Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 20-01-2016, 08:14 PM   #1
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Default 2015 Mondeo Trend Fuel Economy

Hi guys,

We recently purchased a near new 2015 Mondeo Trend Diesel (2.0T) with 4000km on the clock. We are very impressed with the car overall but two things are niggling at us:

-The fuel economy isn't anywhere near what is advertised. With country driving included we are lucky to get 600km out of a tank. This is especially disappointing as we sold our diesel X-Trail hoping to get better mileage and it's worse than a 2011 car. Now we know it never matches advertised mileage but this is barely half of the advertised mileage at 1100-1300km (according to Redbook)

-The start-stop system is extremely unreliable. It goes days on end without working or if it does work, the car turns off for less than ten seconds and then starts again for no apparent reason. This would be contributing a little to the fuel economy issues but not to the extent of hundreds of km's per tank

What is everyone else getting for economy in city driving, and is there any advice for the start stop issue? We will likely take it in to Ford soon which is disappointing as the Nissan was flawless for 80,000km.
Old 20-01-2016, 09:06 PM   #2
Binny

Default Re: 2015 Mondeo Trend Fuel Economy

How many litres does it take to fill after the 600km? It's the L/100km that matters as range depends on the size of the tank.
Old 21-01-2016, 09:17 AM   #3
stuart

Without your full driving profile eg number of stop/starts vs continuous km running, acceleration, towing a trailer, etc no one can make a statement about the range you are getting other than it should be much more for a full tank of fuel.

4000 km for a diesel is basically new and not run in - from where did you purchase the car - dealer under warranty or private?
MA TDCi Mondeo sedan
AU Fairmont sedan
EL Futura sedan
EF Futura wagon
XD 4 Ltr sedan
stuart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2016, 08:27 PM   #4
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

600 km from a tank seems too low. How many litres did it take to fill it?
Old 21-01-2016, 08:29 PM   #5
Paulg05

I've got the same spec vehicle as you Quicksand. ( Picked up September 2015 )
Completed around 13k, my driving consists of 80% Highway 20% City my average litres per 100km's has not dropped below 5.8. If i was to be game enough i probably could get 1000 km's to the tank under those conditions. Sounds like there is a problem with your Stop / Start system.
Every time i release the hand brake i always turn off the Stop /Start function. It's so annoying.
By the way, how is your A/C performance. Mine is super cold on 30 plus degree days, i have heard some complaints from other owners.
Paulg05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2016, 10:40 AM   #6
borntoshop666

I have a Ambiente Diesel Wagon since August 2015. I have done 38000 km and my L/100km has dropped from 7-8lL down to about 5.5-6.5L
I drive 70 % Sydney Metro and 30% Highway.
I reset the Trip meter every Morning and from the upper Blue Mountains to inner City the Car averages 4.5L, which then goes up to about 6.5L.
Air Con is much much better than in my MC Wagon.
BTW, I never use the Start Stop, always turn it off when I release the Hand Brake
Old 23-01-2016, 10:48 AM   #7
Binny

Quote:
Originally Posted by borntoshop666 View Post
I have a Ambiente Diesel Wagon since August 2015. I have done 38000 km and my L/100km has dropped from 7-8lL down to about 5.5-6.5L
I drive 70 % Sydney Metro and 30% Highway.
I reset the Trip meter every Morning and from the upper Blue Mountains to inner City the Car averages 4.5L, which then goes up to about 6.5L.
Air Con is much much better than in my MC Wagon.
BTW, I never use the Start Stop, always turn it off when I release the Hand Brake
Wow 38k already, impressive.

So what's the verdict are you happy with it? Any issues?
Old 23-01-2016, 11:57 AM   #8
tce
BA WAGON

Got ex-demo 4500 on the clock 7.4l/100km reset trip and got down to 6ish and then back to 7.4 with my wife's normal driving 1500k. Now I have it for work ladder on the roof and 100kg in boot 2000k and up to 7.6. My old 2012 was doing 8.2 - 8.4 with the same load and drag. I'll have to see what it ends up at (I'll be happy if it stays under 8).
My driving style is not slow and steady.
Old 23-01-2016, 01:30 PM   #9
borntoshop666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binny View Post
Wow 38k already, impressive.

