.

Quote:
The spare wheel for the wagon is by default a space-saver. I'm not sure where the upgrade option comes in, but my Titanium has a"full-size temporary" spare. The floor of the cargo area is raised by foam inserts (with storage cut-outs) to accommodate the extra width of the tyre, so the rear edge of the floor slopes down to meet the bumper at the tailgate opening. It's bit of a pain when loading the car to the gunnels, because stuff placed near the opening wants to roll out off the rear edge . For my usage case, I still prefer the capacity to carry a full-size spare though (if I can find a proper replacement to the off-sized "temporary" wheel).
Interesting. My LX actually came with a full-size spare and it's exactly the same as the other tyres - 215/55R16. The boot floor doesn't sit perfectly on the foam, nor perfectly flush with the tailgate, but it's flat at least. I was OK with having a space-saver, but there is that extra peace of mind with the full-size.

Quote:
Also if you happen to find a Titanium, the sports suspension makes the car very low-slung (not that the standard car is on stilts to begin with).
The suspension was actually a bit of a plus for the LX in my eyes - rough patches of road and the odd pothole hit are inevitable around my area. I've found sports suspension in other models a little unforgiving for my liking... but the LX handles it beautifully.

All the input from everyone was great... and I'm really starting to understand why everyone here likes the Mondeo - I'm very much enjoying driving it.
2 users like this post:
Old 31-03-2016, 01:59 PM   #16
Omega-T
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binny View Post
Meaty Steering (as Clarkson described it) Even in my povvo LX the ride and handling is great. It feels so solid and unflappable.
I just bought one - and I see what you mean about the steering and ride. The weight in the steering is fantastic - so nice relative to some other cars I've driven where it's too light to feel. And the ride is solid, but forgiving - I'm very happy with it.
Quote:
Uncommon tyre sizes on some variants. 215/55-16 cost me close to $200 a corner. Bridgestone wanted $226 for Potenzas. If they were 215/60-16 the same potenzas were $140.
So what tyres did you end up going for at that price? I'll be running the rubber that's on it for a little while at least, but I'll have to consider some decent (but cost-effective) rubber for it next time.
Quote:
low tech entertainment system. Makes the interior look dated too. The UK models from circa 2011 with a big touch screen look heaps better. My LX has no bluetooth streaming or USB either, only Aux input. :(
As much as I love technology in general... I'd rather some physical buttons than a touchscreen in my car. The lack of Bluetooth audio streaming is a bit sad though - have you found a nice alternative to that? I'm thinking of leaving a cheap bluetooth to aux adapter (one with track skip buttons) in one of the 12V ports. I'd like to figure out how long they stay powered for though first.
This user likes this post:
Old 31-03-2016, 08:53 PM   #17
Binny

Quote:
I just bought one - and I see what you mean about the steering and ride. The weight in the steering is fantastic - so nice relative to some other cars I've driven where it's too light to feel. And the ride is solid, but forgiving - I'm very happy with it.

So what tyres did you end up going for at that price? I'll be running the rubber that's on it for a little while at least, but I'll have to consider some decent (but cost-effective) rubber for it next time.

As much as I love technology in general... I'd rather some physical buttons than a touchscreen in my car. The lack of Bluetooth audio streaming is a bit sad though - have you found a nice alternative to that? I'm thinking of leaving a cheap bluetooth to aux adapter (one with track skip buttons) in one of the 12V ports. I'd like to figure out how long they stay powered for though first.
Congrats on your purchase. Nothing wrong with the 2.3 and TBH is a lower risk long term proposition.
Yeah it steers great and I think the 16s give it a nice balance of ride/handling.
The goodyears ended up lasting over 90,000km but had gone all hard and were cracking. I ended up getting Yokohama Blueearth AE50 when they were offering 4 for the price of 3. The were about 180 each. Not a very sporty tyre but I'm happy with them. Initial turn in is better than the Good Years and outright grip is about the same. I recently worked out they like higher pressure than the goodyears and handle better without affecting the ride.

With the audio I use my phone in a cradle with the aux cable plugged in. I then use voice commands to tell the phone to play music, call or text people navigate somewhere etc. It's a bit fiddly but does the job and I don't have to touch it when driving.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:05 AM   #18
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm sure you'll enjoy the Mondeo. The 2.3 engine is the Ford made Mazda engine from the 6. They like revs and go well if you use Sport mode on the auto.

The ride/handling balance with 16" wheels and the standard suspension is great on the generally poor roads in NZ. I fitted a set of Ford 17" wheels to my MA but changed back to the 16s after a few months.

Michelin Primacy 3 tyres really suit the car. They are a little soft if you corner hard, but that would be the only weakness I've found in the 2 years since I fitted them. Really good wear also.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:50 PM   #19
Mondaveo

Quote:
Interesting. My LX actually came with a full-size spare and it's exactly the same as the other tyres - 215/55R16. The boot floor doesn't sit perfectly on the foam, nor perfectly flush with the tailgate, but it's flat at least. I was OK with having a space-saver, but there is that extra peace of mind with the full-size.
Ah, now it makes sense to me - I had wondered why my Titanium should have a spare that's not a space-saver, and yet is only-almost-not-quite the same as the road wheels (235/45 R18). I just checked and yep, the spare is a 215/55 R16. Evidently, the spare is actually a proper road wheel for LX, but because it's a different size to the alloys on Titanium (and Zetec?) it gets the "80kph limit/temporary use only" sticker.

Quote:
Groomy posted a hack that enables you to stream audio over Bluetooth as a voice call, the audio quality is reportedly only really good enough for podcasts though.

In my opinion the best argument for an in-car screen would be to facilitate a reversing camera display (a glaring omission from Mondeo's feature set right up until the MD). If I had ended up with an LX, it was in my plans to do an aftermarket installation for this purpose. As it happened, getting the higher-grade model actually put me in bit of a quandary because the Sony head unit is integrated with the Convers+ dashboard display, and I don't want to lose that functionality nor lose out on the Sony's sound quality... that said, the 'premium' Sony unit can't pull off Bluetooth streaming either...!

Quote:
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2016, 12:41 AM   #20
Binny

At least you have USB!
I'd be happy with that cause then i could stick a usb full of music in tbere. Otherwise the sound quality and Bluetooth are very good for a Povvo pack.