So what's the verdict are you happy with it? Any issues?
Yes very happy
Panel Fit and Finish is very good but I have seen some examples where the Tailgate doesn't line up very well.
Paint is very good.
No Rattles but there is a consistent Squeak inside the Front Door Trim, can be a bit annoying, I have tried a little bit of Vaseline on the Doorseals and that seems to have done the trick.
The Steering, electric now, is not as direct and communicative as in my MB and MC but you get used to it.
No Problems with the Interior Fit and Finish but the Silver Trim looks and feels a bit cheap.
I miss my Wheel Backrest Adjustment, as it now has a Lever.
The Suspension is softer than it was in my MB Titanium or MC LX, but in return it is so much more quiet and compliant over rough Surfaces.
One Design Fault I discovered is, that when you have the Centre Vents turned upwards all the Way, Phone Conversations sound like I am in a Wind Tunnel. the Air blows straight into the Microphones in the Roof Console. they need to be turned down half way.
Air Con works much better than in previous Models.
Space right out back is also a bit tighter than before but all in all, I would get one if I had to pay for it [I would get a Titanium though in Panther Black]
Mine is a Company Car
cheers
Old 23-01-2016, 01:42 PM   #10
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by borntoshop666 View Post
Yes very happy
Panel Fit and Finish is very good but I have seen some examples where the Tailgate doesn't line up very well.
Paint is very good.
No Rattles but there is a consistent Squeak inside the Front Door Trim, can be a bit annoying, I have tried a little bit of Vaseline on the Doorseals and that seems to have done the trick.
The Steering, electric now, is not as direct and communicative as in my MB and MC but you get used to it.
No Problems with the Interior Fit and Finish but the Silver Trim looks and feels a bit cheap.
I miss my Wheel Backrest Adjustment, as it now has a Lever.
The Suspension is softer than it was in my MB Titanium or MC LX, but in return it is so much more quiet and compliant over rough Surfaces.
One Design Fault I discovered is, that when you have the Centre Vents turned upwards all the Way, Phone Conversations sound like I am in a Wind Tunnel. the Air blows straight into the Microphones in the Roof Console. they need to be turned down half way.
Air Con works much better than in previous Models.
Space right out back is also a bit tighter than before but all in all, I would get one if I had to pay for it [I would get a Titanium though in Panther Black]
Mine is a Company Car
cheers
use gummy pflege for the door rubbers. softens them and stops squeaks
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-03-2016, 09:50 PM   #11
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Hey guys thanks for sharing and sorry for the late response. We got about 1100km out of a tank as part of a long distance drive from Sydney to country Victoria, though city driving still averages about 650 to 700km. My wife drives it and she is not an aggressive driver so i will mention it to Ford on next service.

Regarding the stop/start feature, having read the manual we understand the system better now. According to the manual, there are several preconditions required for the system to work. For example, it seems as though passenger comfort is (understandably) a higher priority than fuel economy. When we first got the car it was in the middle of summer. The system has a feature that if the aircon is turned on and the cabin cannot sustain the desired temperature with the car off, the car either won't turn off (to keep the occupants cool), or it will turn off but then turn back on shortly after if it detects the temp rising too far from the temp set on the ICC. Or something to that effect. Inb this scenario, turn the aircon off and it stops and starts until the cows come home with no worries, as the car doesn't need to meet a temperature requirement. Lots of other scenarios are taken into account so i suggest reading the manual as i should have done ;)

Overall, loving the car and we can see why they are a smash hit globally.
This user likes this post:
Old 26-03-2016, 08:20 PM   #12
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksand View Post
We got about 1100km out of a tank as part of a long distance drive from Sydney to country Victoria, though city driving still averages about 650 to 700km.
Sounds about right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksand View Post
My wife drives it and she is not an aggressive driver so i will mention it to Ford on next service.
You don't have to be a non-aggressive driver, more so a relaxed driver to achieve better, acceleration is a big factor and sometimes you can't get around it if you want to keep to the rest of the traffic flow.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2016, 08:46 PM   #13
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, smooth and quick is the way to drive them. A turbo diesel will run most efficiently when it's got some boost, you certainly don't want it running at low revs and changing up at 2,000 rpm.
Old 27-03-2016, 07:59 PM   #14
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrin View Post
Sounds about right.

You don't have to be a non-aggressive driver, more so a relaxed driver to achieve better, acceleration is a big factor and sometimes you can't get around it if you want to keep to the rest of the traffic flow.
We had a look at the trip details this weekend and she has only done 150km but the trip time is 6.5 hours. With aircon on, start/stop not as active and lots of constant acceleration in traffic, that begins to explain the poor urban results. I imagine the car might do better in an environment that is more free flowing like a country town or a smaller city like Perth.

***Insert meme about flamin Sydney traffic here***